Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Wouldn't mind seeing what Goly can do this side of the pond
I've watched quite a few games this year and thought Goly would look good on the 3rd line. Though he's small, he plays with a lot of energy and goes to the dirty areas. Pretty good shot too but who knows how he would look on the isles.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Gonna be very interesting to see what the team thinks about Cockerill and Adams when this season is over. Very interesting.

I'm still tipping on them each being offered an AHL contract.

But if guys like Jobst and Carpenter got ELCs (granted, they were free agents), gotta think Cockerill and Adams' agents will be seeking the same thing, especially with the power to become a UFA as of August 15th.

As long as it doesn't affect the 50-contract limit, the Isles should be offering any young player with legit NHL potential a contract to get them in the system.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
From Staple's latest: Scoring or depth? What we're hearing about the Islanders' trade deadline plans

Possible overseas reinforcements

The KHL and SHL playoffs begin soon. In Russia, Avtomobilist is the No. 7 seed in the East playoffs, which begin Tuesday. There’s been chatter that Anatoly Golyshev, the Isles’ fourth-round pick in 2016, wants to break his KHL contract that runs two more seasons and try his hand in the NHL. If Avto goes out quickly, we’ll see where that leads, but he could be a forward addition prior to the trade deadline whose only cost would be a one-year, entry-level deal. That’s a much cheaper alternative than an NHL trade. Golyshev had 12-15-27 in 53 games this season.

In Russia, you no break contract - Contract break you.

Seriously...Given what's gone on with Petrov and then Sorokin, how in the world does Golyshov think he's getting out of his deal early?

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, sometimes + - can be misleading. It is a positive. The one game I watched, I didn't notice Holmstrom at all. Maybe he is settling in? If so, it's a positive.
What MJF said about meltdowns in the early games is true. Also Thompson’s been putting lines into a blender because there are so many players on the roster so it’s taken some time to get that right.

In general, Holmstrom is always playing high in the zone so he’s usually positionally sound. He’s also a very good skater and has been good on the back check.

At this pace, he’ll reach his Ly totals in half the games which is what you want to see. He’s also got good nhl size to go along with the playmaking.

I see him as kind of a faster Bailey who will shoot and has a high hockey IQ. He’ll be playing next to Nelson and Beau in about 2 years with a cup of coffee with Pageau next year ala Wahlstrom.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
In Russia, you no break contract - Contract break you.

Seriously...Given what's gone on with Petrov and then Sorokin, how in the world does Golyshov think he's getting out of his deal early?

Interesting.

Without looking it up, I could swear that his 4-year KHL contract had an NHL-out clause after two years.

Meaning, he wouldn't have to break it to come over, but rather make use of a built-in clause.

However, I would think that Staple knows this, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

But there was definitely something there that allows him to make the jump after the first two years of the contract.

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Per EP Henrik Tikkanen has been fully promoted to Kalpa from IPK

Yep, he's actually played four games for KalPa and isn't doing too poorly either!
upload_2021-3-2_13-43-17.png

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Islanders prospects report: Ranking top 5 prospects in system

Curious peoples thoughts on this list?

1. Collin Adams
2. Anatoly Golyshev
3. Samuel Bolduc
4. Logan Cockerill
5. Robin Salo

As noted, this list apparently ranks them based on "how a player could factor at the NHL level based on how they’re performing right now" and takes into account a player’s performance this year.

I mean sure, but Adams and Cockerill are seniors at their level, so you have to balance their impact the same way you would an overager in junior, and take it a bit with a grain of salt. It's these kind of articles that do impact the quality of the writing from fan sites like EyesonIsles, but yes those guys are having good years in their respective leagues.

Projecting their effectiveness at the NHL level is an entirely different beast. For the sake of that argument Golyshev and Salo are playing in pro leagues so they would be the closest to "NHL ready" with Bolduc likely very close.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

1. Collin Adams
2. Anatoly Golyshev
3. Samuel Bolduc
4. Logan Cockerill
5. Robin Salo

As noted, this list apparently ranks them based on "how a player could factor at the NHL level based on how they’re performing right now" and takes into account a player’s performance this year.

I see Salo and Bolduc as solid NHL prospects.

Based on what's been done THIS season, Salo should be #1 on that list.

The three others are complete long shots and I don't see an Adams or Cockerill being anything we don't already see in Jobst and Carpenter.

Golyshev just isn't a viable NHL prospect, if you ask me.

Look at what Grigorenko is doing in Columbus. He has a ton more experience in North America than Golyshev - who has none - and was infinitely more effective in the KHL than Golyshev has been.

Why would we think this 5'8" injury prone winger has much, if anything, to offer over here?

I wouldn't mind the Isles bringing him over to find out, but in light of the 50 contract limit and the GOBS of currently undrafted young players on the UFA market, I'd have to think there's little reason to bring over a 30-point little tyke from the KHL who is already 26-years-old rather than keep a few slots open for some of the kids that'll be seeping through no later than after the next draft, which is currently CHOCK full of overagers.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I am thrilled that Collin Adams is considered so highly. His size is always going to be questioned. Would be great news if this kid can jump into the NHL and produce a point per game.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I am thrilled that Collin Adams is considered so highly. His size is always going to be questioned. Would be great news if this kid can jump into the NHL and produce a point per game.

Literally WTF? You didn't mean a POINT PER GAME in the NHL did you? Much less from a guy that is a longshot to play a full season in the NHL.

For context...Barzal isn't a PPG player in the NHL.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

1. Collin Adams
2. Anatoly Golyshev
3. Samuel Bolduc
4. Logan Cockerill
5. Robin Salo

I understand Kyle Schempp is at a 3 points per game pace in a beer league, so I'd put him at #1.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

1. Collin Adams
2. Anatoly Golyshev
3. Samuel Bolduc
4. Logan Cockerill
5. Robin Salo

yeah, based on this years performance, they are pretty solid. yet still, i would replace Golyshev and one of Adams/Cockerill, with Dufour and Jeffries.

on that note, i am really pleased with our prospect base this year. no real rockstars, but really solid.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Literally WTF? You didn't mean a POINT PER GAME in the NHL did you? Much less from a guy that is a longshot to play a full season in the NHL.

For context...Barzal isn't a PPG player in the NHL.

Go easy on him, still waiting on his medical marijuana shipment on back log . . .

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
that list basically screams we have the worst current prospect pool in the NHL. Talk about hideous. Bolduc and Salo have chances that is about it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Go easy on him, still waiting on his medical marijuana shipment on back log . . .

That was me going easy on him. I asked him a question to be sure he wasn't mistaken that he thought Collin Adams is going a PPG player in the NHL.

Reactions: leeroggy

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
that list basically screams we have the worst current prospect pool in the NHL. Talk about hideous. Bolduc and Salo have chances that is about it.

Let's say bottom 5 worst but still...

And that doesn't even address the fact that no one is talking about our 2019 1st rounder as even an NHL player, much less a good one.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Based on what, out of curiosity? He has been doing pretty well in a mens league for a few seasons now.

- 5'8" and seriously injury prone (as in, misses time every single season)
- Hasn't equaled, much less bettered, the stats he put up when drafted
- Has long scoring drouts in the KHL - every season
- Is already 26
- We've seen VASTLY superior KHL players either just swim (see Gusev, Grigorenko, Yakupov) or sink entirely (see Shipachev, Plotnikov) in the NHL.

Lastly, my eye test tells me he's a slightly faster, yet shorter version of Czarnik without the grit. I just don't know how he differs from all the Fritz', Jobsts, Kubiaks, etc. in the system.

I'll go even further in my assessment by pointing out that, as an avid watcher of a number of European leagues, the level of play in the KHL has sunk in recent years. The league is simply too watered down and most teams have everything from a few former NHLers to a bunch of ECHL level kids plus juniors filling in.

And particularly the overall team defense and systematic structures can look so amateur at times that it's amazing they don't just take the top 10 teams, throw them into one league, and call it a day. It's often pitiful. Meaning, if Golyshev is an NHL talent, he should have been tearing things apart in recent years as opposed to just squeeking in his 25-32 points per season.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
- 5'8" and seriously injury prone (as in, misses time every single season)
- Hasn't equaled, much less bettered, the stats he put up when drafted
- Has long scoring drouts in the KHL - every season
- Is already 26
- We've seen VASTLY superior KHL players either just swim (see Gusev, Grigorenko, Yakupov) or sink entirely (see Shipachev, Plotnikov) in the NHL.

Lastly, my eye test tells me he's a slightly faster, yet shorter version of Czarnik without the grit. I just don't know how he differs from all the Fritz', Jobsts, Kubiaks, etc. in the system.

I'll go even further in my assessment by pointing out that, as an avid watcher of a number of European leagues, the level of play in the KHL has sunk in recent years. The league is simply too watered down and most teams have everything from a few former NHLers to a bunch of ECHL level kids plus juniors filling in.

And particularly the overall team defense and systematic structures can look so amateur at times that it's amazing they don't just take the top 10 teams, throw them into one league, and call it a day. It's often pitiful.
hmmm, okay, this is definitely interesting.

Guess I will temper my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad