Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ooops, you're right.

I meant to remove Sorokin's name before I posted.

The pickings are really slim and you're definitely right about the lack of blue chippers. There really aren't any. Wahlstrom sure LOOKED like one a few years ago and he still has the best overall chance of being just that, but his two post-draft seasons haven't indicated it.

I knew about and liked Holmstrom last summer, but I saw him as a 2nd rounder the entire way. Honestly, I couldn't believe we'd skip out on Tomasino unless it was for Kaliyev or possibly even McMichael or Suzuki. A sniper for the wing or center depth were our most glaring needs and all four of those kids looked like just what the doctor ordered, while Pelletier and Beecher looked like guys you'd describe as being Lou-boys.

That we took Holmstrom was a good bit of a shock.

And for those who are curious, well, basically EVERY player I just named who was taken after Holmstrom friggin KILLED it this year. The whole lot of them.

It doesn't have to mean anything though. There's plenty of time.
I am hoping Bolduc is the sleeper of the bunch. I know some like Wilde, but who knows maybe Bolduc can be a Pelech type of gem. Perhaps a Pelech with a tad more offence.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The one thing I remember about him pre-draft was that he is a very good skater for such a big man, and we all know how important that is in this modern day NHL.

Saw him at the Prospect Camp last summer and his skating definitely stood out for a big kid. He wasn't a skinny big kid either, he was noticeably bigger than everyone else.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
Saw him at the Prospect Camp last summer and his skating definitely stood out for a big kid. He wasn't a skinny big kid either, he was noticeably bigger than everyone else.

I'm intrigued by Bolduc as well, put up 27 pts in 29 games after being traded after being traded to Sherbrooke. Haven't seen him more than camp videos and preseasons, but reports are favorable and he's got NHL size. I think he's a possible but likely not in the immediate future plans.

Chapin, I believe its you who's pretty high on Salo as well. Between him and Bolduc, hopefully we'll get one NHLer to play with Pelech and Toews on the left side.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm intrigued by Bolduc as well, put up 27 pts in 29 games after being traded after being traded to Sherbrooke. Haven't seen him more than camp videos and preseasons, but reports are favorable and he's got NHL size. I think he's a possible but likely not in the immediate future plans.

Chapin, I believe its you who's pretty high on Salo as well. Between him and Bolduc, hopefully we'll get one NHLer to play with Pelech and Toews on the left side.

Yes, we're covered on the left side and both Bolduc and Salo should become capable NHLers.

The question is not so much if, but rather when.

As an aside on Bolduc, in case anyone has missed it, he apparently killed it at the draft combine and is a fitness beast to boot. So, big, can skate, can shoot, and can punish, even if that aspect hasn't been as required of him in the Q.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Agree with everything said about Bolduc. The nice thing about him is that we can be very patient with him and let him develop at his own pace. I for one still hold out hope for Aho to step in and possibly contribute. We really need to see what he can do over a full season and evaluate if he has the goods to stay. From a pure economics standpoint, Leddy should be shopped and see if there is a taker for him for picks. No doubt that his skill and experience will be missed, it's just that Isles have to look for places to not be so close to the cap and our defense could be a position that could absorb a hit.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Agree with everything said about Bolduc. The nice thing about him is that we can be very patient with him and let him develop at his own pace. I for one still hold out hope for Aho to step in and possibly contribute. We really need to see what he can do over a full season and evaluate if he has the goods to stay. From a pure economics standpoint, Leddy should be shopped and see if there is a taker for him for picks. No doubt that his skill and experience will be missed, it's just that Isles have to look for places to not be so close to the cap and our defense could be a position that could absorb a hit.

Actually, to be direct, Lou must find a way to move Leddy or Boychuk (if not both) sooner rather than later.

We are already EXTREMELY tight in the non-growing budget and unless we get team-friendly negotiations, it doesn't even look like Barzal, Pulock, and Toews can be re-signed under the expected cap, much less seeing Sorokin get an ELC that expires ASAP so that he can then get an RFA contract around the 2.5 MM he's been earning in Russia. The expected stagnating cap just doesn't allow it.

A compliance buyout allowed by the league may be our ONLY saving grace.

I've held back from saying it, but Lou might otherwise be forced to dangle Wahlstrom, Bellows, and the 2021 1st in order to move some of our unwanted salary. That's what Covid has brought us to.

In addition, if Leddy and Boychuk are here for another two years, there's NO WAY we're finding out anything about Aho, MVS or Hutton's chances here unless the lack of the aforementioned's movement means Lou has to package away guys like Toews and Mayfield to get some breathing room, both of whom are far more marketable than our expensive vets.

It's a sad reality to contemplate and it may be ours by the time whatever happens with this summer's SC shenanigans are over.

If these unfortunate circumstances become a reality, we are REALLY going to need the Bolducs, Salos, Wildes, Holmstroms, and Newkirks of the world to turn into real, impact NHL options.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Actually, to be direct, Lou must find a way to move Leddy or Boychuk (if not both) sooner rather than later.

We are already EXTREMELY tight in the non-growing budget and unless we get team-friendly negotiations, it doesn't even look like Barzal, Pulock, and Toews can be re-signed under the expected cap, much less seeing Sorokin get an ELC that expires ASAP so that he can then get an RFA contract around the 2.5 MM he's been earning in Russia. The expected stagnating cap just doesn't allow it.

I've held back from saying it, but Lou might otherwise be forced to dangle Wahlstrom, Bellows, and the 2021 1st in order to move some of our unwanted salary. That's what Covid has brought us to.

In addition, if Leddy and Boychuk are here for another two years, there's NO WAY we're finding out anything about Aho, MVS or Hutton's chances here unless the lack of the aforementioned's movement means Lou has to package away guys like Toews and Mayfield to get some breathing room, both of whom are far more marketable than our expensive vets.

It's a sad reality to contemplate and it may be ours by the time whatever happens with this summer's SC shenanigans are over.

If these unfortunate circumstances become a reality, we are REALLY going to need the Bolducs, Salos, Wildes, Holmstroms, and Newkirks of the world to turn into real, impact NHL options.
I would never WANT to trade Leddy, but moving him would bring us the best opportunity for a usable asset in return. Boychuk would only get us cap relief.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020

It's definitely going to be a busy summer for Lou. I think he's going to have to make multiple deals to clean up this cap situation. I think both Leddy and Boychuk are movable but to different teams in different situations. For example, Leddy's contract pays more than his cap hit. We'll need a team that finds that type of contract favorable, likely a bigger market team that can afford the extra dollars spent. Boychuk is the opposite. I really don't know if he'll be a straight dump as some are saying. He still can play a valuable role, especially for the right team. His cap hit of 6 mil is higher than his salary of 4 mil, 2 mil of which is a signing bonus. Perhaps we find a team that wants to pay less for a higher cap hit. Both types of teams are out there, its just about striking the right deal, something I trust Lou to do.

I'm not sure I see them moving Mayfield or Toews unless absolutely pressed into it. One, we really don't have replacements ready for those types of players. Plus, after Toews signs to a reasonable contract after having a down year compared to last year, him and Mayfield's contract will be necessary to balance out some of our heavier contracts on forwards. I think we're more likely to see some of the other, elc players you mention shipped out.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's definitely going to be a busy summer for Lou. I think he's going to have to make multiple deals to clean up this cap situation. I think both Leddy and Boychuk are movable but to different teams in different situations. For example, Leddy's contract pays more than his cap hit. We'll need a team that finds that type of contract favorable, likely a bigger market team that can afford the extra dollars spent. Boychuk is the opposite. I really don't know if he'll be a straight dump as some are saying. He still can play a valuable role, especially for the right team. His cap hit of 6 mil is higher than his salary of 4 mil, 2 mil of which is a signing bonus. Perhaps we find a team that wants to pay less for a higher cap hit. Both types of teams are out there, its just about striking the right deal, something I trust Lou to do.

I'm not sure I see them moving Mayfield or Toews unless absolutely pressed into it. One, we really don't have replacements ready for those types of players. Plus, after Toews signs to a reasonable contract after having a down year compared to last year, him and Mayfield's contract will be necessary to balance out some of our heavier contracts on forwards. I think we're more likely to see some of the other, elc players you mention shipped out.

The market will decides what happens.

We're working on the premises that the cap is remaining exactly as is. Most every team in the league has been creating contracts with the belief that the cap would rise 2+ million every season, if not more.

A stagnating cap is going to turn MANY teams into introverts on the trade market, because almost no-one will be wanting to take on contract in this climate and the handful of teams who can will suddenly have a major advantage and can lower the return on players they can take on.

What we really don't know is exactly how the player agents of considerable RFAs, to which Barzal and Pulock belong, are going to react knowing that the teams are in a crunch.

But we do know that we're stuck with the Ladds, Komarovs, Clutterbucks, and likely Boychuks of the world.

As mentioned, getting a sanctioned CBO (it'll surely be Ladd) AND actually getting something of minor value for Leddy would be a saving grace and a huge win in light of the upcoming challenges teams will have.

I cannot imagine what teams like Tampa Bay and St. Louis are going to have to do to remove some salary.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Boychuck will be far easier to move once the 20/21 season kicks in. His salary, after being paid his signing bonus, is only $1.250.000 for each of his two remaining seasons, so the total will be in excess of $5 million for two full years. That is a good price for a team looking for a servicable defenseman and taking on some cap hit.

I excppect both Komarov, Hickey and Ladd will be demoted to save some cap hit

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Boychuck will be far easier to move once the 20/21 season kicks in. His salary, after being paid his signing bonus, is only $1.250.000 for each of his two remaining seasons, so the total will be in excess of $5 million for two full years. That is a good price for a team looking for a servicable defenseman and taking on some cap hit.

But wait, that only means that the team acquiring him would only be paying him 1.25 MM, yet it would still count as 6 MM against the cap. I believe that's how things work with these signing bonuses. And it's the cap hit that would most be impending any moving of Boychuk or Leddy or Ladd or even Clutterbuck and Komarov.

I expect both Komarov, Hickey and Ladd will be demoted to save some cap hit

The thing here is that every AHL team may only have 3(!) players with 265 games or more of "pro" experience. There's a similar ruling for the ECHL as well.

This is one of the reasons you'll often see fairly good AHLers and ECHLers playing in some of the second rate leagues around Europe, because they eventually "experience-gain" their way out of AHL eligibility.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
But wait, that only means that the team acquiring him would only be paying him 1.25 MM, yet it would still count as 6 MM against the cap. I believe that's how things work with these signing bonuses. And it's the cap hit that would most be impending any moving of Boychuk or Leddy or Ladd or even Clutterbuck and Komarov.

The thing here is that every AHL team may only have 3(!) players with 265 games or more of "pro" experience. There's a similar ruling for the ECHL as well.

This is one of the reasons you'll often see fairly good AHLers and ECHLers playing in some of the second rate leagues around Europe, because they eventually "experience-gain" their way out of AHL eligibility.

Moving Boychuck will only be possible to a team that wants or needs to take on cap hit. And possibly a team looking for veterant leadership as well. It's not easy but Lou can get it done, I'm sure. The Islanders might have to take on something of little value in return but I suppose it can be done.

I would not be surprised to see them go back to Minny to thrash out the Ladd for Parise deal they were working on at the deadline.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Moving Boychuck will only be possible to a team that wants or needs to take on cap hit. And possibly a team looking for veterant leadership as well. It's not easy but Lou can get it done, I'm sure. The Islanders might have to take on something of little value in return but I suppose it can be done.

I would not be surprised to see them go back to Minny to thrash out the Ladd for Parise deal they were working on at the deadline.

I just do not know how?

As things are now, Parise carries a - are you ready - 7.5+ MM cap hit for 5(!!!) more seasons.

That is PURE INSANITY! Absolute craziness in the current climate.

Clayton Keller is almost as bad at 7.15 MM for the next 6 seasons, but at least he's like 15 years younger.

We can't possibly unload enough contract on Minnesota to make that deal a financially sound one.

On the other hand, if there IS a CBO and Parise is bought out by Minnesota, then I'm like 98% sure he's coming here. Of that, I have little doubt.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
I just do not know how?

As things are now, Parise carries a - are you ready - 7.5+ MM cap hit for 5(!!!) more seasons.

Clayton Keller is almost as bad at 7.15 MM for the next 6 seasons, but at least he's like 15 years younger.

We can't possibly unload enough contract on Minnesota to make that deal a financially sound one.

On the other hand, if there IS a CBO and Parise is bought out by Minnesota, then I'm like 98% sure he's coming here. Of that, I have little doubt.
What are your thoughts on a deal around Leddy and Nylander with other pieces to balance the trade? It would have to be accompanied by other moves as we take on salary in that trade but we could take advantage of Toronto being in an even tighter cap crunch than we are. Especially if there is a CBO, I don't see anyone on that roster that they would use it on that would provide much help

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What are your thoughts on a deal around Leddy and Nylander with other pieces to balance the trade? It would have to be accompanied by other moves as we take on salary in that trade but we could take advantage of Toronto being in an even tighter cap crunch than we are. Especially if there is a CBO, I don't see anyone on that roster that they would use it on that would provide much help

Always wanted to see Nylander here. Saw him live on a number of occasions from 15 onwards and had interviewed him several times leading up to his draft.

He was the guy I wanted drafted at #5 overall the year we took Dal Colle.

Thought we should have gone after him HARD last summer, when he was coming off a down year after the whole contract hassle and the Leafs were in cap conundrums. Looked like the time to bite.

Toronto's one MAJOR need is still a top 4/5 Dman who is big, snarly, and can play against the opponent's best players - and has a sweetheart contract that fits in their budgetary plans.

That man is Mayfield. He fits like a glove.

Sure, any such move would have to include added pieces here and there, but Nylander would be a HUGE boost to the creativity on this team - and he can really shoot the biscuit as well - while Mayfield is everything Toronto needs.

Another thing speaking against Nylander being available though is the poor year Jeremy Bracco had. There was a time there where people felt he could step right in for Nylander if Willy were to be moved. Not looking that way now.

As such, I think any move for Nylander would have to begin with Mayfield and Wahlstrom. I mean, begin.

What we also can't forget here is that Lamoriello was in Toronto during Nylander's kick-off time with that organization. He surely has a very concrete opinion on who William is and if he'd want him on his team.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Maybe this discussion should move out of this thread, but I did want to respond... sorry for the lengthy response.

Unfortunately, a CBO or amnesty buyout is not going to be granted.
And that puts about half the league with serious work to do this offseason to get under the cap.
Isles are not alone in this. I can't imagine what Tampa will need to do to achieve this.

This will certainly have a negative impact on free agents - UFAs and RFAs, so maybe a deal that sends out Mayfield for Kapanen doesn't make sense, especially when Craig Smith could be signed for under market value and for very little term (most likely only a year).

The trade market will be supersaturated with many established players being moved for a very low price.
Two ways I have envisioned the Isles creating cap space is to
  1. Sell something of value (prospect, #1 pick, top 4 dman) with a replacement-level player making more $ than they are worth, i.e., Komarov, Clutterbuck, or Hickey.
  2. Trading a bad contract for another bad contract - Ladd for Parise or Ladd for Skinner or Ladd for Ryan or Ladd for Neal or Ladd for Lucic
  3. Trading a bad contract that is buyout proof for another bad contract that is NOT buyout proof… Ladd for Schneider or Ladd for Abdelkader.
Example, #1
  • Instead of trading Leddy for picks to a team like the Kings, Canadiens, RedWings, or Senators (who have a plethora of draft picks and have a need on the LH side of their blueline), the Isles could try to attach a Leo Komarov or a Cal Clutterbuck with Leddy to a team with the cap space. The Devils fit such criteria. The Devils will need to improve their blueline, so instead of handing out a 4 or 5-year deal to a player like Joel Edmundson or Sami Vatanen for similar AAV, maybe trading a pick and taking on 2 years of Komarov (whose bonus was paid out today) is worth it to them. My trade pitch would be Leddy and Komarov for 2021 2nd (original Isles pick) and maybe that pick gets lowered to a 3rd and/or b prospect. This move would clear 8.5 million in cap space. Devils get their upgrade on the blue line at a good cap hit and for great term. Leddy would be a great caddy for Ty Smith too. Other teams that fit these criteria are the Winnipeg Jets and the Detroit Red Wings.
Example, #2
  • Trading Andrew Ladd for Zach Parise or the like. This could be revisited, but the Isles will need to add something of value here to make this work for the Wild. This is a unique situation because of the recapture penalty. I am not a fan of taking on the Parise cap hit for the next 5 years. The Isles could add Clutterbuck or Komarov to that deal for the Isles to be able to fit Parise under the cap, but I dread those final 2-3 years as well as what the plus is going to the Wild? A #1? Bellows?
  • Ladd for Ryan would be a deal that Melynk and the Senators would do in a heartbeat now that the bonus $ has been paid out. Ottawa cares more about actual dollars these days than cap space. Ryan is owed $13 million in actual $ up thru the 2022 season. Ladd is only owed $9 million ($ 8 million on a buyout) spread out through 2023. Here is a very enticing detail of such a deal - Ryan would be paid 5.5 million for the run of the 20/21 season. Ladd would need to be paid .667K that is an actual savings of almost 5 million. And Melnyk gets the 4.833 cap hit on a buyout. In order for such a deal to work, the Senators would have to take on Thomas Hickey’s contract, which is also financially beneficial to the Senators; Hickey’s contract had a bonus of 1.25 paid out a couple of days to his 20/21 salary. BUT, can Ryan still play? Is it worth it?
Example #3
  • I have been beating this drum for awhile and I think it can work. Ladd for a bad contract that is NOT buyout proof. Two main targets Schneider and Abdelkader. Ladd’s buyout would carry a $4.833 cap hit. If he is buried, he carries 4.425 cap hit. Schneider and Abdelkader buyout would save Isles 2.5 million in cap space for at least the next 3 seasons. There would need to be something attached for the Devils or Red Wings to do a deal like this. My pitch - Ladd and Bellows for Abdelkader? Ladd and Bellows for Schneider?
If the Isles were able to strike deals in example 1 and 3 that would open up 10.5 million in cap space.
The truth is it’s going to take some risk, creativity, and a little bit of pain to create the cap space needed.

Last edited:

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I just do not know how?

A big no to including Bellows or Wally to Min for them to take Ladd.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Maybe this discussion should move out of this thread, but I did want to respond... sorry for the lengthy response.

Unfortunately, a CBO or amnesty buyout is not going to be granted.
And that puts about half the league with serious work to do this offseason to get under the cap.
Isles are not alone in this. I can't imagine what Tampa will need to do to achieve this.

Lots of good thoughts in that post, but uhh, where are you getting the bolded from?

PLEASE don't tell me you're inferring that from one of the recent articles from Elliott Friedman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad