Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Going to leave this right here.

Anyone else very impress with Beaullivier the pas couple games? I think he has looked slightly better than Barzel, except for that cross check the other night. I am surprised at just how well all 4 of our top forward prospects have looked this camp.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Going to leave this right here.

Anyone else very impress with Beaullivier the pas couple games? I think he has looked slightly better than Barzel, except for that cross check the other night. I am surprised at just how well all 4 of our top forward prospects have looked this camp.

Beau looked awesome tonight,

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I was going to write it in the Tony B thread but watching the big four of Ho-Sang, Barzal, Dal Colle and Tito is incredibly interesting. 3 of the 4 have made honest pushes to be in the starting lineup and next year all four in terms of readiness could be in. Insane.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I was going to write it in the Tony B thread but watching the big four of Ho-Sang, Barzal, Dal Colle and Tito is incredibly interesting. 3 of the 4 have made honest pushes to be in the starting lineup and next year all four in terms of readiness could be in. Insane.

This is why I'm not concerned with losing Strome or Nelson in the expansion draft. In addition, I see Pelech making one of our 4-6 D expendable by next year as well. He's just really solid and can play both sides.

I think Snow could realistically put together a massive package of cost controller assets varying in value (Nelson/Strome, Prince/Quine, de Haan/Hickey, Mayfield/Berube, 1st/2nd) for a legit top six winger, preferably right winger.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
This is why I'm not concerned with losing Strome or Nelson in the expansion draft. In addition, I see Pelech making one of our 4-6 D expendable by next year as well. He's just really solid and can play both sides.

I think Snow could realistically put together a massive package of cost controller assets varying in value (Nelson/Strome, Prince/Quine, de Haan/Hickey, Mayfield/Berube, 1st/2nd) for a legit top six winger, preferably right winger.

Losing one of Nelson, Lee, deHaan, or Strome could be a blessing in disguise. Yeah, we'll lose a quality player for nothing, but we need the room when our prospects eventually develop.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

That'd be ideal.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Seems like we've got three clear tiers of prospects. Barzal and Sorokin are the clear top tier. Then a great 2nd tier with Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, Pelech and Pulock. And then a bunch of projects including Dal Colle. Interesting how things change.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Seems like we've got three clear tiers of prospects. Barzal and Sorokin are the clear top tier. Then a great 2nd tier with Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, Pelech and Pulock. And then a bunch of projects including Dal Colle. Interesting how things change.

Pelech in a higher tier than MDC is a head scratcher. I'm not MDC's biggest fan but best case scenario Pelech is a solid 4/5 guy. MDC still does have an outside shot at being a top-line winger.

Barzal/Sorokin/Pulock

JHS/Beauvillier/Bellows/MDC

Pelech/MVS/Wotherspoon/Quenneville/Koivula/Golyshev/Soderstrom

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am not very worried if MDC takes a full year with the BST this season and even part or all of next, since the Isles have Barzal, Ho-Sang and (maybe) Beauvillier on the cusp and developing quickly. It could actually be beneficial spacing out the young players with Barzal, Ho-Sang and Beauvillier ready or almost ready, then have the next wave of MDC, Bellows and maybe Golyshev 2-3 years out. That helps with roster numbers and payroll/cap, spacing them out in two different tranches.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Before John Tavares was a shoe-in to make the team in 2009, the measure of merit for a 1st round pick making the team within a year or two of being drafted was: does he have a pulse? Hell, even if he doesn't like, is he still held together by atoms?

- Josh Bailey
- Kyle Okposo
- Petri Nokalainen
- Robert Nilsson
- Rick DiPietro
- Raffi Torres
- Tim Connolly
- Taylor Pyatt
- Bratislava Mezei
- Roberto Luongo
- Eric Brewer
- Brett Lindros
- Darius Kasparaitis
- Scott LaChance
- David Chyzowski

.... some turned out to be pretty good players, buthe they would have been disappointments if they didn't make their debut so soon. That Barzal, Beauvillier, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang have to cut through some red tape is actually a good thing.

... but I still don't understand how anyone has to fight through Bailey.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
I don't know why a lot of people are so down on MDC. I get other players have been more noticeable and electric (Beauvillier and Ho-Sang) but that is just his game. This preseason and camp he has worked on his weaknesses and impressed me.

His positioning in both zone has been great. His footwork, board play and skating have improved. I think he is the least likely of the major prospect to make the team, but I also thing he is the most complete player outside of barzal. Does everything well, nothing spectacular aside from maybe his release. He might not ever become a dominate top line winger, and for some that will always bother because of his draft position (al la Bailey) but there is a solid player there. I see a top 6 winger who is reliable, consistent and complimentary and every team needs those types of players.

Also for a fun fact, take all the prospect pools out there, do the isles at this time have the best starting line up? Because I think we do.

Beauvillier/Dal Colle - Barzal - Ho-Sang

Pelech - Pulock

Sorkin

I don't know if any team is better than that line up. Very exciting times for the future and will certainly let ease the burden of expansion draft.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I don't know why a lot of people are so down on MDC. I get other players have been more noticeable and electric (Beauvillier and Ho-Sang) but that is just his game. This preseason and camp he has worked on his weaknesses and impressed me.

His positioning in both zone has been great. His footwork, board play and skating have improved. I think he is the least likely of the major prospect to make the team, but I also thing he is the most complete player outside of barzal. Does everything well, nothing spectacular aside from maybe his release. He might not ever become a dominate top line winger, and for some that will always bother because of his draft position (al la Bailey) but there is a solid player there. I see a top 6 winger who is reliable, consistent and complimentary and every team needs those types of players.

Also for a fun fact, take all the prospect pools out there, do the isles at this time have the best starting line up? Because I think we do.

Beauvillier/Dal Colle - Barzal - Ho-Sang

Pelech - Pulock

Sorkin

I don't know if any team is better than that line up. Very exciting times for the future and will certainly let ease the burden of expansion draft.

I haven't seen the games, but, oh no! We're already talking about his positioning to justify his worth? Well, that scares the crap out of me! That's the defense used for Bailey since 2010. This guy's supposed to be a goal scorer! I don't want to be wowed by his positioning!

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
I haven't seen the games, but, oh no! We're already talking about his positioning to justify his worth? Well, that scares the crap out of me! That's the defense used for Bailey since 2010. This guy's supposed to be a goal scorer! I don't want to be wowed by his positioning!

He is a goal scorer and has an NHL release. His physical gifts, and learning how to use them comes with time. I will always defend Bailey as a top 9, versatile forward who is good for about 30-40 points a season. Yes his draft position makes it seem more than desired, but players like that have worth in the NHL. I think ultimately MDC ceiling is someone like Ladd. An all around goal scoring winger and his floor is someone like Brock Nelson who is similar, just less talented. Both these players are valued forwards in the NHL. They are paid differently and valued differently, but they have their worth.

The major reason I look at positioning and one and one battles on the boards, IMO allows you to judge a players adjustment to the speed of the game. Not being caught out of position, making smart passes and plays and working with your team mates are more valuable to me at this stage of development than "wow factor" He's had some great chances, played off his line mates well and complimented them very nicely.

It doesn't scare the hell out of me that he hasn't flashed or scored. I think he was very mislabeled out of the draft and the expectations from this board were for an elite shooting winger when I never really saw that. He is an all around offensive player who has a great release. I think he will be a great complimentary top 6 player, but not an elite scorer in general.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
He is a goal scorer and has an NHL release. His physical gifts, and learning how to use them comes with time. I will always defend Bailey as a top 9, versatile forward who is good for about 30-40 points a season. Yes his draft position makes it seem more than desired, but players like that have worth in the NHL. I think ultimately MDC ceiling is someone like Ladd. An all around goal scoring winger and his floor is someone like Brock Nelson who is similar, just less talented. Both these players are valued forwards in the NHL. They are paid differently and valued differently, but they have their worth.

The major reason I look at positioning and one and one battles on the boards, IMO allows you to judge a players adjustment to the speed of the game. Not being caught out of position, making smart passes and plays and working with your team mates are more valuable to me at this stage of development than "wow factor" He's had some great chances, played off his line mates well and complimented them very nicely.

It doesn't scare the hell out of me that he hasn't flashed or scored. I think he was very mislabeled out of the draft and the expectations from this board were for an elite shooting winger when I never really saw that. He is an all around offensive player who has a great release. I think he will be a great complimentary top 6 player, but not an elite scorer in general.

Don't give me that crap about Bailey's draft position. That is a trite argument and a cop out. I don't care if he was a sixth round pick. The guy sucks! He loses the puck, has no intensity, and his play away from the puck and positioning really aren't that good. After eight years in the league, he still plays scared. He really shouldn't even be in the league.

Ifor anything, Bailey fans defend him BECAUSE of his draft position!

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Don't give me that crap about Bailey's draft position. That is a trite argument and a cop out. I don't care if he was a sixth round pick. The guy sucks! He loses the puck, has no intensity, and his play away from the puck and positioning really aren't that good. After eight years in the league, he still plays scared. He really shouldn't even be in the league.

Ifor anything, Bailey fans defend him BECAUSE of his draft position!

Yet most analytical metrics put him at a solid NHLer. Average, granted, but solid middle 6 forward. Intensity has never been his game. He is streaky and at times can be down right terrible, but often it's balanced by some sweet passes or things that get more overlooked like defensive plays.

Regardless about Bailey, MDC has the potential to be much better player. His size, IQ and shot release are NHL ready, I think it's a matter of getting good linemates with him and putting him in a position to succeed. IMO I believe he will always be a complimentary player as opposed to being an elite player, which a lot of people have issues with because Barzal and Ho-Sang have shown flashes of elite talent and skill. I think Dal Colle will become that reliable, all situation second line scorer and there is nothing wrong with that even at his draft position.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Sorokin is playing vs SKA stars right now. It's going to be a tough game for him. And Sorokin vs Shesterkin, like Islanders vs Rangers.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
On the plus side, Ilya Sorokin is now the top-rated goalie in the KHL. Both in GAA and SVS%.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
And Griffin Reinhart still can't make the NHL out of camp on his most beloved team.

Garth has already won that trade by a country mile.

Now if he could only learn that Bailey sucks. And he should look to move Strome, Dal Colle, and Nelson before it's too late.

maybeagoalieguy

Oct 7, 2016
Yet most analytical metrics put him at a solid NHLer. Average, granted, but solid middle 6 forward. Intensity has never been his game. He is streaky and at times can be down right terrible, but often it's balanced by some sweet passes or things that get more overlooked like defensive plays.

Regardless about Bailey, MDC has the potential to be much better player. His size, IQ and shot release are NHL ready, I think it's a matter of getting good linemates with him and putting him in a position to succeed. IMO I believe he will always be a complimentary player as opposed to being an elite player, which a lot of people have issues with because Barzal and Ho-Sang have shown flashes of elite talent and skill. I think Dal Colle will become that reliable, all situation second line scorer and there is nothing wrong with that even at his draft position.

I agree with your assessment. I think Bailey is a solid NHLer, shows flashes of brilliance; but too inconsistent to be a top end player. High draft pick plus rushed to NHL sets the bar high, always going to be over critiqued because of it. Having a coach like Capuano also works against players like Bailey and Strome who don't have strong intensity in their game. Capuana is high intensity and physical not methodical and skilled.

I see huge upside to MDC, but once again agree with him being a complimentary player. Doesn't have the dynamic speed or hands to create space with the puck, but can finish a pass. If he finds chemistry with a skilled playmaker watch out; if he doesn't high probability of a bust.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
And Griffin Reinhart still can't make the NHL out of camp on his most beloved team.

Garth has already won that trade by a country mile.

Now if he could only learn that Bailey sucks. And he should look to move Strome, Dal Colle, and Nelson before it's too late.

Haha. I just listened to Eklunds podcast. ARI wants to reunite the brothers and have discussed (not in depth) a possible trade.

I will say this..Bailey will have a record year..probably 52+ points...watch. It's contract year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad