Staples Twitter: Isles Sign Sbisa

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This whole overblown notion that the goies suck needs to go away. Hasek would have "sucked" with that system in front of him last year
I didn't say the goalies sucked. I said the goalie position is a huge question mark. Greiss is a solid career back up who had one good 1/2 season as a starter. Lehner had an awful season last year and he is currently going through some heavy duty personal issues. The upside is certainly better with Lehner than with Griess as I think we pretty much know what we're getting with the latter. But anyone who feels comfortable going into the season with this tandem is fooling themselves.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Trotz+Korn=better goaltending and defense. Lehner always had the talent. Now his mind is in a good place, and he's getting great guidance. I'm very optimistic for both goalies, they've both had success in the NHL. I don't think "our goalies suck".

I'm thinking of a goalie who was over .500 with the Sabres with a 920 Save %... Any guesses?

The underlined is precisely what one says when one's goaltending sucks.

I didn't say the goalies sucked.

If one had to pick pairings, they'd be picked in the last 3.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Awful. We've really seen some of the worst Lou has to offer -- along with the best(signing Trotz). The off-season needs to end now, before Lou decides to sign Seidenberg too.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Awful. We've really seen some of the worst Lou has to offer -- along with the best(signing Trotz). The off-season needs to end now, before Lou decides to sign Seidenberg too.

We are obviously in rebuild mode, the team is set up perfectly to 'tank' when a lot of bodies are moved out by the TDL.

Hopefully Sbisa returns a decent enough draft pick when he's moved.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

All of Lou's good moves have been from a personnel standpoint, he's totally revamped the coaching. Player wise, I really haven't liked anything he's done so far.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

He’s a veteran Defensman who is serviceable. You need guys like that. Can’t just bank on the young guys carrying the team. Can never have enough nhl Defensman.

Seidenberg is done.

Sbisa isn’t coming in to play top4 min.

Who would you have liked him to get?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He was so instrumental in the team's cup win that I think the Caps players ended up voting him a full winners share in appreciation.
Sbisa is what he is. Someone said he is one of the worst players in the league. Well, yeah. He was on a PTO and he's probably going to be a #7 depth guy, so I guess that makes him one of the worst players in the league. But when you get to the bottom of most rosters that's what you find, right?

And it's great that Toews has looked good in preseason games, but he's been playing against some NHL caliber players going half speed and a bunch of junior players and minor league guys. So before we annoint him ready for regular top 6 duty let's see how he does in the last couple of preseason games and then at the start of the season if he sticks. After having Snow blame missing the playoffs on injured guys in BP, I'm glad to see the guys in charge building in layers of depth.

Reactions: bigtim1988

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sbisa is what he is. Someone said he is one of the worst players in the league. Well, yeah. He was on a PTO and he's probably going to be a #7 depth guy, so I guess that makes him one of the worst players in the league. But when you get to the bottom of most rosters that's what you find, right?

And it's great that Toews has looked good in preseason games, but he's been playing against some NHL caliber players going half speed and a bunch of junior players and minor league guys. So before we annoint him ready for regular top 6 duty let's see how he does in the last couple of preseason games and then at the start of the season if he sticks. After having Snow blame missing the playoffs on injured guys in BP, I'm glad to see the guys in charge building in layers of depth.
What depth? Would you consider adding e coli tainted food to your picnic adding depth to it? That's what adding Sbisa as "depth" is. And you are pointing out Toews playing lesser competition and looking good against them. You know who played against that same competition and looked embarrassingly terrible? Sbisa.

Reactions: Sheva7

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Because smart organizations spend big on players who are among the very worst in the whole sport while letting their talented guys walk over 500k a year.
didn't think about being smart sorry

Spybot

May 12, 2014
The amount of useless or marginal players Lamoriello's signed or traded for recently (and not just with the Islanders) is staggering. I fully prepared myself for the fact that his biggest contribution to this franchise would be regarding the staff he'd bring in and him cleaning up the organization, but this abysmal talent evaluation is really frightening.

The league minimum is already too much to pay for Sbisa, but hey at least it's not a multi year contract?

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Look at the bright side.. yes our roster looks very weak... but it looks much stronger than the 2017 Golden Knights... by a mile.
You think our lineup looks better than the '17 GKs?! The GKs essentially got the eighth or ninth best player off of every team in the league -better or worse in a few cases, but on average - so could throw 4 solid # 2 lines and 3 solid #2 defense pairs out there. They freakin' revolutionized the very makeup of an NHL team by having a no superstar lineup but one that came after you shift after shift after shift with very able players and no let up. You think what they did was some kind of fluke? In December it was a fluke. By June it was the story of the year in sports but clearly no accident.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Toews is safe.... Mayfield will be waived and sent down.
You got to hope this is the case. Mayfield is BY FAR the worst of the 8 dmen still left in camp.
I personally think it should be:
Leddy - Boychuk
Pulock - Sbisa
Hickey/Pelech - Toews (with Hickey and Pelech rotating)

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Tank Commander

I am a high functioning autistic who has presented most of my base hockey theories on TSN1260 Alan Mitchell’s “Lowetide” blog and HF boards.

My father and friend were the lead minds for Aerospace industry greatest practical minds of last 150 years.
Father development of:1. Canadian Avro Arrow - basis for the entire American fighter jet industry, 2. Nuclear powered rocket program in Jackass flats NV, 3.for Apollo service module and lunar lander, 4. Retro fit of Hawk SAM to make it functional from late 60,s to 2000, 5. Landsat satellite development and tracking program, 6. first Motorola home satelite dish, 7. Exocet missle, 8. Designing & commisioning many of the worlds satelite tracking programs for NATO partner countries................

These minds lead me to reject (@ 13yr) Academic linear binary aproach looking for formulaic solutions In forward/ reverse binary variable (T/F & +/-) linear path confirmation.

I used a Boolean multivarible Sequence of event (SOE) mapping of outcomes for machines/sport robot/human actions allowing Identification of the 40-500% affects to create my theories. We now see the leading binary linear academic theorists reject thier work by using my approach.

I have used two two observations (to 100% break down GA portion of hockey) that date back
1. 50 yr (flin Flon bombers violence about attack defend net) that lead to the entire high danger shot density portion of analytic tree.
-Shot density (12 yr)
-Home plate/ perimeter Ratio. (12yr)
-Elite HD dmen
- Dpairs establish save% avg baseline goalies perform around
- Goalies are measured +/- versus Dpair Save% baseline.
- Off dmen are rovers who create a 3F-1R-1D-1G who occupy forward zone space on offence and abandon def of HD area must be measured against Dmen.

2. 44 yr ago Playing with 7 yr old Ron Gunville (Player Personel Director of P.A. Raiders) I observed him moving like a table hockey goalie. The shots hit him at a high %. The have 0% chance off going in ( closed shot). Driver of a whole other collection of def affect.
- Table hockey goalie ( creates closed shots)
- open / closed SH: only open sh need accelerated goalie movement to make SV.
- 0% Corsi = ( blocks + misses + closed sh)
- elite 0% corsi Men (subject goalies to lowest % of storable Corsi)
= 0% corsi/CA ( #1 Russell, #2 DeHaan) 12 year old theory

My two ( 2 kinds of ZS) player Situation usage 3d matrix ( 3 axis multi variable) based on team, comp, ZS (60% Face Off & 40% coach bench change w/ or w/o pocession) establishes expected baseline and +/- performance ranges for the 258 or 512 situations.

When I looked at cup success:
1. Who wins championships (2 teams 1conf & 1 Cup/conf)
Top 5 GA teams can win a championship with bottom 30GF
Top 5 GF teams need top 15 GA to win championships
GA teams make/ advance in playoffs 20-40% more than GF teams.
GA drives championships
2. What is a repetitive cup core roster:
I have discussed this theory on HF boards for many years.
Vegas 100% copied it.
1. HD coach
Gallant
2. Top 10 HD goalie ( 1 available in exp draft)
Fluery
3. 3+ top,60 HD dmen (4 last 3 seasons) (9 available in exp)
Vegas took all 9
3 top 10 Mcnabb, Stoner, Schmidt
2 top 25 Methot, TVR
2 top 45 C. Miller, Sbisa
2 top 60 Engelland, Garrison
4. Top 8 team Cummulative Top 125 fwd ( 16g 39p) production. ( 5 avail)
185 groups of 16/39 absilble from top 125 fwds.
Mcdavid = 2.65
Neal, Perron, Eakin, Smith, Marschesault,
With Increased TOI prospects Karlsson, Haula, Tuch
5. +ve goal diff special team.

A team that puts emphasis on 2D-1G HD sys and has parts 1,2,3 is Conf final competative every yr.
2. Griess Top 10 last 3 yr
3. Sbisa top 45 HD, boychuk used to be top 30.

CHL scouts I talk to agree with the Rover structure theory
When HD perimeter ratio was (1.5/2):1 rovers offensive performance had more value than def.
Now that it is 5:1 the Def is much more important.
Rovers establish save % baselines of .897 to .907
Since Top 5 rovers generate ev off at #6 to #9 fwd and #6 rovers on down generate at #10 (4 th line) to AHL level. You want it in the 270 to 360 forward superipr at generating offence.

NYI Def establishes brutal save% baselines.

But you now have
2/4-5 GA cup core
Griess
Sbisa

If you see a rover skating up the puck that allows opp to set up NZ traps that greatly reduce zone entry. Often leading to,pout,and situations in front of thier own net.

Reactions: Seph

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
What depth? Would you consider adding e coli tainted food to your picnic adding depth to it? That's what adding Sbisa as "depth" is. And you are pointing out Toews playing lesser competition and looking good against them. You know who played against that same competition and looked embarrassingly terrible? Sbisa.
If you're right, we've got bigger problems than Sbisa (ie., Lou and Trotz who jointly made the decision). But I think you're wrong. We're talking about a depth defenseman, right? Our team missed the playoffs last year. Sbisa played 12 playoff games and averaged 16 minutes per game. And I repeat, he's a depth defenseman. Am I missing something? We're carrying 8 defensemen - who would fill the 7/8 slot better? The hyperbole if thick around here, but let's back it up with a Plan B. Any suggestions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->