Proposal: J.G. Pageau to Colorado

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Once again, HF Boards valuing a top prospect at the same level as proven top NHL talent . . . this isn't NHL '20

Colorado would be doing backflips if Byram gets close to what Chabot has already become.

The price for Pageau is not Byram but is far more than Jost and a 3rd rounder. A 1st and a nice prospect is a closer valuation.

I think that post was just saying that the only way Colorado puts Byram on the table is if we're trading for Chabot or Tkachuk. Not that Byram is worth Chabot or Tkachuk 1-for-1.

A 1st + B/C prospect or B prospect + 2nd + 2nd/3rd, would be a perfectly fair ask.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Kevin Hayes got a 1 and Lemieux. And I have more trust Pageau will perfom in playoffs than Hayes. That is where the bidding starts. If you are of the opinion that he will only be an ok 3rd liner, then you will not trade for him. This year he is more than that. Now should your team in free agency give Pageau a 7 year 50 million deal is another story.
Hayes is better offensively through his career

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kevin Hayes got a 1 and Lemieux. And I have more trust Pageau will perfom in playoffs than Hayes. That is where the bidding starts. If you are of the opinion that he will only be an ok 3rd liner, then you will not trade for him. This year he is more than that. Now should your team in free agency give Pageau a 7 year 50 million deal is another story.

TBF Hayes had played top 6 successfully, prior to the season in which he was traded. Of course Philly gave him a horrendous contract, but that's a different matter entirely. Heading into the trade there was a lot more reason to think of Hayes as a 2C than Pageau, and average 2Cs are typically worth more than 3Cs...even elite ones.

That said, Lemieux and a late 1st...like Duclair+2nd+2nd...is right around that 1st+B/C prospect or 2nd+3rd+B prospect that most of us think would be a fair ask for Pageau.

EDIT:
So something like Jost+2nd+3rd, maybe? I'd have no calms making that Jost & two 2nds, if we had more than one 2nd rounder in these next two drafts...but since we don't I assume that a 3rd this spring would be more appealing to the Sens than a 2nd in 3 years. Maybe add a conditional 2nd/3rd if we re-sign Pageau past this season?

Would give the sens a couple of extra swings in that 2nd/3rd round range that they are so proficient at drafting in, plus a Duclair like change-of-scenery kid. We lose the kid that Pageau would be replacing in our lineup + those picks which we wouldn't have done as much with as the Sens...while keeping our 1st to use on the blueline stop gap that we also need to contend this spring; without whom spending assets on JPG wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Hayes is better offensively through his career
Career yes. This year no. Playoffs for Hayes big no. Pageau will get a 1 and young roster player. If Colorado projects the way many think that pick could be 29-30. Now that hall is off the market that should be a no brainer move. Can you get a 1 for Jost? I don't see it. But I didn't see Ryan Hartman getting a 1 either back in the day.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Price for Pageau looks reasonable.

Assuming he'd be willing to resign with Buffalo, how does a lottery protected 1st and Jake McCabe sound? I know Ottawa is desperate for defense at the moment.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Colorado could benefit from upgrading their third line, especially with the glut of injuries up and down their roster. Would a deal around Tyson Jost for J.G. Pageau be possible?

~OTT~
Pageau

For

~COL~
Jost
Conditional 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Pageau is resigned)

No thank you from the sens. We want a 2020 first plus a prospect.

Colorado can give up Byram if they want Pageau

Come on. Thats not remotely realistic.

Bingo he is atleast worth what Hayes got, better defensively and a more proven playoff player.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Assuming he'd be willing to resign with Buffalo, how does a lottery protected 1st and Jake McCabe sound? I know Ottawa is desperate for defense at the moment.
I think thats about as good a deal as we can expect. McCabe would add a lot of flexibility for us, as he is signed cheap for 1 more year. It could help us avoid overcommitting to one of our impending UFA DMen.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Would do that deal. McCabe would really fill a need.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Bowers + 2021 2nd (becomes first if re-signs)

Nope on Bowers. Glad we gave him up, would want a prospect with higher upside than a 3rd liner.

And it's a 1st or bust now, none of this 2/3rd becomes a ___ if he resigns.

Pageau, when given top 6 ice-time and line-mates, is a top 6 forward while putting up Selke-ish caliber defense. He also is a quite leader (like Alfy was) and will gut it out with the opposite teams best lines in the playoffs.

Dude is warrior and anyone acquiring will be lucky.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Nope on Bowers. Glad we gave him up, would want a prospect with higher upside than a 3rd liner.

And it's a 1st or bust now, none of this 2/3rd becomes a ___ if he resigns.

Pageau, when given top 6 ice-time and line-mates, is a top 6 forward while putting up Selke-ish caliber defense. He also is a quite leader (like Alfy was) and will gut it out with the opposite teams best lines in the playoffs.

Dude is warrior and anyone acquiring will be lucky.
The top 6 part is debatable he’s never been that in his career save for ~20 hot games this season. Bottom 6 rental forward hasn’t landed a first that I can recall since maybe Erat nuff said there. Solid draft too which might see less first rounders swapped.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The top 6 part is debatable he’s never been that in his career save for ~20 hot games this season. Bottom 6 rental forward hasn’t landed a first that I can recall since maybe Erat nuff said there. Solid draft too which might see less first rounders swapped.

Pageau has been bumped up before and played in a top 6 role with Stone and others and never looked out of place.

You don't want to pay up? fine, keep Bowers and your low 2nd..

Gaustad, Hanzal, Hartman all went for 1st's. Erat too. Legwand as well ages ago. Pageau is better than all of them and he's the best C in the trade market so....

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You can say its debatable whether Pageau is top 6 or not. What is not debatable is at least one gm (and of course more) will see him as a top 6 piece and make the move. If you are saying you don't want your team to give up a 1 and young roster player is totally fair. But somebody sure will. You can book it.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Ottawa should just re-sign him. At some point the Sens need to keep some players.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t think a cup contender views him as an optimal top 6 player. Hes a solid option when injuries hit. Otherwise, he’s probably the ideal 3C. Whether someone’s will to pay 1st and b prospect for that, I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
JGP is punching above his weight now wrt offence, but he produces offensively in the playoffs.

Pageau is the perfect defensive centre for a contending team in the playoffs. His shutdown game of elite players, PK, short-handed and clutch goal scoring abilities make him even more valuable in do-or-die playoff games than, say, a typical 2nd line centre with inferior defensive game acumen.

The intangibles are almost elite - he is grown into a leader with his tenacity, hard work, and great hockey sense. I find he sacrifices offence as his priority is to shutdown the other line's top guys.

The ultimate warrior. But, he needs to be traded as Ottawa is not a contender anytime soon. With the way he plays with his size, the wear and tear may become inevitable in his early 30s. So he is more valuable to a playoff bound team with immediate playoff aspirations. And they will pay the premium (a 1st+ or a legit prospect) to strengthen their hopes by roping in an in-form defensive centre - an early season Selke nominee.

Dorion should play this well, should not be rushing into it, but the time to trade him is neigh (perhaps after Christmas).

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I don’t think a cup contender views him as an optimal top 6 player. Hes a solid option when injuries hit. Otherwise, he’s probably the ideal 3C. Whether someone’s will to pay 1st and b prospect for that, I guess we’ll see.

Well if it meant going into the playoffs with Mackinnon, Kadri and Pageau as your top 3 C's, you're in damn good shape and I don't know if anyone else in the West will have that depth down the middle come playoff time.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Potential playoff teams Pageau sure seems 2nd line guy to me. Buffalo, New York Islanders, Arizona (no picks to give up of course), Vancouver, Minnesota, Edmonton. No they are not in the Boston Washington Colorado category but it only take one team to view him as a second liner and do Columbus from last year.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Potential playoff teams Pageau sure seems 2nd line guy to me. Buffalo, New York Islanders, Arizona (no picks to give up of course), Vancouver, Minnesota, Edmonton. No they are not in the Boston Washington Colorado category but it only take one team to view him as a second liner and do Columbus from last year.

Personally I think Pageau would flourish under Trotz in NYI.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I really like Pageau and would trade a 1st + Kaut or equivalent. I would rather a Pageau than a Kreider for example, Pageau on the Avs gives them some of the best centre depth in the league pretty easily.

Mackinnon
Kadri
Pageau
Bellemare

every player is slated in their proper spot and they are all above average for the spot except for maybe Kadri who is a good but not great 2C. Furthermore I would expect Pageau to get about a 4 year 5 million dollar deal which for most contenders would be difficult but with that contract the Avs top 4 centres would only be making a combined 17.6 million which is great value. Good fit for both teams.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I really like Pageau and would trade a 1st + Kaut or equivalent. I would rather a Pageau than a Kreider for example, Pageau on the Avs gives them some of the best centre depth in the league pretty easily.

Mackinnon
Kadri
Pageau
Bellemare

every player is slated in their proper spot and they are all above average for the spot except for maybe Kadri who is a good but not great 2C. Furthermore I would expect Pageau to get about a 4 year 5 million dollar deal which for most contenders would be difficult but with that contract the Avs top 4 centres would only be making a combined 17.6 million which is great value. Good fit for both teams.

Couldn't agree more. Krieder is fine but do I give up a 1? ehhh all teams not named washington, boston, or colorado I don't think about it. Maybe 2 and 3 tops. But if I am Colorado and I am this close to a cup you give up the 1 for the best player on the market (Pageau)and go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad