Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Expansion draft in 2 years will provide opportunity to shed a higher salary player by also giving up a highly regarded prospect. Something like a Killorn and Joseph should do it.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Expansion draft in 2 years will provide opportunity to shed a higher salary player by also giving up a highly regarded prospect. Something like a Killorn and Joseph should do it.

Good point. Callahan's NMC should be gone by then right? We won't have to protect him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I'm not trading Joseph to get rid of Killorn. Killorn is not overpaid nor is he declining, he NTC is modified in 20-21 so will be easier to move those years. If we go by the last expansion rules we protect Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Gourde, Miller, Palat and Johnson. That leaves Killorn as the best available unless Cirelli keeps up his play and looks like a legit 3C. It's possible they would want Killorn so it wouldn't cost much, if anything we can pay a lot less than Joseph to entice them to take him, he's not that bad where we need to get rid of him.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
You don’t need to waive to be traded to a team on your list. He needs to waive or approve trades to teams that are not in the list. If he submits his list of 10 teams ... we can move him to any of the teams on the list without him needing to approve the trade. That is my understanding unless something has changed. We just don’t know how many teams are on that list.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You don’t need to waive to be traded to a team on your list. He needs to waive or approve trades to teams that are not in the list. If he submits his list of 10 teams ... we can move him to any of the teams on the list without him needing to approve the trade. That is my understanding unless something has changed. We just don’t know how many teams are on that list.

He just doesn't submit a list on July 1st, they have to ask him to do so. Once the list is in he can be sent to any team on it but what teams are on it and if they are even interested is the bigger question. He's not a desirable piece and at this stage he will only want to go to a playoff team in which I can't see any of them having interest in him, even with some retention, you can get his production from an ELC player.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm not trading Joseph to get rid of Killorn. Killorn is not overpaid nor is he declining, he NTC is modified in 20-21 so will be easier to move those years. If we go by the last expansion rules we protect Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Gourde, Miller, Palat and Johnson. That leaves Killorn as the best available unless Cirelli keeps up his play and looks like a legit 3C. It's possible they would want Killorn so it wouldn't cost much, if anything we can pay a lot less than Joseph to entice them to take him, he's not that bad where we need to get rid of him.
Our defenseman core will be tough to protect by then sergachev and hedman will be the two we protect for sure who would be the 3rd mcdonagh if we resign him long term ? Foote will probably only be a one year pro by then so he should be exempt.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Our defenseman core will be tough to protect by then sergachev and hedman will be the two we protect for sure who would be the 3rd mcdonagh if we resign him long term ? Foote will probably only be a one year pro by then so he should be exempt.

SY does some deals like he did last time I bet.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If Gourde has another season like this one he’ll get a lot more than $3.5m as a UFA. We could probably lock him up at $3-3.5M if we do it this summer but not if we wait until the next one.

Also the expansion draft likely won’t be until 2020 at the earliest so while it may offer us an opportunity to move a big contract it won’t be in time to help us.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Not really. Will be Hedman, Sergachev and McDonagh if we keep him. Foote most likely is exempt and the rest aren't proven yet and might not be at the time of the draft.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
SY does some deals like he did last time I bet.

Shouldn't have to. Unless he really wants to hold onto Killorn. Cirelli and his class of rookies are all possible but unless one takes off to be a top 6 guy then we have enough depth to lose one. We could also leave Gourde exposed as he will be in his very late 20's and one of the kids could take over for him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He just doesn't submit a list on July 1st, they have to ask him to do so. Once the list is in he can be sent to any team on it but what teams are on it and if they are even interested is the bigger question. He's not a desirable piece and at this stage he will only want to go to a playoff team in which I can't see any of them having interest in him, even with some retention, you can get his production from an ELC player.
I don't agree. Why isn't he a desirable piece? He's good for 15+ goals and 40 points in the regular season and he has a solid playoff record. His two-way game is alright and he can slot anywhere between the top line and the 3rd line. His $4.45M cap hit is pretty decent from today's perspective actually, especially with cap expected to continue to rise over the next couple of years. Given his experience and the fact that he has an extra gear in the playoffs, a playoff team might be especially interested in adding him for a deep run.

And again, we don't have to move him as has been pointed out by Werewolf and others.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't agree. Why isn't he a desirable piece? He's good for 15+ goals and 40 points in the regular season and he has a solid playoff record. His two-way game is alright and he can slot anywhere between the top line and the 3rd line. His $4.45M cap hit is pretty decent from today's perspective actually, especially with cap expected to continue to rise over the next couple of years. Given his experience and the fact that he has an extra gear in the playoffs, a playoff team might be especially interested in adding him for a deep run.

And again, we don't have to move him as has been pointed out by Werewolf and others.

I was talking about Callahan not Killorn. This JT Miller thread turned into every other player but him it seems.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So how about this Miller dude?

Hopefully he gets super hot for a couple of weeks. Preferably starting around the 2nd week of April til the 1st week of June playing with Stamkos and Kucherov. Truth be told he is big time trade bait like everyone else has said. For as much as I appreciated Namestnikov and his improvement this year the situation was going to be no different for him. I don't know where the money to pay Miller a reasonable salary like $4 million AAV is gonna come from. Not to get too far off topic but Brayden Point is knock knock knockin on heaven's door to becoming the best 2C we've had since Brad Richards.

As I said before I'd like to see Miller traded to Vegas for the rights to Nikita Gusev and maybe something like a draft pick. Sit on it for the next 16 months and see if we can sure the best non NHL player in the world to our team. If Kovalchuk does in fact leave SKA for the NHL next year it sets a motion for Gusev to maybe do the same. It's nothing personal to Miller but this was always going to be a Vladdy problem and now it's been dumped on Miller because he's here now. And given the fact that Miller has jumped on our team like great balls of fire it's an even bigger problem.

In the meantime I am enjoying him being a bulldog out there. His physicality is a welcome sight

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why would we trade Miller (a sure-thing) for Gusev who's not even close to guaranteed to come over.......................? Yeah I'll keep Miller over taking a chance on Gusev coming over and busting.

Oh and Gusev wouldn't be cheap either.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why would we trade Miller (a sure-thing) for Gusev who's not even close to guaranteed to come over.......................? Yeah I'll keep Miller over taking a chance on Gusev coming over and busting.

That and Gusev is redundant on this roster. Oh, a small, shifty, skilled forward? We don't have any of those!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I don't look at Miller as a sure thing. Anyone can come to the best team in hockey and put up great numbers for a few months. The only sure thing about Miller is that he is what he is -a slightly more talented Killorn mold that cannot stay engaged through the regular season and is a ghost in the playoffs. Even worse than Callahan and that's saying something. Unless Miller disproves me in the playoffs he's not anything I want longer than a rental. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos and Kucherov. It takes something really special to mess that up. Forget it. Trade him.

I know you've seen the film on Gusev. We all have. That guy isn't busting. His talent was never a question, it was if he'd actually play here. For what it's worth Miller would be one of the highest paid players in the KHL at his $2.75 million AAV due to the dollar/ruble exchange rate and it is very highly unlikely that Gusev even makes that much right now. It's not 50 goal Kovalchuk, it's a guy who has never played in the NHL before. If anything the contract Gusev signs would probably be a discount compared to Miller.

I meant what I said about taking back Gusev. He's probably one of the top 10 players in the entire world still not in the NHL. To me that's a risk worth taking.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't look at Miller as a sure thing. Anyone can come to the best team in hockey and put up great numbers for a few months. The only sure thing about Miller is that he is what he is -a slightly more talented Killorn mold that cannot stay engaged through the regular season and is a ghost in the playoffs. Even worse than Callahan and that's saying something. Unless Miller disproves me in the playoffs he's not anything I want longer than a rental. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos and Kucherov. It takes something really special to mess that up. Forget it. Trade him.

I know you've seen the film on Gusev. We all have. That guy isn't busting. His talent was never a question, it was if he'd actually play here. For what it's worth Miller would be one of the highest paid players in the KHL at his $2.75 million AAV due to the dollar/ruble exchange rate and it is very highly unlikely that Gusev even makes that much right now. It's not 50 goal Kovalchuk, it's a guy who has never played in the NHL before. If anything the contract Gusev signs would probably be a discount compared to Miller.

I meant what I said about taking back Gusev. He's probably one of the top 10 players in the entire world still not in the NHL. To me that's a risk worth taking.

Miller is about to top 50 points in consecutive seasons, something Palat & Johnson haven't done in years. It doesn't matter what Gusev makes right now because he'll be 26 when his deal expires, in the middle of his prime and will be one of the top KHL players if not the top player in the league at that time. He will easily take what Kovalchuk is making on his next contract if not more - no so he wouldn't come here and risk that for pennies on the dollar, not worth the risk for him not worth the risk for us.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That and Gusev is redundant on this roster. Oh, a small, shifty, skilled forward? We don't have any of those!

Since when does that matter? We lost out on a Cup twice because the guys we have stop scoring at the drop of a hat -not because they're small, shifty and skilled. Versus the Hawks when Johnson got hurt that was it we were freaking done. Game over. No one else could step up. The next year, Kucherov got cold after game 5 and that was it. You had Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Drouin.... all rearing and ready to go! We scored 3 goals combined in game 6 and 7.

The only reason anything is different this year is because Gourde and Point don't suck out loud. If we were left to our old roster without them we'd be duking it out with Toronto to see who gets home ice.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Miller is about to top 50 points in consecutive seasons, something Palat & Johnson haven't done in years. It doesn't matter what Gusev makes right now because he'll be 26 when his deal expires, in the middle of his prime and will be one of the top KHL players if not the top player in the league at that time, he'd easily take what Kovalchuk is making right now over there - no so he wouldn't come here and risk that for pennies on the dollar, not worth the risk for him not worth the risk for us.

Agree. Dont think Gusev is coming over unless its a nice deal. SY did good in using him as a piece to get rid of Garrisons contract.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Miller is about to top 50 points in consecutive seasons, something Palat & Johnson haven't done in years. It doesn't matter what Gusev makes right now because he'll be 26 when his deal expires, in the middle of his prime and will be one of the top KHL players if not the top player in the league at that time, he'd easily take what Kovalchuk is making right now over there - no so he wouldn't come here and risk that for pennies on the dollar, not worth the risk for him not worth the risk for us.

You can say the same for any player who comes from the KHL whether it's Panarin or Dadonov. For every one of those guys you get a Plotnikov and Shipachyov as well. The risk is up to Gusev and if he wants to play with his childhood friend on a team that *knock on wood* wins the Cup this year .

If we could somehow get one of the best players in the world then why pass it up? Money issues? Miller is gonna cost a hell of a lot more than Gusev if he actually does produce come playoff time

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And for what it's worth I don't want Miller traded straight up for the negotiating rights, VGK would be adding other assets like a pick or prospect. Negotiating rights alone are not worth J.T Miller. It's a sweetener. McPhee has to deal with Gusev all the same as Yzerman.

At worst this provides us what will become precious cap space when negotiating with McDonagh, Kucherov, Point, Gourde, etc

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You can say the same for any player who comes from the KHL whether it's Panarin or Dadonov. For every one of those guys you get a Plotnikov and Shipachyov as well. The risk is up to Gusev and if he wants to play with his childhood friend on a team that *knock on wood* wins the Cup this year .

If we could somehow get one of the best players in the world then why pass it up? Money issues? Miller is gonna cost a hell of a lot more than Gusev if he actually does produce come playoff time

In which case Miller will have proved himself as a fit for the team and a playoff performer on the top-line.......why would we give that up for question marks? Not a solid argument as you've just listed yourself the risk factor. Also don't need Kucherov getting attached to one of his buddies again and if he busts or has to ride the pine because he can't transition creating another stir in the background - best to leave them separate right now, not like Kuch is lacking in talent to play with.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
In which case Miller will have proved himself as a fit for the team and a playoff performer on the top-line.......why would we give that up for question marks? Not a solid argument as you've just listed yourself the risk factor. Also don't need Kucherov getting attached to one of his buddies again and if he busts or has to ride the pine because he can't transition creating another stir in the background - best to leave them separate right now, not like Kuch is lacking in talent to play with.

You're the one calling it a risk factor, I'm simply acknowledging it. I'm not worried about risk at all otherwise I would not advocate the move. And let's have Miller prove something in the playoffs first. The guy has 1 career goal.

If anything I'm under the impression there's no way he's not odd man out anyway. Might as well get an asset and try for Gusev again to see if it works.

Gusev isn't going to cost what people think. The worst possible thing that happens is that we lose Miller and Gusev stays in Russia. We will survive no matter what. I just want to see us take a stab at signing a great player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad