Post-Game Talk: It's true Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Let's just say, I'm not ok with this. I want hope, I want happiness. This isn't it.

Sure, someone might say that I don't have to sacrifice my sleep to watch, is some kind of happiness. I'm still not sure about it. I love Winnipeg winning and I love to see it. So there's that.

Hopeful for a strong comeback with the caliber of players we have, but at the same sentence without taking a breath... I don't think I'm willing to hold my breath for much longer.

Anyway, Go Jets Go. I really, really don't want this or this and the next (too early yes) to be just off-season. I want the team to be in the playoffs. Sometimes it's just hard to see since once upon a time there was this Jets team that was a contender for the whole thing. Now, it's harder to see, I don't want to see it that way.

Hope everyones liver is still safe.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Of course he knew he was losing Trouba, Myers and Chariot at a certain point in time.......that’s how the cap works. Trouba he knew was going to be traded before the draft. Chariot & Myers he likely knew shortly after July 1st that he wasn’t going to be able to sign them......which is good both are overpaid. Buff he may of had some hints during the summer and hoped for the best.......until Buffs answer was known and then he told Buff to rethink about it. All the above issues nothing Chevy could do differently IMO and I would of done exactly the same.

Chevy likely was thinking Pionk would hopefully fill #4 spot on the right side. So he likely was expecting a top 4 of:

Josh, Buff, Pionk and Kulikov, which isn’t terrible......but we all know with the Buff announcement that’s a big curveball thrown at Chevy that wasn’t planned for. Our bottom pairing would of been fine, so that’s a reasonable top six D had Buff reported to camp.

Ville has allowed the Jets time to look at other options and on Buff. Now we’re hearing some positive comments about a potential Buff return......so we shall see.

Not sure what people were expecting.......this is happening as I would expect it so far considering the Buff surprise situation.

No way in hell that Kulikov is a top 4 NHL D man, everyone in hockey should know that!

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Kuli almost scored a goal yesterday. The Coyotes goalie just caught a piece of it. Any other Jets almost score?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
There were many empty seats. Almost entire rows empty.

Yeah, it's been pretty widely reported. I've had tons of emails recently from TNSE offering discounted seats through October, and I'd expect things to get worse with winter weather and more losses piling up (if they do). Not sure an emphasis on youth and entertaining hockey is going to stem the bleeding but maybe worth a shot over the current shambles.

Agree that Chevy bears some responsibility for this. Had to have seen this coming over the summer and needed to get his pro scouts out deep in the trenches looking for under-the-radar D-men who weren't the Potato and weren't going to push us over the cap, especially with the injuries out of camp. Lots to like about his tenure but sometimes creativity and quick reflexes are needed, and he just hasn't shown much of that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am wondering if a reset year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Analyze what you have as a likely skeleton and create a plan to fill those gaps internally or externally in the summer. Here is mine:

Ehlers - Scheifle - Laine
Connor xXxX - Wheeler
Perrault Roslovic - Little
Copp Lowry Appelton

Xxx - Second line center. There are some excellent C's in the draft so bottoming out for one could solve that hole long term.

Morrissey yyyyy
Hhhhh Pionk/Niku
Gggg Pionk/Niku
Poolman

There are some internal options for H and G in Samberg, Heinola and Stanley all likely pushing for those slots.

There are a couple of good UFA RD on the market so I would target a Hamonic, Krug, Peterangelo etc to fill slot Y.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
No one is claiming he is......just like Chariot wasn’t.

No neither is Chariot, the whole argument is why Chevy (and TNSE) thought going into the 19-20 season with only 3 top 4 D was a prudent decision.

Niku and Poolman still unproven at the NHL level even for a bottom pairing, Beaulieu a bottom pairing guy at best, Bitetto and Dahlstrom desperate gambles who are barely bottom six capable, no one saw the emergence of Heinola as a possibility and he looked better than most of the guys but now doesn't play for reasons known only to Maurice!

In the case of Heinola, how does a guy go from playing over 19 minutes a game through his first 5 NHL games to sitting in the press box for the last 3 games of which 2 the Jets have lost badly!

Maurice is an idiot!

Pigseye

Oct 14, 2019
Their defensive zone play is really bad, especially the vets.
Schief gets knocked off the puck by his man who then beats him to the front of the net to tip in the first Yotes goal.
Morrisey goes for a skate and it's in the back of their net.
The vets on the PK are standing around watching.

I'd like to blame the new guys but it wasn't them this time. Until this team gets serious about playing in the defensive zone nothing is going to help, is it Maurice or players, I don't know but Maurice is the one letting it continue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Schief gets knocked off the puck by his man who then beats him to the front of the net to tip in the first Yotes goal.

I'd like to blame the new guys but it wasn't them this time. Until this team gets serious about playing in the defensive zone nothing is going to help, is it Maurice or players, I don't know but Maurice is the one letting it continue.

The fourth goal was not on Morrissey who was out closing down the player walking across the line with the puck. Connor was the one who failed to rotate down to cover the open player.

Reactions: FonRiesen

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know what other posters think, but to me --Morrissey was at fault for 2 goals. I believe on the 2nd goal he accidentally shot the puck into his own net. On another goal Morrissey was caught up at the blueline with only one Jet defender back. The guy couldn't do much, except take away the cross ice pass, leaving the guy at the side of the net wide open -- and that was Josh's man. The guy scored, and shouldn't have been left all alone.

Morrissey hasn't looked good lately, and usually he's a pretty head smart hockey player. I hope he get's it together soon, as he's supposed to be our leader, back there on the blue line.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree he is too risk adverse for his own good sometimes. If you want to be a fast team dress a roster that will allow you to be a fast team and live with the growing pains, don't try to half ass it by putting in low upside vets that can't play that brand of hockey. He puts a bit too much emphasis on experience, yes it is useful to have but only if materializes to solid play on the ice.

Also have the courage to try to balance the top 9. You don't have to have all your best players on one line. Most of the best teams tend to spread them around to create matchup issues.

Well said!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know what other posters think, but to me --Morrissey was at fault for 2 goals. I believe on the 2nd goal he accidentally shot the puck into his own net. On another goal Morrissey was caught up at the blueline with only one Jet defender back. The guy couldn't do much, except take away the cross ice pass, leaving the guy at the side of the net wide open -- and that was Josh's man. The guy scored, and shouldn't have been left all alone.

Morrissey hasn't looked good lately, and usually he's a pretty head smart hockey player. I hope he get's it together soon, as he's supposed to be our leader, back there on the blue line.

If you rewatch that play you will see Connor standing around doing nothing. It is quite common for our d to pressure the point in our d scheme. When they do it, the forwards job to rotate down. Instead if rotating down Kyle Connor just stands there in no man's land.

First goal he is trying to clear the rebound and it goes wonky off his stick and in our net. Bad break.

As for Morrissey, no he hasn't looked as good as usual but he's being tasked with playing huge minutes against the best players with a bottom pairing at best partner who can't move the puck. Not an easy assignment and imo he's going through an adjustment period learning to play under those circumstances.

Still he's keeping things relatively even in terms of shot and chance share so far.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So
I am wondering if a reset year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Analyze what you have as a likely skeleton and create a plan to fill those gaps internally or externally in the summer. Here is mine:

Ehlers - Scheifle - Laine
Connor xXxX - Wheeler
Perrault Roslovic - Little
Copp Lowry Appelton

Xxx - Second line center. There are some excellent C's in the draft so bottoming out for one could solve that hole long term.

Morrissey yyyyy
Hhhhh Pionk/Niku
Gggg Pionk/Niku
Poolman

There are some internal options for H and G in Samberg, Heinola and Stanley all likely pushing for those slots.

There are a couple of good UFA RD on the market so I would target a Hamonic, Krug, Peterangelo etc to fill slot Y.
So this is a line up for 3 years from now

Reactions: Mbraunm

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If you rewatch that play you will see Connor standing around doing nothing. It is quite common for our d to pressure the point in our d scheme. When they do it, the forwards job to rotate down. Instead if rotating down Kyle Connor just stands there in no man's land.

First goal he is trying to clear the rebound and it goes wonky off his stick and in our net. Bad break.

As for Morrissey, no he hasn't looked as good as usual but he's being tasked with playing huge minutes against the best players with a bottom pairing at best partner who can't move the puck. Not an easy assignment and imo he's going through an adjustment period learning to play under those circumstances.

You make some very good points Surixon -- and I agree with some, especially about the forwards, helping out in a defensive role, when it's called for.

Still he's keeping things relatively even in terms of shot and chance share so far.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I feel sorry for all the poor sob's that paid to see that dumpster fire of game live in person.

EAkfeLCXkAEBnAf.jpg
Me, I finally sacked up and got season tickets. What a time to be STH.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
We were also .500 in the entire second half of last season as well, with a much better (though somewhat injury plagued) D roster.

If we're going to count the injured players towards our roster strength, why not count Byfuglien to our current D-core strength?

We were missing two legit elite D-players, all the evidence pointed at Buff and Morrissey's long absences as the cause. It started when they were out, it ended when they were back, it was half as bad when only one was out, and in the end we played the eventual Cup winners very close, fancy-stats wise and eye-test wise.

Reactions: Jets 31

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No neither is Chariot, the whole argument is why Chevy (and TNSE) thought going into the 19-20 season with only 3 top 4 D was a prudent decision.

Niku and Poolman still unproven at the NHL level even for a bottom pairing, Beaulieu a bottom pairing guy at best, Bitetto and Dahlstrom desperate gambles who are barely bottom six capable, no one saw the emergence of Heinola as a possibility and he looked better than most of the guys but now doesn't play for reasons known only to Maurice!

In the case of Heinola, how does a guy go from playing over 19 minutes a game through his first 5 NHL games to sitting in the press box for the last 3 games of which 2 the Jets have lost badly!

Maurice is an idiot!

An NHL team with three top 4 D and one bottom pairing guy in their top 4 isn’t uncommon imo........I mean the Jets have never had four top 4 D or at its arguably if they did. One could argue some of the Penguins cup teams didn’t have four top 4 D on their teams.

Ville is an easy answer and it’s nothing to do with PMO......it’s development and cap. I said a similar thing in the Ville thread.....he is being sent to the Moose or Finland imo.....

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Playing Copp there the right way deploy players. There are diminishing returns to staking skilled players together and you want someone who can do the dirty work to get the puck for the skill guys. What good is having 3 offensively gifted players when they never have the puck? Meanwhile what good does it do to have all the players who can get the puck on the same line if none of them can do anything with it afterwards?

^This!
We shouldn't expect to have 4 or even 3 fully balanced lines and everybody get the same TOI - but some balancing of skill-sets is a must.

Connor - Roslovic - Ehlers is an intriguing idea. That line would have speed to burn. But it might fail for never having the puck. Or not. Would be worth a try. As would:
ESL
C-Copp/Roslovic/Little-W

Mau needs to recognize that what he is doing is not working and try something different. He needs to get Letestu and Bitetto out of the lineup.

Reactions: Board Bard

Pigseye

Oct 14, 2019
The fourth goal was not on Morrissey who was out closing down the player walking across the line with the puck. Connor was the one who failed to rotate down to cover the open player.

Copp was already on the guy, no reason for Morissey to chase him too, which is probably what Conner was thinking.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

This take is way off target -
Mo got caught out of position and then decides to chase down the puck carrier who was not his man.
The puck carrier was heading toward open ice and Copp had him - he was Copp's man - but Mo chases him anyway and the carrier passes off to the open guy down low (who should have been Poolman's man but he was left covering the front of the net because Mo was off on a goose chase).

There was absolutely no time for KC to pick up the guy down low unless he knew before hand that Mo was going to chase a carrier who was already covered (Copp). This all happened at game speed - maybe a second or 2.
This was a mess once Mo realized he was out of position and decided to chase the carrier rather than getting back into position.

If you want to blame the guy that was positioned where he should have been (between the low and high Yot guys), go for it.

Reactions: GNP

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Isn’t Maurice’s PK scheme to stand around and let the other team fire away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad