Staples Twitter: Isles Sign Sbisa

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't think this affects Toews as much as Mayfield and Aho. Right now I still see Toews as third pair LD.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Mayyybe just maybe LL and Trotz think it's better for Toews to get 20+ minutes a night and top PP time in BP after missing most of last season instead of getting 15 mins a night in the NHL.

If it has to do with physical conditioning, I can see that. But thinking Toews needs AHL seasoning is bath salts.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I wonder if Boychuk’s health has anything to do with this. His knees may be at the point where he needs to sit out 1/3 of the time or something like that.
LL did say earlier that they wanted to get another RD. could be that Boychuk (and Ladd) are held together with duct tape...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
According to Staples, he says this pretty much guarantees icing 8 defensemen this year.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Every move is met with chicken little outrage. Its ridiculous. Trotz knows what he's doing. Lou knows what he's doing. Chill out people. Our top 6 is excellent (Beauvillier looks great, 30 goals for sure). We have a banging 4th line, and a 3rd line that may be excellent defensively. Pulock is poised for a breakout season. Toews will make the team. We have a legendary goalie coach who should help our goalies get back to where they were when they had their best seasons. NOBODY is giving this team a chance. I think this team will be better than last year's. May not make the playoffs, but I can see them cutting the goals against by 50-75 goals due to having Trotz as a coach and Korn as a goalie coach.

Step away from the ledge ladies and gents, if anyone starts to tank, Lou will get rid of them. Hell, I even notice actual better defensive play, and actual effort out of Brock Nelson ! :eek:. It's gonna be a more enjoyable squad to watch than last year.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If we get better than a 5th round pick for Sbisa, I'll be very surprised. Pleasantly surprised - but surprised nonetheless.

Kind of how I look at it. Fans hate Sbisa but around the league he’s known as a serviceable veteran Defensman.

Had a decent year last year.

I’m guess this means Seidenberg is finished with the islanders? Hope he decides to retire and stay with the team though

I think he can return a 3rd, Brandon Davidson did. McQuaid returned a 4th.

Sometimes a team just needs an NHL body at the deadline like we did with Tyler Kennedy.

This season is whatever, just play. If Toews is going to play 25 minutes in the A then let him to start. Then bring him up when we move guys. Or if it's press box a bit.. What does it matter now to Ryan Pulock? Pulock sat for Seidenberg last year and what does that mean today?

Reactions: SI90

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
According to Staples, he says this pretty much guarantees icing 8 defensemen this year.

Looks like our roster is solidified then.

Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Filppula-Kovar-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kuhnhackl
*Ladd (IR?)

Leddy-Boychuk
Sbisa-Pulock
Hickey-Pelech
Aho/Mayfield

Lehner
Griess

The only thing possibly problematic is what happens when Ladd comes back. Who’s the odd man out then? Someone will have to get waived or sent down. To me though, icing this team means Ladd will be out long term. Also worth mentioning that Ross Johnston is on a one way contract. He’ll most likely start the year in Bridgeport but we could very possibly have 25 guys vying for 23 spots at some point this season.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Looks like our roster is solidified then.

Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Filppula-Kovar-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kuhnhackl
*Ladd (IR?)

Leddy-Boychuk
Sbisa-Pulock
Hickey-Pelech
Aho/Mayfield

Lehner
Griess

The only thing possibly problematic is what happens when Ladd comes back. Who’s the odd man out then? Someone will have to get waived or sent down. To me though, icing this team means Ladd will be out long term. Also worth mentioning that Ross Johnston is on a one way contract. He’ll most likely start the year in Bridgeport but we could very possibly have 25 guys vying for 23 spots at some point this season.

When Ladd does come back, he would not be replacing a regular scratched player like Kuhnhakl, so I doubt he'll be sent down. It's gotta be a roster player.

OR

There is a trade imminent. Maybe after 10 games, when we know what we have.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
We have a legendary goalie coach who should help our goalies get back to where they were when they had their best seasons. NOBODY is giving this team a chance.

Mitch Korn isn't Mary Poppins. Our goalies suck. Biggest weakness on a team where the other units are below average.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Mitch Korn isn't Mary Poppins. Our goalies suck. Biggest weakness on a team where the other units are below average.
No goalie is magically better than any one else either, it’s the things they do that makes players good and know one knows how to get goalies doing that more than Mitch Korn

Reactions: dood

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
When Ladd does come back, he would not be replacing a regular scratched player like Kuhnhakl, so I doubt he'll be sent down. It's gotta be a roster player.

OR

There is a trade imminent. Maybe after 10 games, when we know what we have.

Oh yeah I didn’t mean Kuhnhackl would be the one out. The most likely scenario if Ladd does come back is that someone like Aho would go down and Ladd would replace Filppula who would then take a seat next to Kuhnhackl in the press box, giving us 14 forwards, 7 defenseman, and our 2 goalies for our 23 man roster.

I think a trade is entirely possible but I feel like the most likely outcome is that Ladd will be out for a while, even if he’s healthy they’ll still say he’s “hurt”. I just don’t think they have any interest in playing him at all and are just waiting for expansion in a couple of years to use their buyout on him.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Every move is met with chicken little outrage. Its ridiculous. Trotz knows what he's doing. Lou knows what he's doing. Chill out people. Our top 6 is excellent (Beauvillier looks great, 30 goals for sure). We have a banging 4th line, and a 3rd line that may be excellent defensively. Pulock is poised for a breakout season. Toews will make the team. We have a legendary goalie coach who should help our goalies get back to where they were when they had their best seasons. NOBODY is giving this team a chance. I think this team will be better than last year's. May not make the playoffs, but I can see them cutting the goals against by 50-75 goals due to having Trotz as a coach and Korn as a goalie coach.

Step away from the ledge ladies and gents, if anyone starts to tank, Lou will get rid of them. Hell, I even notice actual better defensive play, and actual effort out of Brock Nelson ! :eek:. It's gonna be a more enjoyable squad to watch than last year.
Who exactly is centering this "excellent" second line? The bottom 6 are mediocre to awful pluggers and grinders. The defense is putrid. The goalies are a huge question mark. I agree that they will have a much more structured defensive scheme and will significantly reduce they're GA. But instead of losing games 6-0 or 5-4, they will lose 3-2 and 4-3. I'm expecting a very marginal improvement. Certainly no playoffs and I doubt much of it will be enjoyable.

scott99

May 13, 2005

This is Lehner's stat line 2 years ago with the putrid Sabres and before he met Mitch Korn, and before he straightened his life around.

2016-17Buffalo SabresNHL59163418152022.682326817580.920
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This was Greiss' stat line 2 years ago. Also on a poor defensive team with crappy systems and a crappy goalie coach.

2016-17New York IslandersNHL51102826126032.692618513270.913
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Agreed, they both had TERRIBLE 2017-18 seasons. BUT, even if they duplicate the stat lines from 2 years ago, which is quite possible now that we have a coach who knows WTF he's doing, and knows how to implement good defensive structure, and a legendary goalie coach, this team will be much better. I wouldn't be shocked if both goalies do better than those stat lines above.

Trotz+Korn=better goaltending and defense. Lehner always had the talent. Now his mind is in a good place, and he's getting great guidance. I'm very optimistic for both goalies, they've both had success in the NHL. I don't think "our goalies suck".

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Its a solid add. Sbisa is a vet who can play a role on this team. We would have killed for him last season.

Putting the defensive rebuild on Toews is not the way to go. To many seem to view Toews as the next incarnation of Potvin. Toews has been very good in camp. He totally looks like he belongs. He might make the opening night roster — he might make the team if they carry 8 D. Then again, he may start the season in Bport — which is also fine. I'd rather he begin in Bport and play 22 minutes a game in all situations, then be Matt Donovan and sit in the press box for 10 game stretches.

Further — we all know 55 is likely to miss some time.

We may also see a trade at some point to move out a contract. Perhaps Pelech. Maybe Mayfield. Who knows.

Lastly — lets not forget, Toews is coming off a significant injury. Getting an extra month or two in the AHL won't destroy his career.

I have a helluva lot more faith in the 3X cup winning GM and defending cup winning coach in the best team to ice based on who is here.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Who exactly is centering this "excellent" second line? The bottom 6 are mediocre to awful pluggers and grinders. The defense is putrid. The goalies are a huge question mark. I agree that they will have a much more structured defensive scheme and will significantly reduce they're GA. But instead of losing games 6-0 or 5-4, they will lose 3-2 and 4-3. I'm expecting a very marginal improvement. Certainly no playoffs and I doubt much of it will be enjoyable.

This whole overblown notion that the goies suck needs to go away. Hasek would have "sucked" with that system in front of him last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad