Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
"Volvo plant here I come"

- Josh Ho-Sang, 2021
Like most here, I say I'm done with him but I can't help but watch.

It's kind of like rubbernecking at an accident on the side of the highway.

I really do hope he turns it around. At this point, I know it's remarkably unlikely and it's also not going to happen in this organization.

Pass the popcorn. :popcorn:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Expansion draft I think, have to leave some guys unprotected.

You can still expose him just the same if the contract was 2way for both years, and you only are required to expose one defenseman, which we will have covered with or without him. Not to mention, Aho will need to play at least 40 NHL games this season to cover the requirements to be that one exposed defenseman, otherwise we'll still have to expose another defenseman beyond him, so I kind of doubt that's the logic here.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Not the worst comparison, but I wouldn't hone in on him as a clone.

I'll try and think of an NHL player whose style Salo emulates...

read an article just after his draft year that compared with to Niklas Hjalmarsson.

the article was very critical on his overall skating and edge work- I know you have mentioned that as well - for those of you that have seen him most recently - has he refined his skating ?

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Dont think you could compare Salo to Hjalmarsson , if you only look at TOI Salo is his team nr 1 defender in PP and nr 6 in boxplay, by the way his team won today 3-2 , Salo has 3 second assist.

Reactions: buud

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Dont think you could compare Salo to Hjalmarsson , if you only look at TOI Salo is his team nr 1 defender in PP and nr 6 in boxplay, by the way his team won today 3-2 , Salo has 3 second assist.

I hear you, but will that translate over to the NHL.

And it wasn't my comparison - it was a hockey writer's comparison the year following his draft.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
the article was very critical on his overall skating and edge work- I know you have mentioned that as well - for those of you that have seen him most recently - has he refined his skating ?

His skating was a bit plodding at the time.

However, I saw him at the Ivan Hlinka when he was 16 and it certainly didn't stick out as a negative. He just looked like he had well-built and heavy legs for his age, with a wide stance. But getting from A to B in an advantageous manner was there.

What I'm seeing of him in Örebro shows me that skating is not a problem and as written a few pages back, particularly his ability to dance at the blueline sticks out. I'm enjoying him propensity to make not only the smart pass, but the simple pass.

I personally appreciate players (particularly Dmen) who don't experiment when safe plays are available and give teammates time and space to create.

On the down side, I can't say he's looking like a defensive beast in his own zone. He's more the pokechecking type.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

However, I saw him at the Ivan Hlinka when he was 16 and it certainly didn't stick out as a negative. He just looked like he had well-built and heavy legs for his age, with a wide stance. But getting from A to B in an advantageous manner was there.

What I'm seeing of him in Örebro shows me that skating is not a problem and as written a few pages back, particularly his ability to dance at the blueline sticks out. I'm enjoying him propensity to make not only the smart pass, but the simple pass.

I personally appreciate players (particularly Dmen) who don't experiment when safe plays are available and give teammates time and space to create.

On the down side, I can't say he's looking like a defensive beast in his own zone. He's more the pokechecking type.

A little lesser version of Toews it sounds like.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
A little lesser version of Toews it sounds like.
Calvin DeHaan always came to mind when we drafted Salo. Not a great skater but good hockey sense and good positionally. Good to hear that he’s improved his skating and mobility. Can’t wait til he comes over to see what Trotz can do with him.

Isles defensive prospect pool is pretty deep looks like we’re becoming Nashville “east”.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Hopefully a better hockey IQ than Toews. I thought Toews decision making with the puck was a problem for him as an Islander. Especially last season. He seemed to regress.

But he lacks the speed Toews had.

Reactions: MJF

SI

Feb 16, 2013

IF all goes well - a
Pelech, Bolduc, and Salo leftside is promising. I would love another piece on that left side

Reactions: danteipp

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
IF all goes well - a
Pelech, Bolduc, and Salo leftside is promising. I would love another piece on that left side

I've been saying this for a while. I know we need a high end forward in the worst way, but this draft class is chock full of LHD's and we could use one to really hedge our bets and solidify our left side to match the strength on our right side for the long term. I do like Bolduc and Salo, but a prospect with the upside to supplant Pelech down the road would be a very welcome addition. No pressure to rush the kid either as we are in good shape for at least the short term.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad