Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
hmmm, okay, this is definitely interesting.

Guess I will temper my expectations.

On the other hand, I'd say it's fair if you've been getting excited about Salo and Dufour. These are guys with serious potential to help the NHL team at some juncture.

And after a stretch of something like just two assists over 14 games, Iskhakov now has 6-19-25 in 37 Liiga games. It's not the worst season for a kid who was in completely new territory as a first year pro (granted, he had 2-3-5 in his first four games before the big lull). He's spent a majority of the second half of the season pivoting the second line.

I've always been skeptical of him, but I'm really starting to think he could end up being a player very similar to Kirill Kaprizov. He just is going to need a lot of time in the oven before he "gets it" to that degree.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
On the other hand, I'd say it's fair if you've been getting excited about Salo and Dufour. These are guys with serious potential to help the NHL team at some juncture.

And after a stretch of something like just two assists over 14 games, Iskhakov now has 6-19-25 in 37 Liiga games. It's not the worst season for a kid who was in completely new territory as a first year pro (granted, he had 2-3-5 in his first four games before the big lull). He's spent a majority of the second half of the season pivoting the second line.

I've always been skeptical of him, but I'm really starting to think he could end up being a player very similar to Kirill Kaprizov. He just is going to need a lot of time in the oven before he "gets it" to that degree.
Do you think Ishkakoc and Kaprizov are that comparable? Kparizov has about 40 lbs on Iskhakov and is a better skater from what I've seen. I like Iskhakov's creativity and skill a lot, but at his size I think he needs much higher end skating to make it at the NHL level, which seems unlikely. But you see more European hockey than me, so I'd certainly be happy to hear if his play is looking like I'm wrong on this one.

Also, agree with you on Golyshev. Worth noting in addition to the point you made, his offensive production has declined for the past two seasons straight. Seems like he is being pushed down the lineup on his KHL team, which at 26 would support that he isn't a NHLer.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

Ish is definitely a project but I have always been intrigued by his skillset so this is very encouraging. Size is obviously still important but we have seen a number of talented under 6 foot players succeed in recent years... I hold out hope

The emergence of Salo is of course very exciting as well.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
- 5'8" and seriously injury prone (as in, misses time every single season)
- Hasn't equaled, much less bettered, the stats he put up when drafted
- Has long scoring drouts in the KHL - every season
- Is already 26
- We've seen VASTLY superior KHL players either just swim (see Gusev, Grigorenko, Yakupov) or sink entirely (see Shipachev, Plotnikov) in the NHL.

Lastly, my eye test tells me he's a slightly faster, yet shorter version of Czarnik without the grit. I just don't know how he differs from all the Fritz', Jobsts, Kubiaks, etc. in the system.

I'll go even further in my assessment by pointing out that, as an avid watcher of a number of European leagues, the level of play in the KHL has sunk in recent years. The league is simply too watered down and most teams have everything from a few former NHLers to a bunch of ECHL level kids plus juniors filling in.

And particularly the overall team defense and systematic structures can look so amateur at times that it's amazing they don't just take the top 10 teams, throw them into one league, and call it a day. It's often pitiful. Meaning, if Golyshev is an NHL talent, he should have been tearing things apart in recent years as opposed to just squeeking in his 25-32 points per season.

Gosh what a great post. For all the, "______ is going to be amazing/a bust," posts around here from people who've never really watched that prospect play, here's a well-informed and intelligent post based on actual observation and logical deduction. I love it.

Moar of this please...From anyone.

Reactions: luki here

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

To me Salo is on level with Aho, has some potential as an NHLer but there are flaws for sure. Ishakov from what I’ve seen in limited college viewings is a kid with really good puck skills who is small and not a great skater. We probably don’t have any sure fire can’t miss prospects at this point, we do have some projects with good potential.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Now this is surprising take. In my analysis of Iskhakov I thought there was some skill, but at last check he was yielding at least an inch and 40-50 pounds to Kaprizov. May sound like a big difference, but there are a lot more players who are not only playing in the NHL, but having an impact at 5'9 as opposed to 5'8. At 5'8 and especially around 155lbs, Iskhakov is pretty darn small by NHL standards.

Are there 5'8 players who've made it? Well of course. Nathan Gerbe made it at 5'4, but even he was about 175 pounds. Zuccarello also 175. Same with Cam Atkinson. The closest size/weight comp to Iskhakov is DeBrincat who's 5'7 and about 165, but man I don't see Ish's talent in the same zip code of DeBrincat.

Admittedly I have not watched Iaskhakov since before Covid started so I hope he's taken that next step, but I think even if he has he's going to need to pack on some serious weight to be able to have more than a cup of coffee at the NHL (if he even makes it that far). I always thought he might be an exciting AHL player so anything more than that and I'd be thrilled.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Now this is surprising take. In my analysis of Iskhakov I thought there was some skill, but at last check he was yielding at least an inch and 40-50 pounds to Kaprizov. May sound like a big difference, but there are a lot more players who are not only playing in the NHL, but having an impact at 5'9 as opposed to 5'8. At 5'8 and especially around 155lbs, Iskhakov is pretty darn small by NHL standards.

Are there 5'8 players who've made it? Well of course. Nathan Gerbe made it at 5'4, but even he was about 175 pounds. Zuccarello also 175. Same with Cam Atkinson. The closest size/weight comp to Iskhakov is DeBrincat who's 5'7 and about 165, but man I don't see Ish's talent in the same zip code of DeBrincat.

Admittedly I have not watched Iaskhakov since before Covid started so I hope he's taken that next step, but I think even if he has he's going to need to pack on some serious weight to be able to have more than a cup of coffee at the NHL (if he even makes it that far). I always thought he might be an exciting AHL player so anything more than that and I'd be thrilled.
I am tired but just off the top of my head the isles drafted a pretty short defense-man once upon a time, he seems to be having a nice career with the Wild atm...

edit : Spurgeon

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Do you think Ishkakoc and Kaprizov are that comparable? Kparizov has about 40 lbs on Iskhakov and is a better skater from what I've seen. I like Iskhakov's creativity and skill a lot, but at his size I think he needs much higher end skating to make it at the NHL level, which seems unlikely. But you see more European hockey than me, so I'd certainly be happy to hear if his play is looking like I'm wrong on this one.

All viable stuff.

I should be clear that when I write
<<<
<<<
I'm seeing that time in the oven as including considerable physical growth.

The similarity I see to Kaprizov is in their playing styles. Kaprizov has a much better track record, particularly with respect to scoring goals. But when I see the TPS highlights, there's just something about the puck-handling, vision, and style of movement in traffic that reminds me heavily of Kaprizov.

But despite the 148-pound Heponiemi having suited up for Florida three times this season, I just don't see a player with Iskhakov's type of body mass being an NHLer, much less an offensive impact player. There will have to be a considerable amount of core strength and body mass added along the way.

But if all goes right and he does manage to improve on the physique as he matures, Kaprizov is the type of player I can see him becoming.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
To me Salo is on level with Aho, has some potential as an NHLer but there are flaws for sure. Ishakov from what I’ve seen in limited college viewings is a kid with really good puck skills who is small and not a great skater. We probably don’t have any sure fire can’t miss prospects at this point, we do have some projects with good potential.

I had been following Aho for a good long while before we drafted him, because he had been in the SHL since he was 16 and part of two championship teams as a teenager. He had also put up 11-22-33 numbers the year we drafted him and was Skelleftea's PP quarterback.

I remember a Finnish fella with a Swedish name who is one of the top guys at Central Scouting (not going to tell you more than that:)) telling me right before that draft that they continued to be shocked that no team had taken Aho yet, because "dozens of much less promising kids had gone in the last draft alone, much less over four years".

This said, I think Salo has a decisive advantage over Aho due to size, if nothing else. He's 6'1" and actually looks "big" out there. He also has a much more fluid form of skating, which is likely the absolute main reason teams weren't willing to take a shot on Aho all those years. Yes, Salo has had to improve his skating since having been drafted, and he has, but he's just got a game that is more conducive to the modern style of defender that is showing up all over the NHL.

I really don't know what Aho's fate is going to be. I do know that him not playing anywhere yet this season ain't helping him in the least. That we didn't have him parked in Sweden until NHL camps opened befuddles me, especially since we had a handful of players in Europe.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I really don't know what Aho's fate is going to be. I do know that him not playing anywhere yet this season ain't helping him in the least. That we didn't have him parked in Sweden until NHL camps opened befuddles me, especially since we had a handful of players in Europe.
It's unfortunate for Aho that he didn't get to play anywhere in North America this season and likely won't get a chance until next season.

Aho just turned 25 years old 2 weeks ago and I'd say time is running out for him to have anything more than a journeyman's NHL career. In any organization he ends up with, he's going to keep getting pushed down the totem pole by 18-20 year old prospects and a few college seniors first turning pro after graduation.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
All viable stuff.

I should be clear that when I write
<<<
<<<
I'm seeing that time in the oven as including considerable physical growth.

The similarity I see to Kaprizov is in their playing styles. Kaprizov has a much better track record, particularly with respect to scoring goals. But when I see the TPS highlights, there's just something about the puck-handling, vision, and style of movement in traffic that reminds me heavily of Kaprizov.

But despite the 148-pound Heponiemi having suited up for Florida three times this season, I just don't see a player with Iskhakov's type of body mass being an NHLer, much less an offensive impact player. There will have to be a considerable amount of core strength and body mass added along the way.

But if all goes right and he does manage to improve on the physique as he matures, Kaprizov is the type of player I can see him becoming.

Chap-

So understood on comparing style of play of Ish to Kaprizov, but when you say he needs "considerable physical growth" are you suggesting that he needs to pack on weight/muscle through diet, gym, just aging...

...Or that he needs to grow in height and without hopefully a late growth spurt that he won't make it in the NHL?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bridgeport has more trouble creating offence than the Isles do. Camera angle is funky. Focusing on Wilde, Bolduc, and Holmstrom.

Sorry to report this.

- Wilde turned over the puck in his zone, abeit it was a strange bounce off the glass
- Bolduc allowed a guy to beat him to the post, almost a goal on the tip
- Holmstrom not much to report, other than skates effortlessly.

I do want to see what Wilde can bring. He may be big for the Isles when the D turns over.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bode is going to have to clean up his D play, not picking on him. But he fanned on a clearing, Gave up a chance. No he does not remind me of Mayfield, yet.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bolduc got a wrist shot through with seconds left in the 2nd. Handcuffed the Goalie, his shot always seems to be dangerous. That's the one thing I notice about him, off wing too where he scored a goal earlier this year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Bridgeport has more trouble creating offence than the Isles do. Camera angle is funky. Focusing on Wilde, Bolduc, and Holmstrom.

Sorry to report this.

- Wilde turned over the puck in his zone, abeit it was a strange bounce off the glass
- Bolduc allowed a guy to beat him to the post, almost a goal on the tip
- Holmstrom not much to report, other than skates effortlessly.

I do want to see what Wilde can bring. He may be big for the Isles when the D turns over.
Fire Thompson.:sarcasm:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Parker Wotherspoon drafted in the Barzal draft showing some fight for the Isles, literally. Gets into it with Lauko. Providence announcers thought Lauko won, I would say it was a closer to a draw. But good lively scrap. I have been impressed by Lauko this game for a 3rd rd pick.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Gosh what a great post. For all the, "______ is going to be amazing/a bust," posts around here from people who've never really watched that prospect play, here's a well-informed and intelligent post based on actual observation and logical deduction. I love it.

Moar of this please...From anyone.

Honestly, I read this about all our prospects, including Wahlstrom.
Call them worst, 5th worst whatever, we have no idea... Not a clue.

Put them in Lou and Trotz system and we shall see. Some will fail, so won’t.

You can poopoo Holmstrom all you want, but I will give him time and he will get his chance.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Honestly, I read this about all our prospects, including Wahlstrom.
Call them worst, 5th worst whatever, we have no idea... Not a clue.

Put them in Lou and Trotz system and we shall see. Some will fail, so won’t.

You can poopoo Holmstrom all you want, but I will give him time and he will get his chance.
I've been watching Holmstrom today, he's a bit more noticeable than the game I saw him in 2 weeks ago. He is more support currently, than a player that drives. He is on the outside a lot. He did just have a good chance, think the puck was deflected and it missed the net. He needs to be more involved, but that may be just development.

Reactions: BarzyClub

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I've been watching Holmstrom today, he's a bit more noticeable than the game I saw him in 2 weeks ago. He is more support currently, than a player that drives. He is on the outside a lot. He did just have a good chance, think the puck was deflected and it missed the net. He needs to be more involved, but that may be just development.

He will be taught what to do and he will do it or he won’t. Lou thinks he is capable and that is why he picked him and that is why he is where he is.

I look at Brock Nelson going from 35-40 point guy to a 50+ point guy.
I see one of the worst defensive teams in the league go to one of the best.
I see a team missing the playoffs going to the semifinals two seasons after losing their best player.

Time will tell on our 2019 first rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: ekill08x
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad