Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Very happy Bolduc has been signed.

He seems like one of those prospects/players who doesn't get much hype, but he gets a little better each year and, before you know it, he has become a player who eats minutes for you on defense for 6-10 years.

Ideally as the responsible player, of a defense pairing, alongside a player who is then allowed to take more chances. But Bolduc can contribute as well.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If that includes JHS, it'll be down to 49 soon.

It does. And there are a good 10 or so contracts going off the books this summer, depending on which UFAs and RFAs the organization decides to cut ties with.

But if we're at 50 now, I don't know if and when we're allowed to hand out any other contracts?

And I know that Sorokin, Jenkins, Coskey, Bibeau, even Pastujov would need to be signed this summer.

But maybe it's nothing to worry about? Maybe these things are kind of on hold until everyone even knows if the season will continue or be called off?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Very happy Bolduc has been signed.

He seems like one of those prospects/players who doesn't get much hype, but he gets a little better each year and, before you know it, he has become a player who eats minutes for you on defense for 6-10 years.

Ideally as the responsible player, of a defense pairing, alongside a player who is then allowed to take more chances. But Bolduc can contribute as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're planning on already having him go pro next season.

Since Lamoriello took over, it seems like anybody they give an ELC to is brought right into the pro fold (Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Skarek, Wilde, etc.)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wouldn't be surprised if they're planning on already having him go pro next season.

Since Lamoriello took over, it seems like anybody they give an ELC to is brought right into the pro fold (Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Skarek, Wilde, etc.)

It seems pretty obvious that Lou and Trotz prefer having all of the prized prospects under their direct control in the AHL or NHL. They clearly want to develop them themselves and make sure they aren't developing bad habits that will need to be broken later.

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Islanders at 49 contracts signed with 1 more possible (Sorokin) until FA starts. Bolde Wilde has a slide contract that does not count towards the 50 contract limit for this year according to Capfriendly. I guess that the Islanders might not sign Blade Jenkins before June 1st and he will re enter the draft.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I was thinking the same thing. At least bring him in, to take an extended look at him, then decide if he is ready for the AHL.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Islanders at 49 contracts signed with 1 more possible (Sorokin) until FA starts. Bolde Wilde has a slide contract that does not count towards the 50 contract limit for this year according to Capfriendly. I guess that the Islanders might not sign Blade Jenkins before June 1st and he will re enter the draft.

these contracts - Bolduc and hopefully Sorokin, Jenkins, Coskey, & Bibeau are 20/21 contracts so they don’t count to the 49 contracts they for 2019/20.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It seems pretty obvious that Lou and Trotz prefer having all of the prized prospects under their direct control in the AHL or NHL. They clearly want to develop them themselves and make sure they aren't developing bad habits that will need to be broken later.

Yep, it does seem pretty obvious. Dunno if I'd throw Trotz' name in there, because these kinds of things are management's decisions.

Whether it's the right thing to do or not won't be answered for a few more years yet.

I do know that they had roughly 45 guys kicking things off at BPort's camp last fall and the team looked like it should have been real solid.

We know what then happened.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
It does. And there are a good 10 or so contracts going off the books this summer, depending on which UFAs and RFAs the organization decides to cut ties with.

Possibly gone:
Martin
Brassard
Kuhnhackl
Greene
Greiss
St. Denis
Schmaltz
Helgeson
Coreau
Gibson

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Possibly gone:
Martin
Brassard
Kuhnhackl
Greene
Greiss
St. Denis
Schmaltz
Helgeson
Coreau
Gibson

Those are the upcoming UFAs.

I don't see the team re-upping RFAs Ho-Sang, Burroughs, and Soderstrom.

Then we have to see what they decide for RFAs Aho, Wotherspoon, and Vande Sompel. I'd be shocked if all three are retained.

I think the only RFA in the organization outside of the NHL who is a lock to be re-upped is Hutton.

And something tells me they'll hang on to Schmaltz, but who knows.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That was a Lou hallmark when he was with the Devils. Their AHL team in Albany mirrored what the Devils were doing on the NHL level. Style of play, game plans, etc. This way when he called up a player to NJ it would be as seamless a transition as possible.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That was a Lou hallmark when he was with the Devils. Their AHL team in Albany mirrored what the Devils were doing on the NHL level. Style of play, game plans, etc. This way when he called up a player to NJ it would be as seamless a transition as possible.

Well that's one thing.

But what about throwing kids into the AHL before they might be ready?

PS) I used to go to River Rat games back in the day. Remember very well guys like Elias, Sykora, Pederson, Brylin, Sullivan, Rolston, Dowd, Oliwa, Yelle, Sutton, Persson, Hulse, Modry, Pellerin, etc. coming up. Back in those days, it seemed like they had 5+ 60-85 point scorers every single season.

When was the last time Bridgeport had a 60-point scorer, much less several?

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF and CupHolders

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Well that's one thing.

But what about adding guys and throwing them into the AHL before they might be ready?

PS) I used to go to River Rat games back in the day. Remember very well guys like Elias, Sykora, Pederson, Brylin, Sullivan, Rolston, Dowd, Oliwa, Sutton, Persson, Hulse, Modry, Pellerin, etc. coming up. Back in those days, it seemed like they had 5+ 60-85 point scorers every single season.
I fondly remember watching the River Rats games on TV with my dad (on MSG maybe?) when I was younger. Rooted for them despite being the Devils affiliate

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Possibly gone:
Martin
Brassard
Kuhnhackl
Greene
Greiss
St. Denis
Schmaltz
Helgeson
Coreau
Gibson

You left Sparky off the list.

It was a contract year for him and frankly he was a bit disappointing.

NHL-Mascots-New-York-Islanders-430cm121108.jpg

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Wonder of Thompson returns?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well that's one thing.

But what about throwing kids into the AHL before they might be ready?

PS) I used to go to River Rat games back in the day. Remember very well guys like Elias, Sykora, Pederson, Brylin, Sullivan, Rolston, Dowd, Oliwa, Yelle, Sutton, Persson, Hulse, Modry, Pellerin, etc. coming up. Back in those days, it seemed like they had 5+ 60-85 point scorers every single season.

When was the last time Bridgeport had a 60-point scorer, much less several?
The AHL isn’t a high scoring league anymore. Besides, as far as BST goes I break it down to the Wang era and the Malkin/Ledecky era. In the Wang era the Sound Tigers operated on a shoe string budget so getting a scorer wasn’t going to happen. The Islanders scouting staff was 3 people, Central Scouting, and They Hockey News annual draft guide.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The AHL isn’t a high scoring league anymore. Besides, as far as BST goes I break it down to the Wang era and the Malkin/Ledecky era. In the Wang era the Sound Tigers operated on a shoe string budget so getting a scorer wasn’t going to happen. The Islanders scouting staff was 3 people, Central Scouting, and They Hockey News annual draft guide.

Naturally, very different eras. The AHL hasn't even had many 70-point guys in recent years.

I had bumped into a number of Isles scouts back between 2011-2016 and they were more than 3.

But not by much.:)

I would find it very interesting to find out how that department in particular functions differently than during the Snow/Wang days?!

There's been 13 picks and three college UFAs added in Lamoriello's almost 2 seasons at the helm.

Precious few trades made overall, at any level. So the three deals made around this trade deadline were basically mindblowing in comparison to the previous 1.5 years of Lamoriello's time here.

But there's really no telling how that department has been utilized during this time.

I guess Chris getting to add guys like Brubacher can be seen as a product of our scouting department.

What can we expect now with another 5-pick draft that doesn't start until the 3rd round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad