Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Golyshev and Sorokin are interesting, but who knows if either becomes an islander or if their KHL play is on par with the NHL

True. Dunno what Sorokin desires or if he sees himself as ever being an NHL goaltender.

I think he will be. I can't see Samsonov and Shestorykin (SP) coming over and him not wanting to put his skills on display as well. It's a pride thing.

And when you achieve the same thing year for year in the KHL, under those circumstances, then at some point you want to test your metal against the best.

But we can't deny that even his ELC - which he cannot bypass if he signs with us - is going to be considerably less than what he's earning with Moscow.

As for Golyshev, he's tweeted pics of his son dressed in Islander apparel. I think he's ready to come over. I don't think the Isles have looked to sign him yet. It's not just the question of whether he's ready for an NHL gig, but he too is likely earning much more in the KHL than he would in the AHL. So there's that...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
True. Dunno what Sorokin desires or if he sees himself as ever being an NHL goaltender.

I think he will be. I can't see Samsonov and Shestorykin (SP) coming over and him not wanting to put his skills on display as well. It's a pride thing.

And when you achieve the same thing year for year in the KHL, under those circumstances, then at some point you want to test your metal against the best.

But we can't deny that even his ELC - which he cannot bypass if he signs with us - is going to be considerably less than what he's earning with Moscow.

As for Golyshev, he's tweeted pics of his son dressed in Islander apparel. I think he's ready to come over. I don't think the Isles have looked to sign him yet. It's not just the question of whether he's ready for an NHL gig, but he too is likely earning much more in the KHL than he would in the AHL. So there's that...

We've had a terrible history with Russians during Snow's tenure. I'm glad it's Lou handling things now, especially with Sorokin. I think it's going to be one of Lou's priorities to get Sorokin over after next season where it could be considerably easier to get it done. He'll be eligible for a 1-year ELC so maybe some tricks can be applied to compensate Sorokin later on. Sign him to an extension after January 1st or something. Load up the bonus structure of that ELC year. Whatever needs to be done, I'll leave that to Lou. With Lehner on a 1 year deal and Greiss in his final contract year, the door is wide open for Sorokin.

I agree with you about Golyshev, I think he's our new Kirill Petrov. It doesn't help him that we drafted Ishkakov either.

Reactions: Wanderson

scott99

May 13, 2005
We've had a terrible history with Russians during Snow's tenure. I'm glad it's Lou handling things now, especially with Sorokin. I think it's going to be one of Lou's priorities to get Sorokin over after next season where it could be considerably easier to get it done. He'll be eligible for a 1-year ELC so maybe some tricks can be applied to compensate Sorokin later on. Sign him to an extension after January 1st or something. Load up the bonus structure of that ELC year. Whatever needs to be done, I'll leave that to Lou. With Lehner on a 1 year deal and Greiss in his final contract year, the door is wide open for Sorokin.

I agree with you about Golyshev, I think he's our new Kirill Petrov. It doesn't help him that we drafted Ishkakov either.

About the bold part. Interesting thing about Golyshev is, he posted a video of his toddler son running around the house with a hockey stick and puck, and the kid was wearing an Islander's jersey, not his KHL's team jersey. I found that interesting, and makes me think he may have an interest in coming to the Isles when his contract runs out (not sure when that is, but I thought he had 2 years left when the Isles drafted him). Wish I could find that video, it was pretty cool. Kid was in diapers and an Isle's jersey, and he was actually trying to stickhandle.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
About the bold part. Interesting thing about Golyshev is, he posted a video of his toddler son running around the house with a hockey stick and puck, and the kid was wearing an Islander's jersey, not his KHL's team jersey. I found that interesting, and makes me think he may have an interest in coming to the Isles when his contract runs out (not sure when that is, but I thought he had 2 years left when the Isles drafted him). Wish I could find that video, it was pretty cool. Kid was in diapers and an Isle's jersey, and he was actually trying to stickhandle.

If he can make more money playing in the KHL than making a fraction of that in the AHL where he would need to prove himself, he's not coming over. The fact that he's got a young kid makes it even less likely that he comes over.

He better have an all star season in the KHL to warrant signing and given an NHL chance. Even then, he's got significant competition to make the NHL with our kids. Ishkakov is a better version of him and he's a kid. I don't see it happening.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If he can make more money playing in the KHL than making a fraction of that in the AHL where he would need to prove himself, he's not coming over. The fact that he's got a young kid makes it even less likely that he comes over.

He better have an all star season in the KHL to warrant signing and given an NHL chance. Even then, he's got significant competition to make the NHL with our kids. Ishkakov is a better version of him and he's a kid. I don't see it happening.
I don’t know if Ishkakov is a better version of Golyshev, that remains to be seen. Golyshev has shown a lot of promise in the KHL. And has had an all star season in the KHL. Here he is in the all star game shootout vs Ilya Sorokin, who plays along with the gag.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Why is there such an absence of Swedes and Fins in our prospect pool? Correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing anyone but Robin Salo is the only prospect that comes to mind.

I think these 2 countries have come a long way in development. Sweden most notably. Perhaps it is style of play? Or the chance of players not coming over? But I think that might just apply to KHL players. Either way I think there should be more prospect from this part of the world.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Why is there such an absence of Swedes and Fins in our prospect pool? Correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing anyone but Robin Salo is the only prospect that comes to mind.

FIN
- Salo
- Koivula

SWE
- Aho
- Soderstrom
- Hansson

Not many, but there might be fewer in several other organizations.

I think these 2 countries have come a long way in development. Sweden most notably. Perhaps it is style of play? Or the chance of players not coming over? But I think that might just apply to KHL players. Either way I think there should be more prospect from this part of the world.

From a development standpoint, it's very clear that Sweden and Finland are way up at the head of the pack when it comes to overall development of skills, skating, and game understanding. This is seen not only in the amount of NHLers they produce, but also how strong their home leagues and junior teams are, this despite the fact that the KHL, NLA, and DEL, plus just about every other league in Europe, are dotted with high impact Swedes and Finns.

Interestingly, Swedes have been taken the third most after Canadians and Americans for something like 9 straight drafts, in which they've regularly seen 19-35 kids taken - per summer.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Rathgeb is definitely one to watch.

Honestly, what he's done in the NLA the past 3 seasons really isn't "everyday ho-hum" for a kid who was 19-22 during those 3 seasons.

And it's not like he's been playing for an absolute powerhouse, which hopefully explains his previous inability to finish a season with his -21 and -3 the past two years.

One of the things I find very, very interesting is that Rathgeb had 118 PMs two seasons ago and they dropped to 18 this past season. That's a significant drop!

Definitely one of the X-factor boys in the organization.

Can think of a few other young Europeans who went undrafted who I'd LOVE to see Lou add to the program.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
FIN
- Salo
- Koivula

SWE
- Aho
- Soderstrom
- Hansson

Not many, but there might be fewer in several other organizations.

From a development standpoint, it's very clear that Sweden and Finland are way up at the head of the pack when it comes to overall development of skills, skating, and game understanding. This is seen not only in the amount of NHLers they produce, but also how strong their home leagues and junior teams are, this despite the fact that the KHL, NLA, and DEL, plus just about every other league in Europe, are dotted with high impact Swedes and Finns.

Interestingly, Swedes have been taken the third most after Canadians and Americans for something like 9 straight drafts, in which they've regularly seen 19-35 kids taken - per summer.

Yup I should have thought about Soderstrom and Otto(cool name!). We should start investing more on scouting in Sweden and Finland, I am sure it is hard for the scouting department.

Plus Chap, you mentioned the trend of Swedes in the last 9 drafts, that's not a statistical anomaly, so its trend more teams are investing in. Perhaps we should be focusing more there.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Ironically, the Isles were one of the early teams to draft from Sweden, with 3 players contributing to the dynasty (not counting Nystrom!).

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Capuano seemed to hate Swedes and we screwed up the development of Soderstrom, Ullstrom and Persson in quick succession. I thought Ullstrom looked fine but Cappy always seemed to make a scapegoat of him so he buggered off at first opportunity

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Capuano seemed to hate Swedes and we screwed up the development of Soderstrom, Ullstrom and Persson in quick succession. I thought Ullstrom looked fine but Cappy always seemed to make a scapegoat of him so he buggered off at first opportunity
took the words out of my mouth

we had a whole crop of talented swedes that failed and turned the org. off from drafting them

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice write up about our draft...

New York Islanders 2018 Draft Review and Development Camp Updates

I like the author's style @Mike Farkas, doesn't sugarcoat. He's got a cool video series breaking down d-men that are excellent. Can be brutal like Bouchard to very positive like Sandin and Hughes. Said he'll do one for Dobson.

Here's the infamous Bouchard video that Oiler fans probably hate...

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, the contrast with Dobson, whose wheels are turning in his head every second of his shifts, is stark. Q Hughes has that quality to his game also. If edm took Dobson at 10, I would take farabee at 12 despite org need.

Reactions: PWJunior

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Ugh, I used to LOVE Ullstrom. Really thought he had all the tools to become a full time NHLer. I believe he signed with Arizona in hopes of coming back.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I like the author's style @Mike Farkas, doesn't sugarcoat. He's got a cool video series breaking down d-men that are excellent. Can be brutal like Bouchard to very positive like Sandin and Hughes. Said he'll do one for Dobson.

I've always wondered how much being "The Man" on a blueline versus playing on a strong blueline will affect decision making. I don't know if it's the case or not, but I sometimes think some of the issues with Bouchard stem from him knowing he's their best defender by far and feeling as though he's got to do everything himself, whereas a guy like Dobson can simply play a smarter, composed game knowing he doesn't have to singlehandedly win games for his team each shift.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember some questions about Doughty's ultimate hockey sense when he played for Guelph and seemed to try to do too much at times. Not saying Bouchard will be as good as Doughty, but I just wonder if the "do too much and as a result look like they are making bad reads" thing is affecting them both the same way.

Reactions: frankieboy

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've always wondered how much being "The Man" on a blueline versus playing on a strong blueline will affect decision making. I don't know if it's the case or not, but I sometimes think some of the issues with Bouchard stem from him knowing he's their best defender by far and feeling as though he's got to do everything himself, whereas a guy like Dobson can simply play a smarter, composed game knowing he doesn't have to singlehandedly win games for his team each shift.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember some questions about Doughty's ultimate hockey sense when he played for Guelph and seemed to try to do too much at times. Not saying Bouchard will be as good as Doughty, but I just wonder if the "do too much and as a result look like they are making bad reads" thing is affecting them both the same way.
My only pre-draft negative recollection with Doughty was Doughty's tendency to be Doughy. :poutine:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I've seen the argument that because Bouchard played like 35 minutes a game, he had to conserve energy. I think that's BS. Whether you're playing 30, 25, 20, or 15 minutes a night, you need to play the right way and make the right plays. He had a very long leash, just like Judas had a long leash here. A 2 minute shift resulting in numerous mistakes is still a bad play for anyone.

I don't know if Doughty ever made some of these plays highlighted in the video. Bouchard got a pass because he put up points. With a clear alpha dog, you have to deal with both the good and the bad. He's a mess defensively, let's see how he develops. My wagon is hitched to Dobson.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, the contrast with Dobson, whose wheels are turning in his head every second of his shifts, is stark. Q Hughes has that quality to his game also. If edm took Dobson at 10, I would take farabee at 12 despite org need.

If Edmonton took Dobson at #10, I think I would have preferred Ty Smith at #12. We needed a high end defender in the worst way, I wasn't thrilled with Bouchard and I thought his skillset was redundant to Pulock's. I don't like undersized d-men, but Smith is a great skater and is strong in his own zone. In terms of positional value, I rank LW's the lowest despite liking Farabee quite a bit.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Not trying to completely discredit the video, but the reason I hate these types of videos is that you can make Bobby Orr look like a doofus for 15 minutes if you look hard enough. Especially when it comes to defensemen, everyone makes mistakes. Bouchard was good enough for a good team to lean on him to be not only their best defenseman, but best player. That says a lot about his abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad