Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
I'm excited to see and hear the progress of our draft choices in junior camps. As far as Pilon, I remember reading about Pilon after he got traded to Brandon, and I remember people talking about Pilon as a great pickup and that he was highly touted as a 16 year old. I don't know what has happened since, he's got size, he could skate, is offensively gifted. Hell, if he has the season he had last year on any other team, he's a 2nd round pick at worst. I'm assuming there might be hockey sense questions, and questions about his physicallity (or lack thereof).

I'm very excited about him as a prospect, there is one website that had a 7 round mock, and had Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon and Pilon all going in the 2nd round (they also had Beauvillier going in the 2nd) and we got them in rounds 3,4 & 5 respectively. Great draft !

Not saying this is the only reason he fell, but he had a MISERABLE combine. Worst body fat % of ANY draft eligible combine player, and finished bottom 10 in every exercise done at the combine. Not an immediate cause for alarm, but the Isles need to get him on a diet/exercise plan ASAP...then its on him to put the work in.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Not saying this is the only reason he fell, but he had a MISERABLE combine. Worst body fat % of ANY draft eligible combine player, and finished bottom 10 in every exercise done at the combine. Not an immediate cause for alarm, but the Isles need to get him on a diet/exercise plan ASAP...then its on him to put the work in.

Seems like a somewhat easy solution. Pilon was teammates and d-partners with Pulock who is one of the most physically impressive guys on the team. Just have them train together during an off-season or two and that should bring him up to at least average.

scott99

May 13, 2005
http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/game/s...=232764&_ga=1.174068450.1536520705.1387324984

Both Dal Colle and Ho Sang got an assist as Canada beats Russia in a WJC exhibition game

Dal Colle was on the 1st line and Ho-Sang was on the 4th line, don't know if there is any significance as to their chances to make the team. That being said, there are 40 players at the camp and only 22 spots. I assume Barzal and Beauvillier will play tonight vs the Czechs. All 4 could make the team or all 4 could miss out, my prediction is Dal Colle and Barzal make it. Seems to be the consensus on Hockeysfuture prospects board. I'd love to see all 4 make it though :)

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Dal Colle was on the 1st line and Ho-Sang was on the 4th line, don't know if there is any significance as to their chances to make the team. That being said, there are 40 players at the camp and only 22 spots. I assume Barzal and Beauvillier will play tonight vs the Czechs. All 4 could make the team or all 4 could miss out, my prediction is Dal Colle and Barzal make it. Seems to be the consensus on Hockeysfuture prospects board. I'd love to see all 4 make it though :)

What I saw of the game, JHS was getting some token PP time, and was mostly playing a reserved game- Button was saying he was impressed for the most part, saying that JHS was playing cautious and trying to earn the trust of the coaching staff. Button also used the word selfish too, so there's that- it was in the context of JHS perhaps making risky plays and questioning whether or not the reward was worth it. Funny thing these contradictory observations are after talking up JHS reserved game (!). JHS was setting up line mates all night, and there were a few misses...he did see some brief PP time with MDC mid-way through the 3rd.

MDC got all kinds of ice, and PP time, and played a calm, confident game. He appears to float at times, but you can see how cerebral he is, and creates in and around the slot- you think he might shoot, then dishes a simple little pass in tight. Looks slight out there though, and like JHS needs to bulk up.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
What I saw of the game, JHS was getting some token PP time, and was mostly playing a reserved game- Button was saying he was impressed for the most part, saying that JHS was playing cautious and trying to earn the trust of the coaching staff. Button also used the word selfish too, so there's that- it was in the context of JHS perhaps making risky plays and questioning whether or not the reward was worth it. Funny thing these contradictory observations are after talking up JHS reserved game (!). JHS was setting up line mates all night, and there were a few misses...he did see some brief PP time with MDC mid-way through the 3rd.

MDC got all kinds of ice, and PP time, and played a calm, confident game. He appears to float at times, but you can see how cerebral he is, and creates in and around the slot- you think he might shoot, then dishes a simple little pass in tight. Looks slight out there though, and like JHS needs to bulk up.

This is the feeling I got from watching his games last year too. He has that sort of Jeff Carter/Eric Staal type look when he is on the ice considering how long he is and rarely has wasted motion or effort which I think people mistake for weak-ish skating ability since his feet aren't always moving at 100 mph. Always seems to be in the right areas in the o-zone and neutral zone though he is improving defensively. I'm halfway with you on his need to bulk up. I think for his durability and ability to battle in front of the net/along the boards he needs to add muscle but he already is up around 12 lbs from last year. I don't think he needs to get near 215 or 220lbs to play at his best since his underrated quickness might suffer but if he can play at 200-205 with his frame he will be in great shape.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

My guess is Dal Colle and Barzal have pretty good shots of making the team, Beauvillier is on the bubble(his 2 way game might get him a shot at the bottom 6) and JHS is a longshot(only so many spots in the top 6)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Chapin, I consider you one of the best judges of prospect talent on our board (also get good info from you on Twitter). What are your thoughts on what kind of player Pulock will become ? What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are ? Besides his obvious howitzer shot.

Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about him from a physical standpoint. He should be able to hold his own physically and over time, use that body for good positioning in front of the net and in corners.

Won't happen overnight, but should come.

I've noticed that he can, in addition to ripping the puck from the blueline, also distribute it nicely from there. Once he adjusts to the NHL, that ability should come in handy as well, particularly to players parked along the left board side.

Otherwise, the sky will be the limit. It all depends on how intelligent and adaptable he is as a player. The strength and shot should give him a lot of options. The defensive game will have to come over time. I don't see him being Erik Karlsson in the rushing department, but as players come to see him as an offensive threat, he may get more room to maneuver. I hope he can be a real nice first pass player too. I think the ability should be there to make real good use of that.

I think highly of him. Dunno if it'll be this year though that all this comes into fruition. Doubt it.

scott99

May 13, 2005
My guess is Dal Colle and Barzal have pretty good shots of making the team, Beauvillier is on the bubble(his 2 way game might get him a shot at the bottom 6) and JHS is a longshot(only so many spots in the top 6)

I am worried NONE of our guys will make it. Canada has scored 11 goals in two games, and our 4 players have a grand total of 1 point between them (they took away JHS's assist), certainly not dominating in any way. I was hoping at least one guy would explode with a 3 or 4 point game, but the opposite is happening. Granted, I haven't seen any of the games, so maybe our guys are playing well, but getting unlucky goal and assist wise. But when you have to pare down 40 guys to 22, I think the majority of our guys are in the bottom 18 that get cut.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
I am worried NONE of our guys will make it. Canada has scored 11 goals in two games, and our 4 players have a grand total of 1 point between them (they took away JHS's assist), certainly not dominating in any way. I was hoping at least one guy would explode with a 3 or 4 point game, but the opposite is happening. Granted, I haven't seen any of the games, so maybe our guys are playing well, but getting unlucky goal and assist wise. But when you have to pare down 40 guys to 22, I think the majority of our guys are in the bottom 18 that get cut.

It's been 2 games. There is still 2 more games where Canada will try different line combos that may get more out of all of our guys. I think MDC definitely needs to be paired with a better puck possession guy if they want him as a top-6 scoring role. Put him with a Marner, Strome, or Barzal and let him play to his strength off the puck and as a playmaker around the net. Tony B if he can keep up playing a good bottom-6 2 way game might find himself as the 4C for his PK ability and FO%.

Also there is still a whole half of a junior season left to go. Guys get injured, struggle, stick on their NHL team (Marner and Strom come to mind) and just have different circumstances that impact whether they play on the team or not. No need to sound the alarm bells yet.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Have you been reading the articles written by NHLers like Jon Quick, Logan Couture, and Kevin Shattenkirk? One of them mentioned this type of "efficiency" and how it's something a lot of elite NHLers are able to do. No doubt, there is an appreciation for guys who's motors just do not stop out there on their shifts (i.e. Cizikas), but as a guy who's going to be expected to score at the next level, I have no problem with MDC picking his spots out there on the ice per say.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Have you been reading the articles written by NHLers like Jon Quick, Logan Couture, and Kevin Shattenkirk? One of them mentioned this type of "efficiency" and how it's something a lot of elite NHLers are able to do. No doubt, there is an appreciation for guys who's motors just do not stop out there on their shifts (i.e. Cizikas), but as a guy who's going to be expected to score at the next level, I have no problem with MDC picking his spots out there on the ice per say.

I've often said that MDC reminds me of a Tavares-lite. The kid has a very complete and balanced offensive skillset, something Quick mentioned about JT in that Tribute article. The biggest thing about MDC that I like, he's got high level hockey intelligence. He's not flashy, but he'll make the right play most of the time and his strength will be about generating scoring chances in volume rather holy crap plays. His game is very pro style and very projectable.

As he continues to mature, I think we'll see him take matters into his own hands more. He doesn't seem to be shy about going to the dirty areas, that's a great sign since he knows it's where he needs to be. He certainly has an excellent release and shot. He should be our 2nd best goal scorer behind JT.

Saw that on my Twitter feed this afternoon, good for Beau.

The more and more I read and see about Beauvillier, the more I love this kid. He's got the release and shot to score goals. No questions about his motor and his versatility is a big plus. This is the kid we're going to want taking defensive zone faceoffs when he makes the show.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I've often said that MDC reminds me of a Tavares-lite. The kid has a very complete and balanced offensive skillset, something Quick mentioned about JT in that Tribute article. The biggest thing about MDC that I like, he's got high level hockey intelligence. He's not flashy, but he'll make the right play most of the time and his strength will be about generating scoring chances in volume rather holy crap plays. His game is very pro style and very projectable.

As he continues to mature, I think we'll see him take matters into his own hands more. He doesn't seem to be shy about going to the dirty areas, that's a great sign since he knows it's where he needs to be. He certainly has an excellent release and shot. He should be our 2nd best goal scorer behind JT.

The more and more I read and see about Beauvillier, the more I love this kid. He's got the release and shot to score goals. No questions about his motor and his versatility is a big plus. This is the kid we're going to want taking defensive zone faceoffs when he makes the show.

was thinking this just recently. hopefully he will turn out to be our Patrice Bergeron.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
the argument can be made that ho sang has been canada's best forward in tonight's game. craig button and gord miller seem to think so, anyway.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
The idea that Dal Colle is considered a lock to make the WJC team and Ho-Sang is barely on the bubble makes no sense to me. I realize that Ho-Sang has an incomplete game, but he's a much more developed athlete. He could play in the NHL next year. (Of course, NYI have too much quality depth for that to happen). Dal Colle reminds me a lot of a young odd-looking Pacioretty. I don't think there's any question which player would be a better international hockey player at this point. maybe it's just comparative weakness at LW as opposed to RW.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
the argument can be made that ho sang has been canada's best forward in tonight's game. craig button and gord miller seem to think so, anyway.

I thought he was. He has the ability to play in the NHL next year. No doubt it would be a steep learning curve. He looked much more advanced then the majority of guys last night. Ho-sang has a wow factor you don't see a lot.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

I saw the paragraph by JQ on JT, but this was just what I saw from MDC- has almost that big man syndrome- where he appears to be coasting, but gets there anyway. He doesn't need to motor around like a Beauvillier- they are just two different players. MDC is like a shark out there hunting- doesn't always go north-south, but can- doesn't always dazzle, but in and around and behind the net he really shows his smarts. There was one play where he looked like a completely different player behind the net- he seemed faster somehow, and certainly his reach and range didn't hurt here. But in wide open spaces - I don;t know if it's those loping long strides- he does appear to be in a lower gear. He seems defensively responsible too, so didn't appear to be over committing on the forcheck- and like a lot of these invites/hopefuls (as with JHS) they are trying to show the coaching staff they can be trusted out there to pick up their wingers coming back, and play that 200 foot game.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/ho-sang-showcases-offensive-ability~672770

His hesitation moves while circling w/ the puck were pretty nasty, looked as though that helped him keep separation and eventually found the open man. His playmaking skills are NHL-ready, there is little to no doubt about that. :popcorn:

Not sure I'm in the NHL ready camp, but I watched the game last night and JHS was a game-breaker. His speed, puck handling, and vision are off the charts- they are top six NHL without a doubt. He collected two nice assists- the first by circling the zone and drawing defenders toward him- only to also pick up the attention of Russian D men in front of the net as JHS circled low and behind the net, until he made a nifty little pass on the tape in the slot for the goal. he attacked the net on the second goal, and the puck sorta rolled off his stick but right to the slot where it was ultimately banged home...he WAS the straw that stirred the Canadian offense last night...he made and even more brilliant play coming over the blue line later that drew both (!) Russian D men to him in the high slot (JHS edge work and lateral movement are terrific) and dumped it off to an unexpectant Watson i think who simply wasn't ready and flubbed what would have been a chance alone in on the goalie.

JHS had a awful pass sent his way at the point on the PP- it was bouncing AND behind him, and this sent a breakaway toward our net- but I trust the coaches saw this too and aren't blaming JHS for this. To be impartial, there was on instance where he overhandled the puck in the neutral zone which resulted in a turnover...noticed he missed a shift and was likely given a talking to- so if he can minimize those mistakes and bring one or two points a game, he deserves to be there.

Regardless, even if he gets snubbed or has an ordinary start to his OHL season, isles fans should be really really excited for this kid. He's got it. Dare I say it? We have a blue-chip prospect here...

:)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not sure I'm in the NHL ready camp, but I watched the game last night and JHS was a game-breaker. His speed, puck handling, and vision are off the charts- they are top six NHL without a doubt. He collected two nice assists- the first by circling the zone and drawing defenders toward him- only to also pick up the attention of Russian D men in front of the net as JHS circled low and behind the net, until he made a nifty little pass on the tape in the slot for the goal. he attacked the net on the second goal, and the puck sorta rolled off his stick but right to the slot where it was ultimately banged home...he WAS the straw that stirred the Canadian offense last night...he made and even more brilliant play coming over the blue line later that drew both (!) Russian D men to him in the high slot (JHS edge work and lateral movement are terrific) and dumped it off to an unexpectant Watson i think who simply wasn't ready and flubbed what would have been a chance alone in on the goalie.

JHS had a awful pass sent his way at the point on the PP- it was bouncing AND behind him, and this sent a breakaway toward our net- but I trust the coaches saw this too and aren't blaming JHS for this. To be impartial, there was on instance where he overhandled the puck in the neutral zone which resulted in a turnover...noticed he missed a shift and was likely given a talking to- so if he can minimize those mistakes and bring one or two points a game, he deserves to be there.

Regardless, even if he gets snubbed or has an ordinary start to his OHL season, isles fans should be really really excited for this kid. He's got it. Dare I say it? We have a blue-chip prospect here...

:)

That was all on Conner Bleackley for the bad pass. I remember seeing the sequence and thinking that someone would find a way to put all blame on JHS for that.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Last night, JHS with puck.

l41m6TeqwkBPcuMPS.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad