ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I was just going to mention that. I wonder how many people have any idea nowadays though.

Like was said for other guys that have tons of freak injuries, Carlo's play has been everything that most Leafs fans expected WHEN he's played. It's taken longer to get to the NHL due to about 5 seperate severe injuries. He's here now, and he's doing quite well.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Both are at least NHLers and great penalty killers. :dunno:

Yep. I'm still curious how guys who have spent years in the NHL (Chad Kilger, Nik Antropov) can be called players who have "done nothing". I understand that they didn't reach their peak projection, some not even close at all, but out of their draft years, how many other players made the big show, and stuck for as long as they did.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yep. I'm still curious how guys who have spent years in the NHL (Chad Kilger, Nik Antropov) can be called players who have "done nothing". I understand that they didn't reach their peak projection, some not even close at all, but out of their draft years, how many other players made the big show, and stuck for as long as they did.

Yeah, exactly. This is more about guys who randomly came out of nowhere to get this insane amount of hype and then fell completely off the map.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
The problem with guys like Ari Ahonen and J-F Domphousse and other goalies who were hyped up to be the replacment to great goalies is that the goalies they were supposed to replace played 75 games a season no matter how well the backup played. Where was the motivation? Ahonen is a great example. Lots of potential and talent, rotted away in the minors waiting for a chance to get into the NHL and never got it.

habs1988

Mar 1, 2003
I don't know
Visit site
Stanislav Chistov
Tim Gleason (hummm...I prefer Jack Johnson over him..what a bad trade :dunno: )
Vaclav Nedorost
Micheal Rupp
Eric Chouinard instead of Gagné :shakehead
Robert Dome
Mika Noronen
Aki Berg

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
This one is a bbit of a blast from the past (at least as far as HF is concerned), but I remember reading a Hockey News or TSN preview where they did a huge spread on Jaroslav Svejkovsky and projected him to be the Calder Winner (97 maybe?). They were gushing about the kid...He scored fur goals in a game for the Caps but was forced to retire because of post concussion syndrme thugh he never came close to his hype.

I'll get flamed for this for certain, but the sheer amount of hype that SOME Habs fans have given Andrei Kostitsyn has been really just a little (alot) much. I realize he still has time and is young, but he was getting Malkin type hype, and you would think that the way he was talked about, it wouldnt have taken him this long to even stick in the NHL, let alone make his mark as the steal of the 03 draft. He still could be something, but I think it is safe to say that he was MUCH more hype than substance thus far. In terms of hype, he has to be in the top 5 all time on HF.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
3 guys that have been mentioned in this thread are playing on the same team in the German league...http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=3002

Never understood why Tkaczuk wasnt given a bit of a look see as his only stint produced at least decent numbers.

I see Kraft being mentioned here (and I was a Kraft hype guy myself) and I think that he wasnt given much of a shot. Had he been in a better situation, I feel the results would be different. His final season he really started to come around on a horrible Pens team. In fact, I would rather have him on the Pens right now than Ouelette or Malone.
Still, Kraft was nowhere near the hype alot of us were giving him.

turnbuckle*

Stanislav Chistov
Vaclav Nedorost
Micheal Rupp
Robert Dome
Mika Noronen
Aki Berg

Eric Chouinard at no time was hyped on this board in the time I've been here (7 years). All he has been is panned, trust me.

What you have done is make a list of players who were drafted too high, and a good one at that.;)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Tim Gleason is an NHL regular. How exactly was he overhyped on these boards? All I remember at the time of the Johnson trade was how Carolina threw Johnson away for nothing. Or to steal a quote from every other post, "A third liner and a bottom pairing defenseman".

If anything, Gleason is under appreciated at this point. He looks like he's going to be Aaron Ward version two. Now that may not make a great return for a player of Johnson's potential caliber, but it's hardly considered a bust. Plus, he was a first round pick anyways. You'd be hard pressed to name a player that fit any less what the initial poster wanted out of this thread.

turnbuckle*

This one is a bbit of a blast from the past (at least as far as HF is concerned), but I remember reading a Hockey News or TSN preview where they did a huge spread on Jaroslav Svejkovsky and projected him to be the Calder Winner (97 maybe?). They were gushing about the kid...He scored fur goals in a game for the Caps but was forced to retire because of post concussion syndrme thugh he never came close to his hype.

I'll get flamed for this for certain, but the sheer amount of hype that SOME Habs fans have given Andrei Kostitsyn has been really just a little (alot) much. I realize he still has time and is young, but he was getting Malkin type hype, and you would think that the way he was talked about, it wouldnt have taken him this long to even stick in the NHL, let alone make his mark as the steal of the 03 draft. He still could be something, but I think it is safe to say that he was MUCH more hype than substance thus far. In terms of hype, he has to be in the top 5 all time on HF.

Malkin type hype? Top 5 all time? Give me a brrrreak. He's been panned way more than he's been hyped...top five panned I'd agree with.

What was pointed out a hundred times when the criticisms got heavy was that "experts" such as Bob McKenzie suggested he could be a top three talent in the draft if it wasn't for his epilepsy, so many Hab fans weren't writing him off when the bashing started a couple of years ago. This of course became the crux of the overhype decriers, and is what you are focusing on I suppose. Your memory appears to be short and biased on this subject; the majority of Hab fans have never claimed that he would be one of the top three players form that great draft; buit many did react to the onslaught of criticism when later picks like 'carter and Getzlaf were successful players at the WJC and the hype machine went into full gear. If anything Carter has been one of the overhyped player from that draft, but i won't go into that now.

What we should do is a list of players that people around here wrote off unfairly before they were 22 years of age. What many don't appear to realize is that the average age of NHLers making it as NHL regulars is 23+, so Andrei shouldn't be discounted yet.

the Habs have six wingers battling for top-line positions with the big club as it is with Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins, Latendresse, Samsonov and Perezhogin... the Habs are giving Perezhogin a full opportunity this year ahead of Kostitsyn, which was the proper way to do it - but there is no secret that the club will be finding a spot for him later this season and on a full-time basis next season. He has looked solid in his last two callups, but there was no room for him on the top two lines (where he'll eventually play) once the injured players came back; he's not going to sit in the press box.

Kostitsyn is the most NHL ready prospect on the farm club, and continues to display the skills that will earn him a regular shift in the league next season. His defensive play is underrated, and has come a long way from his days as the rising young star in Belarus. He may be a regular in the lineup before this season ends.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Tim Gleason is an NHL regular. How exactly was he overhyped on these boards? All I remember at the time of the Johnson trade was how Carolina threw Johnson away for nothing. Or to steal a quote from every other post, "A third liner and a bottom pairing defenseman".

If anything, Gleason is under appreciated at this point. He looks like he's going to be Aaron Ward version two. Now that may not make a great return for a player of Johnson's potential caliber, but it's hardly considered a bust. Plus, he was a first round pick anyways. You'd be hard pressed to name a player that fit any less what the initial poster wanted out of this thread.

I see where yu are ging but this isnt exactly about busts but instead about guys who were overhyped and Gleason has fit into that category somewhat over the years.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Malkin type hype? Top 5 all time? Give me a brrrreak. He's been panned way more than he's been hyped...top five panned I'd agree with.

What was pointed out a hundred times when the criticisms got heavy was that "experts" such as Bob McKenzie suggested he could be a top three talent in the draft if it wasn't for his epilepsy, so many Hab fans weren't writing him off when the bashing started a couple of years ago. This of course became the crux of the overhype decriers, and is what you are focusing on I suppose. Your memory appears to be short and biased on this subject; the majority of Hab fans have never claimed that he would be one of the top three players form that great draft; buit many did react to the onslaught of criticism when later picks like 'carter and Getzlaf were successful players at the WJC and the hype machine went into full gear. If anything Carter has been one of the overhyped player from that draft, but i won't go into that now.

What we should do is a list of players that people around here wrote off unfairly before they were 22 years of age. What many don't appear to realize is that the average age of NHLers making it as NHL regulars is 23+, so Andrei shouldn't be discounted yet.

the Habs have six wingers battling for top-line positions with the big club as it is with Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins, Latendresse, Samsonov and Perezhogin... the Habs are giving Perezhogin a full opportunity this year ahead of Kostitsyn, which was the proper way to do it - but there is no secret that the club will be finding a spot for him later this season and on a full-time basis next season. He has looked solid in his last two callups, but there was no room for him on the top two lines (where he'll eventually play) once the injured players came back; he's not going to sit in the press box.

Kostitsyn is the most NHL ready prospect on the farm club, and continues to display the skills that will earn him a regular shift in the league next season. His defensive play is underrated, and has come a long way from his days as the rising young star in Belarus. He may be a regular in the lineup before this season ends.

Says the Habs fan....Ive been here fr awhile (and my memory is pretty clear, but t be on the safe side, HF has this neat-o little search feature), I remember the hype HERE (not just frm RLR and Bb McKenzie).
AK has been talked up probably as much as anybody here by certain Hab fans. Do a search. And yes, he still may turn into a very good player but, IMO, he will be nowhere near the player that certain fans said he would be the 2 years following his draft.
I dont need to know how "solid" he has looked in his call ups or how he has imprved. The point was/is that he was MASSIVLEY overhyped on these boards. Everybody who was around here can attest to that. Try not to get so defensive and look at it objectively instead of calling someone else biased.
Why on earth would I care one way or another about AK, while as a Hab fan, you would be the one who has more of a reason to be biased?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Antropov was never hyped up as the offensive dynamo! He still is what he is, a solid two-way player, only IF he stays away from injuries though. When he plays, he's one of the best defensive forwards for the Leafs. Judging from the terrible draft in which Antropov went, he turned out better than many first rounders I think, only WHEN he actually steps on the ice though.

I've never seen a player receive more divergent reviews than Antropov. There were a few scouts who had him ranked as the top player in the 1998 Draft, ahead of Lecavalier and Legwand, who were 1-2 on pretty much every other scouts list. Then there were other scouts who didn't have Antropov on their lists at all.

He had a brilliant three-assist performance vs. Canada in the 7th place game at the 1998 WJC. Canada had mailed it in at that point, but Antropov had the game of his life. Scouts were scrambling to find out more about the lanky Kazakh with the great hands.

Entering the 1998 Draft, Antropov was the mystery of the day. Everybody knew he was going to be taken in the first round. The only question was where, and would a team trade up to get him. Toronto was sitting at No. 8. They knew they could get Antropov at 10, so they dropped down, and Chicago moved up to get Mark Bell.

Your perspective on Antropov entering the 1998 Draft should determine whether he's a disappointment. If you watched the big centre dominate Canada, and had him rated No. 1, or even in the top 10, he should be classified as a disappointment. If you thought he was a flash in the pan, and viewed that performance against Canada as the result of a mean-nothing game, then you're probably not upset. But I think the Leafs were expecting more from him.

Radulov for Czar*

Stanislav Chistov
Vaclav Nedorost
Michael Rupp
Robert Dome
Mika Noronen
Aki Berg

So scoring a Cup clinching goal isn't enough for you?

Radulov for Czar*

It isnt as if he werent there his team wouldnt have won....so just because he scored a big goal in a big game doesnt mean he cant be a dissapointment.

but if he doesn't score that goal, there is no guarantee his team wins. His goal clinched the Stanley Cup, period.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Brodeur: I think Rupp was pimped around after he helped the Devils win their 2003 Stanley Cup. 4 points in 4 games I think. but before that I don't think he was really well known.

It kind of highlights why certain guys get pimped, because they happened to perform in high profile games and/or they did it while at a really young age.

Evan McGrath did well as 16 year old kid, scoring 2 goals in the Memorial Cup final game. He has really struggled in the AHL. I'm not going to throw in the towel but it's not good.

Kiel Mcleod. Wow was that ever a hyped guy. I think again, it was a big time performance in the memorial cup that did it. Wait, did he play in the mem cup? Anyway, he was an overager in the OHL which led to the hype. I admit I bought it, thought he could become a poor man's Keith Primeau.

Here are some names I'm throwing out there that I don't haven't been mentioned yet (sorry if wrong):
Kyle Wanvig (claim to fame is the Toronto Maple Leaf Fax incident)
Barret Heisten
Brad Moran
Vaclav Nedorost
Shawn Belle
Jeff Jillson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad