Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't continuously watch Greene on the ice, but based on a handful of advanced stats, he is typically in the Bailey, Ross and Timashov grouping as the least effective Islanders, while also far and away the worst Isles defenseman.

I haven’t really focused on Greene. But I would assume the decision to rest Greene will not be based on widely available advanced stats.

Andy Greene is microcosm of Trotz’s system. His game is positioning, winning one-on-one battles and blocking shots. If for example the opposition gets three shot attempts, but no quality chances that’s likely fine by Greene and Trotz standards.

But I would expect Trotz to give Greene a rest from time to time this year due to his age. Would help if the Isles could get in a comfortable position in order to do so.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I haven’t really focused on Greene. But I would assume the decision to rest Greene will not be based on widely available advanced stats.

Andy Greene is microcosm of Trotz’s system. His game is positioning, winning one-on-one battles and blocking shots. If for example the opposition gets three shot attempts, but no quality chances that’s likely fine by Greene and Trotz standards.

But I would expect Trotz to give Greene a rest from time to time this year due to his age. Would help if the Isles could get in a comfortable position in order to do so.

Here is the thing, how Greene is being deployed appears to have materially changed, at least so far this season.

Over the past five seasons, Greene has typically taken defensive zone starts (at even strength) in the range of anywhere from approximately 60-69% of the time, while getting only around 40-30% of the offensive zone starts.

Yet this season, he is only at 51.2% for defensive zone starts vs. 48.8% offensive zone starts.

With Toews and Boychuk gone, we could probably expect every Isles defenseman's role to change a bit, but Greene should still be seeing more defensive zone starts and, given his current abilities at 38 years old, is a complete blackhole offensively.

How Greene is being used, at even strength, simply doesn't make a lot of sense. Meanwhile, Scott Mayfield is making 59.3% defensive zone starts and has seemingly really emerged in that role for Trotz.

It is why I have said in the past that it might make more sense pairing Leddy and Dobson together (taking whatever lumps you have to from Dobson while he grows), especially to try and capitalize offensively on their abilities, then use Greene and Mayfield together, in a very defined role.

I know it is ultimately about Barry's system, but the usage is strange (just like Uncle Leo's usage), and it feels like there is still some upside to be had with some tweaks.

The Isles have also been lucky (at least so far, knock on wood) with respect to injuries on defense. However, I also wouldn't mind seeing Aho (or whoever they deem best, based on practice reps) get some experience now vs. being forced into an emergency role at crunchtime.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Here is the thing, how Greene is being deployed appears to have materially changed, at least so far this season.

Over the past five seasons, Greene has typically taken defensive zone starts (at even strength) in the range of anywhere from approximately 60-69% of the time, while getting only around 40-30% of the offensive zone starts.

Yet this season, he is only at 51.2% for defensive zone starts vs. 48.8% offensive zone starts.

With Toews and Boychuk gone, we could probably expect every Isles defenseman's role to change a bit, but Greene should still be seeing more defensive zone starts and, given his current abilities at 38 years old, is a complete blackhole offensively.

How Greene is being used, at even strength, simply doesn't make a lot of sense. Meanwhile, Scott Mayfield is making 59.3% defensive zone starts and has seemingly really emerged in that role for Trotz.

It is why I have said in the past that it might make more sense pairing Leddy and Dobson together (taking whatever lumps you have to from Dobson while he grows), especially to try and capitalize offensively on their abilities, then use Greene and Mayfield together, in a very defined role.

I know it is ultimately about Barry's system, but the usage is strange (just like Uncle Leo's usage), and it feels like there is still some upside to be had with some tweaks.

The Isles have also been lucky (at least so far, knock on wood) with respect to injuries on defense. However, I also wouldn't mind seeing Aho (or whoever they deem best, based on practice reps) get some experience now vs. being forced into an emergency role at crunchtime.

I think Greene's use has everything to do with being paired with Dobson. As Dobson continues to develop and improve, we may very well see him paired with Leddy, and Mayfield paired with Greene. At that point, Greene's deployment will be much better suited to his abilities.

Reactions: danteipp

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I especially agree with this. It was infuriating how many times the Snow/Capuano Isles in the very little playoff experience they had... still found ways to be forced to use untested d-man due to lack of depth. What was stupid, was that it was a product of deciding to have Brian Strait consistently in the lineup during the regular season.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
According to my eye test, Mayfield has been our worst defenseman, but according Corey Haber, it's Greene by a mile (latest Island Ice). Take that for what it's worth. But really, what did we expect from a 38 yr old guy who's been through the wars on mostly bad teams? He's not the physical freak that Chelios was or Chara is. We got a nice playoffs out of him but he should be defensive insurance and not an everyday guy, unfortunately that's where we are.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
2 more goals for William Dufour in the Q today. That’s 14 in 17 games.

First one started with a nice block of the opposition’s shot from the point in his own zone followed by him outskating the trailing Dman to score glove side on a breakaway.
Got a clip by any chance?

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
According to my eye test, Mayfield has been our worst defenseman, but according Corey Haber, it's Greene by a mile (latest Island Ice). Take that for what it's worth. But really, what did we expect from a 38 yr old guy who's been through the wars on mostly bad teams? He's not the physical freak that Chelios was or Chara is. We got a nice playoffs out of him but he should be defensive insurance and not an everyday guy, unfortunately that's where we are.

The video was up on the Q site and promptly taken down. Can’t find it now.

Both goals shorthanded btw.

Reactions: Uncle Duke

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Does anyone know why Aho is on IR? Is it legit, or is it the wink hang nail isles special? I would like to see him play on back to back game against a more favorable opponent. I like Greene, but I think he can be spelled some.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Dufour’s Drummondville team was up 2-0 then loses in OT 3-2 after he takes a penalty and the opponent scores on the PP.

Well, mostly good I suppose.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Does anyone know why Aho is on IR? Is it legit, or is it the wink hang nail isles special? I would like to see him play on back to back game against a more favorable opponent. I like Greene, but I think he can be spelled some.

On the taxi squad. Currently Dman #7.

In light of him not being in the line-up since Weight was the coach, seems like they just don't think much of him as an option.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
On the taxi squad. Currently Dman #7.

In light of him not being in the line-up since Weight was the coach, seems like they just don't think much of him as an option.
I dont know about that -- Lou resigned him just back in October to a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being 1way, so I do think Lou sees him as potentially being an NHL dman for the Islanders this season or next.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I dont know about that -- Lou resigned him just back in October to a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being 1way, so I do think Lou sees him as potentially being an NHL dman for the Islanders this season or next.
He hasn’t improved enough in his own end since he played here two years ago, offensively he is really good but his lack of size and defensive play holds him back.

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I think Greene's use has everything to do with being paired with Dobson. As Dobson continues to develop and improve, we may very well see him paired with Leddy, and Mayfield paired with Greene. At that point, Greene's deployment will be much better suited to his abilities.

That should definitely be the goal, to get Dobson comfortable enough where he can be paired with Leddy, then match Greene and Mayfield. So as to best maximize their individual strengths.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Greene has been solid defensively and scoring suppression, essentially what you would typically expect from him.

The problem is that he is the vet training aid for Dobson and put in too many offensive and possession situations, where he is simply an abomination.

The sooner Dobson is comfortable and paired with Leddy, with Greene and Mayfield together, the better it will be for the Isles.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Greene has been solid defensively and scoring suppression, essentially what you would typically expect from him.

The problem is that he is the vet training aid for Dobson and put in too many offensive and possession situations, where he is simply an abomination.

The sooner Dobson is comfortable and paired with Leddy, with Greene and Mayfield together, the better it will be for the Isles.
I like Greene, he's done everything asked of him and everything he was brought to the Isles to do but I think the "vet training" role, while a nice story line and justification, has been at least as much window dressing as actual fact. The number one reason he's playing is because he's the best we can do at the moment and so pairing him with Dobber makes the most sense.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He hasn’t improved enough in his own end since he played here two years ago, offensively he is really good but his lack of size and defensive play holds him back.
You could well be right, but all I'm pointing out is that apparently Lou thinks he'll be NHL ready within that timeframe, otherwise why else would he give him the 1way deal on the 2nd year?

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I like Greene, he's done everything asked of him and everything he was brought to the Isles to do but I think the "vet training" role, while a nice story line and justification, has been at least as much window dressing as actual fact. The number one reason he's playing is because he's the best we can do at the moment and so pairing him with Dobber makes the most sense.

To start the year, Barry seemingly attempted to pair Greene with Dobson as often as possible. Even if it was a detriment having an offensive blackhole, like Greene, get unnecessary offensive zone starts.

However, in looking at just this last game, Barry made a big change, instead of keeping Greene at a near 50/50 offensive vs defensive zone starts, Greene was deployed at 5-9, which is how he should be used.

If Barry is starting to relax his defensive pairings to try to exploit matchups and zone starts more, we will see Dobson with Leddy (or maybe even Pelech) and then Greene paired with Mayfield, who has seen ~60% defensive zone starts.

I don't think it is a coincidence that the Isles play arguably their most complete game by using the strengths of the defensemen to their best advantage. I want to see more of that.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Some notes:
- WHL scheduled to return to play in a few weeks

+ = on IR or just hurt

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Noah DobsonD2018 round 1 #121New York Islanders / NHL131564-1
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan104488-2
* New York Islanders / NHL610122
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan1111220
* Bridgeport / AHL30110-3
Sweden U20 Team505522
Josh Ho-SangRW2014 round 1 #28GRADOrebro HK / SHL50112-1
* Linkoping HC / SHL
Kieffer BellowsLW2016 round 1 #194New York Islanders / NHL700001
Bode WildeD2018 round 2 #415Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL20004-1
Arnaud DurandeauLW2017 round 6 #165 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL10000-2
A.J. GreerLWTrade Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL30114-2
Cole CoskeyRW2019 round 7 #209 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL110122
Robert CarpenterLW/CFA Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL32020-1
Parker WotherspoonD2015 round 4 #112 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL30004-2
Felix BibeauC2019 round 6 #178 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL201102
Mitchell Vande SompelD2015 round 3 #82 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL30112-2
Samuel BolducD2019 round 2 #577Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL311220
Sebastian AhoD2017 round 5 #1399New York Islanders / NHL000000
Grant HuttonDFA11Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL301141
Blade JenkinsLW/C2018 round 5 #134 Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL10000-1
Anatoli GolyshevLW/RW2016 round 4 #95 Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg / KHL47121527283
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #43 TPS / Liiga304162085
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4610Orebro HK / SHL39520251413
William DufourRW2020 round 5 #152 Drummondville Voltigeurs / QMJHL18141024262
Alexander LjungkrantzLW2020 round 3 #90 Brynas IF J20 / J20 Nationell168715127
Brynas IF / SHL1300000
* Stromsbro IF / Ettan963902
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183 * Pelicans / Liiga3015616-2
Finland U20 Team600002
Otto KoivulaC/LW2016 round 4 #1206HIFK / Liiga143811101
* Bridgeport Sound Tigers / AHL10000-2
Reece NewkirkC2019 round 5 #14713* Portland / WHL000000
Melville Millionaires / SJHL648122-
Jacob PivonkaC2018 round 4 #103 Univ. of Notre Dame / NCAA221348-7
Collin AdamsLW2016 round 6 #170 Univ. of North Dakota / NCAA207121987
Logan CockerillLW/RW2016 round 7 #201 Boston Univ. ("C") / NCAA641545
Christian KrygierD2018 round 7 #196 Michigan State Univ. / NCAA19123441
Benjamin MirageasD2017 round 3 #77 Providence College / NCAA19189166
Alex JefferiesLW2019 round 4 #12112Merrimack College / NCAA1146102-3
GOALIES GPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Ilya SorokinG2014 round 3 #781New York Islanders / NHL33.65.87100-2-1
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214 * IPK / Mestis113.26.87806-4-1
Kalpa / Liiga22.04.91701-1-0
Jakub SkarekG2018 round 3 #72 Pelitat / Mestis44.44.83300-3-1
* Bridgeport / AHL34.06.85700-3-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: buud

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
"Volvo plant here I come"

- Josh Ho-Sang, 2021
Like most here, I say I'm done with him but I can't help but watch.

It's kind of like rubbernecking at an accident on the side of the highway.

I really do hope he turns it around. At this point, I know it's remarkably unlikely and it's also not going to happen in this organization.

Pass the popcorn. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad