Post-Game Talk: It was offside

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Such a WTF moment. Was wondering about what Nurse thought process on that play was. Looks like he's so injured he's scared to retrieve the puck and get hit. This is just hurting the team. If he can't play, he can't play. He's not surviving his injury well. Drai compensates with out of body reads and anticipation. If Nurse isn't 100% and physically dominant his game isn't there.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Drai can play a cerebral game on one leg (it mostly costs him with shot accuracy / power and maybe a bit defensively), but Nurse is mostly a toolsy player. He can't play injured, at all. It was a miracle that he was passable last series, but part of that is a testament for just how weak or slow most of the Flames forwards are.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I highly doubt there is any way that we are signing Kane. Add that to a 9.25 Nurse and a one year older Keith and I feel it puts more pressure on this year to succeed.
If we win the cup kieth retires, I don't think he needs that last million dollars paycheck or what ever his final year is worth in actual dollars

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I agree. I just don’t like COPS commenting about minority members of the team. Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe there’s something.
The comment was about his atrocious play in 21 minutes.

You're going on about 'commenting minority members of the team'?? Your changing the narrative to something it shouldn't be about.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Trying to figure out Keith's thought process is like trying to figure out why

It's all in the game. I think they come in to game ones as sort of a feeling out process. 'Play your game guys', then make adjustments based on the competition placed in front of them. I may be off base and feeling a little overconfident here, but I feel like we really learn from each loss and we'll take it to these guys as we've done previously. The Avs aren't as formidable as they're made out to be. They have some major weaknesses. And as good as their D is offensively, they're probably equally as bad defensively. Let's not even go into the fact that this is the weakest goalie we've seen yet. We'll see what Smith can muster here, but he's a game changer. If he comes out in game 2 like he has after previous losses in these playoffs, I think we have a pretty good shot at taking these guys. I really like what Kosky brought in the 30 or so minutes he played tonight, but his playing the puck choices resulted in almost complete net negatives. I'm not sure I'm ready to write off Smith yet. The guy is a prick, but he f***ing battles hard, and the guys notice that. When he brings it like I'm confident he will, the boys will show him their worth.
They can't feel their way in though, they have a game plan and failed to execute as per usual in game 1. The game was there, and while it's clear Colorado is a cut above the other two they looked like a beatable team, with the game there for them. I was encouraged by Koskinen for once but I doubt he's in and do not have the faith in either goalie at this point. Feast or famine with either and you just can't have that -- you need consistency in effort and performance and both goalies leave alot to be desired depending on the day.

Let's hope they get it together, because Colorado looked mortal there and not insurmountable world beaters -- it was a huge missed opportunity.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I think delayed offside is a different situation that is controlled by the linesman after they identify a player needs to clear the zone before the attacking team is allowed to gain or attempt possession. We never get there on this play, the linesman was caught out of position and didn't see enough to think it was offside. Unlucky, because from the view across the ice, if he was on the line, he would have called it dead. But the puck changed over too quick, the lineman was behind the line looking through players as it crossed.

Because the linesman totally missed it though, it does come down to actual physical contact with the puck/stick. It's a lucky play in the end. The puck bounces off his stick just before it goes over the line. Don't blame Woody for challenging, but it's still technically onside once you get the benefit of zooming in and analyzing the contact between puck/stick. It's a really rare play, because usually offsides has the offside guy moving forward too, so the next touch would be obviously offside. But the touch up changes the dynamic.

There was one involving Toews a few years back that was similar that shocked the hockey world being called a good goal. But was the same, the player didn't touch the puck in the zone until after the touch up.

Guess can just consider it a cancel out of good fortune after Coleman ruined a good goal against us with his kick. Along with the luck that the NHL correctly determined his intent, which is still a bit of a shocker, but 100% was the right call.

Reactions: fresh meat

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed, but they really need two players to be better (Smith and Nurse). Winnable game outside of that
I keep saying we should unpack Nemo or go back to giving Russel some spot duty. Nurse is getting his doors blown off in this series, Bouchard too, and both were leaking pretty bad even when last checked. Now we're up against the speedy AV's . Kulak picked a bad time to have a shit game as well. On a couple shifts he was a turnover machine in own end.

AV's never seem to like getting hit very much. Thus why Kass and Archie had something going tonight. Somebody like Nemo could be huge clocking AV's as they try to enter zone. I mean I prefer him at least lining somebody up to Bouchard chasing rainbows out there. (Bouch is good offensively, but man his D game needs miles of work)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

You're going on about 'commenting minority members of the team'?? Your changing the narrative to something it shouldn't be about.
Probably. But the cops have a rep unfortunately that brought my mind there.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I thought our 3rd and 4th lines were excellent tonight. No give up from them when it looked like the game was out of reach and even better, were very physical. Colorado may have won the game but they paid the price for it. That’s how you wear a team down in a best of seven series.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Series is going to come down to whether the Oilers can contain the Avs top line+Makar. Makar was so dangerous all night. But this is the same story as last series. If you can put up 6 goals against the Avs, you can win the series. That has to be the mindset going into game 2. And I really think it's true, they looked very beatable defensively tonight.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I keep saying we should unpack Nemo or go back to giving Russel some spot duty. Nurse is getting his doors blown off in this series, Bouchard too, and both were leaking pretty bad even when last checked. Now we're up against the speedy AV's . Kulak picked a bad time to have a shit game as well. On a couple shifts he was a turnover machine in own end.

AV's never seem to like getting hit very much. Thus why Kass and Archie had something going tonight. Somebody like Nemo could be huge clocking AV's as they try to enter zone. I mean I prefer him at least lining somebody up to Bouchard chasing rainbows out there. (Bouch is good offensively, but man his D game needs miles of work)

I wouldn't mind Nemo. Even Russell or Broberg...somebody to help knock Nurse down to basically 3rd pairing minutes and have him getting as many ozone starts as possible at the moment.

Holloway can go in for someone with limited minutes as well. They could use a Hyman lite on another line (Foegele was fine as well).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He played like shit and the call out was warranted.

Not because he's a minority member of the team.. :facepalm:
He did play like shit. Call outs were warranted. Didnt realize Cops used their official account for stuff like that. But maybe it’s normal. And I’m just paranoid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately this team is still figuring it out. Personally I thought they were a year or two from being a prospective Final Four team but here they are. They have shown down the stretch and into playoff the resiliency to come back after poor losses. In playoffs that is done with both talent, will and character, and also good fortune.

Colorado is an elite team that's been trying to break through for a few years now. Hard lessons learned is usually part of the process to break through to the other side of winning deep in playoffs. The Oiler slip on the banana peel still once in a while. But they seem to be learning and reset to be better in their own end. Whether they can do that against a stack Avalanche team remains to be seen. However Colorado's goaltending and d look fallible. But Oil need to improve their mental game breakdowns like giving back quick goals after scoring and late period goals and starting periods like happened tonight. Despite a lot of self induced errors they still found the way back into a game they were thoroughly outplayed in much of. Playing with fire against an elite opponent. Let's see what game 2 brings.
Just being honest I thought Koskinen was stoning the AV's in 3rd period otherwise we give up 10 goals. Wasn't like the Oilers ever figured out the own zone. The Oilers were pretty good offensively at moments, but own zone disaster all the way through.

I think we seriously have to consider giving Koskinen the game 2 start. He was miles better than Smith is looking the last 3 games. Mike Smith has hit that wall again folks. Give him a rest, and if Koski somehow stands on his head and steals a game then he gets game 3 as well.

Really thought the goalie pull should have been far earlier. Had concerns about Smith after first period and stated them.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
He did play like shit. Call outs were warranted. Didnt realize Cops used their official account for stuff like that. But maybe it’s normal. And I’m just paranoid.

It's probably just that literally everyone in the City is watching the playoffs at this point, the bandwagon is beyond full now, and it already was by the last series. I wouldn't be shocked to see more tweets from other sources you wouldn't expect to hear much from.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I know the line scored but how do we continue to play the 4th line. They get caved every god damn shift and the stats show it…

I honestly think 11-7 is the only way we do this. Give other players a shift with Kass and Ryan or something. Archie can get blasted into the sun.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's probably just that literally everyone in the City is watching the playoffs at this point, the bandwagon is beyond full now, and it already was by the last series. I wouldn't be shocked to see more tweets from other sources you wouldn't expect to hear much from.
I guess. I’ll take it as that.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Just being honest I thought Koskinen was stoning the AV's in 3rd period otherwise we give up 10 goals. Wasn't like the Oilers ever figured out the own zone. The Oilers were pretty good offensively at moments, but own zone disaster all the way through.

I think we seriously have to consider giving Koskinen the game 2 start. He was miles better than Smith is looking the last 3 games. Mike Smith has hit that wall again folks. Give him a rest, and if Koski somehow stands on his head and steals a game then he gets game 3 as well.

Really thought the goalie pull should have been far earlier. Had concerns about Smith after first period and stated them.

Yeah, I agree. Smith looked shaky since game 4 last series (the 132 ft goal probably didn't help). Oilers will miss his puck movement but it doesn't matter if he is leaking otherwise. Koskinen can be in if they have to play Francouz as well

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Oh did anyone nail down where Kuemper got hurt? I can’t find any sort of footage.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The call is atrocious. There is nobody around the puck but the guy controlling it.

The NHL is gambling on these games is the only explanation.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Can't believe Kass being critiqued. Was one of our better players on the forecheck, and hitting, and setup around 4 plays, had a breakaway, the line scored, and was dangerous and pressurring several times. They were a handful.

Not sure what to make of the game. Neither team played well, AV's were obviously very nervous to start. I thought we missed some chances to really take the game to them and then the ludicrous offside non call. So we get jobbed on the goal and the resultant PP goal for challenging a bad call on the ice. Absolute crap call, the double whammy of course with NHL rules now is the team that gets jobbed gets jobbed twice. You can't get those calls wrong, and yet they did.

Is the NHL going to manage the series result like this? This was the difference in game 1.

Nurse was f***ing awful. I'm generally a big fan of his. Can't even count all the mistakes tonight, fortunately only a few of them cost us. At this point we would be happy with injured Nurse even being adequate and playing within his means.

Such a WTF moment. Was wondering about what Nurse thought process on that play was. Looks like he's so injured he's scared to retrieve the puck and get hit. This is just hurting the team. If he can't play, he can't play. He's not surviving his injury well. Drai compensates with out of body reads and anticipation. If Nurse isn't 100% and physically dominant his game isn't there.

If I had likes to give they'd be here. I actually questioned why Nurse left that puck in an Oilers chat with friend I have and I think the response was. 'He's a f***ing idiot'. That said, I'm willing to see if he's got more to give in game 2 before completely writing him off.

Yeah, let's not make this what it isn't.

They can't feel their way in though, they have a game plan and failed to execute as per usual in game 1. The game was there, and while it's clear Colorado is a cut above the other two they looked like a beatable team, with the game there for them. I was encouraged by Koskinen for once but I doubt he's in and do not have the faith in either goalie at this point. Feast or famine with either and you just can't have that -- you need consistency in effort and performance and both goalies leave alot to be desired depending on the day.

Let's hope they get it together, because Colorado looked mortal there and not insurmountable world beaters -- it was a huge missed opportunity.

Yeah you're right, it's a poor strategy to come into every series hoping for a learning experience and spotting the opposition game 1. What I was trying to get across though was, we have a coach here who actually can see what's faulty and make legitimate adjustments to them allowing us to capitalize on the deficiencies. I'm nervous, but hopeful for game 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad