Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If he plays 4 years in college that's probably not the best scenario for the isles. Would love to have him sign and play in the AHL in 2 years from now.
I don't know why but I just kind of figured if he's coming here to play college hockey it was the education he was after

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I don't know why but I just kind of figured if he's coming here to play college hockey it was the education he was after

I would guess not. I imagine his English isn't the best. According to Uconns profile he hasn't declared a major.

My assumption is he wants to play in the NHL, and the college route gives him the fastest path to the league.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I would guess not. I imagine his English isn't the best. According to Uconns profile he hasn't declared a major.

My assumption is he wants to play in the NHL, and the college route gives him the fastest path to the league.
Yeah you're probably right. I feel like it's rare though, I don't think you see too many foreign players go the college route

Reactions: Hagstrom

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Yea it does seem out of the ordinary. I would assume he could have played in the KHL and got paid, so I'm assuming he is dedicated to playing the North American game. IMO I see this as a positive for BPST and the isles near future.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Whal dropped in Pronman’s rankings; Dob, Wilde, and Ish rose. In most of his Athletic musings Pronman goes out of his way to note Ish.

Bellows not mentioned.

Toews should’ve been had he been in Bridge.

Last edited:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I don't see the allure of Ishakov yet, stat watching only.

The allure is the talent you see when watching him. Him playing at Uconn does him a disservice because he's surrounded by talent that are levels below him and can't think or play on his level, while at the same time his competition is much larger than him so he can't dominate as a one man line. He needs to play with like-skilled players, but the talent is there.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
The allure is the talent you see when watching him. Him playing at Uconn does him a disservice because he's surrounded by talent that are levels below him and can't think or play on his level, while at the same time his competition is much larger than him so he can't dominate as a one man line. He needs to play with like-skilled players, but the talent is there.

Hoping everyone is right about Iskhakov talent because I am still stuck on Akil Thomas as being the pick in that spot. Time will tell.

Reactions: islesfan66

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Hoping everyone is right about Iskhakov talent because I am still stuck on Akil Thomas as being the pick in that spot. Time will tell.

I don't disagree, Thomas was certainly a safer pick in that spot in a lot of respects.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Whal dropped in Pronman’s rankings; Dob, Wilde, and Ish rose. In most of his Athletic musings Pronman goes out of his way to note Ish.

Bellows not mentioned.

Toews should’ve been had he been in Bridge.

How far did he drop? Not a Pronman prospect.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It'd bother me a lot more if he was taken soon after the Islanders picked, but given that 6 other teams agreed there was a better option than him (Washington even thought there were two better options) where the Islanders picked, it'll hardly keep me up at night. I think a lot of scouts didn't like that Akil doesn't really have any standout skill to point to that'll help him become an impact player at the NHL level. He's just kind of above average at most things and gets his points mostly on positioning, but that can make for a difficult transition to the NHL. Not saying he won't turn out better than Ishkakov, but I can see how scouts would think Ish had a better chance of becoming an impact NHL player -- though, I do think most would agree Ish has a higher chance of being a bust as well.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Pronman answered a few questions about the Isles in his Q&A.

• Says of the players ranked 20th or higher, Wilde has the best chance of being best of the entire list.
  • Someone asked about Cockerill: "He's my tiny son. Wish he produced more but I love the way he plays."
  • Asked about the org: "One can imagine it'll be top 15 if I did it right now but other than that I can't give an exact #."
  • On Wilde being a turnover machine compared to Samuelson: "Yes Bode may lose a puck when he rushes it up and a skilled play doesn't work, but when a defenseman banks the puck off the boards to nobody, isn't that a turnover? I see Mattias do that a lot! (And mind you I've come up on him a bit since the draft.)"
  • How much of Wahlstrom's season is on him vs on his team: "Million dollar question. Lot of opinions in scouting world about him right now."

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
After Corey Pronman, it's Craig Button's turn to go with his top 50. Only one prospect for the Islanders: Noah Dobson at 18.
www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872

I am one of those who truly likes a lot of what Button says and can totally see why he goes off the board with some things.

This said, I simply cannot agree with Kravtsov and Denisenko being the top 2 drafted prospects outside the NHL. Looks like he got a h§$%-on from watching Team RUS too closely at the WJC. No way these two can be placed ahead of even fellow Russian Kirill Kaprizov (14th) who is already in his 4th full season of KHL play, and had more points that Kravtsov will end up with this season when he was in his own draft year, and then upped the ante from 27-42 points in his post-draft season.

Won't even throw the minimal production of Denisenko into that equation

BTW, Button also has Sorokin ranked at 9th overall, so Dobson isn't the only prospect.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Yep, really gotta hope he's the real deal and overcomes A) size and B) average skating. Can be done. Isn't done often.

Pronman has been giving him love the whole time, so to speak.

I was surprised that we didn't grab a sure-fire center though. There were several safer possibilities on the board.

Yes, Akil Thomas was one of the interesting center names still on the board.

I will also closely watch Swedes Hallander (already signed an ELC), Gustafsson, and Olofsson, for whom I hold high regards and thought we should have used a 2nd rounder on. I also felt center Benoit-Olivier Groulx would have been a very safe pick at that juncture.

Personally, I thought that if you were gonna risk one of those picks on a Russian winger, Kirill Marchenko would have been the kid I'd have taken. A lot more size. Just as much offense to date.

But the future will tell. Sure hope Ish has some Kucherov in him when all is said and done.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yep, really gotta hope he's the real deal and overcomes A) size and B) average skating. Can be done. Isn't done often.

I was surprised that we didn't grab a sure-fire center though. There were several safer possibilities on the board.

I will also closely watch Swedes Hallander (already signed an ELC), Gustafsson, and Olofsson, for whom I hold high regards and thought we should have used a 2nd rounder on. I also felt center Benoit-Olivier Groulx would have been a very safe pick at that juncture.

Personally, I thought that if you were gonna risk one of those picks on a Russian winger, Kirill Marchenko would have been the kid I'd have taken. A lot more size. Just as much offense to date.

But the future will tell. Sure hope he has some Kucherov in him when all is said and done.

Ish’s edgework is better than his speed which makes me think he could turn out to be an NHLer.

Isn’t Marchenko and big right winger? I wouldn’t have minded him either.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I am one of those who truly likes a lot of what Button says and can totally see why he goes off the board with some things.

This said, I simply cannot agree with Kravtsov and Denisenko being the top 2 drafted prospects outside the NHL. Looks like he got a h§$%-on from watching Team RUS too closely at the WJC. No way these two can be placed ahead of even fellow Russian Kirill Kaprizov (14th) who is already in his 4th full season of KHL play, and had more points that Kravtsov will end up with this season when he was in his own draft year, and then upped the ante from 27-42 points in his post-draft season.

Won't even throw the minimal production of Denisenko into that equation

BTW, Button also has Sorokin ranked at 9th overall, so Dobson isn't the only prospect.
Yes, I had noticed afterwards, and I had mentioned it in the following message.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

scott99

May 13, 2005

But the future will tell. Sure hope Ish has some Kucherov in him when all is said and done.

The guy in bold, THAT'S who I wanted. You want a Russian guy, you pick the higher rated Russian. Though he did have a very weak WJC.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I was so high on wahlstrom, loved him
When picked and at the prospect scrimmage hopefully this is just part of his development

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I was so high on wahlstrom, loved him
When picked and at the prospect scrimmage hopefully this is just part of his development

I think the concern over him is valid. Compete level doesn't usually change much. Players can lift weights to get stronger and work with skating coaches to improve but nobody but the player himself can do anything about compete level. If a person isn't self motivated that is a problem in most things that person chooses to do in life.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I think the concern over him is valid. Compete level doesn't usually change much. Players can lift weights to get stronger and work with skating coaches to improve but nobody but the player himself can do anything about compete level. If a person isn't self motivated that is a problem in most things that person chooses to do in life.

Guy's like wahlstrom, have been dedicated to being a pro since age 7-10. I highly doubt a guy with work ethic problems is so highly touted in his draft year.

Everyone remember bellows first year in college? Bellows struggled. We heard the same chirps of "work ethic" but it wasn't the issue at all. He performed great when he left college and played JRs. Now bellows has been progressing in the AHL, scored some nice goals and developing his overall game.

Wahlstrom will be fine. He's highly skilled, had a great WJC.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Guy's like wahlstrom, have been dedicated to being a pro since age 7-10. I highly doubt a guy with work ethic problems is so highly touted in his draft year.

Everyone remember bellows first year in college? Bellows struggled. We heard the same chirps of "work ethic" but it wasn't the issue at all. He performed great when he left college and played JRs. Now bellows has been progressing in the AHL, scored some nice goals and developing his overall game.

Wahlstrom will be fine. He's highly skilled, had a great WJC.

I never heard the concerns over Bellows compete level like we are hearing about Wahlstrom. And I disagree about his play at the WJC. It was ok but far from great. Whether you want to believe it or not the concerns over Wahlstrom are have been around for a while and are valid this year given his play. These are the same concerns which had him fall in the draft.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I never heard the concerns over Bellows compete level like we are hearing about Wahlstrom. And I disagree about his play at the WJC. It was ok but far from great. Whether you want to believe it or not the concerns over Wahlstrom are have been around for a while and are valid this year given his play. These are the same concerns which had him fall in the draft.
And hearing things along the lines of scouts are rumbling about him and not even making tsn top 50 prospects is alarming

Reactions: Thrasymachus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad