ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Uhhhh Belle is doing quiet fine in the AHL right now. Was one of the last cuts at training camp. He has a good future ahead of him. Wasn't picked high, bounced around and wasn't slated as much. Went from two teams whose prospects arent talked much about to another team whose prospects aren't talked much about.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Thomas Pock and Peter Sejna..

The hype was huge around those two guys and had every team forum feverishly looking to sign the next Sejna or the next Pock..

GudVibransons

Mar 1, 2002
Orlando
Visit site
No love for Denis Shvidki? I remember hearing how the Panthers got a steal in him at #12 and he put up some solid numbers in the OHL. He actually looked decent near the end of one of Florida's seasons on a line with Novoseltsev until Denis got hurt. He never regained that momentum.

Speaking of Novoseltsev. I remember some hype from the magazines about how he should be on a line with Pavel bure because teams wouldn't know who to key in on. That didn't work out so well. Good speed, but I never saw any hockey sense or frankly other skills that made me think he would be a top scorer.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone mentioned Brad Isbister yet? I was discussing the 'future PF' tag and thought of him. He had that huge hype as the next Bertuzzi for a few years.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Stanislav Chistov
Nikita Alexeev
Bryan Allen
Andrew Ladd
Alexei Morozov

As a Habs fan, I would say Perezhogin and Kostitsyn were overhyped.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Says the Habs fan....Ive been here fr awhile (and my memory is pretty clear, but t be on the safe side, HF has this neat-o little search feature), I remember the hype HERE (not just frm RLR and Bb McKenzie).
AK has been talked up probably as much as anybody here by certain Hab fans. Do a search. And yes, he still may turn into a very good player but, IMO, he will be nowhere near the player that certain fans said he would be the 2 years following his draft.
I dont need to know how "solid" he has looked in his call ups or how he has imprved. The point was/is that he was MASSIVLEY overhyped on these boards. Everybody who was around here can attest to that. Try not to get so defensive and look at it objectively instead of calling someone else biased.
Why on earth would I care one way or another about AK, while as a Hab fan, you would be the one who has more of a reason to be biased?

Kostitsyn was overhyped for sure, that can be said for most Hab 1st round picks cause their fan base is very rabid and plentyful in terms of HF, so anyone that reads the prospect board will hear about most Hab prospects that are either drafted high or are doing well.

I think some got carried away with the buzz he created at the wjc's in Halifax that year and then again at the U-18's in April where he racked up some 16 pts or so that tournament against the big boys. Red Line's glowing report of him also helped fuel the fire.

I've watched him a lot over the years and still can't get a good feel for him. He's very skilled but can disappear, what a shot he's got but needs to get it on net more. He could be a bust or he could be a regular next year. He's still only 21, so he's got time one way or another. But I agree he was overhyped, just like Komisarek and Perezhogin were before him. I had to laugh myself when some would say Komisarek was the next Scott Stevens.

For these boards I remember Svitov and Chistov getting a lot of hype. Lundmark seemed to get a good bit. Woywitka, Morrisonn, Knyazev, Shishkanov, Yakubov, Smirnov, Hainsey (early on), Jared Aulin, Yanick Lehoux, Kris Beech, Alexei Semenov, Manny Malhotra, Michael Henrich, Milan Kraft, come to mind as guys that when drafted were hype around here.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Brule...(only for now;)).
The hype was huuuuuuuuuuge before the season began.
Everyone hyped him up this year to have a season that Kopitar is now having...
It's still too early to know who will have a better career (Brule or Kopitar?)...
Just look at Datsyuk...he looked so good until he pulled NO-SHOWS in playoffs...

Brule will/should be that solid 1st liner (at worst...a very good 2nd line center).
Gotta wait till (at least) next year, or the year after for him to blossom...
After all, he's only 19...

Last edited:

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
As a hab fan, I remember Patrick Poulin (the next Brett Hull!), Juha Lind (shades of Koivu!) and Sebastien Bordeleau.

An interesting note, you can still find glorious praise for Bordeleau in the HF archive:

Bordeleau can do it all. He's got the offensive skills to dazzle the odd
time, and he's good defensively for a rookie, too. He's also good on
faceoffs, and can take important draws in his own zone. Again, he played
too many games last year to be considered a rookie and a Calder candidate.

and:

He was
pretty good last year for a rookie, but this year he has really come into
his own. He really looks like he belongs in the NHL. He could be the 2nd
line center if the Habs didn't have so many of them. If and when Damphousse
leaves, Bordeleau would fit in nicely on that 2nd line playing with Benoit
Brunet, his current linemate. If Bordeleau gets sent down to the "A", there
will be outrage here in Montreal because the fans just love him!

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I KNOW Brule was a high draft pick, but man... Everyone remember the hype he got? I remember monster_bertuzzi saying he would be taken over Crosby in the draft!!!!

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I don't know if he's been mentioned already, but Seamus Kotalyk got his fair share of hype after the Mem Cup run. I believe he's buried deep in somebody's minor league system with barely a sniff of the bigs.

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
From 15-20 years back (already!)...

Patrik Carnback
Vladimir Vujtek

And I remember a story when Saku Koivu came to Montreal from Finland, he arrived with his fellow contryman Marko Kiprusoff (Miikka Big brother I believe)... He was supposed to stabilise the Canadians blue line... :sarcasm:

turnbuckle*

No love for Denis Shvidki? I remember hearing how the Panthers got a steal in him at #12 and he put up some solid numbers in the OHL. He actually looked decent near the end of one of Florida's seasons on a line with Novoseltsev until Denis got hurt. He never regained that momentum.

Speaking of Novoseltsev. I remember some hype from the magazines about how he should be on a line with Pavel bure because teams wouldn't know who to key in on. That didn't work out so well. Good speed, but I never saw any hockey sense or frankly other skills that made me think he would be a top scorer.

Good call. I remember that draft well, and know the fellow that drafted Shvidki - figured he was getting a steal.

Novoseltsev looked great the year after he was drafted in the OHL, but he just didn't have the smarts and scoring skills at the next level - wasn't too keen on backchecking either.

In response to Montreal - I still disagree that Kostitsyn was overhyped - there's been a lot more negative crap spewed about him than positive over the past few years; not even close - just because you were never crazy about him doesn't mean he was overhyped, and I still say it's too early to say he won't be a solid NHLer, which would make the whole point moot. IMO he's been overdefended, not overhyped.

It's silly to be judging 2003 draftees already (not saying you're doing that), particularly ones that haven't gotten a proper shot in the NHL. Every time he's played in the NHL the past two seasons he didn't look out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad