ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Try and stay away from 1st round picks and the like. Mostly stick to guys who kind of came out of nowhere with hype (hell, even 1st rounders for no real reason OTHER than hype like Jessiman, I guess, could be talked about here).

Matt Foy.

Remember the HUGE hype he received after the monster season with the 67's and Corey Locke (another one who deserves some mention in this thread)? What's he done so far? Pretty much nothing. Looks more and more like a career minor leaguer to me each time I've seen him play.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Another former Penguin prospect for this list:

Michal Sivek.

Remember when he came over in the Jagr trade? He was supposed to be one of the most dynamic, offensive guys around not in the NHL. Heard a lot of great rumblings about how he could be a poor man's Jagr (had good size, skating, pretty strong on the puck) if he could put it all together.

Bring Back Krajicek*

Andrei Medvedev.
Well, maybe just the "huge" part of "hugely hyped".

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Taylor Pyatt. I know he was a first rounder, but the hype there was just ungodly considering the return. Mike Komisarek was another one like that. He is turning into a really good defensive defenseman, but people were talking Pronger type impact.

I agree with Jiri Hudler as well. He was one of those players that I thought was going to take the league by storm due to all the hype and having not seen him play.

Evan McGrath would be another. I know it's still VERY early with him, but there was talk he was the most talented North American offensive forward in the draft that year and he hasn't done anything of note at the professional level yet. 3 goals in the AHL this year in 35 games.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Andrei Medvedev.
Well, maybe just the "huge" part of "hugely hyped".

LOL.

I still can't believe we drafted that guy. I know that pretty much everybody knew it was a crappy pick from the start, some thinking that if he lost weight it could be a steal, but there were a few who actually thought he would be good because he 'led Russia to consecutive gold medals' forgetting that he was pulled in the first and got to face Canada's undersized an anaemic offense the second time around.

And anybody remember Eero Somervuori? I remember several magazines and news outlets labelling him a Calder Trophy favorite.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Somervuori is a great choice for this. Kind of unhearalded for most of the time and then all of a sudden everyone loved him. I know I did for a while and I thought he would be a great player.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Try and stay away from 1st round picks and the like. Mostly stick to guys who kind of came out of nowhere with hype (hell, even 1st rounders for no real reason OTHER than hype like Jessiman, I guess, could be talked about here).

Matt Foy.

Remember the HUGE hype he received after the monster season with the 67's and Corey Locke (another one who deserves some mention in this thread)? What's he done so far? Pretty much nothing. Looks more and more like a career minor leaguer to me each time I've seen him play.

Going way back, but I remember drafting both Oleg Saprykin and Milan Kraft in a 2000 fantasy league because they'd gotten so much hype here.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
As a Lightning fan I didn't understand the hype of Somervuori, I remember a few magazines that projected him to get 50-55 points. He ended up having a horrible camp and was never heard from again.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's funny. I posted my Kraft comment not before reading the thread and seeing a few others already naming him. I'd say that makes him a winner (or loser)

Transported Upstater

And anybody remember Eero Somervuori? I remember several magazines and news outlets labelling him a Calder Trophy favorite.

Yup.

I believe it was The Hockey News' '03-'04 Season Preview Issue.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I don't thinK Jessiman was hugely hyped, from day 1 he was considered a "project" who would either be boom or bust.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
Nik Antropov
He went 10th overall. He's still in the NHL, but still.
And Rico Fata.
Oh, and maybe Patrik Stefan......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->