Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Our head of amateur scouting is a Finn. I wonder if he got some good inside info?

BTW, if he makes it to the NHL, and if it's allowed, Otto's number has to be:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Did anyone else watch the 2nd intermission report on Devon Toews? I think its interesting that he models his game after deHaan and already has a report with Boychuck.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
So since we are approaching the regular season, before you know it, the draft will be here. Going forward in the coming years, where do you think the focus should be in futures drafts? Can be any sort of area. For instance I feel we need more wingers with high skill with strong skating(preferably in the next year or two). Scoring wingers help but doesn't have to be. The current prospect pool is strong in D-men. Obviously, we would like to keep it that way, since its always good to have alot of d-men. We need to draft speed, skating and skill.

On a side note, as much heat garth takes for not trading some prospects away. Garth has done a good job of garnering a top prospect pool. I know you have to give to get, but Garth shows faith in the guys he draft's. He has done a good job restoring what milbury tore down.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So since we are approaching the regular season, before you know it, the draft will be here. Going forward in the coming years, where do you think the focus should be in futures drafts? Can be any sort of area. For instance I feel we need more wingers with high skill with strong skating(preferably in the next year or two). Scoring wingers help but doesn't have to be. The current prospect pool is strong in D-men. Obviously, we would like to keep it that way, since its always good to have alot of d-men. We need to draft speed, skating and skill.

On a side note, as much heat garth takes for not trading some prospects away. Garth has done a good job of garnering a top prospect pool. I know you have to give to get, but Garth shows faith in the guys he draft's. He has done a good job restoring what milbury tore down.

Our last 5 first round picks have been Forwards (MDC JHS Barzal Beau Bellows)

I believe you always go BPA so if that happens to be a forward in 2017 so be it but I am hoping it's a defenseman. Would be nice to add a blue chip defenseman to the cupboard.

I do agree with you on speed skating and skill. In the new NHL those are such important factors. That's why there's a lot of hope for Ho-Sang and Barzal to have success.

A defenseman with those attributes in this draft is Cale Makar. He's a 5'11 180lbs RHS offensive defenseman. I only found out about him this year around September. I've never seen him on TV because he plays in the AJHL. But I have been following scouting reports and updates fairly regularly. He's been climbing the rankings which sucks because he's not such a secret anymore. If we pick in the 10-20 range he very well maybe the BPA

Here's a highlight video of him. The angles aren't all great but the link allows you to also scroll to his individual game highlights. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0zLTVxbwc

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I feel like no one here talks about Bischoff much and more of Somerby. I like Somerby but I feel like Bischoff has a higher ceiling.

If they sign one, they'll sign both.

From what I've heard and can assess of their development, there's certainly no reason for the franchise to have signed Leduc and Graham, just to let these guys walk.

Besides, with more and more mid-sized allround Dmen like Matt Bennings making their way into the NHL, I can't imagine Snow will let either of these two walk (granted, Somerby is better than mid-sized).

I'm betting on one, but likely both, being signed ASAP.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If I'm interpreting this correctly, Otto still has an entire season to move up this list?

Edit: I understand now.... it's in a single season, so he will have a shot next year at improving on those numbers, they are not cumulative.

Gotta suspect he'll be left in Finland for another year. And I'm mighty curious is he can up the ante to match that of some really good company in that list above.

The team has another year to decide, in any case.

I can say that I've been working with a Finnish fella who comes from the same town (and club) and he says that they've known about Koivula for a while. He mentioned that he's made local waves and most in the program have been talking about him as a future NHLer. He also mentioned that this season has even been quite surprising, because the kid grew tall rather quickly and definitely has had some coordination problems along the way, so seeing him have this impact already indicates he may be ahead of the curve - or more may be in store.

In any case, he's been one of the more positive prospects this season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As I recall, it wasn't an issue of preferring Graham/Burroughs over Russo, but just that they were willing to sign the offered contract and the Russo was not.

I think you're right about this.

I recall Russo wanting 1st rounder money, or something like that.

I also remembering chatting with one of the Team USA parents before the WJC in Ufa. Russo wasn't part of the team and this one father said that was a bit of a shock for most of the parents who had been around the program for a while, mentioning that he was an underappreciated all-rounder with some genuine leadership qualities. He had captained the gold-medal winning U18 in 2011.

In any case, he's done well for himself since turning pro, but we'll see what comes of him.

I guess we'll always be critical of the smaller, righty-shooting, offensively oriented Dmen that the club chooses to sign or not to sign. All seems to go back to the team deciding on signing Ness prematurely while letting Spurgeon walk.

Sidenote:
For what it's worth, Brenden Kichton is in his 4th AHL season and has just 16 points (all assists) in 48 games for Manitoba. A far cry from his 48 point rookie AHL campaign. His past 3 seasons, he has a combined +/- of -52.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Well, at the moment, the team only has a first, second, third, fifth and seventh. Heading into the season, Mittelstadt was the kid I would most like to see the NYI end up with. Doesn't look like we'll be in range for him, but you never know what trades may go down.

One kid I suspect could be available in a middle range or early 20s is Elias Pettersson and I think he's got some tremendous skills. I see a lot of potential in him turning into an offensively gifted player at the NHL level.

Saw him first at the same Ivan Hlinka tourney that got me sold on Sam Steel. He was one of the youngest players and very slender and raw, but he was manning the second line and had a certain grace & elegance with the puck that doesn't grow on trees. His older brother has been drafted and is currently one of the top point producers in the SHL.

As for other options, we'll have more insight after the U18 tournament.

Here's a mock draft for the fun of it: https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/ny-islanders/58/

There are a few kids on the radar whose draft fate will be determined by the U18. I suspect this will be the case for Vesalainen and Kostin, both of whom I expect we'll see at that tourney.

I haven't read it yet, but there's an Isles-related article by Matt Larkin in the latest issue of the Hockey News. Judging by the headline, he's critical of the NYI not giving it's kids minutes in the NHL. The highlighted phrase is: "The Islanders should have a treasure trove of youngsters by now. What's gone wrong?"

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The Islanders can't be afraid to draft scoring forwards playing overseas. That's where their drafting can be improved in my opinion.

Those guys can marinate in the comfort of their own country while NYI can populate their AHL team with later rounders from North America, college free agents, and overage CHLers.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Islanders can't be afraid to draft scoring forwards playing overseas. That's where their drafting can be improved in my opinion.

Those guys can marinate in the comfort of their own country while NYI can populate their AHL team with later rounders from North America, college free agents, and overage CHLers.

We've missed out in this area. There's a lot of talent in Europe. Sweden and Finland especially

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I feel like no one here talks about Bischoff much and more of Somerby. I like Somerby but I feel like Bischoff has a higher ceiling.

IDK what forum you're on but it is hilarious how high some people are on Somerby. He's never going to be a regular NHL defenseman. Think Milan Jurcina with less of an edge. Completely useless.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Short read...

https://www.nhl.com/news/islanders-...-getting-noticed-with-play-in-whl/c-287518450

After playing two games for the New York Islanders in October, the 19-year-old center was sent back to Seattle of the Western Hockey League and told to continue his progression and dominate.

Barzal, selected by the Islanders in the first round (No. 16) of the 2015 NHL Draft, has done just that, scoring 79 points (10 goals, 69 assists) in 41 games. He has 60 points (eight goals, 52 assists) in 28 games since his return to the lineup after the 2017 World Junior Championship and was named the WHL Player of the Month for February after scoring 33 points (two goals, 31 assists) in 14 games...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
IDK what forum you're on but it is hilarious how high some people are on Somerby. He's never going to be a regular NHL defenseman. Think Milan Jurcina with less of an edge. Completely useless.

Milan Jurcina played in over 400 NHL games. I'll take that from a 5th round draft pick.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

My critique of this is that no one drafted Danil Yurtaikin in this mock.

If he is available in the 5th round or later and we DON'T take him I'm throwing a brick at the TV . . .

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/impressions-canadas-wjc-win-russia/

Barzal has come a long way

I thought that the selectors of the game awards would get it wrong again last night—most of the time when these prizes are awarded in the post game you wonder which game the voters were watching. (And please don’t presume that the working media gets ballots in these matters.) I thought that they’d name Dylan Strome as Canada’s best against the Russians based on his two goals. Against the odds the rightful kid was named: Matt Barzal, the centre for the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Islanders’ first-round draft pick in 2015. Chatting with a couple of scribes Monday I mentioned that I had thought Barzal should have played more in last year’s tournament. Their reaction: Did he play in last year’s tournament? That’s a definitive measure of how little Barzal factored into the mix with the team that was knocked out by the host Finns in the quarterfinals. Against the Russians you can see that Barzal might develop into the second-line centre the Islanders need. (For some NHL teams, it would in fact be first-line upside we’d be talking about.) Barzal has a lightning fast stick, almost on the level of Patrick Kane’s. He was able to buy time and let his linemates find open ice by mesmerizing Russian defenders with ginsu puck-handling. His passing ability is the stuff that can make a power play hum on its own—his two assists on Strome’s goals were as good as if not better than the finishes.

Weird side note: Two winters back, I watched a game in Prince Albert standing beside Barzal who was on crutches. I had been riding the bus with the Thunderbirds on their lllooonnnnnnngggggg road trip from Seattle to Brandon with umpteen stops in between. Barzal rode the bus from Seattle to Saskatoon but managed not to get through the first practice on the roadie—in fact, he didn’t even manage to get through suiting up for the first practice. The details are in the story here and it should be enough to scare junior players off a lot of the dressing-room goofing-around. The injury Barzal suffered aside, he came off as a smart and focused kid, maybe even a bit of a hockey obsessive, the one who’s every waking hour is spent playing hockey, practising hockey, working out or watching video. I’d guarantee that when Ducharme and the Hockey Canada coaches are screening video of the Russian game for players Tuesday it will be at least the second time Barzal has watched the footage. All of this is to say that he should fit in really well in a dressing room with John Tavares, a like-minded sort.

Russian standouts

On the Russian side of the equation Monday night, a couple of players jumped out. Everyone was looking to see Montreal’s first-rounder Mikhail Sergachev, the defenceman who was sent back to Windsor just after the regular NHL season started. By all reports, Sergachev didn’t handle the return as well as might have been hoped but that’s not a knock. A lot if not most elite kids struggle after their first pro camp and Sergachev might have had an actual grievance—he did everything the Canadiens asked and more but really wasn’t given a chance to win a job. Hard not to see him in the NHL next season. If there isn’t an obvious opening, the Canadiens will have to make one. You could also see Kirill Kaprizov playing in Minnesota, maybe a couple of years down the line. Maybe the most competitive Russian up front and certainly the one with the biggest attitude (in a good way), he looks like a find in the fifth-round in 2015.

I also liked the game of forward Danil Yurtaikin, a 97-birthday with Lokomtiv Yaroslavl who hasn’t been drafted in his first years of eligibility but has to be worth a shot in June.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Sounds like a good value Russian. Much like our Golyshev or Minnesota's Kaprizov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad