Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Which players from this draft have a decent shot at making the team?

What do you guys think of the goalie we took?

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
One of the strange things to me about the NHL relative to other major sports is that a good deal of the prospect development after a player is drafted happens away from the team with players continuing to play in junior leagues, at the college level or internationally. NHL teams must leave a portion of the early post draft development of their prospects in the hands of people outside their organization. This is especially the case with mid level prospects. I know it's a system that has worked for years, it still seems like it takes something of a leap on faith on the team's part.

Does it ever become a point of contention behind closed doors if say a college coach demotes a guy down a line or gives him less playing time? I guess the option of offering an ELC is available to the NHL team's staff that wants a firmer grip on developmental details. A lot of my curiosity around the process is admittedly not knowing a whole lot about it.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Which players from this draft have a decent shot at making the team?

What do you guys think of the goalie we took?

I'd say everyone except our 7th round pick Krygier has a decent shot of eventually making the team.

First four picks have skill, Skarek's a very solid goalie prospect, and Pivonka & Jenkins could carve out bottom-6 roles.

Reactions: dood

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
First four picks have skill, Skarek's a very solid goalie prospect, and Pivonka & Jenkins could carve out bottom-6 roles.

Not saying he will but I actually do think Jenkins potentially could be a top 6 forward. I think he is much more offensively gifted then his stats would suggest

Reactions: Konk and MattBarzal

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I think the more interesting question is who of our prospects will make the team this year? I put my cents on Toews, despite that bad injury last season.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Does it ever become a point of contention behind closed doors if say a college coach demotes a guy down a line or gives him less playing time? I guess the option of offering an ELC is available to the NHL team's staff that wants a firmer grip on developmental details. A lot of my curiosity around the process is admittedly not knowing a whole lot about it.
Yes. Garth Snow openly criticized Kyle Okposo's college coach, Don Lucia, for not caring about his players future career potential. Snow had drafted several Minnesota players and was very frustrated with the poor results.

I think this is why the NHL has roles like "Director of Player Development", which are probably underappreciated. As I understand it, those roles are on the road a lot, meeting up with prospects. Some teams have bigger travel budgets, though.

One thing the Islanders did well under Snow was the whole prospect camp and after practice team bonding activities. I'm curious if people from other boards, like Sidney the Kidney, know how common this is. But every year prospects get to go to a Mets game and do some other fun stuff. Building that kind of tradition is easy but I somehow suspect it isn't universal yet.

Reactions: nyisleslover

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think the plan moving forward should be to move all players that are on NMC/NTC that we don't plan on keeping for the long run. We are going to have problems protecting players again come Seattle joining the league. I personally don't want to be giving up first rounders (we got lucky last time because it was a week draft anyway) to protect other players/prospects.

We do have to think ahead or lose a valuable player.

Reactions: periferal

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I like Ruslan Ishakov skills but can he play a complete game? I honestly can't tell a huge difference between him and Dmitry Zavgorodniy. Both looked like 2nd or 3rd round picks but Ishakov got way more interest.

Dmitry 62 games 26 goals, 21 assists
Ruslan 33 games 6 goals, 24 assists. But he was playing vs Russian juniors.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Does anyone have the clip of the draft on TV where they show Ishakov highlights reel and one of the TV people goes "Wow", as if he had never seen him play before and couldn't believe Ishakov slipped his gaze?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Does anyone have the clip of the draft on TV where they show Ishakov highlights reel and one of the TV people goes "Wow", as if he had never seen him play before and couldn't believe Ishakov slipped his gaze?
Ye it was during one of the shootouts where he totally decked the goalie out. I think it was Darren Pang who was amazed.

Reactions: Brain Hemorrhage

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Wouldn't shock me if that was legitimate, Ishakov flew under the radar for a lot of fans, myself included.

Seems to me like people who studied his game (Pronman, the Russian guy on HFBoards) came away very impressed with his skills and potential. Have yet to read anything from a scout who studied his game and isn't impressed. Seems like the rest of us are only now catching up after he flew under a lot of our noses.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I forgot to post this the night of the draft, but did anyone notice that the NYR gave up a mid-2nd round pick to move up a few spots and then not long afterwards another team gave up a mid-3rd round pick to move up a few spots? Seemed kind of odd.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I think not enough credit is given to Trent Klatt and his leadership in scouting. Our drafts under him have been very good and just starting to bear fruit. The bad picks were all re-capitalized in trades. I can say for sure Morrow deserves some blame for Reinhardt.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I forgot to post this the night of the draft, but did anyone notice that the NYR gave up a mid-2nd round pick to move up a few spots and then not long afterwards another team gave up a mid-3rd round pick to move up a few spots? Seemed kind of odd.

They probably thought the draft was not deep.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Taking a peek at the Rangers board, quite a lot of upset people about bypassing both Wahlstrom and Wilde. Some mentions of passing on Dobson too.

A lot of people are cognizant of how we crushed the draft, not happy about that either.

Reactions: BTrotts19

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Taking a peek at the Rangers board, quite a lot of upset people about bypassing both Wahlstrom and Wilde. Some mentions of passing on Dobson too.

A lot of people are cognizant of how we crushed the draft, not happy about that either.
It's poetic justice after all the "Gorton's Fish Sticks" jokes they made at our expense that they have a moron named Gorton for GM.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. And in the case the dish consists of small, elongated, breaded fish fillets.

Reactions: Quicklime

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
As soon as I read their rangers draft review getting a D it lost all credibility to me. You can't give a team props for their 1st round picks (and 3 of them), and then bash them for later picks and wind up with a D. How can a 2nd round (or later) pick make your draft a near failure when 90% of 2-7 round picks never play an NHL game?

What a joke.

The author is a Rangers fan, he mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad