The Oilers won this series.​

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

The boys are improving.​

Reminder:​

View attachment 554637

The Oilers won this series.​

There are some Avs “fans” calling for a sweep. (Not saying on HF, but have seen some comments elsewhere online.) Same thing Flames fans were doing after game 1 last series. Avs are better than the Flames but they have shown weakness tonight.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As I suspected the Avs are pretty bad at defending the cycle. Need better puck management in the D zone, too many throw away pucks to the Avs D in the neutral zone. Find a way to defend better and get cleaner breakouts and we should be able to control games better than we did tonight.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Can't believe Kass being critiqued. Was one of our better players on the forecheck, and hitting, and setup around 4 plays, had a breakaway, the line scored, and was dangerous and pressurring several times. They were a handful.
Yup. Criticize the player when his head isn’t in the game, he’s turning big loopy circles, and lolly-gagging back to the bench. That wasn’t Kass tonight. His turns were tight, and he had his legs moving. If anything I felt coach could have played him more than 8 minutes. Shame that breakaway didn’t go for him. I concur with others that feel like he should have just shot instead of going for the deke.

I agree. I just don’t like COPS commenting about minority members of the team. Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe there’s something.
Minority members? Seriously?
So if they commented on Archibald or Kulak you’d be OK with it? Yeesh.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Well, guess the offside rule got changed on the fly tonight, never seen shit like this. ****ing beerleague refs.
On to game 2..
I always thought to be offside the player had only had to in possession of the puck didn't matter if the puck was touching the blade or not, that was bizarre! Oh well Oilers can compete with these guys, just need some saves. Off to work I go

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Horrible game by Smith. He allowed 3 or 4 shots that he saw all the way?

He is at around 14.00 GAA over 60 so far this series. Tighten that up a smudge and the team has a chance.

Im wondering if maybe Koskinen is the better goalie for this series. Smith might not be able to handle the pace, especially the on the rush and cross crease play. He is slow.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
"If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation."

The possession part is the stinky part of the call. If you really want to argue he didn't have possession for the split second the guy was offside, how can you argue he wasn't attempting to gain possession of it instead?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The plays he's making are low IQ plays (per usual), not injury related unless he hurt his head

I'm being VERY optimistic here and at BEST he's a 7.25M d man. 2M overpayment is a decent amount, especially if he's not a calibre of talent like McDrai. Supporting cast guys like him should be taking pay cuts. That 2M overpayment could cost us from re-signing Kane
When you have an injury usually pain accompanies it. When you have pain, the brain is not functioning clearly. In addition he knows he’s not 100% so he hurries his plays to avoid getting caught.

The problem is that in hurrying he hasn’t explored all options and is putting the puck into danger spots or isn’t putting himself in the correct position to succeed. If he’s in that much discomfort, his continued play will only return more of the same poor decision making.

Time to sit him, it’s for the best overall.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I am rotted over that horrendous ruling, clearly offside, what a joke. Oilers played their c game and could have won...they can take the Avs

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
"If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation."

The possession part is the stinky part of the call. If you really want to argue he didn't have possession for the split second the guy was offside, how can you argue he wasn't attempting to gain possession of it instead?

I think the way they are calling it is he is allowed to possess the puck in the offensive zone per 83.3.

It seems like a weird loophole; you can't touch the puck, try to get the puck, or position so that it effects the positioning of the defending team... but alarmed you can control the puck in offensive zone while you wait for the puck to clear?

There is some precedent to calling it that way, but I don't really like that interpretation of the rule. I guess league is happy with it like that, supposedly because it eliminates subjectivity.

I don't think it does though... To me 83.3 clearly states that the players on the attacking team must be attempting to clear the zone; not the team as a whole, not the offside players that have to tag up, but all attacking players. I think Makar isn't trying to clear the zone at all, just attack, so it shouldn't even be called using 83.3 but 83.1 instead where it is clearly offside.

Whatever, let's be better than Flames fans. We didn't lose on the call, we beat ourselves. Need to be better.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
They played great. Best game by the 4th line this playoffs.

You don't have a clue.
I'm still underwhelmed with our 4th line.

I appreciated the hitting and the effort and they were better than usual, but ultimately they seem to get out shot more than I would like they don't handle being hemmed into the zone very well and the puck handling is subpar (Archie in particular).

I don't mind this line early in the series cause it kind of feels like the equivalent of punches to the body in boxing, it's that investment in a 7 game series to wearing down the opposition and I do think they can strongly contribute to that, but when it comes to capitalizing on that damage and making the push to win I think we can ice a better 4th line.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
As I suspected the Avs are pretty bad at defending the cycle. Need better puck management in the D zone, too many throw away pucks to the Avs D in the neutral zone. Find a way to defend better and get cleaner breakouts and we should be able to control games better than we did tonight.

Noticed that too, their dmen struggle to contain the cycle and few goals and chances were a result of that.

Also agree on managing the puck better. I got a bad feeling the moment I noticed they were going for the long stretch passes and predictably it resulted in turnovers. Oilers do not want to fuel zone entries with speed by being careless with the puck like that, this isn't the slow plodding Flames.

Reactions: McFlyingV

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
Tough loss on a tough call but I don't think they were winning that one anyway. Tighten it up a bit for game 2 and they will be fine.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
What’s got forgotten in the aftermath of that bizarre offside ruling was what led to that play in the first place. How the hell do you make such a bad play that results in a goal against 9 seconds after you win a face off at center ice? As much as I believe this team can win this series, I’m not sure they can overcome the play of the version we saw of Darnell Nurse tonight. Unfortunately we’ve seen that version a lot lately.

He is like the Nurse we saw in the 2017 playoff run but much worse. Back then I chalked it up to his age and relative inexperience but after all these years he still makes one braindead play after another.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The puck was never more than a couple of inches off the stick. If that is the new interpretation of the rule they have just made this an almost impossible rule to enforce.
I think that's what furiates me more is the fact any call that's offside from here on in can be made up however you feel about it. No consistency. Just wait when a goal is scored by the Oilers and they call it offside but there is NO EVIDENCE that he's offside. Just watch.

Reactions: TB12

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Smith has allowed at least 3 goals in the past 5 out 6 games. I can recall some pretty horrible goals in the Calgary series as well. We won't make it past Colorado if we continue to get that kind of goaltending.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't understand -- Friedman carrying mail too saying "video guys texted him"

Since when can you push the puck ahead to eliminate off side. How are you losing control when you are skating the puck into the zone? Bizarre logic that I'm wasting my time actually trying to understand.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Smith has allowed at least 3 goals in the past 5 out 6 games. I can recall some pretty horrible goals in the Calgary series as well. We won't make it past Colorado if we continue to get that kind of goaltending.
3 goals is fine. The lowest amount we’ve scored in the last 6 games is 4 LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad