It's over...

How are y'all rn?

• Total voters

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
It will become very clear whether we are in Win-now mode or not at the TDL. I still think it's best we wait until next year to hit the gas

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I have an honest question for you guys about Matt Tkachuk. I've always thought he was a very talented guy that every team would love to have, and he is an extremely talented player. Is it just a lot of smoke around him and his attitude this season based on the teams results so far, or do any of you think there's more to it? Is the ice time cutting by Sutter a sign of bigger issues other than recent play and do any of you think there's an actual rift in the locker room that revolves around this kid, or is this just Canadian media trying to stir shit up again?

I still think this team is much better than they've shown but for whatever reason it just isn't translating and I wonder if it's due to anything related to the above. Locker room issues or is it just something else?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have an honest question for you guys about Matt Tkachuk. I've always thought he was a very talented guy that every team would love to have, and he is an extremely talented player. Is it just a lot of smoke around him and his attitude this season based on the teams results so far, or do any of you think there's more to it? Is the ice time cutting by Sutter a sign of bigger issues other than recent play and do any of you think there's an actual rift in the locker room that revolves around this kid, or is this just Canadian media trying to stir shit up again?

I still think this team is much better than they've shown but for whatever reason it just isn't translating and I wonder if it's due to anything related to the above. Locker room issues or is it just something else?

There is something rotten in the locker room. Your guess as to what and who is as good as mine.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Don’t really want to go on a tangent because it’s not the question that was asked, but Tkachuk really isn’t that talented even. Like, what does he do well besides deflect pucks, go between the legs, and protect the puck behind the other teams net?

Broken down like that he really only has the skills to be effective in like a 10’ x 10’ area on the ice. He’s probably one of the most overrated players on this team with all the “he only gets moved for a huge overpayment” comments.

Reactions: DFF

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Don’t really want to go on a tangent because it’s not the question that was asked, but Tkachuk really isn’t that talented even. Like, what does he do well besides deflect pucks, go between the legs, and protect the puck behind the other teams net?

Broken down like that he really only has the skills to be effective in like a 10’ x 10’ area on the ice. He’s probably one of the most overrated players on this team with all the “he only gets moved for a huge overpayment” comments.
I dunno. Everytime I watch he seems like one of the guys making an impact for the Flames, but it always feels like his "Marchandedness" detracts from his actual hockey. He has pretty good hands and he can create plays, he just seems to take himself out of the game by trying to get in everyone's heads.

I have a guy on my ball team like that. Loud and colorful by nature, but is always on. Refuses to understand that all it does is paint a permanent target on the backs of his teammates and not just himself. There's always a time and a place to turn it on,and a time and place to reel it back. I feel like Tkachuk has this same issue, which is what prompted my initial question.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I'm another Oilers fan popping in, but I still remember his between-the-legs top shelf OT winner last season from the high slot, I think against Nashville. I, like most Oilers fans, may hate the player, but I don't think his talent has ever been in question.

Oh, also thanks for treating the Oilers fans jumping in here well folks. We appreciate the civility.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Tkachuk in years 1/2 was frequently the 2nd smartest player on the team behind Gaudreau by an absolute landslide. This is mental boom

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Anyone who says Chucky isn’t talented is talking out their ass. He’s probably the most coveted player on this team. The problems with this team are Johnny and Mony and have been for years. They only show up when they feel like it. It’s obvious they have checked out and are waiting to get out of here.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

I kind of agree tbh. Don't get me wrong he's a damn good player and he clearly hasn't been the same guy since his concussion last season. But he isn't elite in any area aside from maybe tipping pucks?

I still like Tkachuk but he's been pretty bad this season despite his 60+ point pace. He's lacking some of the dynamic play that he showed in past years especially on the rush. He looks good when he gets the puck behind the net but even then it seems like he's always trying power moves to the net rather than using the vision that made him so effective down low in the past. I have no idea whats going on with him.

Same goes for Gaudreau IMO. He used to have amazing touch on his passes sneaking them through multiple opposing players. Nowadays it seems like if one player is in the way he can't get the pass through.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I only watch Flame games when they play the Oilers plus the nightly highlights and from what I've seen the more veteran and long term players seem like they've quit on the team and that is taking the fire out of the younger players. Lucic is also an absolute downer when the team is losing and it spreads thru the locker room, similar to when he was in Edmonton. The GM should just eat the loss and buy out Lucic this summer, trade Bennett and all the remaining UFA's (keep Ritchie) at the trade deadline. Build the team around Tkachuk, Lindholm, Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube, Hanafin, Taniv , Andersson and Markstrom. Trade Gio, Gaudreau and Monahan in hockey trades and not for picks and prospects. Get the high draft pick this year and do a slight retool to be competitive next year. The BOA is so much better when both teams are good.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I kind of agree tbh. Don't get me wrong he's a damn good player and he clearly hasn't been the same guy since his concussion last season. But he isn't elite in any area aside from maybe tipping pucks?

I still like Tkachuk but he's been pretty bad this season despite his 60+ point pace. He's lacking some of the dynamic play that he showed in past years especially on the rush. He looks good when he gets the puck behind the net but even then it seems like he's always trying power moves to the net rather than using the vision that made him so effective down low in the past. I have no idea whats going on with him.

Same goes for Gaudreau IMO. He used to have amazing touch on his passes sneaking them through multiple opposing players. Nowadays it seems like if one player is in the way he can't get the pass through.
Yeah, like maybe saying “he’s not even that talented” was a bit of misspeak. He’s talented, but really only in the areas I mentioned - in front and behind the net. I don’t know that he was ever a very dynamic or dangerous player off the rush (my memory is horrible), but he couldn’t have been worse than he is now.

The overarching issue is like you said, it seems like every key player is a shade of their former selves.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Anyone who says Chucky isn’t talented is talking out their ass. He’s probably the most coveted player on this team. The problems with this team are Johnny and Mony and have been for years. They only show up when they feel like it. It’s obvious they have checked out and are waiting to get out of here.
Because Tkachuk has the agitator in his game, and perceived high end skill of course he’d be coveted, that’s not a surprise. But saying the issue is 13 and 23 not showing up when 19 is also part of the group not showing up is what I would call talking out of your ass.

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
I only watch Flame games when they play the Oilers plus the nightly highlights and from what I've seen the more veteran and long term players seem like they've quit on the team and that is taking the fire out of the younger players. Lucic is also an absolute downer when the team is losing and it spreads thru the locker room, similar to when he was in Edmonton. The GM should just eat the loss and buy out Lucic this summer, trade Bennett and all the remaining UFA's (keep Ritchie) at the trade deadline. Build the team around Tkachuk, Lindholm, Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube, Hanafin, Taniv , Andersson and Markstrom. Trade Gio, Gaudreau and Monahan in hockey trades and not for picks and prospects. Get the high draft pick this year and do a slight retool to be competitive next year. The BOA is so much better when both teams are good.

Oddly enough to us Oilers fans, Lucic has not been remotely a problem. He is one of the most consistently engaged Flames and resembles the Lucic that we had the first year he was with the Oilers. I would take this version of him over any version of Neal we have had at this point.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Previous versions of Tkachuk would have made him an ideal Sutter player. He was a strong puck possession player who could put monster numbers on a shutdown line.

This year, he's a soft, ego-driven giveaway machine who tries to dangle his way out of trouble to make up for the fact the can't make a proper pass anymore. So naturally, his weaknesses (skating most notably) are on full display now

Reactions: Dack

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Lucic isn't even remotely the problem here. Lucic has seemingly found his passion for playing again, perhaps because both Ward and Sutter appear to believe in him. I think if every one of our players had the same attitude this year as Lucic, we would be in a playoff position.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lucic isn't even remotely the problem here. Lucic has seemingly found his passion for playing again, perhaps because both Ward and Sutter appear to believe in him. I think if every one of our players had the same attitude this year as Lucic, we would be in a playoff position.

Maybe he seems disengaged against the Oilers. I know a knock on him from before was that he lets up when he plays his former teams/teammates.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Maybe he seems disengaged against the Oilers. I know a knock on him from before was that he lets up when he plays his former teams/teammates.

It's probably surprising to hear and I have been one of Lucic's biggest detractors around here but it's kind of been a huge (but quiet) surprise how he has rounded out his game in the last month or so. I never, ever thought he had left in him what he is showing right now. If he was on an expiring contract he actually would be a pretty awesome deadline pick up for a contender.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
upload_2021-3-23_18-12-3.gif

Reactions: DFF and Mobiandi

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Oh, also thanks for treating the Oilers fans jumping in here well folks. We appreciate the civility.

Agreed. Nice civil conversation- a rarity these days! Just got run out of a Sabres board for making an observation about the team. Nothing trolling. Oh well.

Reactions: ujju2

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Oddly enough to us Oilers fans, Lucic has not been remotely a problem. He is one of the most consistently engaged Flames and resembles the Lucic that we had the first year he was with the Oilers. I would take this version of him over any version of Neal we have had at this point.

I’m happy to see him enjoying (or seeming to) hockey again.

I recall Bob Stauffer was talking one time to Matt Hendricks when he officially retired. After the interview Stauffer mentioned that had the Oilers had a team first guy like him the previous year (2018) “there might not have been a divide in the locker room between one LW who thinks he should play with McDavid and another LW who thinks he should be paid the other LW’s money.” Hmmmm?

I wonder sometimes if the Flames have similar tensions brewing in that locker room. I do believe that Tkachuks on ice antics and off ice pay (and that term on contract) has done a number on the dressing room. If BT asked other guys to take team friendly deals “to keep the band together” and then handed that one out...ya. I could see it not sitting well.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Jim Benning's redeeming quality is he fell ass backwards into loaded talent at the top of drafts. He is now screwing that over by signing Sutter/Myers/Roussel/Beagle/Ferland/Eriksson to restrictive deals.

Imagine the blowout of the Flames had a legit #1 centre and a #1 D and there were questions about where the money would come from to sign them because Treliving overloaded on old vets for term and money? Nowhere near comparable, especially when you consider not making an offer to Toffoli at all despite planning to, the guy he traded a solid prospect + for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad