Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well, the key here for Ho-Sang is the 225 k in the AHL.

I believe he was previously earning 80 k in the AHL on his ELC.
Holding out for AHL money is a real weird move. He could have made $875,000 if he did what Trotz wanted him to last year. I guess there's not a lot of faith in JHS among general managers here and in Europe.

Josh Ho-Sang signed a CYA contract today.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Holding out for AHL money is a real weird move. He could have made $875,000 if he did what Trotz wanted him to last year. I guess there's not a lot of faith in JHS among general managers here and in Europe.

Josh Ho-Sang signed a CYA contract today.
I mean, it’s not a bad idea. If he really is legitimately black-listed he gets a substantial raise in the AHL. If he comes in, does everything the team asks and makes the team, great

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I mean, it’s not a bad idea. If he really is legitimately black-listed he gets a substantial raise in the AHL. If he comes in, does everything the team asks and makes the team, great
He's on another 1 year deal, so he'd better get his shit together now. There's no tomorrow for him. JHS's next deal might come from a PTO after this.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Slightly interesting in seeing what the Isles are thinking is that Ho-Sang and Greer have received 1-year contracts while Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel received 2-year deals.

As far as our own prospects are concerned, I believe no less than Newkirk, Adams, and Cockerill are up for signing (if desired) next summer. If I remember correctly, both Coskey and Bibeau are currently on 1-year AHL contracts, so they'd be looking to use next season to, I guess, prove worthy of an ELC. It's also conceivable that if Pivonka has a strong NCAA season, they could look to lock him up before his senior year.

On the defensive front, Mirageas is the only prospect who would need to be signed next summer in order to retain his rights.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Slightly interesting in seeing what the Isles are thinking is that Ho-Sang and Greer have received 1-year contracts while Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel received 2-year deals.
Getting arrested in Manhattan the previous summer doesn't automatically win the confidence of your new GM. Greer is going to have to earn a deal with longer term.

As for Ho-Sang, I'm sure the team never expected him to sign his QO, let alone request arbitration. Both parties are stuck with each other for another season. 25 years old when the new season begins and still a prospect, going to his 7th NHL training camp, isn't someone you bet on long term.

Reactions: NC 1972

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Getting arrested in Manhattan the previous summer doesn't automatically win the confidence of your new GM. Greer is going to have to earn a deal with longer term.

As for Ho-Sang, I'm sure the team never expected him to sign his QO, let alone request arbitration. Both parties are stuck with each other for another season. 25 years old when the new season begins and still a prospect, going to his 7th NHL training camp, isn't someone you bet on long term.
Ho-Sang may be the exception to the rule, in that he definitely has the skills to play NHL hockey... but he just needs to get out of his own way

Reactions: isles309

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
+ = on IR or just hurt

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
+ Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan62242-4
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan81122-1
Sweden U20 Team000000
Anatoli GolyshevLW/RW2016 round 4 #95NRAvtomobilist Yekaterinburg/KHL197714247
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439TPS / Liiga923540
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620Orebro HK / SHL131344-3
William DufourRW2020 round 5 #152NRDrummondville Voltigeurs / QMJHL203342
Alexander LjungkrantzLW2020 round 3 #90NRBrynas IF J20 / J20 Nationell158715108
* Brynas IF / SHL200000
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183NRPelicans / Liiga1000061
* Pelicans U20 / U20 SM-Sarja000000
Otto KoivulaC/LW2016 round 4 #120 HIFK / Liiga72350-2
GOALIES GPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214NRIPK / Mestis62.31.89904-1-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No worries, was an easy mistake to make. But yeah, a lot of people look down on a player for doing well in a winning environment, but often times you have players that are only good on a bad team (Islanders fans will remember Czerkawski, for example). So it should be considered a good sign when a player is also capable of being playing well in that situation, since ideally that's the situation you want them to be playing in anyway.
And Jason Blake, lol.

Reactions: Seph

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Tikannen seems like he has a solid record in the Mestis, but his stats seem odd in comparison. Is his team just an offensive juggernaut?

I thought this was interesting, that I hasn't read before.
"He was someone that was identified because of his size and his agility and his improvement from last year to this year," Lamoriello said. "In saying that, we had our goalie department go and see him. We watched films here, all of the above. We felt that he would be there in the sixth and seventh round. Actually, we submitted his name - his name was not on the eligibility list - we submitted his name to get him eligible. I don't think you can ever have enough goalies."

How is this a thing? Why wasn't he eligible?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
+ = on IR or just hurt

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
+ Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan62242-4
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan81122-1
Sweden U20 Team000000
Anatoli GolyshevLW/RW2016 round 4 #95NRAvtomobilist Yekaterinburg/KHL197714247
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439TPS / Liiga923540
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620Orebro HK / SHL131344-3
William DufourRW2020 round 5 #152NRDrummondville Voltigeurs / QMJHL203342
Alexander LjungkrantzLW2020 round 3 #90NRBrynas IF J20 / J20 Nationell158715108
* Brynas IF / SHL200000
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183NRPelicans / Liiga1000061
* Pelicans U20 / U20 SM-Sarja000000
Otto KoivulaC/LW2016 round 4 #120HIFK / Liiga72350-2
GOALIESGPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214NRIPK / Mestis62.31.89904-1-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Do any of these teams livestream their games?

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Is this the appropriate thread for this?

Late start seems odd to me but I suppose they have to put forth some plan of action.

COVID is clearly ramping up in the States though I don't know about Canada. It's unrealistic to think we'll have a highly effective, universally available vaccine that will be embraced by the overwhelming majority of the population within 3 months.

But then again, for hockey purposes only they could mandate vaccinations for players and staff. Even with that in place, will they get paying customers to watch in person games if COVID infections spike?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Tikannen seems like he has a solid record in the Mestis, but his stats seem odd in comparison. Is his team just an offensive juggernaut?

I thought this was interesting, that I hasn't read before.

How is this a thing? Why wasn't he eligible?

I believe that not everyone who is eligible is actually officially listed by the league. If that were the case, then imagine the tens of thousands of 18-21 year old kids across North America alone who they'd have to track down and list in advance.

The NHL actually has a list with (I believe) roughly 600 names of the most likely draft candidates and if a team wants a kid who is technically eligible, but not on that list, they have to officially request he be placed on it.

But I think it's little more than a formality.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Late start seems odd to me but I suppose they have to put forth some plan of action.

COVID is clearly ramping up in the States though I don't know about Canada. It's unrealistic to think we'll have a highly effective, universally available vaccine that will be embraced by the overwhelming majority of the population within 3 months.

But then again, for hockey purposes only they could mandate vaccinations for players and staff. Even with that in place, will they get paying customers to watch in person games if COVID infections spike?
The Q has been back for a month. Max 2000 fans locally here in Hfx. And they're body checking... ;)

Reactions: MJF and TMI

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Q has been back for a month. Max 2000 fans locally here in Hfx. And they're body checking... ;)

Are fans going to games and how does this compare to prior years?

If the numbers are low, one has to wonder whether that revenue can sustain operations for the league.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Are fans going to games and how does this compare to prior years?

If the numbers are low, one has to wonder whether that revenue can sustain operations for the league.
They're consistently drawing ~1900 (the practical max). The arena for Halifax normally holds around 9-10k, so not ideal. But we've got one of the bigger arenas (I think we're the only Q team that flies charter instead of taking the bus). Some of the rural Quebec arenas only fold a few thousand. How sustainable is it? I dunno. But I think they also get some TV $$, but it's definitely a gate-driven league.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Not all teams are back. There are a bunch of Quebec teams not playing. I think it was all 12 at one point.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I believe that not everyone who is eligible is actually officially listed by the league. If that were the case, then imagine the tens of thousands of 18-21 year old kids across North America alone who they'd have to track down and list in advance.

The NHL actually has a list with (I believe) roughly 600 names of the most likely draft candidates and if a team wants a kid who is technically eligible, but not on that list, they have to officially request he be placed on it.

But I think it's little more than a formality.
My question then is, wouldn't that alert other teams of your intent to draft said player? How does one maintain the secrecy of the draft in notifying the league and are teams privy to this request?

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
They're consistently drawing ~1900 (the practical max). The arena for Halifax normally holds around 9-10k, so not ideal. But we've got one of the bigger arenas (I think we're the only Q team that flies charter instead of taking the bus). Some of the rural Quebec arenas only fold a few thousand. How sustainable is it? I dunno. But I think they also get some TV $$, but it's definitely a gate-driven league.
I'm surprised that many people will go to a game but it's encouraging from a league perspective.

As for local AHL hockey, if the Sound Tigers were to play a game I think they might get 1000 fans. If I'm right, then without support from the parent clubs it's hard to see the AHL playing anywhere near a full season until the pandemic is better controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad