J.Roenick on Fan590 talking about Subban and respect

happyhab*

J.R. said in brief that he loves the way Subban plays, everything he does has nothing to do with disrespect....he never slashed, hit from behind, or suckerpunched anyone. He went up to Richards man on man and said to him... your the top dog and I'm gonna take you out" Richards just couldn't take it

In short was saying this kid backs up his talk with his skills and is amazing for the game.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Agree with what JR has said. PK hasn't been a dirty player in his time in the league and Richards just doesn't like the fact that a rookie doesn't back down against him. I get the impression that Richards is quite the ****** off the ice so I'm not surprised when he whines about something like this.

Pleky Roks

Apr 29, 2010
J.R. said in brief that he loves the way Subban plays, everything he does has nothing to do with disrespect....he never slashed, hit from behind, or suckerpunched anyone. He went up to Richards man on man and said to him... your the top dog and I'm gonna take you out" Richards just couldn't take it

In short was saying this kid backs up his talk with his skills and is amazing for the game.

Thats why I always liked Roenick...he always tells it exactly like it is. Subban challenged Richards and Richards couldn't handle it so he decided to try to turn it into a respect thing. If Richards had any guts at all, he would drop the gloves with Subban tonight and let the better man win....otherwise he should just shut up, play hockey and ignore what Subban says and does!!

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Mr

JR is bang on.

What pisses me off more than anything, is that Don Cherry IMHO, is the cause of all this BS. He's a sneaky POS and I believe bigotry and prejudice are the underlying motivators on his part. I believe he feels he has the power and the soapbox (HNIC) to sway some players in the league. And judging from one of his lapdogs, Richards, it may not far from the truth.

The fact the CBC, a station driven by our tax dollars, allows Archie Bunker in a gaudy suit, to preach his crap (no matter how veiled) to the Canadian public, is mind boggling.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I agree with JR.... PK backs up his words with his play. Nothing wrong with that. Richard called out Crosby and others for whining he seems to be doing it alot lately.

PK is good for the game and good for the Habs... :D

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Some trivia about Roenick: He played on a prep school team in Massachusetts. One of his teammates was Tony Amonte. Now that was a team most of the others must have hated going up against! One of those teams had Brian Leetch, but even that wasn't enough.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
CBC should dump Millbury and PJ Stock (if they haven't already) and hire JR. You want colour, this guy's got it in spades.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
I love it, nice to hear stuff like this from people who actually can maybe use the veteran = respect excuse unlike Richards. Bill Guerin said basically the exact same thing on OTR and now Roenick vs Cherry and Richards, haha, pretty obvious who is in the sane camp.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Only person outside out Philly I've heard say anything negative about PK is Cherry.

To a man, every songle person I've heard has said PK is well within his right to do what he did and to continue to do so. They all go on to say that Richards is the last person to make those comments as he was the epitome of cockiness and arrogence when he joined the league and lost the "C" due to his partying before getting it back.

PK is more respected at this point than Richards IMO.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
I heard this this morning as well, JR is bang on. Subban is getting under star players skin, backing it up with game and they can't handle it. When a respected player like JR says this it carries way more weight than Richards or Cherry imo.

Cherry's act is getting old as well and I can't wait till he is off the air. He loved guys like Darcy Tucker who would talk trash and cheapshot every once and while. Don is a hypocrite and a bigot Habhater, doesn't surprise me he would say the things he said about Subban. 6 words for you Don, too many men on the ice.

Pascal

Sep 19, 2005
Montreal
Richards has been around for a handful of seasons and he thinks he's the king on the ice.. What a tool.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Never mind I found the clip. It's on the 8am hour, the second or third question during the ask Jeremy portion. I always liked Jeremy but someone should have told him it's P.K. NOT P.J.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I don't get it. You're supposed to be tough -- not crying when things don't go your way -- when your main value is grit and violence, like the Flyers.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I don't consider Don Cherry to be a racist. He's ignorant if anything. There is no one colour he is against. If anything, it's a combination of colours: bleu, blanc et rouge.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007

Hey how about Doughty? how disrespectful is this :laugh: Where was Mike Richards to call him out for talking back as a rookie, Doughty better watch his back someone is going to get him:sarcasm:

Habblues

Dec 19, 2008
Sec 9 Fredericton NB
To be fair, while it's easy to read racism Cherry's hate, I don't think it's there. There was a good piece in the Globe and Mail that deconstructs Cherry's hate a little bit and shows that he hates just about anyone new who doesn't follow his code.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/trouble-follows-subban/article1807922/

Decent read on his brand of intolerance.

Yeah I agree, it`s got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It took him a long time to say anything good about Crosby. Called him the "Golden boy"and refused to even say his name until he just had to.....I`ve always like Don Cherry in the past,but for the last two years, I`ve noticed he has hardly said a nice word about the play of the Habs. That really p***** me off for awhile,but then it occured to me how Don does such a fantastic job at supporting our Canadian troops. IMO that`s the only team that REALLY matters. Why would Don like the Habs ? Lets face it, the Habs have caused him nothing but grief for many many years. And I hope many more years to come .....GO HABS GO !!!!!

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Yeah I agree, it`s got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It took him a long time to say anything good about Crosby. Called him the "Golden boy"and refused to even say his name until he just had to.....I`ve always like Don Cherry in the past,but for the last two years, I`ve noticed he has hardly said a nice word about the play of the Habs. That really p***** me off for awhile,but then it occured to me how Don does such a fantastic job at supporting our Canadian troops. IMO that`s the only team that REALLY matters. Why would Don like the Habs ? Lets face it, the Habs have caused him nothing but grief for many many years. And I hope many more years to come .....GO HABS GO !!!!!

One thing though is that Cherry is consistent in his hypocricy.

When Crosby, Subban (or any player) plays for Canada, he is amazing and beyond reproach.

When the same player plays in the NHL, he must obey the "code"
(as defined by Cherry).

Although certain players and teams get a free pass for breaking the code.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
The Roenick clip about Subban on Fan 590 is around 30:00
in the 8am clip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad