It's over! Oilers Lose 4-3 in the SO

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers finish the season tied with LA for least 5-on-3 PP opportunities with 2. The Oilers also had the least amount of 5-on-3 PP time with 1:06. Next was Detroit at 1:27 (on four opportunities). The Panthers had the most with 19 opportunities and 14:00.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
RbhvP8S.gif

This gif is going to be a beauty to revisit when we win the draft lottery.

I'm going to nickname his dance move the salt shaker, because the tears will be extra salty April 30

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
You do realize this game meant nothing right? Everyone watching this gsme doesn't care. Relax dude, save some passion for next yeae

To be fair I was still cheering for the team to win and anxious/excited in the shootout. That said once it got past the 5th round I was less invested with the outcome. I would've liked to see Yak shoot too but honestly would've been surprised to see him shoot given that he's rarely used in shootouts.

I was fine with Korpikoski shooting as a reward too although I definitely thought he wasn't gonna score.

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
Another disappointing season gone. Maybe next season they will make another improvement and finish with 75 points.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Another disappointing season gone. Maybe next season they will make another improvement and finish with 75 points.

With a good enough shuffle of the bottom 6 and a couple new 6/7 D, I think 76 points shouldn't be out of the question.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
This gif is going to be a beauty to revisit when we win the draft lottery.

I'm going to nickname his dance move the salt shaker, because the tears will be extra salty April 30

Did you see Gary Bettman's face last year when we won the lottery? The face means that this year he'll do anything to prevent it from happening.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs fan here

I believe the future of this franchise is very bright, McDavid is going to be the best player in this, a bit of tweaking is going to do wonders for you guys

Management should start unloading some of the forwards for "D" and should draft a "D" with this year's pick

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Did you see Gary Bettman's face last year when we won the lottery? The face means that this year he'll do anything to prevent it from happening.

The lottery is taped though. I guess he could memorize all the combinations and trip and fall into the machine and scatter the balls if he sees the last one is going to give us the pick. And again when another Oilers combo comes up, and then again when it comes a 3rd time, and so on until he is no longer of this earth.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The Oilers finish the season tied with LA for least 5-on-3 PP opportunities with 2. The Oilers also had the least amount of 5-on-3 PP time with 1:06. Next was Detroit at 1:27 (on four opportunities). The Panthers had the most with 19 opportunities and 14:00.

Man how many times did we see an Oiler get blatantly hooked/slashed/tripped/cross-checked/held/interfered with/tackled when they had a powerplay? But how can you call another penalty when there's a player already in the box, that would be totally unfair.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Leafs fan here

I believe the future of this franchise is very bright, McDavid is going to be the best player in this, a bit of tweaking is going to do wonders for you guys

Management should start uploading some of the forwards for "D" and should draft a "D" with this year's pick

No arguments here. A good D is a solid foundation to build off of.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

and the first overall draft pick goes to....the edmonQuebec City expansion team to be named at a later date.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Bettman had a look of bewilderment on his face.

I'd be just as fine with #2. Heck even 4th or 5th I'm cool with taking Chychrun.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To be fair I was still cheering for the team to win and anxious/excited in the shootout. That said once it got past the 5th round I was less invested with the outcome. I would've liked to see Yak shoot too but honestly would've been surprised to see him shoot given that he's rarely used in shootouts.

I was fine with Korpikoski shooting as a reward too although I definitely thought he wasn't gonna score.

What was Korpi being rewarded for? Being McLellans pet?

Yak is the only reason this game got to a shootout setting up two of the goals and most importantly the tying goal on what was a great play by Yak.

His reward? Barely seeing the ice after that.

The shootout went 7 rounds and Yak not even considered. What was he being punished for tonight. I must've missed it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Leafs fan here

Management should start uploading some of the forwards for "D" and should draft a "D" with this year's pick

Completely agree.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Bettman had a look of complete bewilderment on his face.

I'd be just as fine with #2. Heck even 4th or 5th I'm cool with taking Chychrun.
I want Laine so bad:(

My gut is telling me we walk out of the draft with Chychrun though, which is also good I guess. I would personally rather trade the pick if it's outside the top 2

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Leafs fan here

Draft a D? Haven't you heard the Oilers are winning the draft lottery? It has been foretold in the curly red locks of the Katz boy.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
What was Korpi being rewarded for? Being McLellans pet?

Yak is the only reason this game got to a shootout setting up two of the goals and most importantly the tying goal on what was a great play by Yak.

His reward? Barely seeing the ice after that.

The shootout went 7 rounds and Yak not even considered. What was he being punished for tonight. I must've missed it.

You need to just...

giphy.gif

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Thought Leon and Yak had some chemistry ....wonder if we get to see that next yr

I hope so. If used properly Yak is far more valuable than anything he could return in a trade at this point. Hall/Drai/Yak could be a killer second line.

another lost season in the books...10th in a row
clean up this mess Chia

Eight years. Not ten. A season isn't lost just cuz you miss the playoffs. 2008-09 is when the gong show started for real.

Draft a D? Haven't you heard the Oilers are winning the draft lottery? It has been foretold in the curly red locks of the Katz boy.

I want to see that just cuz that means we beat out Toronto. Imagine the howls of indication from 'national' media about how the draft lottery should be changed, yet again.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I want Laine so bad:(

My gut is telling me we walk out of the draft with Chychrun though, which is also good I guess. I would personally rather trade the pick if it's outside the top 2

Yeah if it's #2 we take Laine. That shot? Omg. Otherwise move the pick for a top level D if the right deal happens. I'm cool with Chychrun at 4th or 5th if nothing materializes.

If we land on pick #3, package the pick plus RNH and go big game hunting for a D

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Management should start unloading some of the forwards for "D" and should draft a "D" with this year's pick

I'd always recommend taking the best player available with that highest pick but since they're in the unique position of being loaded at forward, they should really take the quantity approach to drafting Dmen and go almost all in on drafting dmen and goalies for the next couple drafts. A high drafted dman is more likely to bust but at the same time, you never know what round you can still get a good one around 8th or 12th or in the 2nd round nowadays.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Will be fitting if this was Yak's last game as an Oiler.

Plays well and helps the team only to be left sitting on the bench with the opportunities given to much less deserving players.

Korpse? C'mon...

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
It's going to be nice to take a break for a couple of weeks but then you start to miss watching the team no matter how bad they are lesigh

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
You do realize this game meant nothing right? Everyone watching this gsme doesn't care. Relax dude, save some passion for next yeae

I cared. Generally speaking, a player that has a good game, is rewarded by the coach, with an opportunity in the shoot out., in this case in not even what 8 rounds? Ridiculous. All the best to you Yak elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad