Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Lots of good thoughts in that post, but uhh, where are you getting the bolded from?

PLEASE don't tell me you're inferring that from one of the recent articles from Elliott Friedman?

Well Elliotte has dropped it a couple of times in the last month -

This tweet from Mckenzie, who has been on top of this stuff in the last few days.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Isles should loan Simon Holmstrom, Jacob Skarek, and potentially Oliver Wahlstrom to play in Europe next season.
Who knows if the AHL will be able to start on time or even return to play.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well Elliotte has dropped it a couple of times in the last month -

This tweet from Mckenzie, who has been on top of this stuff in the last few days.

I'm not buying it.

Too many of the league's darlings and recent winners are scheduled to be over the cap next season if it stays at 81.5.

And more than another dozen are basically at a point where they cannot even sign all of their own RFAs, much less any UFAs, if there's no CBO.

Actually, I don't even understand how it doesn't help the owners or players?

If I'm a guy like Ladd, I want the guaranteed buyout money and then the opportunity to go elsewhere in the league and sign a million per season contract to get a new lease on life. That goes for surely another 20 some guys in the league.

Likewise, what do the owners have if they're paying players the full amount who basically play little to no role on the team or towards its competitiveness? That's dead weight.

Aside from the simple dishing out of money for the sake of seeing a guy simply walk away, I don't see why it would pain the owners.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'm not buying it.

Too many of the league's darlings and recent winners are scheduled to be over the cap next season if it stays at 81.5.

And more than another dozen are basically at a point where they cannot even sign all of their own RFAs, much less any UFAs, if there's no CBO.

If I'm a guy like Ladd, I want the guaranteed buyout money and then the opportunity to go elsewhere in the league and sign a million per season contract to get a new lease on life. That goes for surely another 20 some guys in the league.

Likewise, what do the owners have if they're paying players the full amount who basically play little to no role on the team or towards its competitiveness? That's dead weight.

Aside from the simple dishing out of money for the sake of seeing a guy simply walk away, I don't see why it would pain the owners.

There would be some positive reporting on it, but Friedman and Mckenzie are both reporting that it is not part of the agreement.

Maybe the 10% the players are deferring could impact the Cap, but no one knows if that is true or not.

If it doesn't and there is no CBO or amnesty buyout, then hold onto your hats because November 1st (the new July 1st) is going to be very active.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not buying it.

I have no idea how some teams are going to fit all of their players under the cap. Maybe we'll just see a ton of trades?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I have no idea how some teams are going to fit all of their players under the cap. Maybe we'll just see a ton of trades?

Maybe, but like who has the space to help take all these players who other teams can no longer fit in.

Anyone see how things look for Tampa and St. Louis?

Sheesh, I wouldn't want to be their GMs!

Gotta think Toronto will be up tight as well...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe, but like who has the space to help take all these players who other teams can no longer fit in.

Toronto is 100% in tight. They have so many RFA's and UFA's that will need to be replaced, all for exactly what they were just earning or less. Not really sure how they'll manage to swing that. Weren't they already running less than the roster maximum to get under the cap for this season?

Tampa Bay has three defensemen signed for next season. Hedman, McDonagh, and Coburn. Not sure how they'll replace the guys they're losing for a similar to cost to what they were just making. They have five RFAs and four UFAs to replace total.

At least St. Louis won the cup so they can probably skate on that for a little bit with their fans. The big thing for them will be whether they can find a way to shed enough salary to keep Pietrangelo.

Heck, even the Isles are tight.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I have no idea what Tampa is going to do- basically trade Palat, Killorn, and Johnson for picks and it is still a stretch to get under the cap. And they all have NTCs

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Toronto is 100% in tight. They have so many RFA's and UFA's that will need to be replaced, all for exactly what they were just earning or less. Not really sure how they'll manage to swing that. Weren't they already running less than the roster maximum to get under the cap for this season?

Tampa Bay has three defensemen signed for next season. Hedman, McDonagh, and Coburn. Not sure how they'll replace the guys they're losing for a similar to cost to what they were just making. They have five RFAs and four UFAs to replace total.

At least St. Louis won the cup so they can probably skate on that for a little bit with their fans. The big thing for them will be whether they can find a way to shed enough salary to keep Pietrangelo.

Heck, even the Isles are tight.

I think Tampa moves Tyler Johnson.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think Tampa moves Tyler Johnson.

If they sign Cernak, Cerelli, & Sergachev to team-friendly deals, and if they buyout Gourde and trade Johnson and Paquette for picks, they are still about 2.5 million over the cap, which means Killorn also gets moved.

Reactions: SI90

Uncle Lou 2222

Jul 9, 2020
I mostly lurked back when you posted under the Bonzo title. I fondly remember your petrov boosting. I still wonder what could have been..

Of course right before he's about to get his shot he hurts his foot.

Snow got his revenge after having to wait so long I guess.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Isles should loan Simon Holmstrom, Jacob Skarek, and potentially Oliver Wahlstrom to play in Europe next season.
Who knows if the AHL will be able to start on time or even return to play.
I think that’s where Holmstrom will play the majority of his career, Europe. Wouldn’t be surprised if it winds up being 90% of his playing career. Probably spend the next 2 years bouncing around the AHL and ECHL, then head for Europe.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I think that’s where Holmstrom will play the majority of his career, Europe. Wouldn’t be surprised if it winds up being 90% of his playing career. Probably spend the next 2 years bouncing around the AHL and ECHL, then head for Europe.
Gosh I hope not!! While Mc Michael and Tomasino have productive NHL careers.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Gosh I hope not!! While Mc Michael and Tomasino have productive NHL careers.
Will turn out one of the biggest NHL draft f***ups in recent Isle’s history. Passing up McMichael, when they needed a #2 center was a huge mistake. And not shockingly, McMichael, the obvious better prospect, had a spectacular season. Holmstrom couldn’t even make Sweden’s World Junior team, wasn’t even invited to any camps.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Holmstrom started out the season injured and came on at the finish. always good to have a LH RW. i give him this coming year before any deep analysis.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Holmstrom started out the season injured and came on at the finish. always good to have some RH players, F or D. i give him this coming year before any deep analysis.

Holmstrom is a LH shot...

He was a kid playing against men, I think it was a good sign he got better as the season went on. What I like about him is his pro size, his plus mobility, and his offensive ability. I think his draft comparable was Jacob Vràna, a good thing since we have no one else like him in the system.

Another season in the AHL at age 19 next year and re-evaluate.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

He was a kid playing against men, I think it was a good sign he got better as the season went on. What I like about him is his pro size, his plus mobility, and his offensive ability. I think his draft comparable was Jacob Vràna, a good thing since we have no one else like him in the system.

yeah, damn, i keep forgetting. but he has played mostly RW, which is where we are short. decent size too, for a finesse winger.

Reactions: PWJunior

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Man, if he ends up like Vràna... i have a strange man crush on this kids game.

That being said, in your estimation do you think Holmströms skating is on the same level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad