Post-Game Talk: It's true Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If you rewatch that play you will see Connor standing around doing nothing. It is quite common for our d to pressure the point in our d scheme. When they do it, the forwards job to rotate down. Instead if rotating down Kyle Connor just stands there in no man's land.

First goal he is trying to clear the rebound and it goes wonky off his stick and in our net. Bad break.

As for Morrissey, no he hasn't looked as good as usual but he's being tasked with playing huge minutes against the best players with a bottom pairing at best partner who can't move the puck. Not an easy assignment and imo he's going through an adjustment period learning to play under those circumstances.

Still he's keeping things relatively even in terms of shot and chance share so far.
Connor has been doing a lot of standing around watching in his own end, but I digress. I'm at the point right now after watching the goals the Jets are conceding and not blaming individual players. We're seeing the same breakdowns in coverage regardless of who is on the ice, that tells me something.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Copp was already on the guy, no reason for Morissey to chase him too, which is probably what Conner was thinking.

Looks like we both posted at the same time, with the same call - and you are correct.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This take is way off target -
Mo got caught out of position and then decides to chase down the puck carrier who was not his man.
The puck carrier was heading toward open ice and Copp had him - he was Copp's man - but Mo chases him anyway and the carrier passes off to the open guy down low (who should have been Poolman's man but he was left covering the front of the net because Mo was off on a goose chase).

There was absolutely no time for KC to pick up the guy down low unless he knew before hand that Mo was going to chase a carrier who was already covered (Copp). This all happened at game speed - maybe a second or 2.
This was a mess once Mo realized he was out of position and decided to chase the carrier rather than getting back into position.

If you want to blame the guy that was positioned where he should have been (between the low and high Yot guys), go for it.

We disagree that is fine. Once Morrissey switched with Copp he dropped down low to take away one of the net front players. Connor is looking at Morrissey for most of the time Morrissey is skating up to check the player, that is the sign that he needs to drop down low but he doesn't move at all and just stands in the same position. Sure maybe Morrissey shouldn't of switched with Copp but Conner also needs to have better awareness and actually get engaged in the dzone.

But like Ducky10 says there is enough misques in the dzone that it's likely nobody really knows thatvthey are supposed to do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Connor has been doing a lot of standing around watching in his own end, but I digress. I'm at the point right now after watching the goals the Jets are conceding and not blaming individual players. We're seeing the same breakdowns in coverage regardless of who is on the ice, that tells me something.

It tells me that the players and coach aren't on the same page.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We disagree that is fine. Once Morrissey switched with Copp he dropped down low to take away one of the net front players. Connor is looking at Morrissey for most of the time Morrissey is skating up to check the player, that is the sign that he needs to drop down low but he doesn't move at all and just stands in the same position.

But like Ducky10 says there is enough misques in the dzone that it's likely nobody really knows thatvthey are supposed to do.

Mo didn't switch with Copp - he almost ran him over trying to get to the puck carrier -
I agree with the bold - chaos will ensue with this type of D coverage.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It tells me that the players and coach aren't on the same page.

It tells me our D is a tire fire and JoMo is trying to do too much -
Can't really blame him - but at the end of the day, you need to on this particular play.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here are my thoughts on the matter:

A more balanced lineup composition will mitigate some of the defensive challenges. Instead putting all your offensive players together and all of your defensive players together (Moe likes to specialize his lines) spreading those elements around will help make up for certain deficiencies. We have enough solid defensive players that we can spread them around a bit.

• The top line was not a defensive liability with Ehlers on it. Right now you have Scheifele trying to carry all the mail in that regard. If he has help from one of his wingers (Sorry but Wheeler is very mediocre in his own end) then the line will be fine.
  • Roslovic contrary to what most people think is a pretty balanced player, good on offense and defense which is why his line with Perrault and Appelton have had good success.
  • That leaves two lines to solve. I think moving Copp back with Lowry helps that line tremendously. Having Little with Connor and Wheeler helps that line.
It is also why Morrissey looked much better when you put Pionk on his pairing today. With Poolman he was being asked to do it all, puck moving as Poolman is poor there and covering for a player who is in over their head defensively. The end result results is the team spending more time in our end. With Pionk he can at least move the puck quickly and gaps well in he nz so JoMo only really has to cover for him defensively. The team isn't defending as much and can press more. Morrissey also looked excellent with Niku in the preseason for the same reason.

Balance is a good thing that takes pressure off of your best players

Maurice also needs to manage the minutes of our top players. Hard to stay mentally and physically engaged when playing big minutes every game. The same is probably true of players playing too few minutes (Hard to stay sharp when you don't play much)

I think a more offensive style will help as well as the more time on the offensive the less time hopefully defending. Quick skating dmen that can hard gap with forward back pressure in the nz will force a lot of dump ins. With a mobile and active d that can quickly transition those dump ins back out of your end.

Also spending less time in our end will lead to better 5 man defense as there will be less chance of pulling a player out of position or a player missing a switch. Also less fatigue playing it.

I will have to look more at how we defend as a 5 man unit, perhaps we need to simplify the system.

I also think players will be more motivated to defend if they see the offensive benefit to it. The way it is now we generally have a hard time gaining any offensive traction after extended time in our end.

Some good points. I don't think Scheifele is as good defensively as you give him credit for. He is mediocre at best. Wheeler is somewhat less than that. Ehlers helps balance that line a lot.

I think Laine needs to be with Scheifele. So does Ehlers. So Wheeler cannot be. Sorry captain but you don't fit there.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
As for Morrissey, no he hasn't looked as good as usual but he's being tasked with playing huge minutes against the best players with a bottom pairing at best partner who can't move the puck.
I mention this exact thing earlier. Morrissey is handling the toughest assignments with very little support.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish people wouldn't compare the two teams. The Blues defenseman roster >> Jets defenseman roster. There is no hope for a similar turnaround for the Jets, unless Chevy somehow rebuilds the defense mid season.... which I don't think is wise or even possible.

I agree. The SC is not on for this year. But a coaching change might at least get a little better than what we have seen the last couple of games.

I think what we are seeing is similar to what happened to our PP last year. Once one team figured it out, the word got around and every team knew how to defend it. This year, the word has got around that our D can't defend against an aggressive forecheck and is vulnerable to an aggressive backcheck, so now everyone is exploiting our weakness. (Good grief. Put those 2 weaknesses together. I hope we are at least strong in the NZ. :laugh:) (Add in that our PP bleeds shorties and our PK doesn't get the job done.)

And we haven't even played any actually good teams yet! Yikes!
(Pens aren't all that great if healthy and they are not healthy right now.)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish this was true. I feel he has a free pass because of the defense Chevy has gave him.

I think it works exactly the opposite way to that. When the problem is the GM's fault he needs to either fire the coach or fire himself. Coach always gets fired in that case - unless the owner steps in and fires the GM first. I don't see that happening.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
JoMo is getting a taste of what Trouba went through playing with Stu, without the sheltering.

Shouldn’t be this way. Buff needs to come back to save the kid’s sanity.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Chiarot was great value compared to Potato -- no comparison ? I liked Chiarot, big and tough, asnd a pretty good defenseman

Chevy was willing to go $ 3 mil on Chiarot, and Montreal was willing to go $ 3.5 mil --so you have to think these GM's know a little bit about hockey players, and their value.

We could not have afforded Myers at $ 6mil and kept Connor and signed Laine, but we could have afforded Chiarot -- right price, and a great fit for the Jets IMO.

I might agree with this except that Chiarot is no better than Kulikov and Beaulieu. Our D corps would be better if our left side was JMo, Kuli and Bowloo. Which it would be if we could have Pionk, Buff and Niku on the right. But with Buff MIA and Bowloo and Niku injured we are a patched together mess that makes us look fondly back on Chiarot.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Some good points. I don't think Scheifele is as good defensively as you give him credit for. He is mediocre at best. Wheeler is somewhat less than that. Ehlers helps balance that line a lot.

I think Laine needs to be with Scheifele. So does Ehlers. So Wheeler cannot be. Sorry captain but you don't fit there.

I think this is correct. Wheeler is too much of a passenger on that line currently and doesn't add enough defense to make it functional with anyone but Ehlers. Laine - Scheif offense is too good to ignore.

Unfortunately I think it would also be problematic to have both Connor and Wheeler on the same line as some are suggesting.

It might be better to do something like:

Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Roslovic - Appleton (or Copp)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The fourth goal was not on Morrissey who was out closing down the player walking across the line with the puck. Connor was the one who failed to rotate down to cover the open player.

Oh it certainly was. He jumped in to the play late, hopped on Copps guy and for whatever reason decided to stay with him after he passed it down low.

You do not want Connor leaving his right point man in that situation. If Morrissey stays low, Copp pursues the puck carrier, and Connor mans his point man, everyone is covered exactly how they should be.

909e5b9a-c5ab-4dfc-b8c2-1fedb3739fad-original.png

157f5234-bdb5-4bc3-a6e8-02eef71be045-original.png

cc100ddb-e905-4555-8414-1da791e8e4d1-original.png

4159d4c7-bd76-4e88-b852-ba3d07a61ce2-original.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
One thing that has really struck me the last two games is how poor our close puck support has been. They are playing so far off of one another, they’ve lost so many pucks in both ends because the puck carrier has lacked support in closer proximity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad