Post-Game Talk: It's the End of the World as we know it, and we feel fine (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
"Forced to" in what respect? By the higher-ups or by our unacceptable defeat this year?

Ownership. If the reports about Mario , are actually true. Only basing it on that at this point.

While I think he's done many good things , he's done nothing to prove he can step away from that attachment of 2009 for it to happen on his own. Even this past deadline , he refused to let go of one of his guys . That's not a fair knock on him, because he absolutely could be right about Pouliot but just another example of him getting attached to a guy and not willing to part ways no matter what. That's not the same as him keeping(and trying with Staal) the core together but it's what's he's been about during his whole time here. I can't see him changing that on his own all of sudden but who knows, maybe an ultimatum from Mario would

Holmgren makes way too many big changes and Shero won't make any. Let's get a mixture of that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If DB is retained. I'm not spending another dollar on the Pens. It'd be a huge slap in the face to the fans.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Yeah, well that's not happening. I can't believe that RS would say such a thing. If he did he deserves more criticism than DB. And that's obviously quite a bit.

If there's any truth to it, he's got major balls, and he isn't very sharp. If a coworker and I weren't performing well, and the coworker was definitely going down, and I might too...I'd be talking myself up and knocking down my coworker to save my ass.

Michael8771*

I'm starting to believe THATRS is even a bigger fool than DB. He's stockpiled defensemen but left the cupboard empty regarding drafting wings IN THE FIRST round (except BB). This goes back to his days in Nashville. Maybe they can find a position for him there.

penguins2946*

I am more confident that Bylsma will be fired than Crosby will be a Penguin next year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If I'm Mario and Shero even tries to argue for keeping DB, I axe both of them. That makes my blood boil if they'd try and keep the status quo after this BS the last 5 years.

Michael8771*

correct

and he fills the seats at consol. directly putting money in the pockets of mario and burkle

2 shrewd business men
What'll keep people in those seats is winning championships. The fan base isn't as strong nor are the tickets in such high demand as they were say three years ago. In game seven they had to resort to the student rush to sell out the building.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If I'm Mario and Shero even tries to argue for keeping DB, I axe both of them. That makes my blood boil if they'd try and keep the status quo after this BS the last 5 years.

If Shero is still going to bat for Bylsma, then he should be gone without a doubt. It would show Shero has absolutely no understanding of what's wrong with this club.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Shero tied himself to Bylsma last season then that's it, that alone is damning. It's so monumentally stupid to go down with the king of the idiots that if your GM does that that should be it. Then he let Bylsma end it with the same stupid **** he always does. Not to mention Shero's other issues.

Michael8771*

If there's any truth to it, he's got major balls, and he isn't very sharp. If a coworker and I weren't performing well, and the coworker was definitely going down, and I might too...I'd be talking myself up and knocking down my coworker to save my ass.
Exactly! It's nonsensical to back DB when it's almost certain that he's about to lose his job. Well, unless RS really wants out himself.

ColdStare

Jul 20, 2011
Johnstown
I am more confident that Bylsma will be fired than Crosby will be a Penguin next year.

giphy.gif

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
What'll keep people in those seats is winning championships. The fan base isn't as strong nor are the tickets in such high demand as they were say three years ago. In game seven they had to resort to the student rush to sell out the building.

and without crosby, the face of the NHL, it would have would have been worse

again, from the business side of things

take a value of what the team is worth today with crosby

then hypothetically, in a month do it again without him

do you think the franchise has as much value?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I disagree. As I did then.

I thought one was more than sufficient. Even at the time when the team's defensive depth was less than it is, now. I'll never, ever believe in signing players for the sake of signing them. I understand that UFA signings are in some ways a "free asset" but I think that's a path of rapidly diminishing returns if you have no real plans for those players.

And obviously at least with one of those guys... that was very much the case.

That's not what I meant. If high-end wingers aren't available, you go for high-end defensemen, because we needed them at that point too. It's not like we could've had a great forward but chose defensemen, all things being equal.

Signing mediocre wingers because no elite ones are available would be exactly what you're advocating against here, IMHO.

I would have much rather gunned for their main guy on the blueline (Martin, I assume) and take a flier or two on one of these "mediocre wingers," instead. Since that has long been an actual team need. Maybe one of them would have panned out. Tough to find out if your only forays into that frightening land are the likes of Kobasew, Comrie, Boychuck, etc.

It's arguable. I wanted Whitney at the time, and he could have worked well.

It seems the main critique here though is that Shero hasn't gotten an elite winger to play with Sid full time. If you're arguing that Shero didn't try to acquire enough middle-of-the-road complementary wingers...I'm not sure what the point would be. Sid's had one of those attached to each hip for the last few years.

Not to mention all those types we've acquired at the deadline.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ownership. If the reports about Mario , are actually true. Only basing it on that at this point.

While I think he's done many good things , he's done nothing to prove he can step away from that attachment of 2009 for it to happen on his own. Even this past deadline , he refused to let go of one of his guys . That's not a fair knock on him, because he absolutely could be right about Pouliot but just another example of him getting attached to a guy and not willing to part ways no matter what. That's not the same as him keeping(and trying with Staal) the core together but it's what's he's been about during his whole time here. I can't see him changing that on his own all of sudden but who knows, maybe an ultimatum from Mario would

Holmgren makes way too many big changes and Shero won't make any. Let's get a mixture of that.

I'm not even sure what reports you're talking about, other than a single instance of ownership giving Shero the push to go for Hossa in '08.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm not even sure what reports you're talking about, other than a single instance of ownership giving Shero the push to go for Hossa in '08.

That Mario wasn't happy with Crosby and Malkin taking abuse without having anybody to protect. Nobody else to look at other than Shero when it comes to that. Again, I don't know if any of that is true, but that really wasn't my point anyways.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's arguable. I wanted Whitney at the time, and he could have worked well.

It seems the main critique here though is that Shero hasn't gotten an elite winger to play with Sid full time. If you're arguing that Shero didn't try to acquire enough middle-of-the-road complementary wingers...I'm not sure what the point would be. Sid's had one of those attached to each hip for the last few years.

I didn't word that too wonderfully.

Honestly, I'm not going to go back and look at that free agent class. Or any other that followed. But I can't help but think that it seems ridiculous that there weren't any guys floating around in there (like a Mason Raymond -- just an example) that wouldn't have been at least a good gamble to work on this team's top six. The guys I listed? Not good gambles. At all.

But then again... I don't really think this team has had a great idea of what their top six needs for a long, long time. So it isn't surprising. It doesn't matter at this point, though. I sincerely hope we are beyond reclamation projects. Again... unless they make sense. But with the way this team has hemmed itself in a corner with the cap, combined with it's obvious issues with the top six... eh... it's just depressing to have to see them still scrambling around about this undeniable issue something like 8 years later. It's ****ing ridiculous.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
what's even more sad is that you don't know what you're talking about. Suppose you enlighten us as to anything you asserted that's been a revelation or newsworthy. frankly you're as clueless on such matters as everyone else.

Oh my, you are the heralded one aren't you?
We should have a thread where nobody but you can post, you sure like to hear/read yourself so it seems. Everyone else is clueless... etc etc. You challenge the poster to enlighten on a revelation or newsworthy assertion, perhaps you should heed that as well. Your only claim is that you "mentioned" Goc weeks before we acquired him. Well la-de-da, guess what, Goc got mentioned last year too. Thats no revelation or newsworthy assertion. How about, since your so entitled to information that nobody else has, you tell us your source, afterall there is a site rule about alleging to having privy information... I'm of the opinion the only reason nobody else has the "information" you have is because it exists only in your head, thus we're all happily clueless.

Your a one trick pony, people challenge you on your info, and you respond consistently with "you don't know what your talking about" "of course you think that way" etc. You don't have any means by which to back up your statements, and when it comes that DB is relieved of his duties I bet your going to be claiming you had inside information on this too. Again that's not a revelation or newsworthy in the slightest. Walk the walk if your going to talk the talk, prove your claims or expect to continue to get called out - its just the way it works. Your going to need more than the self claimed Goc moment to do so. Send me a PM if you have to, but I'm not holding my breath that'll happen.

If I predict the suns rises tomorrow does that mean I know more about the shifts of the earth than you?

With regards to Phil the Thrill, 21 points in 22 playoff games, didn't realize he'd produced like that. However, only 22 playoff games in 8 NHL years? Having been forced by my local media to watch him night in and night out, I can tell you he's not a playoff type, when the going gets tough he's not one there grinding out the wins for you - aka playoff hockey. He gets the stats in the regular season sure, and whats impressive there is that he does it without much supporting cast. however he doesn't step up for that team when they need him to carry them.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
That's always great to read you guys, i feel somewhat alone on my french board :laugh:

But it's better to see the team you love being out and finally writing the prologue of a big *** cleaning, than keep watching that circus still performing.

This is gonna be an interesting summer. Just waiting those special 3 words, maybe it will be 6 too.

Last edited:

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
There is literally no scenario where trading Crosby improves this team. None. There is no combination of players with a total cap hit of $8.7 million or less that would make us better. Its not just unrealistic, it simply does not exist. Please just do us all a favor and stop with the BS. Its not cute or funny, its a below average attempt at trolling, because to think otherwise would be to accept the fact that someone is both monumentally Pejorative Slured enough to want to trade Crosby and yet somehow smart enough to operate a computer.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's always great to read you guys, i feel somewhat alone on my french board :laugh:

But it's better to see the team you love being out and finally writing the prologue of a big *** cleaning, than keep watching that circus still performing.

This is gonna be an interesting summer. Just waiting those special 3 words, maybe it will be 6 too.

Hey, welcome.

And yes, this was already shaping up to be a huge change offseason with the extra cap space and the cutting ties with a lot of players we knew was coming. Now with the likely firing of Disco, and maybe Shero, it will be one of the most interesting offseasons in years.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
and just an FYI to the guy

the gretzky trade was about money. which isnt allowed to be traded anymore for one

and with all those players and assets plus the stacked team they still had left, Edmonton won exactly 1 more championship

they had just won 4 in 5 years with gretzky, and probably on their way to a few more if they trade never happened

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lol it happens when one tries to really come up with an argument to trade Crosby. Some things you honestly cannot make up. I didn't like the way Sid played and hold him accountable, but wow...the thought of trading the best hockey player in the world never crosses my mind.

Emotions cause some pure craziness around here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad