Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
18. Dobson
Dobson’s counting numbers will not impress anyone at first glance, but he played the first half on an awful Bathurst team. He’s a great player who has continued to win me over through the course of the season. He’ll never be a first power play guy in the NHL, but I see a tough minutes defenseman who can play every situation. He’s very mobile, especially for 6-foot-3, smart defensively, moves the puck well and has better hands than I thought last season. I expect him to have a monster second half since being traded in the QMJHL.

21. Bode Wilde
Wilde sparks much debate in scouting circles due to his tremendous natural ability, combined with a draft season that had significant ups and downs, and questions about his decision-making. The latter hasn’t struck me as an issue this season. He certainly has a gambler mentality to his play and lives on the edge with the puck, but he’s made an impact with his skating and skill. He can take over a shift and that’s hard to find.

27. Oliver Wahlstrom
Wahlstrom’s season is the subject of much debate. With every scout I’ve talked to this season, his name comes up at least once. Last season Wahlstrom seemed to score at will, putting up monster numbers at the USNTDP. He still has his big shot and his great hands, but his freshman season at Boston College has been a bit rocky. His compete level and pace hasn’t always been the best, per scouts who’ve been to B.C. games. That said, he still gets his chances, makes some plays and had a good world juniors. I’m not ready to get off the Wahlstrom bandwagon, but it would be nice to see a four-point weekend from him soon.

All three were classified as “Very Good NHL prospects”

Honorable mention: Michael Dal Colle

Goalie ranks 3. Ilya Sorokin
Sorokin is having yet another great season in the KHL. He’s a well-rounded goaltender. He’s big, moves well but does so economically, squares up a lot of pucks and is a calming presence in the net. The big question on Sorokin is when is he coming over; with his contract expiring in 2020, Islanders fans will have to reserve a little more patience.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
18. Dobson
Dobson’s counting numbers will not impress anyone at first glance, but he played the first half on an awful Bathurst team. He’s a great player who has continued to win me over through the course of the season. He’ll never be a first power play guy in the NHL, but I see a tough minutes defenseman who can play every situation. He’s very mobile, especially for 6-foot-3, smart defensively, moves the puck well and has better hands than I thought last season. I expect him to have a monster second half since being traded in the QMJHL.

21. Bode Wilde
Wilde sparks much debate in scouting circles due to his tremendous natural ability, combined with a draft season that had significant ups and downs, and questions about his decision-making. The latter hasn’t struck me as an issue this season. He certainly has a gambler mentality to his play and lives on the edge with the puck, but he’s made an impact with his skating and skill. He can take over a shift and that’s hard to find.

27. Oliver Wahlstrom
Wahlstrom’s season is the subject of much debate. With every scout I’ve talked to this season, his name comes up at least once. Last season Wahlstrom seemed to score at will, putting up monster numbers at the USNTDP. He still has his big shot and his great hands, but his freshman season at Boston College has been a bit rocky. His compete level and pace hasn’t always been the best, per scouts who’ve been to B.C. games. That said, he still gets his chances, makes some plays and had a good world juniors. I’m not ready to get off the Wahlstrom bandwagon, but it would be nice to see a four-point weekend from him soon.

Sorokin is having yet another great season in the KHL. He’s a well-rounded goaltender. He’s big, moves well but does so economically, squares up a lot of pucks and is a calming presence in the net. The big question on Sorokin is when is he coming over; with his contract expiring in 2020, Islanders fans will have to reserve a little more patience.

Hey, thanks for posting this.
An interesting read.

I am not surprised about the comments regarding Dobson & Sorokin. Posters who watch them have been saying similar comments . I did not expect such high praise for Wilde or an honorable mention for MDC.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hey, thanks for posting this.
An interesting read.

I am not surprised about the comments regarding Dobson & Sorokin. Posters who watch them have been saying similar comments . I did not expect such high praise for Wilde or an honorable mention for MDC.
MDC might turn out to be the classic late bloomer. He has skill and a shot - the issue has always been whether he would have the will, the physical strength and the skating to get to the positions where he could use his skill and shot. We should be encouraged that he's apparently worked and made some progress in those areas. If he keeps it up he could have a bright future.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
18. Dobson

21. Bode Wilde

27. Oliver Wahlstrom

one more...

30. Ruslan Iskhakov, LW, New York Islanders
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 70
Physical Game: 20
Hockey sense: 65
There are few prospects I’ve thought more about this season than Iskhakov. He’s a 5-foot-8 winger, around a half point per game playing for UConn as a freshman, which typically doesn’t suggest great NHL prospect. However, his pure skill level is “oh my” good. He makes plays nobody else at that level can make. He’s a fantastic playmaker who has added more pace to his game since last season and has truly elite hands. Iskhakov can be a victim of trying to do too much at times and needs a lot of work physically. His upside is through the roof if he ever puts it together and I think he will. He’s had games where he does a lot of good things but the points don’t come, and I think he’ll have a big second half.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
These thoughts as well....

Any thoughts on otto koivula in bridgeport? Ive read he has been solid this year. (I did not expect him on this list)

Corey Pronman
STAFF
1h ago
1 like
@james S. He's good on way up stock-wise for me. Feet worry me for this range of prospect but I like him.
Matthew K.
2h ago
2 likes

How about Keiffer Bellows?

Corey Pronman
STAFF
1h ago
@Matthew K. I like Kieffer but he's been just fine for me this season when watched BPT. Like shot, skill, compete but hasn't made a ton of plays in games I've watched.

Reactions: Macch

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Skarek is ranked 19th amongst goalies also.

So it's
  • Dobson - up from 36 to 18
  • Wilde - up from 57 to 21
  • Wahlstom - down from 13 to 27
  • Ishakov - up from 53 to 30
  • Sorokin - remains at 3
  • Skarek - up from Honorable Mention to 19
  • Dal Colle is ineligible because he's in the NHL.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Pronman is always a good read. Don't always agree with his takes, but you can tell that he's a hockey junkie who watches all of these kids and forms his own informed opinions. It's original well thought content like that which makes the Athletic such a worthwhile subscription.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I am sure Rangers fans are happy to see Kravstov #1 and Wahl not on the list at all.

I don't really agree with much of Button's list tbh - very peculiar

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's heavily biased towards International Tournament showings. The WJC is the highlight of his year.

He always does. It’s odd because Kravtsov and Wahlstrom has similar numbers at the WJC. Kravtsov also played way more minutes in the top line for Russia.

Kravtsov 7gp 2g 4a 6pts
Wahlstrom 7gp 2g 2a 4pts. In my heart Wahlstrom has 3 goals because that was a BS call to take that goal away.

Button probably also puts stock in Kravtsov playing in a pro league. He’s always had off rankings in regards to foreign players. I actually like button but sometimes it seems he’ll throw a European player up high hoping to later be able to say he was the one that was on this guy all along.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I am sure Rangers fans are happy to see Kravstov #1 and Wahl not on the list at all.

Exact. While Oilers fans may not appreciate the absence of Bouchard (while Dobson is there!). But I agree, Kravtsov number one, while Wahlstrom (despite his season so far, say rather average)not in the top 50 at all seems a little exaggerated. And probably Wilde too should have been there..

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

You have to give them something, lol. I am interested to see what happens with Igor Shestyorkin. I find it hard to believe that Putin is going to let the goalie from his favorite team just walk away. Unless they prefer Hellberg, then maybe Igor can slip away.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I don't see the allure of Ishakov yet, stat watching only.
Reading comments from people who has watched IshAkhov play is that he’s been there best player almost every game but plays on a bad team. We had one person here who watched him live and praised Ishakov how good he looked. Pronman if you read his Twitter has gone to see Ishakov play a couple of times and had nothing but praise for the kid.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
He always does. It’s odd because Kravtsov and Wahlstrom has similar numbers at the WJC. Kravtsov also played way more minutes in the top line for Russia.

Kravtsov 7gp 2g 4a 6pts
Wahlstrom 7gp 2g 2a 4pts. In my heart Wahlstrom has 3 goals because that was a BS call to take that goal away.

Button probably also puts stock in Kravtsov playing in a pro league. He’s always had off rankings in regards to foreign players. I actually like button but sometimes it seems he’ll throw a European player up high hoping to later be able to say he was the one that was on this guy all along.

Kravtsov at #1 just shows how awful the list is.

Button cites Kravtsov playing center for his KHL team, which is in fact wrong.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Reading comments from people who has watched IshAkhov play is that he’s been there best player almost every game but plays on a bad team. We had one person here who watched him live and praised Ishakov how good he looked. Pronman if you read his Twitter has gone to see Ishakov play a couple of times and had nothing but praise for the kid.
Interesting.

I hope that's the case, he's got 4 years of college hockey to really grow and adapt so here's to it

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Interesting.

I hope that's the case, he's got 4 years of college hockey to really grow and adapt so here's to it

If he plays 4 years in college that's probably not the best scenario for the isles. Would love to have him sign and play in the AHL in 2 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad