Staples Twitter: Isles Sign Sbisa

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
This season has the makings of a tank-season, not unlike what Lou did in Toronto. Everything from the signing of the depth, "character" forwards, Sbisa on defense, returning top prospects to junior fairly early and sending Bellows/Ho-Sang for more AHL seasoning.

Maybe "tank" isn't the right word.

But in Toronto they returned Marner, kept Nylander in SWE/AHL as well as C.Brown, Kapanen, Dermott while they had players like Parenteau, Greening, Hunwick, Laich, filling the roster.

I see a lot of parallels.

Except the Isles core of Barzal, Beauvillier, Lee, Eberle, Bailey, Leddy, Pulock is probably a year or so ahead. Granted, if things don't go well, getting a top pick next June AND potentially getting big assets back for pending UFAs - Lee/Eberle and/or other potential trades, could mean a rapid improvement. Maybe.

It's a fascinating year in many ways.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
1) i think some people put too much stock in pre-season games. it's only part of the evaluation process. the real test, is how they perform in games, and more importantly, high pressure games. guys like Toews, Bellows and JHS, have not proven anything at the NHL level. they should not be given a spot on the big club, based on a few exhibition games. they've proven that they can be dominant, but they need to take the next step, and be consistent.
JHS proved he can produce at the NHL level. Can he be consistent? Not enough data yet*), half a point per game in half a season total is not enough, but he CAN produce at the NHL level, there is simply no doubt about it.

*) It's probably worth to mention that he went pointless for more than 3 games only twice including the stretch leading to his demotion last season when the whole team was in free fall.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This season has the makings of a tank-season, not unlike what Lou did in Toronto. Everything from the signing of the depth, "character" forwards, Sbisa on defense, returning top prospects to junior fairly early and sending Bellows/Ho-Sang for more AHL seasoning.

But in Toronto they returned Marner, kept Nylander in SWE/AHL as well as C.Brown, Kapanen, Dermott while they had players like Parenteau, Greening, Hunwick, Laich, filling the roster.

Except the Isles core of Barzal, Beauvillier, Lee, Eberle, Bailey, Leddy, Pulock is probably a year or so ahead. Granted, if things don't go well, getting a top pick next June AND potentially getting big assets back for pending UFAs - Lee/Eberle and/or other potential trades, could mean a rapid improvement. Maybe.

Yep, I'm perfectly fine with all of this. We're not starting in a bad spot which is why I think we only need a one year retool. Leave it up to the players, if they are going to make the playoffs we're good, if not we have assets to improve the club long term.

Fans need a Xanax.

Reactions: SI90

crasherino

May 9, 2013

The upside of really sucking this year is potentially nabbing a Center prospect who is ready to play from the get go. That would mean we would a #2C, a strong RHD (in Dobson) and forwards like Bellows and Wahlstrom potentially. Now that's not necessarily a SC contending team - but its a pretty exciting one. The year after (2020)? That's our target.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The upside of really sucking this year is potentially nabbing a Center prospect who is ready to play from the get go. That would mean we would a #2C, a strong RHD (in Dobson) and forwards like Bellows and Wahlstrom potentially. Now that's not necessarily a SC contending team - but its a pretty exciting one. The year after (2020)? That's our target.

Dobson looks amazing, and I'd expect Bode Wilde to be pretty damn good as well, sooner than later. And frankly, Devon Toews looks pretty damn good as well.

Have cheap(ish) and young(ish) NHL depth (better than depth) type players is crucial to long term success. And although the Isles have missed so much in the 1st round of late (DalColle, Reinhart, Strome) and didn't really get lucky with post-first-rounders (Sorokin/Toews maybe?) - there's a really solid young core.

But this still looks like a really bad team to me. Can't help it. I hope I'm wrong.

Aside from the standings, I'd love to see a few things this year:
- Barzal establish himself as a #1 C with a second strong season (very likely - he's just too skilled)
- Beauvillier continue to produce like he did in the second half (very likely - the kid can play!)
- Bellows to light up the AHL (I expect him to start slow and command a call-up by game 25-30)
- Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde, Ishkakov having stellar years
- Ho-Sang FINALLY emerging in scoring, consistency, attitude and making a re-call happen
- Trotz (maybe this should be higher!)

Nice to have (not necessarily expected):
- Lehner having a solid year, and Greiss a re-bound year.
- Leddy playing somewhere close to where he played in every prior year
- Bailey just being Bailey - somewhere before last year's version and the years prior

Some unknowns - Eberle, Lee (let's see how things go)

Although there are huge question marks in there, there's a lot of promise as well.

Reactions: crasherino

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
JHS proved he can produce at the NHL level. Can he be consistent? Not enough data yet*), half a point per game in half a season total is not enough, but he CAN produce at the NHL level, there is simply no doubt about it.

*) It's probably worth to mention that he went pointless for more than 3 games only twice including the stretch leading to his demotion last season when the whole team was in free fall.
he can produce points at a reasonable rate, but can he produce a 200' game, consistently?

not yet. i think he will eventually figure it out, and good for us. he's fun to watch.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
If you believe Trotz will send Toews down to play Mayfield, then I understand how you feel. I simply don't see it and feel differently.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I just saw Brandon Davidson was on a PTO and signed with the Blackhawks for....$650K. Where are they both on the pecking order of PTO players? You'd think that Davidson would be more inclined to stay here considering our weak D corp and the fact that he knows the team.

D'ya think Sbisa was the more in demand player?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I just saw Brandon Davidson was on a PTO and signed with the Blackhawks for....$650K. Where are they both on the pecking order of PTO players? You'd think that Davidson would be more inclined to stay here considering our weak D corp and the fact that he knows the team.

Sbisa is definitely better player with more experience but we probably gave sbisa too much money though as well.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT

I don't think we were interested in re-signing him. God that 3rd we wasted on him. If only we can dupe someone into taking Sbisa at the deadline for the same return .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad