Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Just a reminder that Corey Pronman was also pretty high on Matt Donovan. Those stats guys...

To be fair, I think every person that rates prospects has been high on a player that didn't end up reaching their potential at one point. Also, I wouldn't rule out Donovan becoming a good 4 or 5 in the near future for a team that uses him properly. He has put up decent numbers and possession in the NHL the past two years and if we didn't have our Hickey signed and young d-men ready to make the leap he would still be here in a bottom pair role. Cappy for some reason unbeknownst to man (or anyone that watches hockey) continues to play Strait over him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Good Vibes...

So our own Matt Barzal throws out the 1st pitch at the Mariners game today...And they go on to throw a no-hitter!

CMO4HThUMAANv39.jpg:large

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just a reminder that Corey Pronman was also pretty high on Matt Donovan. Those stats guys...

I was guilty of being high on Donovan too. So much of his college and AHL game reminded me of Erhoff at the same stage.

Who knows, maybe he'll get it at some point.

But he was truly underwhelming on the Island.

If it doesn't work out in the NHL, I think he'll have a smashing career on the bigger ice in Europe.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Am at the Ivan Hlinka now and have seen some real good kids. Particularly Canada's squad has some fun players to watch. Sam Steel and Patrick Nolan have been very exciting. Really like the Dmen, particularly Girard, Clague, Bean, and of course Fabbro, who'll go the college route.

Interestingly, a lot of these kids are saying that Tavares is their favorites player. Well, him, Crosby and Toews. But I like hearing them mention Tavares anyways.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Am at the Ivan Hlinka now and have seen some real good kids. Particularly Canada's squad has some fun players to watch. Sam Steel and Patrick Nolan have been very exciting. Really like the Dmen, particularly Girard, Clague, Bean, and of course Fabbro, who'll go the college route.

Interestingly, a lot of these kids are saying that Tavares is their favorites player. Well, him, Crosby and Toews. But I like hearing them mention Tavares anyways.

Steel should be a top 10 pick no?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

How does Mete, the London blueliner look? I'm a fan of his

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

It is pretty cool that these next generation kids are admiring Tavares now, it's a testament to his hard work and dedication to become one of the elites of the game. I think Dylan Strome said Tavares was his favorite player too.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It is pretty cool that these next generation kids are admiring Tavares now, it's a testament to his hard work and dedication to become one of the elites of the game. I think Dylan Strome said Tavares was his favorite player too.

Don't forget fellas and ladies, Tavares was a Junior/OHL/WJC legend when these kids were growing up. JHS mentioned how much he loved watching Canada at the WJCs when he was younger. I believe he mentioned Tavares and Eberle.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Pronmans Top 100 from what I've found in the prospect main board

Barzal-13
MDC- not mentioned but I have to imagine he's in between these 2
JHS-45
Pulock-65
Beauvillier-66

Worth noting Griff-56

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Barzal-13
JHS-45
Pulock-65
Beauvillier-66

Worth noting Griff-56

MDC- 17 and MVS- 79

Dal Colle is being massively underrated by a lot of people these days. If you read some of the threads in the prospect forum people have him going outside the top 10 and very few people still have him in the top 5.

Also lol @ trading the 56th best prospect for the 13th best prospect & 66th best prospect.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Dal Colle is being massively underrated by a lot of people these days. If you read some of the threads in the prospect forum people have him going outside the top 10 and very few people still have him in the top 5.

I think its because he is not as fast and flashy as some of the other prospects in his draft year. However, his shot and power-play game are gonna be deadly. If the draft was tomorrow i think they would take him where they took him, he was the perfect pick for us in that spot.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Also lol @ trading the 56th best prospect for the 13th best prospect & 66th best prospect.

Everyone is always pumping the tires of their own prospects, no big deal that MDC gets no respect by the HF 'experts'. He's highly regarded by those in the know and he should be a big asset for the team once he gets to the NHL.

Pronman's rankings are always interesting, he's heavily biased towards certain types of players. He's at least consistent which is more than I can say for others.

Whether our system is ranked top-5 (by him) or others, we've got a strong system and that's what I take out of it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Barzal-13
JHS-45
Pulock-65
Beauvillier-66

Worth noting Griff-56

I like Pronman because he tries, but man he has a different set of glasses on when he evaluates/ranks prospects. Essentially the #1 thing he ranks a prospect on is that prospect's upside/potential. Pronman has admitted this himself. The problem is that a scout/analyst has to be able to take all facets of anyone's game into account to accurately come up with a good assessment of a player and thus...A top 100 list.

Basically if they were drafted the same year Pronman would have ranked Kabanov much higher than someone like Michael Peca. Hopefully everyone can see that there's much more to becoming an NHL player than upside.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Actually, the biggest surprise is Mitch Vande Sompel on Pronman's list at 79. He thought Vande Sompel should have been a first rounder, so it's not that crazy, but still. It's unusual that a player can play both wing and defense. It's very unusual that a player can play center and defense.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Actually, the biggest surprise is Mitch Vande Sompel on Pronman's list at 79. He thought Vande Sompel should have been a first rounder, so it's not that crazy, but still. It's unusual that a player can play both wing and defense. It's very unusual that a player can play center and defense.

I don't think MVS plays any forward at 5v5 as is used only used on the PK as a forward at least from the Oshawa games I saw. While I think that's a really useful piece of versatility to have on a team, I don't think he projects to play that same role at the NHL level if he gets there. However, the Isles do like to have a decent stable of PK forwards (usually they play 6 or 7 in one game) and if they switch to a Tampa Bay style of 7 d-men then I could see it happen. There are of course a lot of potential problems with doing that for the Isles (they have an abundance of forwards at the NHL level and soon to come up from prospect lists) but it could happen at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad