It ain't over til it's over

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
The canucks have a disturbing stat of trying to win each period. They have won 1 period, lost 4 periods and tied 4. If youre an optimist then atleast theyve been tied or better for 5/9...

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I admit the fact I haven't been a Canucks fan for a long time, mainly follow my brother. But he landed on a good team and a talented team 2.5 years ago. Their 2011 cup run was a great thing to witness. Against the sharks this series however, the team has played the most undisciplined hockey I've ever seen. Offensive zone penalties, retaliatory ones etc. it's just an ugly way to play and you aren't going to win that way. Especially in playoffs.
That being said, this series easily could be 2-1 sharks with the lead lr 2-1 Canucks with the lead. Last game was a nightmare. You move on and adjust. All in all they haven't played all that bad. I'm not saying they're going to win the cup but I'd start Luongo next game and win one game at a time. Chicago came within one shot of winning 4 straight vs us in 2011. See no reason why a team with this much talent couldn't do the same.

I have been drinking all day so maybe this is just all BS but hey the sharks haven't won the series yet. I still have a little faith. Win a shift. Win a period. Win a game. Win one game. Then two. Then get momentum. And see what happens.

K

The fourth game is the hardest to win. I don't think the 3-0 lead is reflective of the series. The Sharks haven't dominated until the nightmare that was game 3, and the problems are ones that the Canucks can correct. Agreed 100% with the bolded, the Canucks need to play a disciplined game.

I agree, I also think there is enough talent in that room to string together a winning streak, we just need to see the execution. Come out hard, play smart, win game 4, and start to take back momentum like Chicago did to us. By the time game 6 rolled around in that series, the Canucks were completely on their heels and the Blackhawks had all the momentum.

Also, yes, start Luongo, you have to go with the goalie that has played better this series.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
If the Canucks lie down and get swept they do not have to face a hometown crowd again.

Canucks may be great people but they suck as a team. There are real serious managerial issues. It's damn serious that Gillis let the team play with two centers. It's a serious allegation when someone says Gillis doesn't have the jam to do his job (It was me talking about Malhotra) and can show proof. It's just amazing that Luongo cannot be moved in an eight month off-season, then can't be shed at the deadline! That's astonishing!

It is my contention that the team was becoming a playoff team before the Canucks management screwed it up (again)! When the team lost Volpatti, it lost a lot of its heart. Volpatti was leading by example and was energizing the line-up. Kassian on the Sedin line is another example. Why didn't he just play there all season and grow into it? He'd own that slot, by now and the team would be better.

I do not believe the players can overcome obtuse coaching, clownish management and the SJ Sharks featuring a red hot Niemi, tomorrow.

King of the ES*

I have been drinking all day so maybe this is just all BS but hey the sharks haven't won the series yet. I still have a little faith. Win a shift. Win a period. Win a game. Win one game. Then two. Then get momentum. And see what happens.

I actually hope they just end it tonight.

The problem with stringing off a couple of victories is that it'll give Gillis a false sense of hope. We'll then hear about how close the series was, ad nauseum, and we'll hear about how much this team was missing guys like Booth & Tanev. It's akin to a team like the Flames rallying at season's end in 2011 & 2012, finishing in 9th, getting a weaker draft position, and going forward with a phony level of excitement.

A sweep is a pretty emphatic statement, and it's one that I hope the Sharks complete tonight - for the benefit of the Canucks, in fact.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA

The problem with stringing off a couple of victories is that it'll give Gillis a false sense of hope. We'll then hear about how close the series was, ad nauseum, and we'll hear about how much this team was missing guys like Booth & Tanev. It's akin to a team like the Flames rallying at season's end in 2011 & 2012, finishing in 9th, getting a weaker draft position, and going forward with a phony level of excitement.

A sweep is a pretty emphatic statement, and it's one that I hope the Sharks complete tonight - for the benefit of the Canucks, in fact.

honestly i dont think it matters at this point, i wouldnt be surprised if gillis has made alot of key decisions already that wont change even if the series miraculously gets stretched to 6 games

nothing is saving vigneault, nothing is keeping luongo and buyouts / salary dumps, and if gillis does what he should do (ie be bold unlike his current coach) then no options will be off the table

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I agree either go all the way to get swept.

But I have a good feeling today we are gonna win and go all the way to the WCF against Chicago.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007

I get what you're saying, but I say screw this sentiment.

It's been 43 fricken years in the league and I don't wanna see another season go by without a Cup. Yes, we're down 3-0 but if you're gonna go down, go down fricken swinging. Who knows, somewhere along the way they may score a knockout punch...Niemi or Couture or Thornton/Marleau gets injured etc.

Eff the Sharks. Like Higgs brother said, win a game and gain some momentum.

It's still all about getting the split in SJ and bringing it back to our barn.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC

I want AV gone as much as the next guy. But if this team comes back from 3-0, with the confidence that would instill, we're absolutely back in business. Fan in me is still rooting for that.

Cheering for a sweep is like moaning about Corrado's ELC. Cheer for your team or go play EHM.

King of the ES*

It's been 43 fricken years in the league and I don't wanna see another season go by without a Cup. Yes, we're down 3-0 but if you're gonna go down, go down fricken swinging. Who knows, somewhere along the way they may score a knockout punch...Niemi or Couture or Thornton/Marleau gets injured etc.

A CUP?!?

Come on, you can't be serious. Even if hell freezes over and this team wins 4 in a row to advance, that only gets us to the second round and a likely date against the Ducks, who are a much better team than the Sharks. A Stanley Cup is totally out of the question.

King of the ES*

I want AV gone as much as the next guy. But if this team comes back from 3-0, with the confidence that would instill, we're absolutely back in business. Fan in me is still rooting for that.

Cheering for a sweep is like moaning about Corrado's ELC. Cheer for your team or go play EHM.

It's not about AV. He's not the problem. It'll be a good experience for a guy like Gillis, who's as arrogant as they come. This team very clearly needs significant changes, and a sweep - playing in 9 playoff games over 2 seasons - will leave this fact as undeniable to even our GM.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
A CUP?!?

Come on, you can't be serious. Even if hell freezes over and this team wins 4 in a row to advance, that only gets us to the second round and a likely date against the Ducks, who are a much better team than the Sharks. A Stanley Cup is totally out of the question.

Listen, I'm not completely stupid. I get what you're saying. I think all dreams will die in Chicago this year for everyone else in the Western Conference..

But I ain't giving up yet. I still say eff the Sharks. Gain some momentum and confidence and let the chips fall.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
It will take four straight wins for the Canucks to win the series.

If Van players actually elevate their play, they should be able to play at a level where they win 55% of the time.

.55 x .55 x .55 x .55 = 9% change of winning the next four games in a row.

If they can elevate to play at a level where they win 60% of the time:

.6 x .6 x .6 x .6 = 13%

Obviously it's going to take a bit of luck to come back, the bounces, some great goaltending, and above all some goal scoring, but it can be done. The only reason the stat is so low is that usually teams that get down 3-0 in a series are terrible teams. The Canucks are not a terrible team despite their play of late, they just are playing terrible right now and are getting absolutely zero bounces. Hopefully that changes, and quick!

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
we've gotta stop shooting at under 5% in playoff games sooner or later right?!

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Win game one: Momentum builds for game two.

Win game two: All of a sudden the Sharks are only up by one game 3-2, all eyes in the hockey world are on them as they are already labelled ultimate chokers, and a comeback would just put it over the top.

Win game three: Series is tied, heading into game 7 the Sharks have the weight of the world on them, Van has all the momentum.

Win game four: At home, three straight wins and this team is playing with more confidence and swagger. The sharks are playing out of desperation and fear.

Comeback complete :)

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I heard the same crap last year about all we need is one game.

This team is done.

However I wouldnt be surprised if they won tonight and started giving people hope.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I heard the same crap last year about all we need is one game.

This team is done.

However I wouldnt be surprised if they won tonight and started giving people hope.

If Hank came out and spewed the same **** you're saying, how would you feel about that. "Common guys, we lost against the Kings last year when we were down three, no reason to even come out tonight." You would probably come on here and post how little character and pride that shows, and question his integrity as a player. Show some pride in your team man, there are 16 teams in the playoffs and only one can win. Even if you think they will lose, which is completely fair, you don't say that ****.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
It will take four straight wins for the Canucks to win the series.

If Van players actually elevate their play, they should be able to play at a level where they win 55% of the time.

.55 x .55 x .55 x .55 = 9% change of winning the next four games in a row.

If they can elevate to play at a level where they win 60% of the time:

.6 x .6 x .6 x .6 = 13%

Obviously it's going to take a bit of luck to come back, the bounces, some great goaltending, and above all some goal scoring, but it can be done. The only reason the stat is so low is that usually teams that get down 3-0 in a series are terrible teams. The Canucks are not a terrible team despite their play of late, they just are playing terrible right now and are getting absolutely zero bounces. Hopefully that changes, and quick!

Going by the numbers....the odds gets lower the more you win. SJ will be elevating their level too. Also given the history of AV being able to adjust....you can times those numbers by 0. :(

But yes...luck is +1% after that...so maybe 1% chance...just maybe...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

but seriously,
tumblr_lyd8kgAjMn1qma1obo1_250.gif

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Hank came out and spewed the same **** you're saying, how would you feel about that. "Common guys, we lost against the Kings last year when we were down three, no reason to even come out tonight." You would probably come on here and post how little character and pride that shows, and question his integrity as a player. Show some pride in your team man, there are 16 teams in the playoffs and only one can win. Even if you think they will lose, which is completely fair, you don't say that ****.

He doesn't need to say it, they have shown it in their play.

I'd also rather have someone like Torts who just says how he feels then this drivel we hear night in night out.

No wonder we are down 3-0. Their interviews even put people to sleep let alone their play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad