Staples Twitter: Isles Sign Sbisa

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Nothing wrong with Sbisa for depth. This give the Islanders 9 legit defenseman (including Toews and Aho) should they need them. And Sbisa is a RH shot while Toews and Aho are LH'd.

But, I hope he doesn't bump Toews down the line. Toews should hopefully be in the running for the #6 Dman over Mayfield potentially. Sbisa should be kept on ice for when we need our 8th Dman. That time will come eventually this season. Hopefully not for a while.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ugh. I’d hate to think he’s taking ice time from Toews

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
Because they signed SBisa?

Sbisa is one of the worst players in the nhl, yes. He'll fit in perfectly on a team with 7 fourth liners and block toews from getting meaningful minutes.

This isn't even a good tank, the isles have too much money and too many years tied up in so many awful players. I'd at least have some optimism if some of the young guys were getting meaningful minutes while the team sucked, but instead they're blocked by overpaid bums.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Sbisa is one of the worst players in the nhl, yes. He'll fit in perfectly on a team with 7 fourth liners and block toews from getting meaningful minutes.

This isn't even a good tank, the isles have too much money and too many years tied up in so many awful players. I'd at least have some optimism if some of the young guys were getting meaningful minutes while the team sucked, but instead they're blocked by overpaid bums.

Ah

So now Lou and Trotz are the Garth and Weight/Cappy....and everyone knows better. Got it. The 2018-2019 HF Boards Islanders rhetoric

News flash my little pumpkin...they aren't tanking

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Common.....He is signed as a #8 Dman. Lets not get too wound up on this. As long as he isn't getting a rotated into the top 6 right away or even the first guy off the bench if Toews is on the team.

You often times go 10 defensemen deep in this league. With Sbisa, Aho and Toews, the Islanders are at least 9 deep now. That's pretty decent. Rathgreb may be the wild card too.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wonder if Boychuk’s health has anything to do with this. His knees may be at the point where he needs to sit out 1/3 of the time or something like that.

Reactions: Costigan77

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Fine with it, another asset to trade at the deadline.

Kind of how I look at it. Fans hate Sbisa but around the league he’s known as a serviceable veteran Defensman.

Had a decent year last year.

I’m guess this means Seidenberg is finished with the islanders? Hope he decides to retire and stay with the team though

Reactions: bigtim1988

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Don't hate the signing, he's better then Seids. Toews is also waiver exempt so either he plays in the top 6 or send him to Bridgeport. No reason to sit in the press box

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Mayyybe just maybe LL and Trotz think it's better for Toews to get 20+ minutes a night and top PP time in BP after missing most of last season instead of getting 15 mins a night in the NHL.

Mayyybe just maybe Toews is ready for 18+ minutes in the NHL though.

He averaged 21:14 in both of the games he played in. NYI won both.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad