Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I did not realize Barzal's 70 points were only in 37 games. 25 games or more fewer than most other players in the WHL in the top 5-10 in scoring

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Can we get Ilya Sorokin over this summer or next summer? BTW he is does not have playoff loss yet in KHL, round 2 for CSKA Moscow starts next Wednesday I believe

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
I don't know what to think of him or Ho Sang. Their stat lines this tear, albeit in drastically different leagues are so odd and assist heavy. Barzal's line is something you used to see out of Peter Forsberg

Or Doug Weight...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Joe Thornton and Adam Oates are 2 guys that stand out as having really weird goal-assist ratios

It's always odd that someone can obviously be that hockey smart and read the play that well where they get so many assists, but they aren't great scorers. You'd think being that savvy they'd position themselves more often for goals.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Barzal with a 3 assist night in a 5-4 OT loss. He now stands at 74 points in 38 games which puts him 2 points under a 2 PPG pace.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Barzal with a 3 assist night in a 5-4 OT loss. He now stands at 74 points in 38 games which puts him 2 points under a 2 PPG pace.

It's a shame he was not eligible for the AHL, he could have benefitted from it ALOT. Do you think he starts off there next year or makes the big squad out of camp?

I'm curious to see who he winds up playing with here, my inclination is to split up him and Ho-Sang. JHS is boom or bust and if his game translates to the NHL, the spot next to JT is his for the taking.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It's a shame he was not eligible for the AHL, he could have benefitted from it ALOT. Do you think he starts off there next year or makes the big squad out of camp?

I'm curious to see who he winds up playing with here, my inclination is to split up him and Ho-Sang. JHS is boom or bust and if his game translates to the NHL, the spot next to JT is his for the taking.

Thinking about JHS with JT.. if his skill translates that would really work. Playing with Tavares would put pressure on him to make good decisions and not hold onto the puck too long. He'd know it's not his line

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Thinking about JHS with JT.. if his skill translates that would really work. Playing with Tavares would put pressure on him to make good decisions and not hold onto the puck too long. He'd know it's not his line

Not only this, but also Zone entries and One-Timers.

JT never excelled at 1-timer's because quite frankly he's never had anyone feeding him sauce.

Ho-Sang can also carry the puck well, gain the zone and hopefully learn to make the right decision quick enough, Alot of JT's goals come off the cycle, a forced turnover in the D-Zone or just outstanding individual effort.

I think if they gel we could see a lot more odd man rushes and tic tac toe.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL

I think Barzal is going to need some tweaking in the AHL - he wont be there long but just enough to adjust

-He holds onto the puck for too long
-Still might be defensive liability
-Has to show he can handle NHL/AHL speed

He's running it in juniors right now, but keep in mind he is playing against boys not men. He is still our best FWD prospect, pass first, play making center. He is gonna be fine...

I'm so glad Jack Capuano is gone. Dougie has done good work with the fwd group so far, Barzal did not get a fair shot early on in the 2 games.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Not only this, but also Zone entries and One-Timers.

JT never excelled at 1-timer's because quite frankly he's never had anyone feeding him sauce.

Ho-Sang can also carry the puck well, gain the zone and hopefully learn to make the right decision quick enough, Alot of JT's goals come off the cycle, a forced turnover in the D-Zone or just outstanding individual effort.

I think if they gel we could see a lot more odd man rushes and tic tac toe.

I would have to dig for the article but Ho-Sang in juniors was one of the best zone entry forwards in juniors. He is a good possession player, but the problem is sometimes he holds onto it too long instead of doing the safe pass he tries something crazy, he has gotten better at in BP because Thompson has been on him about it

Ho-Sang is a gifted passer... but sometimes he tries to hard. The perfect play is not always going to be there. That's why he gets misconstrued as a puck hog / selfish. If the haters watched him they would see that.

So pumped for the game, looking forward to his debut.

ettlinger

Sep 13, 2005
I did not realize Barzal's 70 points were only in 37 games. 25 games or more fewer than most other players in the WHL in the top 5-10 in scoring

Barzal is actually second in the WHL in PPG with 1.95. Only Sam Steele is better with 2.05.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Surprised he got a d1 offer to be honest. It would've been far more embarrassing for the islanders if their prospect ended up playing d3 or worse, club.

Well, naturally the politics are involved.

And I'd have bet my bottom dollar that going to a D1 program would mean winding up with a less competitive Ivy League school.

Can't imagine any kid with zero points in the USHL would otherwise be a topic for a D1 program.

But hey, he's likely a future staple and captain of China's national team, wherever it may be located in the IIHF rankings.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Can't help but think about how important exactly that aspect was in assessing JT's success with Parenteau a few years back. PAP's ability to march with the puck and safely get it in the offensive zone was half of the rent, so to speak.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's always odd that someone can obviously be that hockey smart and read the play that well where they get so many assists, but they aren't great scorers. You'd think being that savvy they'd position themselves more often for goals.

Some players prefer to pass, I know I do. I get more satisfaction setting up a teammate for a tap in goal than I do scoring one. It's also similar to how some players can pot 50 goals but barely get any assists. One or the other may not be as good as another at shooting/passing to the point that one of the two things takes preference for them when they're playing.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Can't help but think about how important exactly that aspect was in assessing JT's success with Parenteau a few years back. PAP's ability to march with the puck and safely get it in the offensive zone was half of the rent, so to speak.

Which is why many fans drool over Ho-Sang / Barzal. They can do exactly what we lost with Frans/PA.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Random question hope someone can help me out on.

People are always saying "Ho-Sang has XX points in his last xx games" and so on. How can you view a prospect or AHLer's game log? I'd love to know a place I can see that information without having to go from box score to box score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad