ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Best Thing*

I'll get flamed for this for certain, but the sheer amount of hype that SOME Habs fans have given Andrei Kostitsyn has been really just a little (alot) much. I realize he still has time and is young, but he was getting Malkin type hype, and you would think that the way he was talked about, it wouldnt have taken him this long to even stick in the NHL, let alone make his mark as the steal of the 03 draft. He still could be something, but I think it is safe to say that he was MUCH more hype than substance thus far. In terms of hype, he has to be in the top 5 all time on HF.

Well I won't flame you but the hype was kind of justified in a way. He was the first "good" prospect we drafted in a looooong time. Yes, it was hope of a new beginning in those Bashkirov times.

Amen.

:phew:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
How about Jaroslav Svetkovski?
I think he had concussion problems that forced him to call it a career prematurely - if that's the case, I wouldn't put him on this list.

Which brings to mind another guy who, while I wasn't around when the talk would have happened, I have to imagine was hyped like crazy after his 1997-98 season in juniors and was talked up through the 2000-01 season until Scott Stevens leveled him in the playoffs and probably changed his career path for good ... Shane Willis.

littleguybigstik

Feb 12, 2006
find it hard to read jeff carter made this board with barely 100 nhl games under his belt. he only gets 16-20mins toi a night and won a calder cup with phillys farm team. yeah he sucks :biglaugh:

serious;
t ruutu
kalinin
yashin, he has only one ppg season for what he was traded for overhyped

daigle has to take the cake though....poor sens got duped twice

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
find it hard to read jeff carter made this board with barely 100 nhl games under his belt. he only gets 16-20mins toi a night and won a calder cup with phillys farm team. yeah he sucks :biglaugh:

serious;
t ruutu
kalinin

:biglaugh:
There should be a disclaimer saying anyone nominated for Heart is automatically void of this thread.
You've gotta be kidding me
I'll still admit that back in the 90s he was my favorite player as a Sens fan. Things surely are different now but he was quite the player and was no where near "overhyped on these boards".
Thanks for the laugh though, Ruttu got a chuckle out of me too

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Any Euro the ducks have picked.

Niklas Sundblad (2 GP for a #19)
Daniel Tkaczuk (#6 overall)

Craig Button as a GM (worst GM ever, he is also has no hockey-sense)

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I don't know if they were hyped as much, but if you want to see bad first round drafting just look at the Canucks during the Quinn and Burke eras. Each had their successes (Quinn brought us Linden, Bure and Ohlund, Burke the Sedins), but they were also responsible forthe likes of Jim Sandlack, Dan Woodley, Jason Herter, Alex Stojanov, Libor Polasek, Josh Holden, Brad Ference and Nathan Smith.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know if they were hyped as much, but if you want to see bad first round drafting just look at the Canucks during the Quinn and Burke eras. Each had their successes (Quinn brought us Linden, Bure and Ohlund, Burke the Sedins), but they were also responsible forthe likes of Jim Sandlack, Dan Woodley, Jason Herter, Alex Stojanov, Libor Polasek, Josh Holden, Brad Ference and Nathan Smith.

That's indeed pretty brutal... At least Sandlak became an NHL'er.

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
Although a 1st rounder, might as well mention the wunderkid Robbie Schremp who was hyped (including HF) to be a darkhorse candidate for ROY prior to this season. He is not so hot after last season in juniors.

Boilers*

Although a 1st rounder, might as well mention the wunderkid Robbie Schremp who was hyped (including HF) to be a darkhorse candidate for ROY prior to this season. He is not so hot after last season in juniors.

Doesn't fit the theme of the thread.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

When Yashin was traded, he'd just put up 2 straight PPG seasons (1.15, 1.07) and finished 6th and 11th in scoring. He's also had PPG averages of 0.96, 0.95, 0.95, 0.94 (missing the PPG mark by 2 or 3 points each time).

I checked your post history because I was curious what team you were a fan of and quickly found a weepy, excuse laden post about how Legwand was rushed to the NHL, wasn't given any time to mature, had great expectations placed on him for a kid by an expansion franchise, how other players bloom later, etc.
....it was an interesting contrast, anyway.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not necessarily on these boards... cause it's been too long a time, but the hype was there:

Brad Isbister
Josef Beranek
Robert Dome
Pat Falloon
Rene Corbet
Sergei Krivokrasov
Alexandre Daigle :sarcasm:
Jason Bonsignore
Jamie Storr
Aki Berg :sarcasm:
Chad Kilger
Teemu Riihijarvi (size alone can lead you there...)
Andrei Zyuzin (injuries...)
Boyd Devereaux (concussions...)
Daniel Tkaczuk
Daniel Cleary (the hype was unbelievable)
Rico Fata :sarcasm:
Eric Chouinard (habs fans)
Milan Kraft
Pavel Brendl :bow: :sarcasm:
David Tanabe (was supposed to be the next Paul Coffey if I remember well)
Alexei Smirnov
Ron Hainsey
Vaclav Nedorost
Marcel Hossa
Alexander Svitov
Stanislav Chistov
Mike Komisarek (will become a good player, but damn Habs fans (again) hyped him like if he was the next Scott Stevens mixed with the next Chris Pronger..... :shakehead )

2002 and on, I think it's too fast to judge...

i disagree about those 2,
Chouinard was hated by most habs fans since the beginning.
Actually habs fans (on this board) were shocked when we received a 2nd round pick for him !!

As for Komisarek, while i've seen some stevens comparison is wasn't as frequent as you might think.
Most habs fans beleived he was a more offensive Derian Hatcher.
I've never see anybody claimed he was the next pronger...

As for the stevens comparison it started from Eric Fichaud, hamilton goalie back in 2002-2003 which said he was like the scott stevens of the AHL (back in the days)..
While I agree that habs fans tend to overrate their players..
I would say that the fact that there are way more habs fans then any other fanbase on this board.
And drug, no seriously, habs fans also get enthousiastic easily!

Actually the current hype of our prospect is bigger than ever !!!

I mean, from what i've read, Price is a surefire all-star.
Maxwell is the steal of the draft.
Halak is the best goalie prospect not in the NHL...
Grabovski should be playing as our 2nd line center , and it continue...

but !!!
Latendresse hype is fair ! I swear and im dead serious on that one !

Stretch

Jun 2, 2006
For these boards I remember Svitov and Chistov getting a lot of hype. Lundmark seemed to get a good bit. Woywitka, Morrisonn, Knyazev, Shishkanov, Yakubov, Smirnov, Hainsey (early on), Jared Aulin, Yanick Lehoux, Kris Beech, Alexei Semenov, Manny Malhotra, Michael Henrich, Milan Kraft, come to mind as guys that when drafted were hype around here.

Shaone Morrisonn? He's a top pairing dman for Washington. You may not hear a lot about him but he's doing just fine.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Roman Wick.

He put up a great season in WHL and then he just disappeared. I wasn't around then, but I'm sure I would have been pimping him like crazy as a Senator's fan.

Bochenski

I thought he would be a perfect trigger-man for Spezza after the AHL season and the Preseason they had.....then he proceeded to do sweet **** all and get his ass traded. I even believed the hype so much I drafted him in fantasy.

Kaigorodov

Not nearly the same hype as BoBo from the year before, but everyone I remember (myself included) had that "cautious optimism" which was hopelessly squandered

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Roman Wick.

He put up a great season in WHL and then he just disappeared. I wasn't around then, but I'm sure I would have been pimping him like crazy as a Senator's fan.

Man, that kid tore up the Dub in 04-05, though he's playing in the Swiss A league right now.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Man, that kid tore up the Dub in 04-05, though he's playing in the Swiss A league right now.

I remember reading an article that said he didn't really want to leave Switzerland and teams drafting him would be taking a gamble as to whether or not he would ever cross the ocean.

Randall Graves*

serious;
t ruutu
kalinin

Jeff Carter has been one of the most hyped up players on this board for the last 3 years.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jaroslav Svoboda was another that was hyped up after an average playoff showing where he didn't look out of place. People had him listed as a dark horse calder favorite based on a few playoff games and about 12 regular season games when he had been a consistant underachiever during his career to that point.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I think if you were actually around for the "Cola Wars" (and from the looks it, only 4 or 5 posters in this thread, were) there would be no question as to which player was the most "hyped" on these boards. Of course back then, we had a text only format with only two boards.

The "Cola Wars" was one of the few threads that required you to scroll for about 16 seconds horizontally to get to the last reply.

The fervour, passion and stupidity in those discussions was beyond anything I've ever seen on HF.

And it had nothing to do with Carlo Coliaiacovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino