Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sorokin's playoffs scream get him over to the NHL. I think this has to be the Isles #1 or #2 priority this off season. When you drafted a player, and he hits it out of the park in terms of development. You have to get him in an Isles Uniform. It would be a fail IMO if he is not in the NHL next season. We do not need to be hearing how great he is in the KHL next season.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorokin's playoffs scream get him over to the NHL. I think this has to be the Isles #1 or #2 priority this off season. When you drafted a player, and he hits it out of the park in terms of development. You have to get him in an Isles Uniform. It would be a fail IMO if he is not in the NHL next season. We do not need to be hearing how great he is in the KHL next season.

Russian posters have said again and again that unless he announces a buyout in advance, it's not possible. If you have reason to think they're wrong, what is it?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Y'all should check the highlights. Cole Perfetti has great skill. And the play Wilde makes to stick lift the defender's stick after he deked and then bring his stick down to shoot and score was pretty sweet.

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Perfetti is a 2020 Draft eligible, over PPG in his pre-draft season is pretty impressive. I think he was a top-5 pick in the OHL draft so he has pedigree.

Wilde's offensive game is indeed impressive. He's probably the most suited for the #1PPQB in the entire organization, he has everything you want in one.

Reactions: Finster8 and dano16

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Russian posters have said again and again that unless he announces a buyout in advance, it's not possible. If you have reason to think they're wrong, what is it?

Please clarify 'In Advance".

As far as I know, if Sorokin buys out the last year of his contract after this season is over, he can come to NA.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

As far as I know, if Sorokin buys out the last year of his contract after this season is over, he can come to NA.

See here:

G Ilya Sorokin - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2014, 78th, NYI)

Unless you can read Russian, I just have to trust our Russian posters.

All that said, even if he could buyout his contract, why would anyone think he would buy out his contract, paying 2/3 of the amount remaining, to play in the NHL a year early for entry level money? Would anyone here do that unless there were some extenuating circumstances? No. We wouldn't have signed a 3 year contract to begin with.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
See here:

G Ilya Sorokin - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2014, 78th, NYI)

Unless you can read Russian, I just have to trust our Russian posters.

All that said, even if he could buyout his contract, why would anyone think he would buy out his contract, paying 2/3 of the amount remaining, to play in the NHL a year early for entry level money? Would anyone here do that unless there were some extenuating circumstances? No. We wouldn't have signed a 3 year contract to begin with.

That's an important note.

My contacts, and for those who google, one can quickly ascertain what kind of contacts I'm talking about, say that Ilya has no intention of coming to the NHL "early". In addition, when he comes, he'll be doing so on the premise that he's immediately in the show.

Going the Samsonov route (starter in Hershey) is not an option.

And with the money he's been earning in the KHL, why would he possibly go any other route?

This said, all signs are that he does see himself in the NHL at some point.

In light of the current situation, it would seem pretty logical to re-sign Lehner this summer, then allow Greiss to walk while bringing in Sorokin in the summer of 2020.

Internally, the development of Skarek and Soderstrom will then bear watching. If they too become NHL options, I suspect they'd become no less than valuable trading chips.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
(realize you're being sarcastic)

The best went to someone drafted as an overager, who is in his 5th OHL season. If Bode Wilde is the OHL next year, he'd destroy the league offensively.

With the addition of Hutton, I think both Wilde and Dobson will be returned to the CHL next season. The RD group is pretty full on LI and in Bridgeport, it's probably in their best interest to get full reps and be the #1D's for their teams.

It could be an interesting battle for CHL D-man of the Year with Dobson from the Q against Wilde from the OHL.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know we hate the Rangers, but Wilde reminds me of a righty Ron Greschner (going WAY back). That guy never seemed to be flying, but he always seemed to be going end to end blowing by guys. Wilde seems similar in that way.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I was just having this conversation about Sorokin. I’ve been a fan since day 1 and have followed him closely. Would love nothing more than to get him here .That being said, how much better goaltending can we expect to get than we Got this year? Would be nice to get a potential young franchise goalie in the fold but I wouldn’t expect him to be as good as Lehner and Greiss have been this year right away.

This team needs star power up top in the scoring area.

Sorokin is going to come when he decides he wants to. Simple as that. Right now Lehner snd Greiss platoon works and is the least of our problems it seems.

Reactions: dano16

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Gonna trust this guy on this until I hear anything else:

As it stands, I'm not expecting him to be here next season and if that changes that would be an extremely pleasant surprise.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
With the addition of Hutton, I think both Wilde and Dobson will be returned to the CHL next season. The RD group is pretty full on LI and in Bridgeport, it's probably in their best interest to get full reps and be the #1D's for their teams.

Idk. They'll both come to camp, and if either show to be NHL ready that player may well earn a slot. Agree neither will likely be in the AHL, though.

Sorokin is going to come when he decided he wants to. Simple as that. Right the Lehner snd Greiss platoon works and is the least of our problems it seems.

100%. The Sorokin discussion simply informs how long NYI should willing to go on a contract with Lehner. NYI should be leery for anything past 2 years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was just having this conversation about Sorokin. I’ve been a fan since day 1 and have followed him closely. Would love nothing more than to get him here .That being said, how much better goaltending can we expect to get than we Got this year? Would be nice to get a potential young franchise goalie in the fold but I wouldn’t expect him to be as good as Lehner and Greiss have been this year right away.

This team needs star power up top in the scoring area.

Sorokin is going to come when he decides he wants to. Simple as that. Right now Lehner snd Greiss platoon works and is the least of our problems it seems.

This is how I see it. Let's just say Sorokin wins a championship this year in the KHL, and he accomplishes every thing he wants to at the KHL level. He may go to his agent and say, let's find a way out of my final year. Obviously Lou and Barry would welcome him with open arms with Lehner not being signed right now.

I 100% agree with you, The Isles need star power. I can't see why anyone would disagree with this. They also need the players they own that are NHL ready, to be in their uniform. There are no guarantees he will become a star in the NHL, for which I will be shocked if he isn't. Especially with the Korn and Trotz factor, I would be more surprised if he doesn't become a star.

Sorokin is ready, he already has done alot in the KHL. If he does win a championship and say climb all mountains left in the KHL. Who knows he may push for his release. We already know he loved the Lou hiring as I posted in his prospects thread. Would be a coup if the Isles get him in an Isles uniform next year.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think the sooner we get him here the better. Ingratiate into the culture and teachings of Korn.

I’m betting Greiss has value around the league w his stellar season. Trade him at the draft of you have Sorokin in fold. That’s an additional pick to then trade for other augmentations, eg scoring.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not that I see it happening but imagine after a less then average season BC wins the NCAA finals(they just need to win 3 more games at this point)
Less talented team does great in playoffs by playing disciplined defensive hockey.

I like the sound of that. ;)

Reactions: dood

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
No, because there's a category for Hardest Shot, too.

In the past I took "Best shot" to mean most accurate. But that doesn't seem to be the case since it's missing a few guys who potted 50+ goals this year.

I was curious, so here are the top 3 from the last few years:

This Year
Best Shot:
Eastern Conference:

1. Arthur Kaliyev, Hamilton Bulldogs (35)
2. Justin Brazeau, North Bay Battalion (24)
3. Brandon Saigeon, Oshawa Generals (11)
Western Conference:
1. Bode Wilde, Saginaw Spirit (28)
2. Nick Suzuki, Guelph Storm (27) – finished tied for second in 2017-18
3. Hugo Leufvenius, Sarnia Sting (15)

2017-18
Best Shot:
Eastern Conference:

1. Owen Tippett, Mississauga Steelheads (39) – finished first in 2016-17
2. Andrei Svechnikov, Barrie Colts (16)
3. Jason Robertson, Kingston Frontenacs (13)

Western Conference:
1. Adam Mascherin, Kitchener Rangers (45) – finished second in 2016-17 and first in 2015-16
2. Evan Bouchard, London Knights (17)
2. Nick Suzuki, Owen Sound Attack (17)

2016-17
Best Shot:
Eastern Conference:

1. Owen Tippett, Mississauga Steelheads (41)
2. Ryan Mantha, Niagara IceDogs (17)
3. Dmitry Sokolov, Sudbury Wolves (15)
Western Conference:
1. Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (43) – finished third in 2015-16
2. Adam Mascherin, Kitchener Rangers (23) – finished first in 2015-16
3. Kole Sherwood, Flint Firebirds (16)

2015-16
Best Shot:
Eastern Conference:

1. Mike Amadio, North Bay Battalion (35)
2. Spencer Watson, Kingston Frontenacs (30)
3. Alex Nylander, Mississauga Steelheads tied Greg Betzold, Peterborough Petes (7)
Western Conference:
1. Adam Mascherin, Kitchener Rangers (28)
2. Travis Konecny, Sarnia Sting (25)
3. Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (16)

2014-15
Best Shot:
Eastern Conference:

1. Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa Generals (30)
2. Brendan Perlini, Niagara IceDogs (22)
3. Joseph Blandisi, Barrie Colts (10)
Western Conference:
1. Max Domi, London Knights (20)
2. Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting (16)
3. Nick Baptiste, Erie Otters (14)

Anything jump out at anyone? (Don't say MDC lol)

scott99

May 13, 2005
(realize you're being sarcastic)

The best went to someone drafted as an overager, who is in his 5th OHL season. If Bode Wilde is the OHL next year, he'd destroy the league offensively.
Yes sir, your sarcasm meter is working. If you know me, I’ve been a Bode Wilde fan for quite some time, even when some of the Negative Nancies here were worried about him, I was stating I would’ve been fine with taking him at 12 (people were saying I’m nuts), if the other top Dmen were gone. Who knew Dobson would be there at 12 and Wilde would be there at 42 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad