Post-Game Talk: It's the End of the World as we know it, and we feel fine (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd love to ship out someone that gives a higher 1st round pick coming back in this years draft.

Very forward heavy 1st round this year and 2 picks in the top 22 would be sweet.

Giving up the 1st, I'd want a Kesler/E.Kane/Wheeler/Burns coming in.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Neal has a sexy contract IMO. He's regressed as a player though, not the power forward he used to be

Yeah I probably went a bit overboard when I compared his contract to Letangs.. that was off-base.

I do agree with your assessment of Neal regressing though. He didn't do anything down the stretch and in the playoffs. Not only that, but he was almost completely physically disengaged too.

When James Neal isn't scoring, isn't hitting, and is constantly taking bad penalties each game.. he's the definition of useless.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
A lot of quality wingers in Round 1 this year, especially. Which is why they're calling it a 'weak' draft. Everybody wants Selke candidates and puck-moving defensemen these days.

But this year's draft should be right up our alley. Of course, if we retain the current regime...

:shakehead

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Shero's drafting record is beyond questionable. I think we can all agree on that..

I've pounded the table on how the Staal pick was horrendous.. lets just be happy Jordan didn't sign the dotted line on that horrendous $60M / 10 year deal that Ray dished out in front of him.

It's bad enough having two ridiculous contracts on the books (Letang, Neal), much less three.

Besides that point, I think the most damning thing about Shero's tenure is that in his 8 years we have developed ZERO top-6 wingers. None.

Not only that, our cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to goaltending as well.

Neal is fine, he's just not the guy we wanted/ needed him to be. But 5 mil a year for him in this era is great. Still think he will be one of the guys who improves the most under a new system. Him and Scuderi( as ridiculous as it sounds ) are my predictions but I'll get into that after the new guys are hired.

But you are right about Shero. He paid Letang too much and passed up some sweetheart deals, because he was too afraid to breakup the core. Tried keeping Staal. He's made some great moves along with the bad but his biggest downfall was not seeing outside the box. Too afraid to take some risks and step away from 2009.

It ended up getting him canned. Should've been more selfish. People have hated Bylsma for awhile now, but it still amazes me how quick Shero went from "in Shero we trust" to what we are witnessing now. Hard fall.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Neal had a couple concussions and injuries over the last 2 years. Mix in that he's probably being told to tone down his dirty/chippiness as well.

His contract is "sexy" though.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah I probably went a bit overboard when I compared his contract to Letangs.. that was off-base.

I do agree with your assessment of Neal regressing though. He didn't do anything down the stretch and in the playoffs. Not only that, but he was almost completely physically disengaged too.

When James Neal isn't scoring, isn't hitting, and is constantly taking bad penalties each game.. he's the definition of useless.

Very true, which is why I want to trade him.....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm still a Shero supporter.

His patience can be good and bad, as anyone whose followed the fortunes of our players and our fanbase's consequent torch and pitchfork outings will agree. I think he's very much a net positive, and I'm interested to see how he cleans house this summer.

As for Neal, in spite of a poor playoffs, I thought he was one of our best forwards in Game 7 outside of that dumb penalty. He was working and generating chances, and backchecking well too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I thought that was one of the hardest working games Neal had all season, actually.

Which, uh... is kind of a problem, to be honest.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Mix in that he's probably being told to tone down his dirty/chippiness as well.

Yup definitely think that was a huge factor. Which is why I have him as a guy who will improve the most with a new system. Things spiraled out of control with him ever since the Philly series. What he did in that series we all loved , became a fan favorite. But he stepped over the line a few times after that ( like many other players) and developed a horrible rep, along with our team as a whole.

We saw the worst of that with the refs in these playoffs. The guy played with a tether on. Took away from his game IMO. If you're out there constantly worried about not taking a penalty and hurting your team , it's not as easy to focus on scoring.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, I thought that was one of the hardest working games Neal had all season, actually.

Which, uh... is kind of a problem, to be honest.

Big problem. Neal sure as hell didn't look like a 40 goal scorer at any point during this post-season... and its not like he was offering intangibles / toughness to make up for that lack of production. In fact, it was the opposite.. stupid penalties all day every day.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
My thing with Neal is that I want to see what he's like under an actual coach who will coach him. Because I think the potential is there and that deal is sweet.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

His patience can be good and bad, as anyone whose followed the fortunes of our players and our fanbase's consequent torch and pitchfork outings will agree. I think he's very much a net positive, and I'm interested to see how he cleans house this summer.

As for Neal, in spite of a poor playoffs, I thought he was one of our best forwards in Game 7 outside of that dumb penalty. He was working and generating chances, and backchecking well too.

Of course you are. We can't agree about everything. I'm pretty sure it's one of Hobbes' natural laws. :naughty:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Big problem. Neal sure as hell didn't look like a 40 goal scorer at any point during this post-season... and its not like he was offering intangibles / toughness to make up for that lack of production. In fact, it was the opposite.. stupid penalties all day every day.

He was never going to without Sid or Geno and no 1st unit PP time. I don't know why anyone would expect that.

Michael8771*

sad thing is, pittsburgh employs a writer who sounds just like this.

While we are getting rid of shero and bylsma, ownership needs to demand better writers for the team so it's not as embarrassing. Time to be taken seriously.
what's even more sad is that you don't know what you're talking about. Suppose you enlighten us as to anything you asserted that's been a revelation or newsworthy. frankly you're as clueless on such matters as everyone else.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Tough to deny.

He's absolutely a guy that I'd love to see under different circumstances, though. Like was said above my post -- I'd way rather have "top six" players like Dupuis and even Kunitz shown the door before Neal.

Having said that... not really that attached to the guy, either. Right deal comes along for a player that better fits Crosby and/or Malkin... then see ya, Lazy.

Michael8771*

I'd much rather trade Kunitz or Dupuis than Neal. That's for sure.
Neal is easily our most gifted goal scorer on wing. I also think in most cases he's a very good backchecker. TBH he gives a lot more effort than some here care to admit. But to his detriment he loses his cool, tries doin too much and takes bad penalties. That said I think he's more a help than a hindrance. Geno and He have unmistakable chemistry. If I'm breaking that up the return would have to be enormous.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

He's done a lot of good things. I'd want to keep him as well if I believed he actually could clean house. I'm pissed about him playing it way too safe the last 5 years, but I don't hold grudges. He does bring a lot to the table. He's has some pretty good deadlines. Biggest downfall is not being able to let go of 2009. So I wouldn't mind seeing him retained if he wised up and realized his mistakes. Instead of trying to push forward with the moves he already made, undo them. But I can't see him doing all of that unless he was forced to. And if he has to be forced to do so, then there's no need for him to be our GM.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Tough to deny.

He's absolutely a guy that I'd love to see under different circumstances, though. Like was said above my post -- I'd way rather have "top six" players like Dupuis and even Kunitz shown the door before Neal.

Having said that... not really that attached to the guy, either. Right deal comes along for a player that better fits Crosby and/or Malkin... then see ya, Lazy.

I'm with you on that. Neal's upside is a 50 goal guy, so its really tough to trade away a guy like that. Lets hope the next coach is able to tap some of that upside... because its obvious Bylsma was not pushing the right buttons.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Something I'm kind of curious about going forward ... what will our man games lost look like under a new coach? And, if Bylsma gets a new gig right away, what will be the injury situation with his new team? Basically, how much did his system contribute to/was responsible for the insane amount of man games lost over the last few seasons.

I was thinking the same thing in the car this morning... and then...

Idk, but it may be time for a new strength and conditioning coach too.

... this crossed my mind. Wondering if our training regimen focused too much on strength and not enough on flexibility and other things that can help to limit nagging injuries, etc. Not sure but it's an interesting thought.

Here is what Rossi is asking us to believe:

Mario wanted Bylsma fired last year.
Crosby and Malkin both became disenchanted with Bylsma.
Management felt like Bylsma had lost the room post Olympics.

And then he wants us to believe that, while all 3 of those are true, no one thought to fire Bylsma at any point.

Please, before you start questioning our future in the hands of Crosby and Malkin, use some deductive reasoning.

I deduce Rob Rossi is a ****ing buffoon who is guessing at obvious things just like he tries to do at deadline time, even though no one of consequence is feeding him any real information.

Moving on... if Shero goes, does anyone think the scouts (especially Dudley) go with him? I hope so. If you're going to clean house, clean house. Although I still think Jaques Martin might have a shot at hanging around because of how late he arrived and his coaching pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad