Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Dobson invited for Canada, Wahlstrom for the USA. Unfortunately no Wilde for USA, hopefully the chip on his shoulder gets even bigger.

That's really really weird that Wilde didn't even get invited. I get this feeling that he's been blacklisted just because he de-committed to two schools. I know that was a main concern for the draft. Seems pretty unfair.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That's really really weird that Wilde didn't even get invited. I get this feeling that he's been blacklisted just because he de-committed to two schools. I know that was a main concern for the draft. Seems pretty unfair.

Lawton is a freaking clown, I think it was classless to keep going on and on about it. Wilde should have a pretty nice chip on his shoulder.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Boom/bust (or low IQ, whatever you wanna call it) prospects are not typically favored for tournaments like the WJC.

Coaches want to know what they are going to get out of their players from shift and shift and want to know they will make smart decisions with the puck. I’m not suprised at all Wilde didn’t receive and invite, just like Ho-Sang never did.

We see the coaches preferring the same types of low risk/repeatable action players in the NHL playoffs because coaches have more confidence in the level of play they can expect to receive from those types of guys than a guy who may score a highlight reel goal but turns over the puck in a bad spot that goes the other way for a slam dunk.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Boom/bust (or low IQ, whatever you wanna call it) prospects are not typically favored for tournaments like the WJC.

Coaches want to know what they are going to get out of their players from shift and shift and want to know they will make smart decisions with the puck. I’m not suprised at all Wilde didn’t receive and invite, just like Ho-Sang never did.

We see the coaches preferring the same types of low risk/repeatable action players in the NHL playoffs because coaches have more confidence in the level of play they can expect to receive from those types of guys than a guy who may score a highlight reel goal but turns over the puck in a bad spot that goes the other way for a slam dunk.

PK Subban strikes me that way. There's so much risk in his game, but can pull it off because he has such great tools and makes some serious splash plays. Not a great fit for Team Canada where minimizing risk seems paramount.

Wilde has such tantalizing tools, you can get blinded by them. The fact that we have Dobson, it makes me feel much better about taking this chance. If Wilde hits, that's a big time win. Hedging our bets in that regard. Kind of like the homerun swing at Ishkakov with Wahlstrom already in pocket.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Being a RH shot, two way physical defenseman.... I'd be surprised if he doesn't find his way on the WJC roster when it comes time. They had K'Andre Miller playing the right side in the U18s so it isn't like the US has a big pool of RH defensemen to pull from. Ty Emberson was the only other right shot D

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I like this shift by shift video of Bode from a game last season.... look at the shift he had at the 6:15 mark. But then you see the warts at the 9:58 mark.

I think with some careful tutelage, a slow approach and some patience there's no reason this kid can't be a solid 2nd pairing defenseman.

Reactions: PWJunior

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Not sure if you read Scott Wheeler's prospect rankings on The Athletic. But he gives some of our boys some praise.

12. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 18 (New York Islanders — 11th overall, 2018)

If I could make scouting heart eyes at Wahlstrom, I would. The kid can just flat out shoot the puck and score goals. He can just rip it. Sometimes, that’s enough. There are other redeemable NHL traits to his game; he’s physically strong and athletic, he does a wonderful job shading away from defenders into open ice without putting himself on the perimeter, he anticipates the play well with and without the puck, and he’s got decent handling ability. He’s not a breakaway skater but he’s going to score a ton of goals at the NHL level with linemates who can get him the puck. I expect he’ll be a dominant force on a Boston College team that has a lot of good two-way players but lacks a high-end scorer. And a year from now he’ll be in the NHL as a one-and-done collegiate athlete ready to make a run at the Calder alongside a player like Barzal. The Islanders have made a number of questionable moves in the early days of Lou Lamoriello’s tenure, but taking Wahlstrom was not one of them. He could go down as one of the 2018 draft’s steals.

46. Noah Dobson, RHD, 18 (New York Islanders — 12th overall, 2018)

Dobson fits into the same kind of conversation as Kotkaniemi where I was higher than most in the scouting world on him earlier in the year before he ultimately kind of settled into that 8-10 range for me in this year’s class (and no, his Memorial Cup didn’t change my mind). As with Wahlstrom, I think the Islanders did really well landing Dobson. He’s an outstanding skater for his size, he’s not afraid to carry it deep into the offensive zone or pinch aggressively to make a play happen, and he’d already established a really strong defensive base before his offensive tools began to really explode and take over. All of those things should all-but-guarantee he becomes an NHL defencemen. His much-improved shot could also help catapult him onto an NHL power play. Next year could be his last in junior hockey as the Islanders make way for him and enter into their rebuild around a solid young core. We’ll see.

48. Ilya Sorokin, G, 22 (New York Islanders — 78th overall, 2014)

I’m normally not exactly the biggest proponent of goalies as high-end prospects — or using high picks on them — so it’s a minor miracle that three made this list. They all deserve it, though. Sometimes, goaltenders separate themselves enough from the pack to the point where they can actually become distinguishable from the masses of coin flips. Andrei Vasilevskiy was that good pre-NHL. Hart is that good. Samsonov is that good. And so is Sorokin. He remains unsigned and may never play for the Islanders but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve the credit he’s owed for three consecutive standout seasons in the KHL as an extremely young goalie. His partner with CSKA, Lars Johansson, is no slouch but come playoff time it was Sorokin who got the net and played 18 games to a .930 save percentage en route to the finals. He’s not as big as Samsonov but he’s more athletic.

Also discusses Kieffer Bellows in Cody Glass' ranking:
I mean no disrespect to Keiffer Bellows but watching Portland play this year made me realize how far off he is, despite having a world-class shot, from truly being a top prospect in the way Glass is. Glass is that centre every single team wants. He’s reliable in his own zone, always hunting the puck, strong on his skates and his stick, a decent scorer, and an even better playmaker. He can create off the rush or he can create off the cycle. He wins more battles than he loses. There’s not a lot to dislike about his game. In the last decade, the closest comparable WHL player in terms of age, size and production was Mark Stone during his post-draft season.

Wheeler: The Top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2018...

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kind of disappointed. Expected him to go college this year but thought he’d come to pro camp. Maybe play a preseason game.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Kind of disappointed. Expected him to go college this year but thought he’d come to pro camp. Maybe play a preseason game.

we have too many forwards

I think it is actually better for Wahlstrom's development to get to his college training camp ASAP

Reactions: SI90

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

For Wahlstrom to come to camp, he would have to sign an ELC which would make him ineligible for college. No need to be disappointed.

BC is the natural next step in his development. He should get loads of ice time and a prime role. He's going to be one and done so we'll see him next season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For Wahlstrom to come to camp, he would have to sign an ELC which would make him ineligible for college. No need to be disappointed.

BC is the natural next step in his development. He should get loads of ice time and a prime role. He's going to be one and done so we'll see him next season.

I thought he could attend camp without an ELC but he just had to pay his own way here?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Thing I don't get with Wilde, even if they have their doubts for this season you think they would bring him in to sort of prep him if he makes it the following year. Any experience helps. Simple fact is he was the highest scoring defenseman on the U18 team, that has to be worth something

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I thought he could attend camp without an ELC but he just had to pay his own way here?

I think that's only for prospect camps aside from their first one as a recent draftee. Likely won't be an issue for Wahlstrom though, I think he signs his ELC after this season.

Reactions: SI90

scott99

May 13, 2005
An interesting note on Dobson, I read an article about him that mentioned he wears #53 in honor of his grandfather who passed away at age 53 from MS. Makes me like him even more, sounds like a great kid.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not too surprised by the non-addition of Wilde to the U20 camp.

The USA has a ton of blueliners who are "older" than Wilde who come into question for the WJC.

And if he's in Saginaw and chomping through the OHL with say 10-25-35, +20 numbers when Christmas roles around, I'm not too sure Team USA would skip out on adding him.

Reactions: Jester9881

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think that's only for prospect camps aside from their first one as a recent draftee. Likely won't be an issue for Wahlstrom though, I think he signs his ELC after this season.
If he signs his ELC next year, he needs to be on the big club, right? It would make no sense for him to sign and then spend the year in the A as it would burn a year of his ELC, so its either college (or juniors) for another year or make the roster? Am I understanding that right?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If he signs his ELC next year, he needs to be on the big club, right? It would make no sense for him to sign and then spend the year in the A as it would burn a year of his ELC, so its either college (or juniors) for another year or make the roster? Am I understanding that right?

I believe there would also be the option of him playing Canadian juniors without it burning off a year of his ELC.

But I don't think you can have a pro contract and continue playing college hockey.

In general, I think both he and Dobson are in the NHL for the 2019/20 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad