It's over! Oilers Lose 4-3 in the SO

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
This conspiracy/discrimination against Yak is getting awfully tired. Two consecutive NHL coaches didn't give him much ice time for a reason. I'm gonna take their side on this one.

Seriously, Maybe he's not better options than anyone else in the top 6? Maybe there's a reason he has always found himself on the 3rd line.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
With all due respect in a year in which the Edmonton Oilers were being competitive, and actually vying for a playoff spot, virtually any coach would not be granting shifts liberally to a rookie player in a shortened 48 game season where every game was monumentally important. In retrospect it makes sense Krueger would shorten his bench as most coaches do. Most coaches also seem to have their favorite players that they think are least likely to result in GA. Again with a rookie yak being an ill advised candidate to be putting out late in a game with a 1 goal lead. At the time it was frustrating and specially in instances of tie games or if we needed a goal but by the last segment Yak was getting that toi afairc.

Unfortunately the players Krueger replaced Yakupov with (usually Petrell or an 80-something year-old Smyth) nonetheless went out and gave up goals on a regular basis as well, so Krueger still came out of it looking like an idiot.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hall had no shootout attempts all season. He is also 4/17 (23.5%) in the shootout for his career. What did he do to deserve a shootout attempt last night?
Where does it say I thought Hall deserved to shoot? On the contrary my post says 'I don't care who shoots for the meaningless extra point in meaningless game'.
I just wanted boomercat to know that the CHED crew was echoing his thoughts, in case he didn't catch the post game show last night.
I sure hope next season some posters (not to generalize but most of them have new join dates) work on responding to what is actually written in other folk's posts instead of just fabricating stuff out of thin air and responding to that. That would make for a much more pleasant board experience. :nod:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Not every coach has had something against Nail. In fact Kreuger, Nelson, got the best out of Nail and Nail enjoyed very much playing for those coaches. Its not too much of a secret what Nail feels about Eakins.

But if you need to falsely generalize to suit your argument you should recognize holes in your argument.

As for Drai he's the outlier player in this lineup. A guy that offseason substantially improved his game. Which no other player in this lineup does. Sure, I could wish Yak does the same but no other team does and they still have their cushy lines insured all season.

Nuge just had a horrendous production year for a guy that has been slotted in topsix all season. Yet nothing ever happens there. No demotion, lol they actually move Drai, who has been better than Nuge and more deserving all year, to wing, sot that Special NUge can play Center.

if you think there isn't some differential treatment here and a few sacred cows I don't know what to tell you. Nuge is obviously inferior to McDavid or Drai and yet the team still wants to insure a top C position for him. just because. with that player, who finished with 34pts, theres no play your way into the topsix rotation expectation. Its guaranteed. When do you ever see Nuge anywhere else. His pts/60mins production is as bad as Yaks and his GA are worse.
Nuge is 49th for PPG among centres this season counting players that played at least half the season. That may disappoint you but it sure sounds like a top 6 centre to me.

People seriously need to understand that scoring is down in this league.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Nuge is 49th for PPG among centres this season counting players that played at least half the season. That may disappoint you but it sure sounds like a top 6 centre to me.

i like nuge. i like our depth. i like Eberle as well. if something "gives" to get a top D it will be nuge though

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Nuge had a ton of minutes. Gets more offensive zone starts than most centers, and plays with guys that can light the lamp.

Nuge this season was driving very little offense on his own.

This is the challenge I give Nuge fans. Try to remember the last goal he scored that was even hilite worthy or a great play or a great play he made on an assist. They're becoming few an far between. He had 34 pts. Playing all of his minutes in topsix. As a #1 pick.

Yeah, we should be getting better than that for someone paid 6M.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Nuge had a ton of minutes. Gets more offensive zone starts than most centers, and plays with guys that can light the lamp.

Nuge this season was driving very little offense on his own.

This is the challenge I give Nuge fans. Try to remember the last goal he scored that was even hilite worthy or a great play or a great play he made on an assist. They're becoming few an far between. He had 34 pts. Playing all of his minutes in topsix. As a #1 pick.

Yeah, we should be getting better than that for someone paid 6M.

I didn't say Nuge had a fantastic year or that he isn't a disappointment as a first overall.

But you said his production is horrendous for a top 6 player and I argue that it isn't.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't say Nuge had a fantastic year or that he isn't a disappointment as a first overall.

But you said his production is horrendous for a top 6 player and I argue that it isn't.
Wrong choice of word on my part and due to frustration with individual players and the season.

Thanks for clarifying.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Where does it say I thought Hall deserved to shoot? On the contrary my post says 'I don't care who shoots for the meaningless extra point in meaningless game'.
I just wanted boomercat to know that the CHED crew was echoing his thoughts, in case he didn't catch the post game show last night.
I sure hope next season some posters (not to generalize but most of them have new join dates) work on responding to what is actually written in other folk's posts instead of just fabricating stuff out of thin air and responding to that. That would make for a much more pleasant board experience. :nod:

harpoon said:
If McLellan is choosing that moment in the season to punish some guys, well it seems a little petty to me. Rewarding his favorites I can see. Punishing guys in the last second of the last game seems dumb to me
If you weren't talking about Hall being punished maybe you should be a little more specific. Maybe some posters can't read minds.

Keep pumping the air up your butt though. Hopefully you'll float up to space! It is International Space Flight Day after all. :nod:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If you weren't talking about Hall being punished maybe you should be a little more specific. Maybe some posters can't read minds.
I was talking about other people speculating that Hall was being punished by being left off the shootout. I wasn't saying that he deserved to shoot at all. In fact I posted repeatedly that I didn't care about the shootout in that meaningless game and that people were making a mountain out of a molehill. There was no mind reading required.
Keep pumping the air up your butt though. Hopefully you'll float up to space! It is International Space Flight Day after all. :nod:
Judging by your inability to follow the conversation I'd say you're high enough for the both of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad