ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GudVibransons

Mar 1, 2002
Orlando
Visit site
I'm not sure I'd put Patrik Stefan at the top of the list. I know he hasn't been the model #1 pick, but he wasn't projected to be. He didn't have nearly the hype of other #1 overall picks like Kovalchuk or Crosby. I don't remember hearing tons of "he'll be a top line franchise player" posts. I think he was thought to be a good player coming out of a relatively weak draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I was talking to one of his friends 2 months ago and she (yes :) ) told me he doesn't like hockey and don't enjoy playing it. His parents are quite rich so he doesn't have to play for his future. She was talking something about him opening a restaurant or hotel in Prague.

Wow, thanks for the update on that. I always like hearing about players who dropped out of the NHL and really hockey in general. Interesting. At least he has enough money to live on.

He had brutal wheels .

That too.

Hagman-O-War said:
I'm not sure I'd put Patrik Stefan at the top of the list. I know he hasn't been the model #1 pick, but he wasn't projected to be. He didn't have nearly the hype of other #1 overall picks like Kovalchuk or Crosby. I don't remember hearing tons of "he'll be a top line franchise player" posts. I think he was thought to be a good player coming out of a relatively weak draft.

The 1999 draft is obviously weak in retrospect, but it was thought to be quite strong at the time. Both the Sedins and Brendl had a lot of hype around them, and Stefan did get picked over them. I do agree that compared to most 1st picks he flew under the radar because he played in the IHL, but there was still a definite expectation from most fans of at least a top-line player.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
No, I'm pretty sure "Cola Wars" refers to a rather intense debate about prospect Adam Colagiacomo back in the early years of HF. He's actually a rather interesting case. He was a big strong kid who put up impressive stats as a 16 year old one of the worst OHL teams of all-time but then stagnated in his draft year and slipped all the way to the 4th round. A good example of both wasted potential and a player who peaked early.

Oh really? My apologies then.

I only started coming on the boards around the Carlo Colaiacovo draft year, so that's the only "Cola Wars" I'd know of :) .

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Not necessarily on these boards... cause it's been too long a time, but the hype was there:

Brad Isbister
Josef Beranek
Robert Dome
Pat Falloon
Rene Corbet
Sergei Krivokrasov
Alexandre Daigle :sarcasm:
Jason Bonsignore
Jamie Storr
Aki Berg :sarcasm:
Chad Kilger
Teemu Riihijarvi (size alone can lead you there...)
Andrei Zyuzin (injuries...)
Boyd Devereaux (concussions...)
Daniel Tkaczuk
Daniel Cleary (the hype was unbelievable)
Rico Fata :sarcasm:
Eric Chouinard (habs fans)
Milan Kraft
Pavel Brendl :bow: :sarcasm:
David Tanabe (was supposed to be the next Paul Coffey if I remember well)
Alexei Smirnov
Ron Hainsey
Vaclav Nedorost
Marcel Hossa
Alexander Svitov
Stanislav Chistov
Mike Komisarek (will become a good player, but damn Habs fans (again) hyped him like if he was the next Scott Stevens mixed with the next Chris Pronger..... :shakehead )

2002 and on, I think it's too fast to judge...

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
This thread is incomplete without Igor Grigorenko.
in his defence , grigorenko was involved in a horrible car accident and sustained life threatening injuries so i don't think that he deserves mention in this thread . he is still a prospect for the wings i think , and still might make it to the NHL .

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Oh really? My apologies then.

I only started coming on the boards around the Carlo Colaiacovo draft year, so that's the only "Cola Wars" I'd know of :) .

The infamous Cola Wars didn't actually happen here, but on the old HF Prospects board ages ago. It was really a case of one poster hyping the living **** out of a prospect and everyone else having a good laugh at the guy's expense. If I remember correctly, the poster in question (who's name escapes me - names were interchangeable back then, anyway) said that Colagiacomo would be "the greatest playmaking winger in NHL history", or something to that effect.

For a bit of background, Colagiacomo was drafted in the 4th round by San Jose in 1997 after a trade-up with the Rangers. Sadly, it was not one of Tim Burke's finer trade-ups. Mike York was subsequently drafted by New York with one of the peddled picks and Colagiacomo's greatest contribution to the world of hockey is probably the Cola Wars, themselves. Those were the days.

Since Colagiacomo's got me thinking about the Rangers' '97 draft, I'll throw in another couple of busted Rags prospects from that year who at one point received no small amount of hype: Burke Henry and Mike Mottau.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That entire draft was overhyped. It was supposed to be the strongest draft in years, with Lundmark, Connolly, Saprykn, Shvidki all projected top six forwards. It produced one bust after another.

I must've missed when Connolly busted, Darth. He certainly didn't. He's extremely talented but has major injury problems.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I must've missed when Connolly busted, Darth. He certainly didn't. He's extremely talented but has major injury problems.

Like Darth said most the players were a bust one way or another from that draft, in Connolly's case he just busted alot of body parts

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Gilbert Brule .

I would give it a least 2-3 more years before we say that. All we can gather from this season is he probably would have been better off with 1 more year of junior or at least they should have allowed him to play at the WJCs.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
Another former Penguin prospect for this list:

Michal Sivek.

Remember when he came over in the Jagr trade? He was supposed to be one of the most dynamic, offensive guys around not in the NHL. Heard a lot of great rumblings about how he could be a poor man's Jagr (had good size, skating, pretty strong on the puck) if he could put it all together.

Hmm I don't know where you got that thing about Sivek being a good skater. Actually, he's not a good skater. Rather slow withouth good balance. Really a thing that hindered him, along with his lazyness and moody attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad