J.Roenick on Fan590 talking about Subban and respect

Lucius

Feb 20, 2007
Halifax, NS
Yeah I agree, it`s got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It took him a long time to say anything good about Crosby. Called him the "Golden boy"and refused to even say his name until he just had to.....I`ve always like Don Cherry in the past,but for the last two years, I`ve noticed he has hardly said a nice word about the play of the Habs. That really p***** me off for awhile,but then it occured to me how Don does such a fantastic job at supporting our Canadian troops. IMO that`s the only team that REALLY matters. Why would Don like the Habs ? Lets face it, the Habs have caused him nothing but grief for many many years. And I hope many more years to come .....GO HABS GO !!!!!

Wow, I am shocked, but I am going to defend Cherry! (Sorry!)

He was very complimentary during last year's playoffs as I recall.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Have to admit to a guilt-free sense of shadenfreude
listening to all the Leafs fans on the radio
seriously angry at how their team has been managed.

Pretty funny stuff !

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't agree with what Cherry has said about P.K. but i don't think it has anything to do with race, or bigotry.

Cherry on the same show did not want to play any clips of Ignila screwing up in a game played the previous night. For those of you who are impartial you'll remember this played out on air between him & Maclean.

Cherry is also singing the praises of Kadri - a kid of Lebanese descent and a Muslim if I'm not mistaken.

Cherry was one of the first to call Lecavalier the greatest player in the world a few years ago. He did the same with Roy & Brodeur.

Naw, i really believe he has a code and if any player breaks that code he'll call him out.

He just needs to revise that code cause he's dead wrong about P.K.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
The problem with Cherry is that he hasn't adapted to how things work in the modern NHL.

Cherry is referring to a certain unspoken code of pro hockey player conduct that simply has not been in place in a very, very long time. It was in place when he was a NHL coach, but not any longer. The game has changed, but Cherry has largely chosen to not adapt his thinking to go along with that.

Cherry simply isn't the right man to be commenting on the modern NHL. A lot of what he said would be a very accurate reflection of how the NHL worked back in the 70s and much of the 80s, and maybe even a bit into the 90s. But not now.

Unlike most here, I actually like Cherry. I appreciate his frank honesty (I'd rather harsh unvarnished honest opinion than sugarcoated pretentiousness - this is also why I tend to like Pierre Maguire). And his support for our men and women in uniform is simply fantastic.

But it's time for Cherry to retire. He's just become too out of touch with how the modern NHL works.

As for Roenick... wow, that's quite the comment coming from him, as I'm pretty sure he played with Richards in Philly. If a former teammate of Richards' in Philly is supporting PK here, then you just know that Richards is wrong on this one.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
The problem with Cherry is that he hasn't adapted to how things work in the modern NHL.

Cherry is referring to a certain unspoken code of pro hockey player conduct that simply has not been in place in a very, very long time. It was in place when he was a NHL coach, but not any longer. The game has changed, but Cherry has largely chosen to not adapt his thinking to go along with that.

Cherry simply isn't the right man to be commenting on the modern NHL. A lot of what he said would be a very accurate reflection of how the NHL worked back in the 70s and much of the 80s, and maybe even a bit into the 90s. But not now.

Unlike most here, I actually like Cherry. I appreciate his frank honesty (I'd rather harsh unvarnished honest opinion than sugarcoated pretentiousness - this is also why I tend to like Pierre Maguire). And his support for our men and women in uniform is simply fantastic.

But it's time for Cherry to retire. He's just become too out of touch with how the modern NHL works.

As for Roenick... wow, that's quite the comment coming from him, as I'm pretty sure he played with Richards in Philly. If a former teammate of Richards' in Philly is supporting PK here, then you just know that Richards is wrong on this one.

Don Cherry goes through life trying to prove he is right about everything. How many coach's corner episodes have old tracks replayed to say "I told you so". Unfortunately he gives short shrift to all the times he was wrong

He keeps talking about knowing hockey and being able to pick talent. Fact of the matter is he started the Mississauga Ice Dogs out in the OHL. Even though they got high 1st round picks many years in a row, they stunk. Year in year out the team was absolutely pathetic, while the Brampton team that came in the league at the same time steadily improved. Cherry's knowledge must not be practical knowledge

Is Cherry a bigot? Don't know about that one. But he does run down "foreign players" (anyone that is not American or Canadian) just because of where they are from. When he owned the Ice Dogs he refused to draft any "foreign players". Let's just say his neck has a bad sun burn.

Cherry was really a sad case after the Toronto versus Habs game. "They should have gotten a tie at least". When Price was doing his first star skate around, Cherry commented that he must be going to do an interview. Then saw he was throwing pucks in the crowd and was basically "so what".

The man is an entertainer, not a serious hockey analyst.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Funny thing is that Flyer fans were saying Richards was just being candid, just like JR. And that folks loved JR being so candid:laugh:

Lucius

Feb 20, 2007
Halifax, NS
Funny thing is that Flyer fans were saying Richards was just being candid, just like JR. And that folks loved JR being so candid:laugh:

People are idiots then.

Richards intentionally waited for the Philly media to leave then said it to the Habs reporters, knowing it would create a huge controversy, then played it off as an off handed remark.

The guy should have been fined/suspended. Only in the NHL can a guy make threats and get praise from certain people, but another guy talks about someone with his x-girlfriend and nearly gets run out of hockey.

neofury*

Have to admit to a guilt-free sense of shadenfreude
listening to all the Leafs fans on the radio
seriously angry at how their team has been managed.

Pretty funny stuff !

But but but... I thought Burke was the best GM in the NHL and that Toronto had the best D in the entire league? Funny their PK doesn't seem to be agreeing with the fans :laugh:

Let alone the fact that they've let in a lopsided number of goals against when compared with for.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
People are idiots then.

Richards intentionally waited for the Philly media to leave then said it to the Habs reporters, knowing it would create a huge controversy, then played it off as an off handed remark.

The guy should have been fined/suspended. Only in the NHL can a guy make threats and get praise from certain people, but another guy talks about someone with his x-girlfriend and nearly gets run out of hockey.

Personally I think Richards was frustrated after a loss. He then took that opportunity to try and take a shot. Public trash talk, so to speak. I think he needs to work a bit on understanding what respect is before trying to teach it. Then again he really wasn't trying to teach anything

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
But but but... I thought Burke was the best GM in the NHL and that Toronto had the best D in the entire league? Funny their PK doesn't seem to be agreeing with the fans :laugh:

Let alone the fact that they've let in a lopsided number of goals against when compared with for.

They have truculence.

However, they were outhit by the smurfs.

;)

Lucius

Feb 20, 2007
Halifax, NS
Personally I think Richards was frustrated after a loss. He then took that opportunity to try and take a shot. Public trash talk, so to speak. I think he needs to work a bit on understanding what respect is before trying to teach it. Then again he really wasn't trying to teach anything

I'd buy it if he hadn't waited 45 minutes for the Philly media to leave first. Seems pretty calculated.

habsjunkie2*

JR is bang on.

What pisses me off more than anything, is that Don Cherry IMHO, is the cause of all this BS. He's a sneaky POS and I believe bigotry and prejudice are the underlying motivators on his part. I believe he feels he has the power and the soapbox (HNIC) to sway some players in the league. And judging from one of his lapdogs, Richards, it may not far from the truth.

The fact the CBC, a station driven by our tax dollars, allows Archie Bunker in a gaudy suit, to preach his crap (no matter how veiled) to the Canadian public, is mind boggling.

Agreed, if Cherry doesn't go off about this on HNIC a few weeks back with the whole disresepcting Crosby rant then this would of never came outta Richards mouth. People are gullable and naive and tend to have the inability to think for themselves, so because two asshats have said the same **** it somehow validates their point.

PK gives me something to be extremely greatful for as a Habs fan, a feeling I haven't had with any players in recent memeory. The kid is absolute gold and I love the way he handles himself on and off the time.

Don't let it sway you PK, keep getting in their faces.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Cherry would not be as hard on PK if he was a Leaf or a Bruin....:shakehead anyhow, just drop the puck tonight!!!!

I wonder what flyer fans thought of JR's being candid......:sarcasm:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
JR is bang on.

What pisses me off more than anything, is that Don Cherry IMHO, is the cause of all this BS. He's a sneaky POS and I believe bigotry and prejudice are the underlying motivators on his part. I believe he feels he has the power and the soapbox (HNIC) to sway some players in the league. And judging from one of his lapdogs, Richards, it may not far from the truth.

The fact the CBC, a station driven by our tax dollars, allows Archie Bunker in a gaudy suit, to preach his crap (no matter how veiled) to the Canadian public, is mind boggling.

wish someone could step up on camara and challange cherry, that loud mouth, and ask wy he got guys like that in beantown, and why he loved tucker's ace so much

cherry gets to spout off, and no one, steps on him

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Cherry's a bigot who's anti-Quebec and anti-European, but this time he completely crossed the line. He is endorsing the idea that kids should be physically targeted and injured for being lippy. In Cherry's book, ending someone's career with a cheap-shot is perfectly acceptable, but a rookie talking, especially a kid who plays for the habs, who's a rookie and a minority to boot, that's a legitimate reason a guy should be targeted. "I'm not suggesting it, I'm just predicting it." BULL! That's a shout out to the league which is full of guys looking to be tough and get on Cherry's segment or on Rock em Sock em and Cherry just painted a target on Subban's chest. Everbody knows Cherry's favorite thing in the world saying "I told ya it was gonna happen." This was provocation, sure it's more about his ego and negligence than him realizing exactly what he's doing, but the fact is he's doing it and he should know better. Richards at least has to account for his words, Cherry gets to go "Well I'm so sad about what I said was going to happen but, you know, it's not my fault there are guys who listen to me." He should be ashamed. He's not trying to change that culture, he's reinforcing it at the expense of one the league's most promising rookie. He's a ****ing ******* for doing that.

Cherry's a shell of the guy he was, stoking his own ego first, the Leafs second, promoting some good causes and kids hockey third, sending shout-outs to his buds and fans in the league last.

Like Bob Cole I'm counting the days I can look back to when I respected his work. Him spending half his segment going after Subban is disgraceful. He would NEVER do that to a Toronto kid who played for the Leafs, Bruins or a Flyers.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
JR is bang on.

I used to enjoy Cherry... but now I want him to go.

First last spring with his disrespect of Halak... and now the Subban thing...

Cherry has become pathetic

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Don Cherry goes through life trying to prove he is right about everything. How many coach's corner episodes have old tracks replayed to say "I told you so". Unfortunately he gives short shrift to all the times he was wrong

He keeps talking about knowing hockey and being able to pick talent. Fact of the matter is he started the Mississauga Ice Dogs out in the OHL. Even though they got high 1st round picks many years in a row, they stunk. Year in year out the team was absolutely pathetic, while the Brampton team that came in the league at the same time steadily improved. Cherry's knowledge must not be practical knowledge

Is Cherry a bigot? Don't know about that one. But he does run down "foreign players" (anyone that is not American or Canadian) just because of where they are from. When he owned the Ice Dogs he refused to draft any "foreign players". Let's just say his neck has a bad sun burn.

Cherry was really a sad case after the Toronto versus Habs game. "They should have gotten a tie at least". When Price was doing his first star skate around, Cherry commented that he must be going to do an interview. Then saw he was throwing pucks in the crowd and was basically "so what".

The man is an entertainer, not a serious hockey analyst.
\

Exactly! But now follow this logic to the next step. If Cherry loves saying "I told you so" most of all, then the way he gets to use this clip he just filmed is when Subban gets cheap shotted. That's not entertaining, that's suggesting a kid should be targeted so that he can get a tv segment out of it. Way to care about hockey, Don.

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
J.R. said in brief that he loves the way Subban plays, everything he does has nothing to do with disrespect....he never slashed, hit from behind, or suckerpunched anyone. He went up to Richards man on man and said to him... your the top dog and I'm gonna take you out" Richards just couldn't take it

In short was saying this kid backs up his talk with his skills and is amazing for the game.

always loved Jeremy Roenick because he's never shied from saying what he thinks even if it goes against what others are saying. i guess that can be the same reason some people might not like him

Cherry is also singing the praises of Kadri - a kid of Lebanese descent and a Muslim if I'm not mistaken.

wow Cherry praising a Toronto Maple Leaf player...now thats a stretch

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
\

Exactly! But now follow this logic to the next step. If Cherry loves saying "I told you so" most of all, then the way he gets to use this clip he just filmed is when Subban gets cheap shotted. That's not entertaining, that's suggesting a kid should be targeted so that he can get a tv segment out of it. Way to care about hockey, Don.

Let's just say that if Cherry wants to be right, sometimes he creates an issue to be right about. He's a sad old fart that a certain segment of society takes seriously

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
JR is bang on.

What I said in the original Richards quote thread and got criticized by pointing out this very poignant fact and one that is (as you rightly say) very relevant to the denouement of this whole saga. People might not remember, but a week or so before Cherry bashed Subaan early in the season, he was praising him to high heaven. during the playoffs, since he had nothing good to say about Montreal, all he said was that we had 4 GTA guys (Cammy, PK, Moore and I think Metro). 3 of whom played in the GTHL. When it suited him, PK was awesome, doing the EXACT things he is being accused of by the most bigoted man in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad