ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
If you quit Ruutu and Umberger is a good list

It's just my opinion. Tuomo Ruutu had a lot of hype surrounding him, and his agent proclaimed him as the "best player not in the NHL," before him came in. He hasn't lived up to those expectations yet.

I think most hockey experts back in 02/03 were predicting that R.J. Umberger would be producing more then 18 points in 51 games in 06/07. Yeah, he's been injured a couple of times, and plays on a bad team but he's simply not lived up to expectations.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
In terms of both huge hype and subsequent big disappointment Rico Fata is a top contender. The Calgary Flames couldn't seem to get rid of him fast enough. Maybe they acknowledged their mistake early rather than live in denial. Robert Dome was a mystery. Dome was playing professional hockey in the IHL at the age of 16. Most Canadian kids his age were struggling to crack a junior team or playing Midget. Jason Botterill in his time got a fair bit of ink as a prospect. Botterill never did stick in the show. Most likely it was all the injuries and a lack of NHL footspeed and skating skills that sealed the deal.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Loui, said to be a future #1 or #2 centerman, he still hasn't done it yet.

By who? He's a winger. I don't think he's played center 1 game since coming to North America, and certainly hasn't played center with the Stars.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Not all my picks were complete busts, however they didn't meet the hype either.

Stephen Weiss (although a first round pick, and still young, he was hyped as the next Yzerman, leadership and all)
Fedor Fedorov (as talented as Sergei!)
Steve Kariya (as talented as Paul!)
Mikko Koivu (as talented as Saku!)
Paul Ballentyne (was hyped as a top defensemen for Detroit)
Brian Sutherby (after 2004 Youngstars game, he would become a top player for Washington)
Phillipe Sauve (hyped that he would replace Roy as Avs goalie)
Scott Clemmenson, J-F Damphousse, Ari Ahonen(they were given the same mantle, to replace Martin Brodeur)
Sasha Goc
Scott Barney
Robert Dome
Jesse Wallin
Jonathan Aiken

Mikko will be better than Saku, because Saku is one of the most overrated players in the NHL. At 23, Mikko is already putting up similar numbers. Not a bust at all IMO. Stephen Weiss isn't close to a bust, which would be totally apparent to anyone who has seen him. He is also 23 and has taken his game to a new level. At the same time, I think we can expect much more from him.

On another note, does anyone else think that it's ironic/funny that one of the most underrated and one of the most overrated are brothers?

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Jamie Lundmark did get some attention and a modest amount of hype mostly due to being a first rounder. This year he has managed to produce a meagre 4 assists and no goals as a 26 year old player. Most likely his days as an NHL'er are numbered.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Jamie Lundmark did get some attention and a modest amount of hype mostly due to being a first rounder. This year he has managed to produce a meagre 4 assists and no goals as a 26 year old player. Most likely his days as an NHL'er are numbered.

I'm pretty sure he scored two goals in two games since joining the Kings. Not saying he hasn't lived up to the hype but he may be a really late bloomer (AKA: Daniel Cleary).

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Vector, I really hope you are correct. I really liked Lundmark as a Junior in St Albert and Moose Jaw. He skated hard every night and loved the corners. Pro is pretty unforgiving and he is considered at this point a mid career professional rather than a prosect. With this kind of modest point production it and today's hockey salaries, he could easily be waived by all 30 teams almost unnoticed.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Mikko will be better than Saku, because Saku is one of the most overrated players in the NHL. At 23, Mikko is already putting up similar numbers. Not a bust at all IMO.

At the age of 23 Saku put up 56 points in 50 games. Injuries ruined his career. Mikko isn't overhyped, but he's not as good as his brother, though he may have a better career if he stays healthy.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
I'm a Canadiens fan from waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back but I still offer the following to you:

1980 - Doug Wickenheiser
1982 - Alain Héroux
1983 - Alfie Turcotte
1984 - José Charbonneau
1985 - Mark Pederson
1988 - Éric Charron
1989 - Lindsay Vallis
1991 - Brent Bilodeau
1992 - David Wilkie
1994 - Brad Brown
1995 - Terry Ryan
1996 - Matt Higgins
1997 - Jason Ward
1998 - Éric Chouinard (pretty well the best of this bunch except maybe for Turcotte)
2000 - Ron Hainsey

I've sometimes wondered, in my moments of frustration and wild fantasy, if these were all picks that were pay-backs to the Devil for the thefts that Sam Pollock pulled off during his reign.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Igor Radulov. Playe well at the end of a season for the Blackhawks, and a bunch of folks went *******, calling him a perrenial 30-40 goal scorer. Amazing hands, ECHL caliber everything else.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Dragan Umicevic
Jeff Woywitka
Jani Rita
The youtube superstar Alexi Mikinov
Rob Schremp

People clamoured over Dragan because he got off to a hot start, Jokinen said something nice about it, and he threw Martin Short around whenever he said "shoot me!". Alexi Mikinov was pretty much faded away (rightfully so) then a video appears of him scoring a nice goal and all of a sudden he is Dr. Wonderful.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Dragan Umicevic
Jeff Woywitka
Jani Rita
The youtube superstar Alexi Mikinov
Rob Schremp

People clamoured over Dragan because he got off to a hot start, Jokinen said something nice about it, and he threw Martin Short around whenever he said "shoot me!". Alexi Mikinov was pretty much faded away (rightfully so) then a video appears of him scoring a nice goal and all of a sudden he is Dr. Wonderful.
Well, Schremp has still time to do something as he is only 20/21 years old.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
While I'm not going to contribute any names, and I'm enjoying reading how other people assess certain players, I don't think you can evaluate any defenseman who was drafted less than 5 years ago. It's clear that defensemen take far longer than forwards to develop, and specifically regarding Komisarek (because that's the only example I know), he's still improving at a very good rate and impressing consistently.
He's hardly undeserved of some hype as he's deservedly on Montreal's top defensive unit.
Forwards are a little easier to assess because generally if they don't make it to an NHL roster while on their entry-level deal (or perhaps the year following), they generally aren't met with a whole lot of success at the NHL level. Kostitsyn will be good, but he won't be a superstar by any means.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
I'm a Canadiens fan from waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back but I still offer the following to you:

1980 - Doug Wickenheiser
1982 - Alain Héroux
1983 - Alfie Turcotte
1984 - José Charbonneau
1985 - Mark Pederson
1988 - Éric Charron
1989 - Lindsay Vallis
1991 - Brent Bilodeau
1992 - David Wilkie
1994 - Brad Brown
1995 - Terry Ryan
1996 - Matt Higgins
1997 - Jason Ward
1998 - Éric Chouinard (pretty well the best of this bunch except maybe for Turcotte)
2000 - Ron Hainsey

I've sometimes wondered, in my moments of frustration and wild fantasy, if these were all picks that were pay-backs to the Devil for the thefts that Sam Pollock pulled off during his reign.

Yeah those 1st round picks in the '90s were beyond putrid. I'd disagree with Hainsey, it appears he found a home in C-Bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->