Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wahlstrom, Cockerill, and Miragreas all sticking with Team USA after they sent home 13 other players today. Will be looking forward to seeing (well reading) more of them in action during these dog days of summer

There were cuts today? I didn't realize they were cutting people, I thought it was an evaluation camp for the selection camp later on.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know you were his biggest supporter PW, I came onboard the Dobson train later than you (as far as preferring him more than Bouchard, I wanted either, just wanted a BIG talented dman). But I was thrilled we landed Dobson (AND Wahlstrom). I remember when we lost the lottery, I stated something like, "That's a shame, really wanted Wahlstrom & Dobson." To land these 2 guys, I'm still pinching myself.

Dobson is exactly the type of Dman we needed. We have way too many dmen that either are small and offensively talented, or big but not offensively talented. Pulock being the only one who is both. But I really feel Dobson is at a different level, than even Pulock. Dobson is probably the best Isle's Dman prospect since Bryan Berard. Though Berard never truly lived up to the hype, he was extremely highly thought of. Dobson checks off all the boxes: big, fast, very good defensively, smart. Just a great draft choice.

Watching his highlights on Youtube, there was one highlight, where he skates through and around everyone for a goal, just showed a great skating stride, and some elusiveness. Look up Noah Dobson 2017-18 on Youtube. About 1:25 or 1:30 into the video, an amazing end to end rush.

Reactions: PWJunior

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I know you were his biggest supporter PW, I came onboard the Dobson train later than you (as far as preferring him more than Bouchard, I wanted either, just wanted a BIG talented dman). But I was thrilled we landed Dobson (AND Wahlstrom). I remember when we lost the lottery, I stated something like, "That's a shame, really wanted Wahlstrom & Dobson." To land these 2 guys, I'm still pinching myself.

Dobson is exactly the type of Dman we needed. We have way too many dmen that either are small and offensively talented, or big but not offensively talented. Pulock being the only one who is both. But I really feel Dobson is at a different level, than even Pulock. Dobson is probably the best Isle's Dman prospect since Bryan Berard. Though Berard never truly lived up to the hype, he was extremely highly thought of. Dobson checks off all the boxes: big, fast, very good defensively, smart. Just a great draft choice.

Watching his highlights on Youtube, there was one highlight, where he skates through and around everyone for a goal, just showed a great skating stride, and some elusiveness. Look up Noah Dobson 2017-18 on Youtube. About 1:25 or 1:30 into the video, an amazing end to end rush.
That's what I love about Dobson so much as a prospect. Not only is he big and talented, but he can skate You don't even have to add the "for a big guy" caveat when you say he skates well; he just flat out skates really well.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That's what I love about Dobson so much as a prospect. Not only is he big and talented, but he can skate You don't even have to add the "for a big guy" caveat when you say he skates well; he just flat out skates really well.
I also saw an article at one point where a coach he had when he was younger said whoever didn't draft Dobson would be really sorry about it later. He was referring as much to what a great kid he is and to his work ethic.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Dobson is the best D for the 2018-2019 Team Canada Junior.

He has all the tools and is the steal of the last NHL draft, way ahead of what pundits will admit.

Reactions: PWJunior

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Guys, here's the Noah Dobson video that's been asked for...not a lot to diagram with him because he's not a dummy...I framed it to try to show some improvement as best as I could, but while still maintaining the integrity of consecutive shifts...apologies for Regina's camera angle, less than ideal...

And to re-use my quip from the Prospects board: Also, I decided that he was #43 in my title screen instead of #53...I'll fix that tomorrow, my apologies on that...knew I should have kept the receipt on that Journalism degree...thanks Rutgers...

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Guys, here's the Noah Dobson video that's been asked for...not a lot to diagram with him because he's not a dummy...I framed it to try to show some improvement as best as I could, but while still maintaining the integrity of consecutive shifts...apologies for Regina's camera angle, less than ideal...

And to re-use my quip from the Prospects board: Also, I decided that he was #43 in my title screen instead of #53...I'll fix that tomorrow, my apologies on that...knew I should have kept the receipt on that Journalism degree...thanks Rutgers...

thanks for the video.

i really didn't see much to be concerned about. it seems to me that he is one step ahead of most other players. his anticipation and positioning are top notch. you were critical of his passes quite often, but i feel like it was just as much an issue, that the intended recipients weren't ready (one of my pet peeves), or did not get into an open position.

you mentioned his lack of confidence a few times, but i really didn't see it. he just seems to be responsible, and picks his spots very well. even so, a 17 year old, playing in a league of mostly 18 and 19 year olds, will most likely need time to adjust. i think he is quietly confident, and is just as committed to a solid defensive game, as much as the offensive game.

he doesn't seen the type to be all loud and flashy, which is fine with me. we got a really good one here.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Thanks for watching, first of all. Secondly, yeah I don't disagree with you in a lot of ways. It's very difficult to sit there and frame progress without the video dragging on for six hours. So I said, let's pick an early-mid season game before anyone cared about him, look at some shifts...and then show a game at the end of the season, when everyone was gaga over him...and just highlight some things that were improved.

For the record, I do believe in what I said in the video - I'm not going to lie about video, that's a very difficult job haha - but trying to show progression without going lowlight tape -> highlight tape (which I will not do) isn't easy. I like to keep shifts consecutive unless otherwise noted, so it doesn't seem like I'm cherrypicking things...

I think I mentioned a few times early on that he doesn't suck, so I'm highlighting some details...he definitely gets better over the course of the season and I don't think it's to any small degree either...I think he had more of a take charge attitude in the second half of the year, whereas early in the season he deferred a lot to the veteran, overager, bearded, but not-pro-caliber Adam Holwell...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks for watching, first of all. Secondly, yeah I don't disagree with you in a lot of ways. It's very difficult to sit there and frame progress without the video dragging on for six hours. So I said, let's pick an early-mid season game before anyone cared about him, look at some shifts...and then show a game at the end of the season, when everyone was gaga over him...and just highlight some things that were improved.

For the record, I do believe in what I said in the video - I'm not going to lie about video, that's a very difficult job haha - but trying to show progression without going lowlight tape -> highlight tape (which I will not do) isn't easy. I like to keep shifts consecutive unless otherwise noted, so it doesn't seem like I'm cherrypicking things...

I think I mentioned a few times early on that he doesn't suck, so I'm highlighting some details...he definitely gets better over the course of the season and I don't think it's to any small degree either...I think he had more of a take charge attitude in the second half of the year, whereas early in the season he deferred a lot to the veteran, overager, bearded, but not-pro-caliber Adam Holwell...

Thank you making the video, I'm glad that it's not another highlight package. I can understand the challenge of putting together a progression video like this, I think you did it well. The difference in confidence level is noticeable in the 2nd game. He is clearly a work in progress, I do love the package of tools and hockey IQ.

I have high hopes for Dobson's future. I wanted Pietrangelo so badly back in the day, he was my guy. Kind of funny that I may get an 18 year old version a decade later.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Jesus almighty, that play at 17:00. He looks like Barzal out there.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Thanks Frankie, appreciate it.

I have worked in coaching, yes...going on about ten years now. I've also done scouting work that has gone to the NHL level. I undertook this little project as a more interesting means to document some of my findings and also as kind of an amalgamation of some ideas I've gotten from various scouts and GMs that I've spoken to...people seem to like it, it's fairly unique to the internet as far as I can tell (which is really something, the internet is humongous big) and it documents me attempting to predict the future in the public space...so it checks off a lot of boxes. :thumbu:

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Nice goal by Dobson scoring on a rebound after joining the rush. He’s looking good playing on the first pairing D.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
First look , Dobson looks like he doesn’t have a lot of offensive
Upside ,he looks tentative . I see maybe a Scott Lachance right now

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice goal by Dobson scoring on a rebound after joining the rush. He’s looking good playing on the first pairing D.

Dobson is probably the only d-man in tonight's lineup that will make the team. He had a bit of a shaky start, he is imposing his will more as the game goes on. Good awareness and follow up for the goal.

He has been switching from LD and RD all game too, gotta love that versatility.

Reactions: SI90 and BarzyClub

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Dobson is probably the only d-man in tonight's lineup that will make the team. He had a bit of a shaky start, he is imposing his will more as the game goes on. Good awareness and follow up for the goal.

He has been switching from LD and RD all game too, gotta love that versatility.
Yeah he was kind of tentative in front on Finland’s goal.

Just made a nice end to end rush up the LW boards to set up a prime scoring opportunity. His hockey sense definitely stands out. Going to be fun watching him develop and improve this year.

Reactions: SI90

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah he was kind of tentative in front on Finland’s goal.

Just made a nice end to end rush up the LW boards to set up a prime scoring opportunity. His hockey sense definitely stands out. Going to be fun watching him develop and improve this year.

He just scored again on the PP. No offensive ability my ass. He's a force.

Reactions: snipes and SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad