Post-Game Talk: It was offside

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Koskinen looked good, I wonder if there is a chance he gets the start tomorrow? My guess is no but that's 2 good games in a row he has played vs the Avs

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
considering the gift the Oilers got with the Coleman goal being called back last series, you shouldn't be bitching too much about some bad luck with the refs this game. Win some, lose some.

Maybe instead the Oilers should just play better. Give up 7 or 8 goals, you deserve to lose.
Ok, it's both an atrocious call and not the reason the team lost. We're all aware of this, but it's still an absolutely atrocious call.

Koskinen looked good, I wonder if there is a chance he gets the start tomorrow? My guess is no but that's 2 good games in a row he has played vs the Avs
I think Smith will still start, but I think that leash is short given Koskinen's performance.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It was a delayed offside. All there is to it. Stop complaining and move on. Can’t make fun of flames fans if you can’t get past this call.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
It was a delayed offside. All there is to it. Stop complaining and move on. Can’t make fun of flames fans if you can’t get past this call.
How about not telling people what they can and can't do? I am not in here belly aching even though I have my opinions, but it grinds me when people start trying to moderate what others can and can't debate. You have been around long enough to know this, fellow OG'er.

Reactions: TB12

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
"If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation."

The possession part is the stinky part of the call. If you really want to argue he didn't have possession for the split second the guy was offside, how can you argue he wasn't attempting to gain possession of it instead?
it was refpuck for sure. altered the outcome of the game, but overall the Oilers did well and showed that they can out gun the Avs in a fair fight. If smith can settle in or if Kosko is ready to go on a heater, the Oilers will win this in 5-6 games.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
How about not telling people what they can and can't do? I am not in here belly aching even though I have my opinions, but it grinds me when people start trying to moderate what others can and can't debate. You have been around long enough to know this, fellow OG'er.
You’re… defending people just sitting here griping on the internet, being complete hypocrites and ignorant of the rules? Weird post dude.

Any person who mocked the flames fans for being upset about the Coleman goal have zero right to complain about this. This was much less controversial, once you have it explained.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Seems like it was a bs call to me. Feels like the NHL just has their own interpretation to the rules. I feel if it wasn’t a turnover at the blueline and the linesman watched the play develop, that gets called offside nearly 100% of the time.

Whether it technically right or not, its not good for the NHL to have rules that no one understands or people are getting caught up on the wording. Similar to the Calgary no goal. Sometimes its goes against you and sometimes it goes for you but its not a good look for the league. NHL always getting in its own way.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You’re… defending people just sitting here griping on the internet, being complete hypocrites and ignorant of the rules? Weird post dude.

Any person who mocked the flames fans for being upset about the Coleman goal have zero right to complain about this. This was much less controversial, once you have it explained.

This is nonsense. The Coleman could have gone either way, last night the refs just invented a new interpretation out of whole cloth. The "explanation" given doesn't make a lick of sense.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs fan here,

I have no clue how that was not offside. Makes zero sense. Tim Peel, Darren Dreger and all the other goofs who want to say Makar delayed his possession of the puck until the other Av tagged up are completely wrong IMO. Horrendous call.

You guys obviously have to be better all around, but it sucks to have the game come down to a single f***ed call like that. Especially when the Avs took a 2 goal lead on the ensuing PP that followed the failed challenge. I won't lie to you guys and say I am cheering for you guys, but that is complete horseshit and you guys have every right to be pissed off. Unacceptable from the league IMO.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilers 322

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The puck was never more than a couple of inches off the stick. If that is the new interpretation of the rule they have just made this an almost impossible rule to enforce.
Indeed its depressing how the officials talked themselves into this call. They were so swayed by some odd interpretation that superceded what puck control is in hockey. This isn't lacrosse, the ball isn't contained in a net. STicks and pucks are not magnetic. Puck control has meant in control of the object (not necessarily touching the object) since hockey was first described. Suddenly they change this interpretation. Like I said in GDT stickhandling is puck control. Most of the time in such a sequence puck is not in contact with stick yet its control. When a basketball is dribbling a ball he's in control. Makar had clear control of the puck there. Control has never meant blade has to be in continual contact with puck.

The reality is last night that the NHL made another call that is unjustifiable. Worse it sets a precedent of who the f*** knows what offside is now and just then allows the league more poetic licence to make any kind of call in such circumstance. It renders the challenge into worse than coin toss. This has been stated but a challenge should incur different set of eyes. The officials on the ice got it wrong. Should go to a next level for quick review.

It would almost be easier to see this as being consciously jobbed by the NHL. by corruption. But the worse reality is this is the reflected intelligence of the NHL officials in charge of calling games at the very highest level. So that abject stupidity is arguably harder to reconcile than corruption.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
considering the gift the Oilers got with the Coleman goal being called back last series, you shouldn't be bitching too much about some bad luck with the refs this game. Win some, lose some.

Maybe instead the Oilers should just play better. Give up 7 or 8 goals, you deserve to lose.
Lmao, not even remotely the same thing.

Reactions: TB12

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Even though they did this the past two series, I don't necessarily think its the recipe for success.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Indeed its depressing how the officials talked themselves into this call. They were so swayed by some odd interpretation that superceded what puck control is in hockey. This isn't lacrosse, the ball isn't contained in a net. STicks and pucks are not magnetic. Puck control has meant in control of the object (not necessarily touching the object) since hockey was first described. Suddenly they change this interpretation. Like I said in GDT stickhandling is puck control. Most of the time in such a sequence puck is not in contact with stick yet its control. When a basketball is dribbling a ball he's in control. Makar had clear control of the puck there. Control has never meant blade has to be in continual contact with puck.
It was a contrived call for whatever reason - afraid of backlash from the home crowd?
Or was there a Tim Peel mental memo given to get the Coleman call back on the OIlers?

Its as ludicrous now as the Ducks goalie interference call a few years ago.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Call whatever the Oilers didn't deserve that game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.. they've definitely earned it.

This honestly was freakishly similar to game 1 vs the Flames.
1. team was pretty slow.
2. Smith - if it wasn't him.. it was going in.
3. Nurse - poor decisions
4. Jesse - game is just to fast for his brain and his feet. that backcheck was f***ing awful.. like trying to watch a newborn deer skate. Sorry I'm not a fan of this guy. I don't have patience for idiots on ice. And he's about as dumb as Yakupov.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I sense it will come down to Skinner vs Colorado's 3rd string goalie for the series win :laugh:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Gotta be tough mentally to play against us when you know that even a 4 goal lead is never safe.

Love the confidence this team has in its ability to score.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ok, it's both an atrocious call and not the reason the team lost. We're all aware of this, but it's still an absolutely atrocious call.

I think Smith will still start, but I think that leash is short given Koskinen's performance.
Smith was pulled at 6 goals. Not the only time. The leash is never tight with him and its high time for the coach to finally say no to his will to start games. At this moment he's clearly the 2nd or worse best option in net. He did his time, got us through a string. Its clear to me that Smith has hit a wall, and that it doesn't always look good once that occurs. This is not like playing one bad game to start the Flames series. Smith was poor in games 4, 5 against Calgary and I tend to support Smith all day usually.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Smith was pulled at 6 goals. Not the only time. The leash is never tight with him and its high time for the coach to finally say no to his will to start games. At this moment he's clearly the 2nd or worse best option in net. He did his time, got us through a string. Its clear to me that Smith has hit a wall, and that it doesn't always look good once that occurs. This is not like playing one bad game to start the Flames series. Smith was poor in games 4, 5 against Calgary and I tend to support Smith all day usually.
The leash is long cause the teams trust is so low in Koskinen that Koskinen has already apparently signed in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad