Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
These are the same experts that said Ryan Strome is a can't miss and how amazing Nail Yakpov is, and how the isles are going to finish dead last, and how Larkin is a top 20 pick but Sam Bennet is a top 3! These scouts are wrong more times than they are right. The kid is 19? Just turned 19 I think. I'm ecstatic with Wahlstrom, Wilde, Dobson from this draft. 3 studs.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Noah Dobson with the 1st star tonight in a 4-0 win at home. 2 assists and a +2.

He's 4-0 as a Huskie. 6 assists and +4 so far.

This is exactly what I and I guess everyone felt would happen when he went from a bottom-feeder to a top contender.

Sure hope it continues - I think it pretty much will.

Then it'll be time for him to be a difference-maker for that team in the playoffs.

We can't forget that a guy will always have an adjustment period after joining a new team. There's a lot for him to get accustomed to.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

If Sorokin came over he’d most likely not be in the AHL so if he could handle the nhl I’d trade Greiss and still re-sign Lehner long term.

Sorokin is going to take a couple of years to build up the work load of a starter.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

If Sorokin came over he’d most likely not be in the AHL so if he could handle the nhl I’d trade Greiss and still re-sign Lehner long term.

Sorokin is going to take a couple of years to build up the work load of a starter.

I'd keep Greiss and let Lehner walk. I think Lehner is going to want term, and I like Greiss more in a rotating role. There's a good chance goaltending will take a hit the first year of that tandem, though.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
tough call. If this has legs, Lou has some decisions. Personally there is alot of hockey left to see which goalie rises during the stretch

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Or he's just really, really special and can start right away, because he's already 23 and has basically been a 1A starter at the KHL level for 4 straight seasons, not once posting more than a 1.61 GAA or less than a .929 save percentage.

This is not your average prospect at this point.

And he's not coming over to spend a season or two in the AHL.

Reactions: Islesfan22

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Or he's just really, really special and can start right away, because he's already 23 and has basically been a 1A starter at the KHL level for 4 straight seasons, not once posting more than a 1.61 GAA or less than a .929 save percentage.

I think Griess is good enough to split the workload with Sorokin in their first year, which would ensure he’s not thrusted into 50+ games his first season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I said he’s not going to play in the AHL.

The KHL season is a lot shorter than the KHL season. It takes awhile to build up to that workload.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Sorokin comes over, I'd look to trade Greiss. Best case, Sorokin comes over and we have three goalies heading into camp and pre-season. Then trade Greiss if Sorokin seems NHL ready, otherwise send him down to the minors and roll with Lehner and Greiss again until Sorokin is ready.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Any posting the key points to the article from the non subscribers? Do they talk about realistic route of sorokin to the isles next season?

Reactions: PWJunior

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Any posting the key points to the article from the non subscribers? Do they talk about realistic route of sorokin to the isles next season?

Just says that the report about the buyout needing have been initiated a year in advance appears to be false, according to two sources. Sorokin can buy himself out before the end of the year, and the Isles aren't allowed to negotiate with him on a contract until after he does that. Seems to imply he'd go straight to the NHL.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Just says that the report about the buyout needing have been initiated a year in advance appears to be false, according to two sources. Sorokin can buy himself out before the end of the year, and the Isles aren't allowed to negotiate with him on a contract until after he does that. Seems to imply he'd go straight to the NHL.

Thanks mate. That's great news! Sounds to like Lou / malkin can make this happen.

Reactions: PK Cronin

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Also on Sorokin, his agent was at Northwell Ice this week (one assumes to meet with LL.)

Sorokin still remains on the hook for buying out his remaining year, and then he can sign a one-year deal in the NHL. The Islanders can't be a part of the payoff.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Also on Sorokin, his agent was at Northwell Ice this week (one assumes to meet with LL.)

Sorokin still remains on the hook for buying out his remaining year, and then he can sign a one-year deal in the NHL. The Islanders can't be a part of the payoff.

I hope you can fit a lot of money in your bunghole. It's going to take a small army of us to smuggle the money Christopher Walken style to Russia. :naughty:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I said he’s not going to play in the AHL.

The KHL season is a lot shorter than the KHL season. It takes awhile to build up to that workload.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you had directly pleaded for him spending time in the AHL.

That's a good point. He hasn't been playing even 50 games a season, playoffs combined, over in the KHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I don’t know if the bolder is true or not, but if it is, Sorokin can sign a one year ELC this season, and then sign for what he is making in the KHL this summer for going forward.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone wondering if Sorokin is feeling pressure from Lehner playing well and the rumors linking Bob to the Islanders?

He wants to get over, start working with Korn, and hopefully seize the opportunity and become a top goaltender. The Isles committing long-term to another option if he chooses to play out his KHL contract only to find he's blocked by another goaltender.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Anyone wondering if Sorokin is feeling pressure from Lehner playing well and the rumors linking Bob to the Islanders?

He wants to get over, start working with Korn, and hopefully seize the opportunity and become a top goaltender. The Isles committing long-term to another option if he chooses to play out his KHL contract only to find he's blocked by another goaltender.

He has a NA agent so the one thing I thought of is he’s probably in contact regularly with his agent and his agent probably updates him on the state of the isles. He was probably told about The isles having the best coach in the NHL and the great goalie coach in Korn. That could be very intriguing to Sorokin. The isles defensive system, Trotz, and Korn can be a great recipe for success for a young goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad