J.Roenick on Fan590 talking about Subban and respect

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Yeah I agree, it`s got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It took him a long time to say anything good about Crosby. Called him the "Golden boy"and refused to even say his name until he just had to.....I`ve always like Don Cherry in the past,but for the last two years, I`ve noticed he has hardly said a nice word about the play of the Habs. That really p***** me off for awhile,but then it occured to me how Don does such a fantastic job at supporting our Canadian troops. IMO that`s the only team that REALLY matters. Why would Don like the Habs ? Lets face it, the Habs have caused him nothing but grief for many many years. And I hope many more years to come .....GO HABS GO !!!!!

supporting our troops, like he's the only person who does or something? I'm sure he legitimately cares since he is obsessed (way too much IMO) with WWII and other ones that we lost soldiers in. If anything he's unfairly hijacking it to make it some quasi-trademark as if showing that exact emotion will cause people to think he's a great guy (and apparently it works). Been debated many times that it's excessive to do the troops thing on HNIC every freaking time, but personally, I don't care. They should be honoured...but not by him.

Point is, just cuz he makes the ironic choice (again...parallel to FOX and the republicans) of LOVING war yet mourning the unnecessary deaths that result. Another example of his hypocrisy. Trust me, he couldn't live with Canada not being involved in some sort of war-related mission, even peacekeeping. He just wants to go on and on about his "type of guy", which he sees in his favourite pet hockey players...but not Subban. He uses the idea "plays like a Canadian" all the time. Guess what, PK, plays like a Canadian (in the sense he means it).

This is a digression, but I'm trying to point out that you shouldn't be fooled by his false patriotism. It's misplaced, biased, pick and choose and doesn't make him any more of a patriot than the people who try to keep the environment clean or campaign against internal anglo-franco racism. Anyway, game starting.

GO HABS GO!
GO PK!

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
J.R. said in brief that he loves the way Subban plays, everything he does has nothing to do with disrespect....he never slashed, hit from behind, or suckerpunched anyone. He went up to Richards man on man and said to him... your the top dog and I'm gonna take you out" Richards just couldn't take it

In short was saying this kid backs up his talk with his skills and is amazing for the game.

I've always liked JR

Now I like him even more

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Cherry would not be as hard on PK if he was a Leaf or a Bruin....:shakehead anyhow, just drop the puck tonight!!!!

I wonder what flyer fans thought of JR's being candid......:sarcasm:

He only had glowing things to say about Lucic when he was running around as a rookie. Son Cherry = biased old fart.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
He only had glowing things to say about Lucic when he was running around as a rookie. Son Cherry = biased old fart.

I don't mind Don Cherry, I find him to be relatively entertaining, in a kind of what is this clown going to say next kind of way. But he's pretty even when it comes to what his idea of "Canadian hockey" is, he had some pretty harsh words for his bff Lucic when he skated away from Orr during there fight.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I don't mind Don Cherry, I find him to be relatively entertaining, in a kind of what is this clown going to say next kind of way. But he's pretty even when it comes to what his idea of "Canadian hockey" is, he had some pretty harsh words for his bff Lucic when he skated away from Orr during there fight.

here's the clip.

flowerpower13*

J.R. said in brief that he loves the way Subban plays, everything he does has nothing to do with disrespect....he never slashed, hit from behind, or suckerpunched anyone. He went up to Richards man on man and said to him... your the top dog and I'm gonna take you out" Richards just couldn't take it

In short was saying this kid backs up his talk with his skills and is amazing for the game.

Richards telling someone about respect almost got me a heart attack......!!!

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Agree with what JR has said. PK hasn't been a dirty player in his time in the league and Richards just doesn't like the fact that a rookie doesn't back down against him. I get the impression that Richards is quite the ****** off the ice so I'm not surprised when he whines about something like this.

I thought waiting for the refs to come in before he started throwing punches was pretty gay and a little dirty.

Anyway - Subban isn't exactly a little guy - so why should he back down from Richards? Why do fans think he's so great for doing this? Richards thinks he's a ***** because he yaps all night and talks tough but hasn't fought anybody. Richards thinks he should fight somebody to earn respect.

If you ask me Subban should grow a pair and fight Richards - he's much bigger and stronger. Richards has fought guys much bigger and tougher than himself so he can say what he wants about that.

Arctic_Hab_Fan

May 28, 2007
I thought waiting for the refs to come in before he started throwing punches was pretty gay and a little dirty.

Anyway - Subban isn't exactly a little guy - so why should he back down from Richards? Why do fans think he's so great for doing this? Richards thinks he's a ***** because he yaps all night and talks tough but hasn't fought anybody. Richards thinks he should fight somebody to earn respect.

If you ask me Subban should grow a pair and fight Richards - he's much bigger and stronger. Richards has fought guys much bigger and tougher than himself so he can say what he wants about that.

Richards only dropped the gloves when the linesman came in...you blind? Subban only dropped his when Richards did.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
The Only person outside out Philly I've heard say anything negative about PK is Cherry.

To a man, every songle person I've heard has said PK is well within his right to do what he did and to continue to do so. They all go on to say that Richards is the last person to make those comments as he was the epitome of cockiness and arrogence when he joined the league and lost the "C" due to his partying before getting it back.

PK is more respected at this point than Richards IMO.[/QUO

Turboflex*

Cherry has an excellent eye for hockey analsysis and brings the perspective of being a former pro player & coach. I can live with some of his comic schtick, but lately his Toronto homerism is really getting over the top, same with the army stuff (I am a patriotic Canadian but this is not the right platform to be talking army every week).

All this nonsense from Cherry is diminishing his capacity & reputation as a supurb hockey analyst and it's a shame, cuz I really enjoy his segments when he does stuff like point out little things elite pros do that most people don't notice.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
JR wrote the book on being Prime Time in the NHL, of course he loves him.

People can't stand JR because of the Patrick Roy, I can't hear you with the 2 Stanley Cups in my ears thing... but I always found him entertaining.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
I'm going to defend Richards a bit. i love Subban and his personality has contributed with the change in culture in Montreal. Having said that, I think there are times when he could pick his spots better. Richard's is a competitor and hates losing more than anyone. He said those comments after the game when he was still hot under the collar. He addressed those comments and said that sometimes you say things you regret in the heat of the moment. Takes a lot to say that. I think we can take this for what it is....the start of a great rivalry between to competitive, skilled guys.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
supporting our troops, like he's the only person who does or something? I'm sure he legitimately cares since he is obsessed (way too much IMO) with WWII and other ones that we lost soldiers in. If anything he's unfairly hijacking it to make it some quasi-trademark as if showing that exact emotion will cause people to think he's a great guy (and apparently it works). Been debated many times that it's excessive to do the troops thing on HNIC every freaking time, but personally, I don't care. They should be honoured...but not by him.

Point is, just cuz he makes the ironic choice (again...parallel to FOX and the republicans) of LOVING war yet mourning the unnecessary deaths that result. Another example of his hypocrisy. Trust me, he couldn't live with Canada not being involved in some sort of war-related mission, even peacekeeping. He just wants to go on and on about his "type of guy", which he sees in his favourite pet hockey players...but not Subban. He uses the idea "plays like a Canadian" all the time. Guess what, PK, plays like a Canadian (in the sense he means it).

This is a digression, but I'm trying to point out that you shouldn't be fooled by his false patriotism. It's misplaced, biased, pick and choose and doesn't make him any more of a patriot than the people who try to keep the environment clean or campaign against internal anglo-franco racism. Anyway, game starting.

GO HABS GO!
GO PK!

Totally agree with the above.

Cherry shouldn't represent Canada. He's trying be be so Canadian by showing respect to the Canadian troops OR he's just trying to gain points on HNIC.

Canadian for Cherry is ex-Darcy Tucker, Mike Richards, ex-Tie Domi, Pronger...all the dirty, violent players in the NHL.

To me...Canada is well-represented by players like Brad Richards, ex-Sakic, ex-Linden, ex-Yzerman, ex-M. Lemieux...

Anyways, the NHL is not just made up of english or french Canadian players...and that's why it's so entertaining (Russia, USA, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Denmark, Slovenia, half Japanese, etc,etc...).

Don ''Redneck Mafia'' Cherry and his ''codes'' are $%^&*#$%.
It's time for Don Cherry to stop making so much $$$$ from HNIC...time for his old *** to retire. Can't wait for that day...and hopefully it won't be another ignorant clown that replaces him.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
JR is bang on.

What pisses me off more than anything, is that Don Cherry IMHO, is the cause of all this BS.

He's a sneaky POS and I believe bigotry and prejudice are the underlying motivators on his part.

I believe he feels he has the power and the soapbox (HNIC) to sway some players in the league. And judging from one of his lapdogs, Richards, it may not far from the truth.

The fact the CBC, a station driven by our tax dollars, allows Archie Bunker in a gaudy suit, to preach his crap (no matter how veiled) to the Canadian public, is mind boggling.

Great post :handclap: .

Also...I LOL at the Archie Bunker comment...so true!!

Talk about ''codes'' (sounds like the Mafia making threats about being quiet and about respecting the ''codes'').

Don (ignoramus) Cherry never talks about the importance
of playing fair (intense/competitive but fair): fair intense/competitive play, and NO crosschecks to the face, violent crosschecks, hits from behind, elbows to the head,etc...
Don Cherry never comments on this.

Was Don (redneck Mafia) Cherry furious when Mike Richards elbowed Booth to the face/head? Cherry's is as big a joke as Mike Richards. Kick Cherry out of HNIC. It's time.

cheers

just would like if someone would stand up to cherry

Same here.

It would be great if someone, anyone from HNIC just said ''enough is enough'' with this old, ignorant fart Cherry.

Why doesn't Cherry talk about hits from behind or crosschecks to the head/face?

Instead Cherry spends time threatening PK Subban (by using others in the NHL) and praising Mike Richards for playing good 'ol Canadian hockey.

p.s.: I'd have more respect for Mike Richards if he weren't such a sore loser (complaining cry baby) and if he played a cleaner game. and if he stopped making indirect/direct threats to players in the NHL.
**** M.Richards.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I sure, Richards, 'Good To His Mother, Respectful Guy, And All around champ', gave his teammate, Briere, a good talking to about respect for his fellow man and the game after he pitchforked Eller in the nads:sarcasm:

When anybody with that stupid flying P on their ugly orange jersey thinks players from other teams should have respect for the game, it's always good for a good belly laugh. Carcillo, Briere, Pronger, Richards all respect their fellow hockey players so much:sarcasm:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I sure, Richards, 'Good To His Mother, Respectful Guy, And All around champ', gave his teammate, Briere, a good talking to about respect for his fellow man and the game after he pitchforked Eller in the nads:sarcasm:

When anybody with that stupid flying P on their ugly orange jersey thinks players from other teams should have respect for the game, it's always good for a good belly laugh. Carcillo, Briere, Pronger, Richards all respect their fellow hockey players so much:sarcasm:

Very true, very true.

Also...Hartnell can also be quite dirty at times.

M.Richards: known for violent crosschecks, elbows to the head/face...he's a solid player who does not need to be such a *%^&$% ******* on the ice (sore loser/complainer, dirty player).

Pronger: has been known to kick players when they were down among many dirty, violent antics... violently crosschecks the rib/face/head/back/shoulder area, major dirty slasher,etc...

Briere: weasel on ice...

Carcillo: psychotic nutcase, violent criminal on ice...

Colin Campbell suspended Avery for a comment he made about ''sloppy seconds'', but he didn't suspend Matt Cooke or Mike Richards when they deserved very long suspensions for violent/careless.

When will Colin Campbell be fired?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Ugh, the only thing worse than hearing a whine sore losing Flyer is seeing a bunch of inexperienced kids make fools of themselves on hfboards.

Don't insult the patriotism Cherry brings. He's done more for raising troop awareness, moral and just mere recognition than any and all of you COMBINED.

He loves hockey.
He loves skilled, physical hockey.
He is human and has opinions, for instance he isn't fond of Montreal.
He has seen more hockey and done more playing/coaching than any and all of you combined.

He's a Canadian through and through and I'm proud to have him on TV. I disagree with his Subban comments but I recognize the person saying them.

Red Fischer for instance has lost almost all credibility, Cherry not yet.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Don't insult the patriotism Cherry brings. He's done more for raising troop awareness, moral and just mere recognition than any and all of you COMBINED.

I won't create a huge debate on this because it isn't the place for it, but not every veteran appreciates what Cherry does.

He loves hockey.
He has seen more hockey and done more playing/coaching than any and all of you combined.

He's a Canadian through and through and I'm proud to have him on TV.

He's also a xenophobe who never won a Stanley Cup who is getting near senility.

Don Cherry helps keep hockey from becoming the world game it is meant to be.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Ugh, the only thing worse than hearing a whine sore losing Flyer is seeing a bunch of inexperienced kids make fools of themselves on hfboards.

He loves hockey.

He's a Canadian through and through and I'm proud to have him on TV. I disagree with his Subban comments but I recognize the person saying them.

Red Fischer for instance has lost almost all credibility, Cherry not yet.

Cherry is not Canadian.
He's just a loudmouth, arrogant bigot feeding b.s. by using Canadian pride as his puppet. He should preach his bs somewhere else. He thinks he's some kind of Godfather figure or something. Something might happen to Subban? Something might happen to Cherry if he continues making threats on HNIC...like a forced early retirement from CBC.

Cherry's kind of players: Darcy Tucker, Tie Domi, Chris Pronger, Mike Richards, etc,etc...

Cherry doesn't represent Canada OR Canadian hockey,imo.
He's made lots of $$$ trying to sell his version of what Canadian hockey ought to be to Canadians. He's just full of hot air.

Cherry threatens Subban but why didn't he ever threaten (not that he should) Matt Cooke for hitting M.Savard or Mike Richards after he did what he did to Booth? (ex: ''Mike Richards better watch it 'cause everyone will be after him for what he did to Booth, just saying'', etc...). He doesn't have a ''code'' for that kind of violence on ice?

He wants someone to violently injure Subban and you know it.
It's sickening that he can get away with this.
Cherry is no better than that violent bully in the schoolyard who tells everyone ''you better obey my codes/rules, or else...something will happen to you''.

**** Cherry and his threats to Hab players.
If he has nothing good to say about the Habs, then...he should just shut it instead of making threats.

Cherry is so patriotic, so...would Cherry send his own children, grandchildren, relatives to war?
All he's doing is trying to gain points on HNIC for being patriotic. I'd like to send Cherry to Afghanistan so he can represent ''his'' version of what he thinks is Canada..

p.s.: Cherry isn't Canadian...he's a wrestling/WWF sports commentator/pimp... He's just trying to be macho while using the Canadian flag to have something to wave in the air while also making lots of $$$ via HNIC. There's nothing Canadian about Cherry. What's Canadian about him? I see macho $%^&*#$% like Cherry all the time on Crescent street, just a lot younger (these are the guys who get into bar fights all the time because they're brain dead and feel the need to fight anyone to be arrogant, macho #$%^&*#$...pathetic).

There's nothing Canadian about Cherry. Time for this old goat to retire.

Last edited by a moderator:

neofury*

lol @ supporting the troops. No offense but that's possibly the lamest argument to an honest discussion I've ever heard. I wouldn't be surprised if CBC tells him to do that and frankly even if they didn't who honestly gives a ****. Like seriously saying the words "support our troops" in what way actually supports them. Are you giving them covering fire? Come on.... that must be a bad joke or something. On a show about hockey who honestly gives a damn about the war, no disrespect to the troops I sincerely have no issue with them but it's a show about hockey and it's not like paying the troops a compliment does jack **** really.

Mod edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
i heard (RDS hockey 360) that Subban fought Plekanec in practice, twice in the past 3 days... what's up with that?

Pitlick*

Here's a Sens fan's take on Subban...

I have to admit that I was a big fan of his playing for Canada; the personality and enthusiasm.

In a way, Richards and Cherry have a point; rookies don't usually trash talk vets.

Roenick has no problem with Subban as he was the same way. They are unique players with personality; brash and confidant, good talkers. It's similar to Crosby being all yappy as a rookie.

But, even though it isn't right to an oldschooler; the fact that Subban backs up his mouth with his play in a way makes it alright. If Subban wasn't a good player, he would look foolish. So he is putting pressure on himself to perform with his mouth; it seems to be working for him, it feeds his mojo, maybe he needs this? Chad Ochocinco is the extreme of this self-motivational tool. I see no reason for him to change, even if its something not usually done and ticks off opponents, their fans, and oldschoolers. It's sports, nothing wrong with a guy being a bit of a villain; not saying he's a bad guy, just that he gets under the skin of opponents.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
The point is that Cherry is a Canadian icon and if you morons got off your pseudo-pacifist ignorant soapboxes you'd realize that the 20 seconds he spends recognizing people who literally put their lives on the line for the Canadian way is time well spent.

So let me get this straight :

You think Cherry's opinions on world politics are intelligent and thought provoking and any criticism of it is moronic ?

Cherry knows a thing or two about hockey, but global politics ????
The man's politics are stuck in McCarthy era RED TERROR PARANOIA.
They have as much relevance to current world affairs as
Cherry's suits do to current fashion.

I have several friends that served in Afganistan.
I have no problem with Cherry giving them recognition on the air.

But I have a huge problem with an ignorant xenophobic redneck shoving his dim witted out-dated political agenda down our throats during a show about HOCKEY.

Give Cherry a show on FOX NEWS to spew that garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad