Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In that case, I'm all for it. 2 years at UConn got him used to playing with young men and now he can get some experience in professional hockey. He's not a bad skater, he's just not a speedster and he's really highly skilled. Stash him away for a year or two and maybe he's a surprise. Not thrilled that we used a 2nd for him.

As Chapin pointed out, I'm curious if the organization gave their blessing to this since it's become really obvious that they prefer keeping all their kids under their direct control.
It also got him used to playing on the smaller ice surface. Maybe he feels the North American game doesn't agree with him.

Edit: Or it could be for money as was pointed out.

scott99

May 13, 2005
My bet is we will never see Iskhakov in an Isle's jersey. Just not an elite prospect. I've said it a billion times, I'm sure you remember my Cammarata rants, if you're tiny, you have to have great speed. Just like Cammarata, Iskhakov is not a great skater.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Avtomobilist team representatives have confirmed that Golyshev is free to go to the NHL after the coming KHL season. If the next NHL season starts late and Avtomobilist aren't too far in the playoffs, it could be interesting.

Do you believe the KHL will begin on time?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Avtomobilist team representatives have confirmed that Golyshev is free to go to the NHL after the coming KHL season. If the next NHL season starts late and Avtomobilist aren't too far in the playoffs, it could be interesting.

What's he looking like? 15-25 third line winger?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What's he looking like? 15-25 third line winger?

In the previous season he looked like a legit middle-six winger, who I would expect to get around 25-35 points in his debut season (obviously, considering a full season) if everything is good. This season injury spoiled a big part of it, as it slowed him down at the start and even in the second half you could still feel the impact of it. So at the current point I'm not sure about the projection, but I'm also not sure if that matters too much, since if he won't get back to that last season's shape I doubt it will make any sense for him to move to NA at all.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
In the previous season he looked like a legit middle-six winger, who I would expect to get around 25-35 points in his debut season (obviously, considering a full season) if everything is good. This season injury spoiled a big part of it, as it slowed him down at the start and even in the second half you could still feel the impact of it. So at the current point I'm not sure about the projection, but I'm also not sure if that matters too much, since if he won't get back to that last season's shape I doubt it will make any sense for him to move to NA at all.
Thanks for your great info. How is this guys skating? NHL quality? Isles could use some younger legs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone know how Ruslan Iskhakov progressed this season? He was a sneaky surprise pick when the Isles went off the board to pick him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Anyone know how Ruslan Iskhakov progressed this season? He was a sneaky surprise pick when the Isles went off the board to pick him.

Point-wise, there was no progression. He had the same amount of points as in his freshman year.

What he thinks of his development in the college game may very well be symbolized by his recent move to TPS of Liiga, where he's scheduled to play next season.

It's certainly not very orthodox of this organization to see one of its prospects jump from college in order to go (back) to Europe. Since Lou has been here, they seem to have wanted to have their boys in Bridgeport ASAP.

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Point-wise, there was no progression. He had the same amount of points as in his freshman year.

What he thinks of his development in the college game may very well be symbolized by his recent move to TPS of Liiga, where he's scheduled to play next season.

It's certainly not very orthodox of this organization to see one of its prospects jump form college in order to go back to Europe. Since Lou has been here, they seem to have wanted to have their boys in Bridgeport ASAP.
Ruslan said he wanted to stay at UConn but due to the Coronavirus his family needed the money. Can’t blame a kid for leaving to try to support his family. Reading UConn message boards they were mostly positive on Ruslan. Quite a few fans said he was there most creative and best playmaker on the team.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I know it's tough scouting, interviewing and drafting European players, especially Russian prospects with the money they can make in the KHL, but we have to be 1. Smart about who were are drafting from russia (try and find guys who will be willing to leave the KHL sooner rather than later) and 2. willing to pay extra to get them here when necessary. That being said, we can't waste a 2nd round pick on a player who may never play for the Isles and by that I don't mean just being a bust of a 2nd rounder and just not reaching potential.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I know it's tough scouting, interviewing and drafting European players, especially Russian prospects with the money they can make in the KHL, but we have to be 1. Smart about who were are drafting from russia (try and find guys who will be willing to leave the KHL sooner rather than later) and 2. willing to pay extra to get them here when necessary.

I think number 1 is always a gamble and in Iskhakov's case, the team knew he was heading to UConn before he was taken. That's a pretty safe gamble.

Point number 2 seems a bit irrelevant. No matter what, the NHL team will always have to wait until the (possibly existing) KHL contract has concluded and then can only offer the player a maximum ELC. If it's a guy like Sorokin or Kaprizov, then you have to get creative. Corona has ended our ability to take the most creative and lucrative route for Sorokin. He's in a unique position and kind of holds the cards.

But as far as I know, an NHL team isn't even permitted to buy out a guy's KHL contract, even if willing. The KHL doesn't allow it.

That being said, we can't waste a 2nd round pick on a player who may never play for the Isles and by that I don't mean just being a bust of a 2nd rounder and just not reaching potential.

About whom do you speak?

No book has been completely written for any second rounders taken in the past 4-5 seasons.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I think number 1 is always a gamble and in Iskhakov's case, the team knew he was heading to UConn before he was taken. That's a pretty safe gamble.

Point number 2 seems a bit irrelevant. No matter what, the NHL team will always have to wait until the (possibly existing) KHL contract has concluded and then can only offer the player a maximum ELC. If it's a guy like Sorokin or Kaprizov, then you have to get creative. Corona has ended our ability to take the most creative and lucrative route for Sorokin. He's in a unique position and kind of holds the cards.

But as far as I know, an NHL team isn't even permitted to buy out a guy's KHL contract, even if willing. The KHL doesn't allow it.

About whom do you speak?

No book has been completely written for any second rounders taken in the past 4-5 seasons.

I meant more of going forward we should be more cautious when picking a 2nd rounder with an increased chance of just going back to the KHL if things don't work out. You are right 2nd rounders, in the past 4-5 seasons do have a chance to be contributors to the NHL team that drafted them.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I meant more of going forward we should be more cautious when picking a 2nd rounder with an increased chance of just going back to the KHL if things don't work out. You are right 2nd rounders, in the past 4-5 seasons do have a chance to be contributors to the NHL team that drafted them.

In general, I am totally on the "Not into drafting Russians unless you've got lots of picks to work with" boat.

And the days of grabbing a Datsyuk in the 5th or 6th round are basically a thing of the past. Alone YouTube has come to ensure that.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Ishakov will be an NHLer or at least give it a shot. You don't just pick up and leave to a western country and join a hockey program, only to go back because you always wanted to play in the KHL. He has the best shot in his family to help them out and I am sure that's the only reason he's doing this. Komarov left to play in Finland for a year to help his family too. Apparently he plays tax free and gave his entire salary to his family for that year.

That's just the kind of sacrifice or mentality to sacrifice that this team is looking for. He's done well for NCAA hockey considering a higher pick in Bellows couldn't put it together until much later on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm looking at the Isles draft since 2015, and not much impact since Barzal and Beauvillier. I think Dobson will join this list, but someone else will have to step up from the other picks. Right now looking at the names, I just don't know who?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm looking at the Isles draft since 2015, and not much impact since Barzal and Beauvillier. I think Dobson will join this list, but someone will have to step up from the other picks. Right now looking at the names, I just don't know who?

It's going to have to be Sorokin, Wahlstrom and/or Bellows. They're the top 3 and the only ones with (forseeable) impact potential.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's going to have to be Sorokin, Wahlstrom and/or Bellows. They're the top 3 and the only ones with (forseeable) impact potential.
Yeah Sorokin is 2014, and yes, when ever he comes over, hopefully sooner than later. He is probably the most impactful of the bunch if he is as good as I believe and what others are saying about him.

The pickings are slim after that. I was thinking Holmstrom. But let's say after Dobson, who is blue chip material. It's just a guess right now.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yeah Sorokin is 2014, and yes, when ever he comes over, hopefully sooner than later. He is probably the most impactful of the bunch if he is as good as I believe and what others are saying about him.

Ooops, you're right.

I meant to remove Sorokin's name before I posted.

The pickings are slim after that. I was thinking Holmstrom. But let's say after Dobson, who is blue chip material. It's just a guess right now.

The pickings are really slim and you're definitely right about the lack of blue chippers. There really aren't any. Wahlstrom sure LOOKED like one a few years ago and he still has the best overall chance of being just that, but his two post-draft seasons haven't indicated it.

I knew about and liked Holmstrom last summer, but I saw him as a 2nd rounder the entire way. Honestly, I couldn't believe we'd skip out on Tomasino unless it was for Kaliyev or possibly even McMichael or Suzuki. A sniper for the wing or center depth were our most glaring needs and all four of those kids looked like just what the doctor ordered, while Pelletier and Beecher looked like guys you'd describe as being Lou-boys.

That we took Holmstrom was a good bit of a shock.

And for those who are curious, well, basically EVERY player I just named who was taken after Holmstrom friggin KILLED it this year. The whole lot of them.

It doesn't have to mean anything though. There's plenty of time.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad