Proposal: J.G. Pageau to Colorado

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ok a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd then. That’s way less valuable than my proposal so I’m down with that lol.

Probably is, but we just don't need non-expansion-exempt forwards and I'm confident that we can get valuable players in the 2nd + 3rd. That said, I could see Pageau getting a 1st and DeMelo getting two 2nds, so I'd just look for the best offer along those lines. And I'd probably look for replacement-level players like Dries, Connauton, Rosen, etc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he came to Colorado, I think his offense goes dry. He's shooting 23% right now and he would be on the third / fourth line. His defensive capabilities would be a fantastic add but I think his acquiring cost will be too rich for me. Somebody suggested Byram above which most know that's not realistic but in the other thread, folks were asking for a 1st / prospect.

He would be on the third line when we're healthy and could step up on the 2nd if Kadri got hurt in the playoffs. Whereas right now we'd be f***ed if that happened...or if Naz got suspended in the playoffs...

A 1st + B-/C prospect or 2nd + B/B+ prospect would be pretty fair for the caliber of player Pageau is. And depending on what it would cost us to add a top 4 stopgap as well...and a Bura-upgrade too while we're at it...that price would make perfect sense for us to move for Pageau. If something like Jost + 2nd + 2nd (cond.?) could work the way Duclair++ worked for them...leaving us our 1st this season to spend on a Murray/Savard...that would make a lot of sense for us.

Obviously, if Dorion tried to insist on Byram & refused anything less, you politely hang up before laughing hysterically...but that seems unlikely to happen...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After looking more at Colorado's prospects, I could see something around 1st + Helleson

Helleson is tricky to value. On the one hand, he's still far away & (hopefully) won't be irreplaceable for us. On the other, he's a nifty prospect that could prove to be very important for us in the long run; if the next hit that Timmins' takes causes him to forget how to tie his laces.

That's why (at least for us) I think the only prospsects that are clearly above him in importance are Byram, Timmins & Newhook; whereas I dunno if he's as (or more) valuable to other teams than the likes of Jost / Compher / Bura / Bowers / Kovalenko / Kaut / Ranta / Weiss / Zhuravlyov / etc.

So similar to the way that Timmins' injury-concerns make him way more valuable to us than he would be to another team in a trade, I don't think Helleson's internal & external values make him the most logical trade bait...even though (in a vacuum) the value would be fair.

But depending on what we needed to spend on upgrading Bura & (more importantly) getting a top 4 stop gap to help hold the fort until Byram & Timmins are ready, this price could make sense for us to pay.
Probably is, but we just don't need non-expansion-exempt forwards and I'm confident that we can get valuable players in the 2nd + 3rd. That said, I could see Pageau getting a 1st and DeMelo getting two 2nds, so I'd just look for the best offer along those lines. And I'd probably look for replacement-level players like Dries, Connauton, Rosen, etc.

If only our scouts & dev team were good enough for us to feel the same way...*sigh*

Last edited:

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I do hope we aquire a Murray/Savard type D for our run.

What would our pairs look like then?

I'm honestly more worried of Kadri not exceeding 2C levels than Bura reaching 2W.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Has always liked Pageau and his game! If up to me i do a deal around Puljujärvi for Pageau! ottawa also take Gagner(outgoing contract) for cap reasons!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I do hope we aquire a Murray/Savard type D for our run.

What would our pairs look like then?

I'm honestly more worried of Kadri not exceeding 2C levels than Bura reaching 2W.

On paper it should be something like:

Murray - Makar
*Zadorov - Girard
Graves/Cole - *EJ
------------------
*Graves - Makar
Girard - Savard
*Zads/Cole - EJ

But that's just a loose description, given the way that Bednar mixes n matches his blueline pairings during games.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
@Clamshells What? Pageau a great 3th liner and you compare him to McDavid! Pulju is a good prospect ! and Gagner doesnt hurt for 40 games!

Expect you will be very disapointed with the return after Pageau is delt!

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
If Pageau is traded for Puljujarvi, then you are correct, I would be very disappointed.

So , what do you expect at trade deadline? A late first 2020? That or a decent prospect is written in stone from a contending team who want to add to their bottom 6 and pk !

Pulju arent done as a 21 years old no 4! ppg player in Finland, done in OIlers ,but he will get his head together sooner then later!

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Ottawa would be wise to extend him unless he flat out wants out.

Hoarding picks and prospects is nice in theory but without Pageau their young centers will get caved in so bad in the coming years they'll end up like Gagner. He does so much to prop up that team defensively and hold off good competition that would smear them across the boards otherwise. Extend him and hope he takes another step and establishes himself as an O'Reilly/Bergeron lite that can be used to manage big chunks of the game.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Ottawa would be wise to extend him unless he flat out wants out.

Hoarding picks and prospects is nice in theory but without Pageau their young centers will get caved in so bad in the coming years they'll end up like Gagner. He does so much to prop up that team defensively and hold off good competition that would smear them across the boards otherwise. Extend him and hope he takes another step and establishes himself as an O'Reilly/Bergeron lite that can be used to manage big chunks of the game.
From what I’ve read, seen and heard this sums up the feelings of the majority of Ottawa fans.

Trade proposals for Pageau always come with the “only if he wants out” caveat. That being the case, a decent pick and a scenery-change type player like Jost would be good return.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ottawa has done alright moving assets, even assets that have to move.

Karlsson, Duchene, Brassard, Stone, Dzingel...that's 9 potential 1st and second round picks, some decent prospects, and Brannstrom. Yes some of the conditions weren't met (and some never were meant to), but that's not a bad list of trades, even if you include selling cap space and dumping Hoffman for peanuts.

I think the longer Pageau plays in Ottawa, the more likely he will get a package similar to the guys I listed. Partially due to his upswing in production, partly because of the more limited availability of other forwards.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
@Clamshells What? Pageau a great 3th liner and you compare him to McDavid! Pulju is a good prospect ! and Gagner doesnt hurt for 40 games!

Expect you will be very disapointed with the return after Pageau is delt!
There is a good chance he stays in Ottawa. He's a crowd fav, local boy and elite 3rd line center.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Colorado could benefit from upgrading their third line, especially with the glut of injuries up and down their roster. Would a deal around Tyson Jost for J.G. Pageau be possible?

~OTT~
Pageau

For

~COL~
Jost
Conditional 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if Pageau is resigned)

If Ott is trading they can get a 1 for him plus I would think. Jost might develop but I think I rather pick from the tree myself.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lets not get too hasty here, anything short of Chabot or Tkachuk doesn't get Colorado on the phone for Byram.

Once again, HF Boards valuing a top prospect at the same level as proven top NHL talent . . . this isn't NHL '20

Colorado would be doing backflips if Byram gets close to what Chabot has already become.

The price for Pageau is not Byram but is far more than Jost and a 3rd rounder. A 1st and a nice prospect is a closer valuation.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Has always liked Pageau and his game! If up to me i do a deal around Puljujärvi for Pageau! ottawa also take Gagner(outgoing contract) for cap reasons!
'
Just when you forget that not all Canadians know hockey you get this to confirm the original premise . . .

Reactions: CobraAcesS

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think some fans here will be disappointed with the pageau return. As an expiring UFA contract who has been a 3rd liner his whole career the dude will get MAX a 1st rounder and maybe a B level prospect if that.

Some fans seem to think that just cause Pageau has had half a good season that GM's will be fooled. The only way is if we get aa GM like what CBJ did last year and they went all in but even then we didn't get a 1st for Dzginle

Reactions: McClelland

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I think some fans here will be disappointed with the pageau return. As an expiring UFA contract who has been a 3rd liner his whole career the dude will get MAX a 1st rounder and maybe a B level prospect if that.

Some fans seem to think that just cause Pageau has had half a good season that GM's will be fooled. The only way is if we get aa GM like what CBJ did last year and they went all in but even then we didn't get a 1st for Dzginle

Kevin Hayes got a 1 and Lemieux. And I have more trust Pageau will perfom in playoffs than Hayes. That is where the bidding starts. If you are of the opinion that he will only be an ok 3rd liner, then you will not trade for him. This year he is more than that. Now should your team in free agency give Pageau a 7 year 50 million deal is another story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad