Post-Game Talk: It was offside

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
A tough lesson learned tonight is just how aggressive and skilled the Avs D is on offense. Multiple times our guys were throwing pucks off the boards only for an Avs defenseman to pinch and attack. Makar goal was a great example. May have worked against a talentless CGY D core but not against the Avs D. Curious to see the adjustments for Game 2

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm apologizing for being rude. Not for my opinion. Again I'm sorry if my opinion is offensive, but to say that the fourth line was somehow a detriment tonight and should be changed, I would assume that you have an idea of those players in your head and they can't play their ways out of it.

Or maybe you just like fourth liners?

Bias goes in both directions. When mild, it’s sometime called a point of view.

I thought the 4th played pretty well, a few shifts in the 2nd in particular.

But I’m not against 11-7, especially if Drai goes back to center and Nurse continues to fake healthy.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Or maybe you just like fourth liners?

Bias goes in both directions. When mild, it’s sometime called a point of view.

I thought the 4th played pretty well, a few shifts in the 2nd in particular.

But I’m not against 11-7, especially if Drai goes back to center and Nurse continues to fake healthy.
Well I've had my say against previous fourth liners on this team. Tippett failed to put any of the numerous bottom 6 players into a position to succeed. When deployed correctly I feel they do play a big part in games' outcome.

I'm not one to shy away from admitting I'm wrong on players and opinions. But tonight is definitely not the night to be criticizing the fourth line. And for most of these playoffs I've felt the same.

saucesaitl

say cheese
May 5, 2018
what exactly is the point of this strange technicality with the offside? we all know what offside is supposed to prevent, so why have some weird loophole like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
League has become a farce and so are these so called hockey experts which includes a lot of former players. I'm a fan of the game but this league is repeatedly leaving a bad taste. Keep messing with your fanbases with F*** level officiating and watch your attendance and viewership plummet.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
This must have been mentioned somewhere in this thread . Kadri and his f**king ripping helmets off . He did that to Nurse in a regular season game and did it to Smith tonight. Was supportive of him with the St. Louis ordeal but honestly the guy is a dirt bag of a player.
I don’t think it’s too ridiculous to say that he should be suspended for it. I mean, he intentionally rips a goalie’s mask off

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
what exactly is the point of this strange technicality with the offside? we all know what offside is supposed to prevent, so why have some weird loophole like this?
Right, and hockey people digging out a handful of videos with a few previous examples trying to prove that the call was correct. We're talking 10s of 1000s of games played over decades of hockey. It usually not an issue because it's normally called offside but in an important playoff game, the league has to s*** the bed to bring attention to themselves. I guess they feel any attention is better than none at all.

Last edited:

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Started the game at 10pm my time due to life stuff. Should have just let it okay in the background starting at 5pm my time.

What a stinker. BUT, I’m saying if we win the game I’d be scared. We need to lose game 1 then we’ll pull it out like the 2 other series!

Holy shit the Avs fans are CLUELESS! Think they deserve a power play when their own guy blows a tire and falls by himself. They clearly don’t know the rules but I guess they are used to biased reffing over the years.

I’m sure the refs and linesman have been talked about, lol but clear missed icings and the most blatant missed call on an offside. Then the resulting penalty gets them a goal. Basically that’s the game.

AND, Simpson, whom I loved as an Oiler, needs to stop fellating MacKinnon and the team. Jesus - this is a Canadian broadcast. Don’t be so butthurt over the Oilers hurting you 30 whatever years ago.

I still believe - we have them right where we want them :)

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
This rule needs to be changed, this is similar to NFL reception or incomplete. If a player pushes a puck over the line with intention then that needs to be considered possession (control).
Exactly. If this is the new way of calling it, players will simple push the puck forward instead of carrying it across the line when a player is still in the zone. At least according to the May 31st rulebook. I’m sure they’ll change it starting tomorrow to benefit the Avs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly. If this is the new way of calling it, players will simple push the puck forward instead of carrying it across the line when a player is still in the zone. At least according to the May 31st rulebook. I’m sure they’ll change it starting tomorrow to benefit the Avs.
This isn't a new way of calling it. This has happened a number of times over the past few years.

Reactions: Three On Zero

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nurse has got decent speed but He processes the game so slow and gets caught which results in him always being a step behind. Seems like he reacts instead of having good gap control and awareness

Idk if it’s an injury or something but his play has been absolutely horrific.
You nailed it. Nurse has had trouble all playoffs anticipating the reverse cycle. Maybe he is relying on muscle memory to adjust that isn't there cuz of injury? Who knows

But he is being paid a sh** ton to adjust which he isn't doing

Dude is hurting the team and replacing him w/ Kulak helps tbh

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Watched the Makar goal again and noticed why the puck turned over so fast. Nurse, in an unneeded rush, tosses the puck knee high into Kane as his exit play. So bad. Kane has Makar jumping right on him as he has to try to figure out how to deflect this puck off his legs. Just garbage rushed play right after we score. No effort to try to manage the puck and calm things down after, just a little while before, getting scored on immediately after we scored.

OK, need to stop looking at the poopy Oilers plays for tonight. GN all! :)

Reactions: saucesaitl

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
What I have learned is that if a player lifts his stick to stickhandle, he no longer has possession of the puck.

Should be a lot more interference calls I think??

Stuff like this is why I do not materially support the league in any meaningful way. Between this and in general the league not protecting star players I feel a bit vindicated in keeping this stance.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nurse has got decent speed but He processes the game so slow and gets caught which results in him always being a step behind. Seems like he reacts instead of having good gap control and awareness

I mean they've basically said he might need off season surgery for a "core" injury. Which means he probably has a hernia or a partially torn oblique/abdominals. I think it's quite obvious it is affecting his ability to play both physically and in his skating ability. His pivots look really slow.

On the plus side, game related, the Oilers can score on this team and they can defend better than they showed tonight. Tighten it up on the defensive side and keep scoring. Neither of their goalies looks overly comfortable in there, but Francouz was the better of the two tonight and made a few big stops, but also looked pretty shaky on a few others that didn't quite go. I feel pretty confident we can score 4+ goals every game against this team, and likely have a few more 5-6 goal games up our sleeve so tighten up the D and goaltending and we'll be fine.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I still don't understand how the linesman all the way across at other end of the blue line seen the no procession over the Avs player still a foot in the zone. 99% of the time that blown down offside, as that wasn't close yet he could see that Makar wasn't touching the puck. An outrageous missed call at game speed, that they found a technicality to call it a goal afterward.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
I'd love for Holland at the GM conference, or some other team official, to bring up challenging offside calls. If it's ruled the player was mid stickhandle and the puck wasn't actually on his stick while the player was offside, everyone takes their former positions on the ice and play resumes at the whistle, let's have a 'do over'. Just to show how completely ridiculous this call was.

"Car"

Reactions: subnet

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

Nurse is typically a great skater with a huge engine and the ability to play a very physical game down low. That's the entire basis of his game and he possesses none of these qualities with the core injury he has right now (nor has he throughout the playoffs). He's still better than other options on the bottom pair, but the shutdown pairing ought to be Kulak-Ceci at the moment.

Reactions: saucesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
To have a team that good and a fanbase so non-existent should be a crime.

They get more than enough slobbering from pundits and ‘fans’ online to make up for it. Lots of it considering this is their first time making it to the WCF after years of being a “contender”

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
League has become a farce and so are these so called hockey experts which includes a lot of former players. I'm a fan of the game but this league is repeatedly leaving a bad taste. Keep messing with your fanbases with F*** level officiating and watch your attendance and viewership plummet.
You actually think viewership would plummet? I kept watching after the bs call and I bet so did you too.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Watched the Makar goal again and noticed why the puck turned over so fast. Nurse, in an unneeded rush, tosses the puck knee high into Kane as his exit play. So bad. Kane has Makar jumping right on him as he has to try to figure out how to deflect this puck off his legs. Just garbage rushed play right after we score. No effort to try to manage the puck and calm things down after, just a little while before, getting scored on immediately after we scored.

OK, need to stop looking at the poopy Oilers plays for tonight. GN all! :)
What’s got forgotten in the aftermath of that bizarre offside ruling was what led to that play in the first place. How the hell do you make such a bad play that results in a goal against 9 seconds after you win a face off at center ice? As much as I believe this team can win this series, I’m not sure they can overcome the play of the version we saw of Darnell Nurse tonight. Unfortunately we’ve seen that version a lot lately.

Reactions: TB12 and dsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad